Ken Dorsey - would he choose OC here or leave to be Daboll's OC?

Heavy Kevi

There are some rumors that Daboll is going to get the Miami head coach job. .  If that does happen, and Dorsey has strong ties to the area because of his college career, I could see that happening.  On the other side of the ledger, Dorsey won't find any better situation as an offensive coordinator than he would have in Buffalo.  He would probably be well compensated.  There won't be any opportunity in the league to go to a situation that is set up better for success than Buffalo.  It doesn't hurt that he seems to have a great relationship with Josh Allen. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

All good.

But does this mean he can out coach BB or Spagnolo or Staley or Fangio or Tomlin in game?  

It would be foolish to not look at the talent that's going to be banging down our door to be OC here.  McD needs to know if Dorsey is ready to call plays for the start of peak Josh Allen or he needs to bring in the best guy possible.  

All due respect to Dorsey but he's never called plays.  

If they know he can do it and Allen gives his stamp of approval then fine.  But Dorsey is not the best OC that will be available.   

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, BigAl2526 said:

There are some rumors that Daboll is going to get the Miami head coach job. .  If that does happen, and Dorsey has strong ties to the area because of his college career, I could see that happening.  On the other side of the ledger, Dorsey won't find any better situation as an offensive coordinator than he would have in Buffalo.  He would probably be well compensated.  There won't be any opportunity in the league to go to a situation that is set up better for success than Buffalo.  It doesn't hurt that he seems to have a great relationship with Josh Allen. 

The only reason I can see Dorsey (who is from Cali) going to Miami with Daboll is because of the weather.  Outside of that, there is no other sane reason to take that job over the Bills'.

19 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

All good.

But does this mean he can out coach BB or Spagnolo or Staley or Fangio or Tomlin in game?  

It would be foolish to not look at the talent that's going to be banging down our door to be OC here.  McD needs to know if Dorsey is ready to call plays for the start of peak Josh Allen or he needs to bring in the best guy possible.  

All due respect to Dorsey but he's never called plays.  

If they know he can do it and Allen gives his stamp of approval then fine.  But Dorsey is not the best OC that will be available.   

Is there any OC out there (IOW a guy who is only available because he got fired, maybe multiple times, because he wasn't good enough at calling plays with his last team/teams) who definitively can do this?

14 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I wonder if McBeane even wants Dorsey as OC.  He may not have a choice but to leave or stay on as QB coach.  🤔

Giving Dorsey a promotion had to be greenlit by them.  So yes, I think they want him as OC.

On 1/26/2022 at 11:47 AM, No_Matter_What said:

Why would he leave to work with much lesser QB, whoever it will be? 

And on a team with a lot less offensive talent than the Bills have?  My guess is that if Daboll leaves, the Bills will tap Dorsey as OC.   OCs on perennial playoff teams with strong offenses are much more likely to get HC opportunities than OCs on perennial rebuilding teams.

23 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Correct but he was actually the passing game coordinator. I think what will happen is Dorsey to OC, chad hall to passing game coordinator, Shea tierney to QB coach 

Sounds like a solid plan ... don't try to "fix" what's not broke, and that certainly describes the Bills offense.  

1 minute ago, Greatdane21 said:

If Dabol leaves and wants to take Dorsey with him the Bills have no obligation to release him from his contract ! Refuse to let him go and have him take the O C 

job here

I'm sure that would work well.

😳

I'm actually now getting the vibe Daboll isn't getting a job.

On 1/26/2022 at 4:05 PM, HurlyBurly51 said:

QB coach to OC is not lateral.

If Buffalo offers him the OC position

On 1/26/2022 at 3:40 PM, damj said:

He would be the odds on favorite to stay and be the OC. If the Bills aren't making him OC, then they would let him go follow Daboll

Absolutely 

On 1/26/2022 at 2:34 PM, Mark80 said:

It wouldn't be lateral.  He is not our OC...yet.

The point is if he was offered the oc spot.

3 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I wonder if McBeane even wants Dorsey as OC.  He may not have a choice but to leave or stay on as QB coach.  🤔

In his end of season presser, Beane made it clear that he and McDermott had a list of names both internal and external; they value Josh Allen's opinion and value Dorsey but would do their "due diligence" (the term he used).

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

In his end of season presser, Beane made it clear that he and McDermott had a list of names both internal and external; they value Josh Allen's opinion and value Dorsey but would do their "due diligence" (the term he used).

I remember an interview of Beane, at least 2 years ago, where he mentioned timing isn't always right when hiring various coaches.  Sometimes your top choice isn't available or the person is available but a coaching position is not.

If Bills lose Daboll, I would think McD would want a person with previous NFL OC experience.  JMO

7 minutes ago, tenderland said:

New rumor is Daboll , Dorsey  and Trubisky to miami

Right.

Well not really "new" in terms of the 24 he news cycle, but yeah that's why I started this thread. I keep reading Daboll is taking dorsey with him, but that seems at odds with Josh clearly wanting Dorsey and McBeane saying they'll take Josh's opinion into consideration.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.