Ken Dorsey - would he choose OC here or leave to be Daboll's OC?

Heavy Kevi

On 1/26/2022 at 10:05 PM, HurlyBurly51 said:

QB coach to OC is not lateral.

Per NFL Rules technically (heh) it is with a big BUT:

What has changed since 2020, is teams can no longer block a member from interviewing for a "lateral" move to a coordinator for other teams.

NFL ANNOUNCES NEW STEPS TO ENHANCE DIVERSITY (nflcommunications.com)

(i) After the conclusion of the regular season through March 1, clubs are prohibited from

denying an assistant coach the opportunity to interview with a new team for a bona fide

Offensive Coordinator, Defensive Coordinator, or Special Teams Coordinator position.

Any dispute regarding whether the new team is offering a "bona fide" position will be

submitted promptly to the Commissioner, whose determination shall be final, binding

and not subject to further review. The Commissioner shall be authorized to request any

information that he deems necessary from the clubs involved in the dispute, and he may

consult with the Workplace Diversity Committee or Diversity Advisory Panel at his

discretion.

Criteria for hiring club:

In order for permission to be automatically granted, such a request cannot be for a shared position. A shared position is defined to include:

If there is another coach or consultant at the same position;

If there is a coach or consultant who has a similar responsibility title with the prefix "co-";

If on the side of the ball for which permission is sought, there is a coach or consultant who has any coordinating responsibility (run game coordinator, pass game coordinator, etc.) or who had such responsibility in the prior season.

In order to ask for permission, there can be no assistant coach on the hiring club's staff who has the title of assistant head coach or its equivalent.

For the purposes of this policy, the coordinator (offensive, defensive, or special teams) is defined as an individual whose job responsibilities at least include:

Leads/coordinates all "team" meetings on their side of the ball;

Reports directly to the Head Coach and supervises the position coaches on their side of the ball; and

Must play a role in the development of the game plan but is not required to call the plays during games.

Edited by timekills17
Removed some detail that confused the relevant portion

5 hours ago, Heavy Kevi said:

Right.

Well not really "new" in terms of the 24 he news cycle, but yeah that's why I started this thread. I keep reading Daboll is taking dorsey with him, but that seems at odds with Josh clearly wanting Dorsey and McBeane saying they'll take Josh's opinion into consideration.

Dorsey coached at Lakewood Ranch HS in Sarasota so he must’ve lived there already to take that job. Florida is probably attractive to him.

30 minutes ago, Rock-A-Bye Beasley said:

Just make him head coach the way Josh talked about him. 

does he win less than 10 games with this roster? 

does any coach?

Why not make Daboll the head coach then if we're talking crazy like you are?

On 1/26/2022 at 7:49 AM, Codyny13 said:

I don’t think the bills would release him from contract to make a lateral Move.

It wouldn't be a lateral move.  He's the QB coach now with the Bills and a job elsewhere would be as an OC.  If he DOES sign on as the new OC, then it would indeed be a lateral move to another team's OC position, but why would he sign here if he wants to go elsewhere?

31 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

My question is why would want to leave Allen and potentially go and coach either Tua or Jones?? That move in itself makes no sense

Disregard. Brain fart. Thought we were talking Daboll for a second.

Head Coach >>>>> Coordinator

It's that simple.

Edited by DrDawkinstein

13 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Not really, he didn’t even call the plays. Plus being an OC with Allen next year helps you out quite a bit of getting a HC spot. Going with Daboll possibly to Miami and there’s a chance you won’t be calling the plays. 

My bad, I got confused and for some reason thought you were talking about Daboll leaving.

Absolutely agree with you that Dorsey isnt going anywhere. His best OC spot is in Buffalo.

The Dolphins have officially requested a 2nd interview with Daboll.

(18) Ian Rapoport on Twitter: "The #Dolphins have now officially requested to interview #Bills OC Brian Daboll a second time, source said. Should be early next week… unless he gets the #Giants job." / Twitter

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I really didn’t think this would happen. Hope he’s wrong but he’s verified and a main reporter for NYG

I can't imagine he'd go if he would have the job here, not only does he go to a far more questionable situation, but he'll be the OC under an offensive Head Coach.

• Like (+1) 1

So Daboll is basically taking the whole offensive staff with him.

***** it.  Ask Josh McDaniels if he wants Daboll's old job.  Our system is supposed to based on the E-P Offense too, and he gets to coach a real QB again.

Nobody is going to say NE doesn't know how to generate YAC, or develop a screen game and a running game.

17 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I really didn’t think this would happen. Hope he’s wrong but he’s verified and a main reporter for NYG

Seems like a crazy move for both of them. Rookie HC with a rookie OC? Dorsey gets first OC gig without a top QB? Good luck to them.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.