Isaiah McKenzie aka, Lil Dirty, sounds like he’s moving on

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

The list of UFA WRs this year is eye opening 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/wide-receiver/

Jakeem Grant is an interesting name. Maybe a little faster than lil dirty. Probably could get at a better price. Would hate to lose the chemistry him and Josh had developed 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

My thoughts were that the better team won.

They aren't better by a lot..........but just enough to make the Bills the second best team in the NFL.

Most of us watched the Chiefs do this exact same type of thing to the Chargers in LA a month or so ago..........eventually chasing all those jack rabbits around tires out any defense and when an NFL defense is that tired they can't stop ANYTHING.  13 seconds and 3 TO's was like having a minute left.    Maybe you squib there but that's the same ST unit that just gave up a long return to Hill.    

They just needed KC to make one mistake at the end and they did not oblige.

We talked about this last offseason..........the Bills needed to add more speed on offense and notably improve the finishing ability of the pass rush..........they didn't actually accomplish either.

Instead they improved against the Chiefs this season because Allen got MUCH better over the course of this season and the OL gelled.

Better team? Possibly. But you didn't need a mistake from them at the end of the game. There were 13 seconds left. Drop all 11 into coverage to blanket their 5 receiving options. It would have been next to impossible to get into field goal range at that point.

The coaches weren't prepared. Blew the game and potentially a super bowl championship.

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Idk if 178 receiving yards is worth 4 million a year when we are so limited in cap space.

I think he's saying we may lose him because as use another team that needs a returner/wr may offer him a larger role on their team.  Alot more young quarterbacks that need some experienced wrs to help them develop -- while he might be welcomed to sign in Buffalo at a rate lower than he's offered elsewhere it becomes a question of what's in his best interest based of what he values most.  

For all we know Mckenzie may decide he prefers his restaurant in Miami and decides he's gonna walk away from the game.  Or he may decide he wants to play longer and sees what other teams offer him and he may see if buffalo can at least offer close to that and he stays with buffalo. 

As for the narrative that he may feel disrespected and signs elsewhere expecting better opportunities.  Perhaps, then again the whole benching him after the fumble may have been to give impression the staff didn't value Mckenzie and when he got targeted often in ne they seemed not to adjust to him like they didn't expect he'd be targeted as he was.  Theres also other equally talented fast  young wr who may decide they want to play with JA cause he has put enough on tape to see he's a elite qb that can carry a team.  So Bills may have a larger number of players that are competing for the chance to play in Buffalo.  They improve the oline to be the strongest unit then everything else on O looks better.  You have the best wr but with a weak oline you may never get much use of the best wrs so wasting resources. 

Edited by AuntieEm

I doubt that MacKenzie is interested in staying at this point.  He had a rough year with McD and it sounds like there were lots of trust issues.  This is a minor inconvenience and not a major problem.  The guy had one good game.  He is replaceable and being vastly overrated by the fans.  We need to upgrade the skill positions not run in place by overpaying for existing players.

Edited by FLFan
  • Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Actually Beane talked about it in his end season presser last year….. then proceeded to do nothing to attack speed offensively and then relied way to heavily on the draft to address the pass rush. 

As far as the last 13 seconds…. Their defensive alignment was perplexing to say the least. 

I am not sure we even needed to rush 3. We could have gone out there with Klein, Milano, Edmunds, and 8 DB's. It is a passing play anyways, would that not be ineligible man down field anyways? 

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

At least we know that FA WRs are probably going to line up to play here now. Beane, find a way to extend Diggs and sign davante Adams. 

I really think Diggs would be a beast slot wr with his route running, no knock on Diggs but he just isn't big/fast enough as a true 1. Get an adams on this team with Davis as wr2 and Diggs as a slot would be amazing. 

2 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Don’t forget McKenzie was a castoff. I am a UGA fan and want McKenzie back, but I also think his skill set isn’t hard to find. There will be plenty of fast small guys in the later rounds of the draft. Heck Stevenson is on the team already. 

Problem is McKenzie showed you he can do it in NFL games. The others are projections 

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I hate this time of year. 

I think this is a case of trying to read to much into something where we have no context.

This could be him just saying that to Josh after all he did on the field, leaving it all out there for the team.  Doesn't necessarily mean he is saying good bye.  I mean if he was saying good bye, why would he only do that to Allen and not others he is close with on the team or to the Bills or Bills Mafia in general?

So for me, this is nothing other than a show of gratitude for the warrior Allen is.  I seriously seriously seriously doubt that anyone in the organization has gone up to McKenzie and told him already he wont be brought back.  

My 2 cents:  Nothing to see here but respect between teammates.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Wyobills89 said:

I really think Diggs would be a beast slot wr with his route running, no knock on Diggs but he just isn't big/fast enough as a true 1. Get an adams on this team with Davis as wr2 and Diggs as a slot would be amazing. 

Diggs showed he’s a #1 yesterday. KC took him out the game and made somebody else beat them. Davis stepped to the plate!

Just now, Solomon Grundy said:

Problem is McKenzie showed you he can do it in NFL games. The others are projections 

He had a couple of good games and honestly I think Josh will make a lot of receivers look good. Invest in the lines. We need to think about Knox and Diggs and Davis in two years.  Maybe the can sign McKenzie to a three year deal which they can get out of after 2023. I really don’t think he is a must keep piece.  And he proved he could do it by getting the experience. 

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

The list of UFA WRs this year is eye opening 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/wide-receiver/

I know he's expressed interest in staying with the Jest but I wouldn't mind having Braxton Berrios as a possible replacement for Beasley in the slot. He is also a dynamic returner. That kills two birds with one stone, especially if the Bills let McKenzie walk.

• Like (+1) 1

If the market for McKenzie ends up being weak, I'd take him cheap as our #4 WR going into the season. Just not really interested in anything more than that; we can almost certainly find a better WR to pair with Diggs and Davis without spending a ton.

5 minutes ago, Wyobills89 said:

He's literally been one of the best #1 WRs in the league the past two years (and arguably before that as well).

Edited by DCOrange
  • Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Brennan Huff said:

I’m not going to read too much into this. I think Beasley and Sanders both walk. Diggs/Davis/Dirty. Triple D

I want McKenzie back, but I would absolutely set a limit on how much I’d be willing to pay for him. If he wants more than $4M/year, I would absolutely walk away from him.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Victory Formation said:

I want McKenzie back, but I would absolutely set a limit on how much I’d be willing to pay for him. If he wants more than $4M/year, I would absolutely walk away from him.

Oh yeah I certainly wouldn’t break the bank for him. I don’t think too many other teams would either 

1 minute ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

He had a couple of good games and honestly I think Josh will make a lot of receivers look good. Invest in the lines. We need to think about Knox and Diggs and Davis in two years.  Maybe the can sign McKenzie to a three year deal which they can get out of after 2023. I really don’t think he is a must keep piece.  And he proved he could do it by getting the experience. 

Like I said earlier, I think Jakeem Grant can be a helluva weapon for the Bills. He’s the closest thing to Tyreek Hill out there

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

He's literally been one of the best #1 WRs in the league the past two years (and arguably before that as well).

I should of stated that different. Yes Diggs is an excellent wr. I suppose I'm greedy but you do hardly see him with deep contestest catches, which I suppose probley only a handful of guys will be able to do.

He did his job well. I just have a feeling he would be an unstoppable slot player. I could be way off though.

8 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

I know he's expressed interest in staying with the Jest but I wouldn't mind having Braxton Berrios as a possible replacement for Beasley in the slot. He is also a dynamic returner. That kills two birds with one stone, especially if the Bills let McKenzie walk.

I like the idea of dynamic returners turning a 5 yard crosser into a 70 yard TD… sign me up

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Yes, but they won’t go crazy when it’s 1 game imo. 

I think the point is on a per-snap basis he was pretty durn productive and did some eye-popping things.

I don't expect him to be offered a $6M/yr contract, but I think someone might offer him a $2-3M "prove it" deal with substantial guarantees, to see what he can do if he's given a broader role.  Or a contract similar to what he had this year, but a multi-year deal with more signing bonus.

53 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

I don't think he's going to get that from anyone.  I don't think the Bills want him back unless they get him for what they offered this year - 1 year at minimum salary with minimal guaranteed.  I think he may get offered more.

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Like I said, I’d like for McKenzie to stay, but at the right price. I’d take him as consolation. Guess who his college QB was..

He looks like he's 4'10" out there. But, he sure is fast and has got the moves.

I like McKenzie and I'd like to have him back.  

But also he's a gadget player.  If we want another guy like that, we can find one.  The long-run biggest danger our team faces is getting all sentimental about players and wanting to keep the band together at all costs.  You have to be willing to be Belichickian and players walk when their price gets up to the point that they're no longer a bargain.  We have a $250 million QB who is going to start to eating up a big part of our cap in another year or two -- we can't make that work without looking for value at other positions.

Dude has literally had 1 good game in his career and never had more than 303 scrimmage yards in a season. He's nothing more than a average returner/gadget player, but some people are acting like we'd be losing some game changing playmaker.

2 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

Seems like he is a clear better, faster, and more versatile replacement for Beasley, no?

No

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

IMHO, McKenzie is one of those "replaceable" guys that the Bills keep trying to replace - and failing to find a better option.

This season, Breida and Stevenson were supposed to replace him.  How'd that work out?

Breida is/was the best player on the team with the ball in his hands and they completely removed him from the offense because Josh muffed a handoff to him.

4 hours ago, Since1981 said:

Despite last night….

I think you still work on OL RB and Edge. Josh can help the defense by just blowing ahead in every single game. 

I just don’t know how you “stop” pat, you slow him as we did. 

Exactly.  The punts are why they lost.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.