Mitch Morse ready to retire?

ToBillsFan

He said something that I found interesting in his post game presser. He said specifically that they won’t be back as the same unit again. Now he could have been talking about free agents not returning or new free agents/draft picks coming in but something tells me he will retire. The way he was acknowledging all the KC players and fans as is another tell. He didn’t do that after the loss last year. Then there is always the concussion topic which we know he has experienced.

thoughts?

Edited by ToBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 2

Could care less about re-signing anyone on the defense, and McKenzie - depends on the price - but I’m hoping we extend Bates and bring back this starting unit (while also drafting an IOL early in the draft).  

If he retires that’s certainly not ideal.  

I do tend to think he means as a team.  There’s a bunch of guys on that defense that, not might.. won’t be back next year.  

Edited by SCBills
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, ToBillsFan said:

He said something that I found interesting in his post game presser. He said specifically that they won’t be back as the same unit again. Now he could have been talking about free agents not returning or new free agents/draft picks coming in but something tells me he will retire. The way he was acknowledging all the KC players and fans as is another tell. He didn’t do that after the loss last year.

thoughts?

Possibly, but he's only 29. And he still has a job to do.

• Like (+1) 1

Here is video of his minutes at the podium after the game.  Several times he did reference not taking the field as the same unit ever again, but I didn't necessarily take that as a personal declaration of departure as much as acknowledgement of the the reality of roster turnover every year in the NFL.  I believe he has in his heart, Beasley, Sanders, Daboll etc...  They are a very close group and he knows there will be turnover, perhaps including himself.  

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

• ToBillsFan changed the title to Mitch Morse ready to retire?
14 minutes ago, purple haze said:

Turnover on rosters every year.  Players know that.   Don’t read too much into it.  

Could be more than that,  Beane basically did next to nothing from last season after losing in title game.  Other than Sanders and draft,  we were basically the same team.  I think because of all the in season struggles with our line there will be changes.  The Bills can create about 35 million in cap space cutting guys like Star/Addision/Klein/Beasley/Ford/Moss/ Feliciano and a couple of others who play on ST'S.  If they include Morse that goes to around 42-43 million

I think Beane adds a couple of play makers to starting 11 defence. Other than White they have no elite play makers on defence

• Disagree 1

26 minutes ago, ToBillsFan said:

He said something that I found interesting in his post game presser. He said specifically that they won’t be back as the same unit again. Now he could have been talking about free agents not returning or new free agents/draft picks coming in but something tells me he will retire. The way he was acknowledging all the KC players and fans as is another tell. He didn’t do that after the loss last year. Then there is always the concussion topic which we know he has experienced.

thoughts?

I took that to mean some players will not be back next season.  Each team typically turns over 20% to 30% of their roster each year.

Edited by longtimebillsfan

Morse spent an awful lot of time after the game congratulating his former KC teammates and coaches. It certainly had the look of equal parts congratulations and goodbye. 

It's always hard to project our feelings on these players who (let's be honest) aren't our personal friends. But having said that, Morse just seems like an unusually fine and decent man as well as a true professional on the field. Good luck to him wherever the future may hold for him.

• Like (+1) 5

I think there have been some rumblings about Morse retiring. Some dude talked to his uncle in an airport and he implied he wasn’t returning (can’t remember which thread, take with a grain of salt). I think he also takes care of his disabled brother in KC, which he might want to spend more time doing.

4 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

I think there have been some rumblings about Morse retiring. Some dude talked to his uncle in an airport and he implied he wasn’t returning (can’t remember which thread, take with a grain of salt). I think he also takes care of his disabled brother in KC, which he might want to spend more time doing.

I just came to post this. There is a poster on this board who said before the season that he talked to Morse's relative and that this would be his final season in NFL. I don't take it for granted but it makes sense to me, and OPs observations seem to confirm it.

If he retires I want to say thank you for what he has done here. He was one of the best Beane's FA signings, and very underrated one.

15 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

We need to get a couple road graders on the Oline with the center possibly being one of them.

We need a top 10 rushing attack that doesn’t include Josh ( as a staple)

Agreed.  Singletary came on late in teh season but I still feel like the need a Fournette type that can get you 3 yards when you need it.  We also need an OC that doesn't take the middle part of the game to practice his contrarian playcalling.  We have a generational talent at QB and a legit receiving corps, so what does he do?  In the biggest game for this group?  Let's get cute and call a bunch of runs against a DL that was living in our backfield.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

26 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

Could be more than that,  Beane basically did next to nothing from last season after losing in title game.  Other than Sanders and draft,  we were basically the same team.  I think because of all the in season struggles with our line there will be changes.  The Bills can create about 35 million in cap space cutting guys like Star/Addision/Klein/Beasley/Ford/Moss/ Feliciano and a couple of others who play on ST'S.  If they include Morse that goes to around 42-43 million

I think Beane adds a couple of play makers to starting 11 defence. Other than White they have no elite play makers on defence

Why would we cut our starting center just to save cap space? Who plays center then?

Beasley should stay. He's still very good. Extend him 1 year to save space if you want

1 hour ago, jamiezzz said:

I hope he was referring to Edmunds not returning.

The guy running away from the receiver on a crucial big gain? No no, he’s too good in coverage to lose.

52 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

Well, if he retires, I'm so glad we drafted All-Pro Creed Humphry last year instead of invisible Boogie Basham...oh, wait.  

Looks even worse when they are on the same field.

1 hour ago, No Place To Hyde said:

Well, he's pushing 30. Made a ton of money. Has a concussion history and just had a new baby.

As a Bills fan I hate to think he may retire "early". He would be missed. However if he wants to enjoy life with his family and walk away before more brain injuries...I get that too. 

If I were him I’d be done.  Real life is way more important than football or any job for that matter.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dorquemada said:

Agreed.  Singletary came on late in teh season but I still feel like the need a Fournette type that can get you 3 yards when you need it.  We also need an OC that doesn't take the middle part of the game to practice his contrarian playcalling.  We have a generational talent at QB and a legit receiving corps, so what does he do?  In the biggest game for this group?  Let's get cute and call a bunch of runs against a DL that was living in our backfield.

I was thinking in real time. And yelling at my TV, “ You gotta let Josh, Josh….. conservative ain’t gonna cut it.” 
    I have no doubt that that is when we sealed our fate/ second quarter.

I’m literally sick to my stomach today.

17 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

That one is going to haunt us for a long time.  It's amazing the Chiefs were able to grab both Humphry and Bolton in that Draft.

I'm ready to cast dispersion on the scouting department. They passed on Metcalf 3Xs. Jonathan Taylor's tread on his tires were worn. Boogie Basham was a higher priority than Humphrey/Bolton. I'm a firm believer in the tape don't lie. Look for the players that's making impact plays on a weekly basis and try your damnedest to acquire such a player. Deebo Samuel, Jeffrey Simmons, Cam Akers all dominated the collegiate scene and could've been had by the Bills. Were there concerns with the players injuries going into the drafts? If so, this is an indictment of their medical staff. Picture these guys on the roster. Get the playmakers. Quit with the diamond in the rough stuff. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Solomon Grundy said:

I'm ready to cast dispersion on the scouting department. They passed on Metcalf 3Xs. Jonathan Taylor's tread on his tires were worn. Boogie Basham was a higher priority than Humphrey/Bolton. I'm a firm believer in the tape don't lie. Look for the players that's making impact plays on a weekly basis and try your damnedest to acquire such a player. Deebo Samuel, Jeffrey Simmons, Cam Akers all dominated the collegiate scene and could've been had by the Bills. Were there concerns with the players injuries going into the drafts? If so, this is an indictment of their medical staff. Picture these guys on the roster. Get the playmakers. Quit with the diamond in the rough stuff. 

Agreed.  We are beyond lucky to have Allen but I am nervous some of Beane's draft misses will prevent us from having the overall team to go all the way.  I'm not saying that is a Definite but something very concerning at the moment.  

4 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

Agreed.  We are beyond lucky to have Allen but I am nervous some of Beane's draft misses will prevent us from having the overall team to go all the way.  I'm not saying that is a Definite but something very concerning at the moment.  

2019, Cody Ford is pick #38. Deebo Samuel is pick 39. 😢

• Sad 1

I think Mitch will play out his contract at the very least he has been the most steady on the O line this year & has played up to his contract & i think he wants a ring as bad as Josh does and can knows the only other QB in the league that is close to the one he plays with is the one that won the game last night .

As a player you only get one go at it & for him to be this close 2 yrs in a row and to walk away i'm not seeing it especially how he talked about Josh in his post game presser he's not going any where & if he does i would be totally surprised !! 

3 hours ago, ToBillsFan said:

thoughts?

I fully he was referring to the fact rosters always change from one season to the next.   When it comes to the Bills they only have about $9 million in cap space band the following are going to Unrestricted Free Agents:

Jerry Hughes

Mario Addison

Vernon Butler

Emmanuel Sanders

Mitch Trubisky

Ike Boettger

Levi Wallace

Twain Jones

Efe Obada

Isaiah McKenzie

Matt Breida

Harrison Phillips

Justin Zimmer

Siran Neal

With only $9 million to spend they can't keep all of them - if the wanted to - plus they are going to need roughly $9.5 million for the rookie draft pool.

Oh and Ryan Bates is going to be a RFA.  I don't see them giving him a 1st round tender but if they put a 2nd tender on him he's get a contract worth the greater of $3.384 million or 110% of prior-year base salary.  Seeing he made $850,000 this past season that would mean he'd get the $3.384 million.  They won't put an original round tender on him because he was a UDFA.   If they put Right-of-first-refusal tender on him he'd be offered a 1 year contract worth $2.133 million and the Bills would have the ability to match any offer from a another team.

If they released Morse they would save $8.5 million and have $2.75 in dead cap money but them who moves to center?  If they release Beasley they would save $6.1 million against the cap and have $1.5 in dead cap.   If the let Klein go hey save nearly $5.2 million and have a 400k dead cap hit. Ford would save them 1.52 million and count as $870 in dead cap space.  Matakevich would save them $2.5 million and cost a hit of 750K.  Releasing Feliciano would save $3.4 million and leave a dead cap hit of $1.5 million

They are going to be changes.  Players released.  Some contracts reworked.  All of the UFAs won't be back.  The unit won't be the same.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Watching him after the game I had the thought he is retiring. He went around the field having long conversations and hugs, especially with KC players/coaches. Could be nothing, but watching my mind went to he is retiring. 

1 hour ago, Solomon Grundy said:

2019, Cody Ford is pick #38. Deebo Samuel is pick 39. 😢

Dont remind us. Deebo on this team would be ridiculous. 

Just now, ngbills said:

Watching him after the game I had the thought he is retiring. He went around the field having long conversations and hugs, especially with KC players/coaches. Could be nothing, but watching my mind went to he is retiring. 

Maybe the Chiefs players and coaches felt sorry for him because he played there for years and then moved the year they won the SB..

2 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Maybe the Chiefs players and coaches felt sorry for him because he played there for years and then moved the year they won the SB..

Seemed like he was the one taking the initiative. Seeking guys out etc. Could be just being a class act or could be something. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, dorquemada said:

A player like Fournette?  LMAO!!

In the regular season:

Fournette 180 carries for 812 yards a 4.5 average - a long of 47 yards, 5 carries for 20 or more yards - 8 TDs - 45 1st downs - 2.5 yards after contact

Singletary 188 carries for 870 yards a 4.6 average - a long of 46 yards, 6 carries for 20 or more yards - 7 TDs - 44 1st down - 2.4 yards after contact

In the post season:

Fournette 13 carries for 51 yards a 3.9 average - a long of 11 yards - 2 TDs - 5 1st downs

Singletary 26 carries for 107 yards a 4.1 average - a long of 16 yards - 3 TDs - 11 1st downs

So you want a guy that is basically the same guy?  Ummm, ok.

4 hours ago, ToBillsFan said:

thoughts?

we won’t be the same unit next year

he was visiting with former teammates and now regular and respected opponents 

he may be retiring but to say it based off those items is finding pieces that fit what you are looking to see

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.