Bills cut squats from their workouts during the season

JPL7

Yeah I mean it's a great strength exercise but fatigue throughout your legs while you're using every muscle to move in every direction, is going to put serious strain on the ligaments/tendons responsible for stabilizing that motion.

For instance- treatment for most tendonitis is to strengthen the muscle parallel to the ligament.  (I.e. for tennis elbow, you strengthen the forearms; for runner's knee you strengthen the hamstrings; for Achilles issues you strengthen the calves).

Edited by BringBackFlutie
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I've been saying for YEARS that NFL players are way over-pumped and tight--and that they need to focus less on weight lifting in general and more on stretching and flexibility.

Sounds like we (among others) have caught onto this idea and it's helping.

Look at how many guys injure themselves during non-contact!  That's crazy and it shouldn't happen.

But they are all so "tight"....

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Who likes squats?!

Ugh they suck.  Every time I get my leg routine … press, extension, curl, deadlift, and calf’s … sure KEEP THEM.

but squats I just Axe.

maybe do a few Hack Squats…but no more.

good on them 😊.

squats were always my favs....7 sets...   until i tweaked my knee doing other things...  never hurt myself doing heavy squats though.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

43 minutes ago, bills6969 said:

Squats are the worst weightlifting exercise for your body in terms of long term side effects.

Squats with bad form are definitely bad.

Squats with proper form are excellent for long term health, just don't be a fool and think you can squat heavy long term.

Medium intensity Squats done with good form are all that average people need. I get why athletes push the weight as it improves their explosiveness, only surpassed by power cleans.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Well, I wonder about this article.   

First, how many other teams don't do squats during the season?   

Second, maybe a little research would help.  He says the Bills don't have any injured starters.  They just have injured bench players, like White and Feliciano.  Okay, maybe Feliciano is back. 

2 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Well, I wonder about this article.   

First, how many other teams don't do squats during the season?   

Second, maybe a little research would help.  He says the Bills don't have any injured starters.  They just have injured bench players, like White and Feliciano.  Okay, maybe Feliciano is back. 

Did White do squats?  Ever?

Just now, Doc said:

Did White do squats?  Ever?

Who knows?

Mostly, when I went to the article, I was amused at how much stuff is written just to fill up space and catch your attention.  Nobody knows what the Bills' philosophy about squats has to do with their injury report.  All I know is that I'm going to take too seriously an article that says the Bills have no injured starters.  

I trust their knowledge on this kind of stuff. And it makes sense to me. Squats can be dangerous and I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the off the field injuries that happen during workouts that we hear about are due to squats.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Southern_Bills said:

Squats with proper form are excellent for long term health, just don't be a fool and think you can squat heavy long term.

Medium intensity Squats done with good form are all that average people need. I get why athletes push the weight as it improves their explosiveness, only surpassed by power cleans.

Agreed but problem is most associate barbell squats with needing to lift heavy.  The worst part about squats is the pressure it puts on lower back even with perfect form.  You really need a good core to avoid long term back issues.   Core strength is something that should be made mandatory before getting into compound lifts such as squats.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JPL7 said:

https://www.insider.com/nfl-buffalo-bills-dont-do-squats-never-get-injured-playoffs-2022-1

"Super Bowl-contending Buffalo Bills cut squats from their workouts during the season — and trainers say that may explain why they're the least-injured team in the playoffs" This is interesting.

Football players are notoriously bad weight lifters, but they do it with really heavy weights. It’s bot hugely surprising that they are having less injuries after taking a bunch of load off their low backs. 

51 minutes ago, bills6969 said:

Agreed but problem is most associate barbell squats with needing to lift heavy.  The worst part about squats is the pressure it puts on lower back even with perfect form.  You really need a good core to avoid long term back issues.   Core strength is something that should be made mandatory before getting into compound lifts such as squats.

I agree, core strength is the one most important thing to long term health. 

When people look like they are doing good mornings and claim they are squatting, yes we have a big problem, happens way too often. 

Ok I have a little experience here as I’m in the IFBB. Squats are one of the best overall mass builders for the lower body hands down. Done correctly, there is little risk of injury. The key being done correctly. I doubt many teams squat with anything other than light weight during the season not because of injury risk but because of recovery time. When you squat with intensity whether it’s moderate or heavy weight (relatively speaking) it takes DAYS to recover. You aren’t going to have a game on Sunday, recover Monday and Tuesday, then have a moderate resistance training session on a Wednesday/Thursday. Your legs won’t be back to full strength in time for the next game. I doubt these guys do any moderate/heavy lifting of any body part in season. I’m sure they do resistance training but with the beating they are putting on their bodies week to week its all about recovery and getting your muscles healed and ready to fire again the next game.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JPL7 said:

https://www.insider.com/nfl-buffalo-bills-dont-do-squats-never-get-injured-playoffs-2022-1

"Super Bowl-contending Buffalo Bills cut squats from their workouts during the season — and trainers say that may explain why they're the least-injured team in the playoffs" This is interesting.

At my age....I regularly do "squats" twice a day. Office bathrooms suck!

3 hours ago, bills6969 said:

Squats are the worst weightlifting exercise for your body in terms of long term side effects.

Old news, I knew this 50 years ago.  A FULL squat is dangerous to your knee/cartlidge.  Partial squats may, however, help  those muscle groups some.  Just don't go all the way down.

2 hours ago, Southern_Bills said:

This makes sense to me. I think heavy lifting in general is a bad thing for anyone once you reach your 30s. I’m a big fan of body weight exercises at this point, but yes I do use weights as well, just lighter ones for more reps. I am extremely grateful though that I lifted heavy throughout my teenage years and my youth. It makes sense at that age, but even then, like you said, good form is a must and even then you have to be smart about it and know your body.

Edited by Victory Formation

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.