Bill Belechick (Belestrator) breaking down the Bills before the wild card game - he is really good

CorkScrewHill

8 minutes ago, CorkScrewHill said:

He obviously is not going to say anything negative, but it is really amazing to hear him break down some of our plays. If he ever decides to give up the hoodie and work in a television booth he will be must watch TV.

Can you tell me a little more about what you liked? Everything he said seemed to be very simple. Stuff that many fans could intuit from these plays.

As for him as a color analyst, his voice is very boring, monotone, and he does not articulate smoothly in his explanations, using a lot of filler words as he is thinking of how to say things.

Obviously he is a great football mind and knows way more about football, especially the history of the game, than most people. Just in this particular video I don't hear anything that is impressive. It sounds like Belichick is just giving a simple overview of the plays and is ready to get back to coaching.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

That is the most animated I have ever seen Bellicheat. He actually smiled. Honestly, I do think he has a great appreciation for excellent football players and plays. He is obviously a Diggsy and Allen admirer.

Oh, yeah.  He loves the game, and he appreciates good play.  We don't like him because he's brilliant, a fierce competitor, and comes off as a jerk in a lot of his press conferences.   

• Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, MJS said:

Can you tell me a little more about what you liked? Everything he said seemed to be very simple. Stuff that many fans could intuit from these plays.

As for him as a color analyst, his voice is very boring, monotone, and he does not articulate smoothly in his explanations, using a lot of filler words as he is thinking of how to say things.

Obviously he is a great football mind and knows way more about football, especially the history of the game, than most people. Just in this particular video I don't hear anything that is impressive. It sounds like Belichick is just giving a simple overview of the plays and is ready to get back to coaching.

Exactly. McD said it best. 

image.png.91945559af2e15047fd27bd3834a8b8c.png

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, MJS said:

That is a interesting question. There were a few things

1) I like the fact that he is monotone and analytical.. I used to like watching sports shows but they are now mainly good cop / bad cop segments where people take sides and yell at each other. It seems to be planned. The nice thing is when he does get hyped about an aspect of the play .. I think it shows. I think he really did marvel at the JA17 to Diggs play.

2) I think he does a great job of slowing down the plays and talking through what is happening. I think similar to Baldy. Neither will ever say anything negative, but he might if he were retired. At present he has to avoid bulletin board material.

In the end you get to choose whether you like it or not. I do, you don't .. no worries.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, 716er said:

Hoodie said Josh pitched the ball to Knox for extra yards @ 2:47. It was actually to stop the clock as Knox had a clear path out of bounds and Josh did not.

What kind of football guru is this guy?

that was such a heads up play.  If Allen gets tackled in bounds we would have had to really hurry up and spike the ball just to stop the clock and kick a FG.

• Like (+1) 2

48 minutes ago, CorkScrewHill said:

He obviously is not going to say anything negative, but it is really amazing to hear him break down some of our plays. If he ever decides to give up the hoodie and work in a television booth he will be must watch TV.

That throw to Diggs is such a ridiculous play.  Goodness those two are just special

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

Oh, yeah.  He loves the game, and he appreciates good play.  We don't like him because he's brilliant, a fierce competitor, and comes off as a jerk in a lot of his press conferences.   

There is a reason he was run out of Cleveland.

1 hour ago, CorkScrewHill said:

Sorry, I would not be able to handle listening to him drone on for more than 10 minutes.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, CorkScrewHill said:

His knowledge is outstanding but he’ll need a speech coach if he wants to get into broadcasting.  Also needs a very charismatic play-by-play man.  It’s amazing how much clear he talks here versus his press conference where he simply mumbles.

On a side note, listen to him talk about Josh.  I read that after Josh beat them in NE last year, BB spent a few extra moments talking on the field to Josh which was unusual for a younger QB.  I thibk he has a lot of respect for him as a QB.  

1 hour ago, BringBackFergy said:

I wouldn’t mind hearing @GoBills808 or @HoofHearted’s thoughts on Belichick’s analysis. Especially the run play by Devin. 

Sure. Nothing ground breaking there from Belechick. They ran power on that long run from Singletary - the cut was impressive but that was the path he should have taken on the play regardless so it ran as designed. The inside backer should not have been unblocked on that play, but since Daryl Williams got hung up he was. Good on Singletary for setting him up outside before cutting it back inside. Also as already mentioned Josh flipped it to Knox so that he could get out of bounds and stop the clock, not pick up extra yardage, which is kind of disappointing that Belechick didn't have the wherewithal to think about the situation in the game when breaking that down. Other than that nothing really special was said.

Edited by HoofHearted
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 716er said:

Hoodie said Josh pitched the ball to Knox for extra yards @ 2:47. It was actually to stop the clock as Knox had a clear path out of bounds and Josh did not.

What kind of football guru is this guy?

You're correct on the context, which actually makes it an even more impressive play.  Though that detail doesn't call into question whether he's football guru.  Like him or not, he clearly is.

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

Two really good specials were one with Bill Parcells & Bill Belichick where they meet in the Meadowlands and do an interview together and another one with him & Nick Saban.  I just found "The Belichick Legacy" on YouTube but I don't have time now to watch it, but I will later: 

1 hour ago, BringBackFergy said:

I wouldn’t mind hearing @GoBills808 or @HoofHearted’s thoughts on Belichick’s analysis. Especially the run play by Devin. 

Grumble grumble something about Edmunds’ instincts grumble…

oh wait we’re on offense!

it was a nice cut from Motor, good vision and the line really benefits from blocking gap control vs too much zone but you already knew that👍👍

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, mabden said:

There is a reason he was run out of Cleveland.

Sorry, I would not be able to handle listening to him drone on for more than 10 minutes.

Lol he didn’t get run out of Cleveland, I do believe they were Baltimore when he got fired.. people forget the moron owner announced they were moving before the season.. which torpedoed the season.. the year before they went to the division round of the playoffs.. pretty sure the Owner did it so he could easily move..  (IMO the owner made it so the roster was worse..)

• Agree 1

37 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Two really good specials were one with Bill Parcells & Bill Belichick where they meet in the Meadowlands and do an interview together and another one with him & Nick Saban.  I just found "The Belichick Legacy" on YouTube but I don't have time now to watch it, but I will later: 

Yeah.  My son just told me about the Saban video.   There's another good one out there with a woman sitting in a restaurant, I think, with him when he opens up some.   It was after the Super Bowl comeback against Atlanta, about two months later.   She asked when they have to do to repeat.   He said something like "we aren't thinking about repeating.  Everyone at work today is thinking only about what they have to do today, and tomorrow they'll be thinking about tomorrow."

24 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Lol he didn’t get run out of Cleveland, I do believe they were Baltimore when he got fired.. people forget the moron owner announced they were moving before the season.. which torpedoed the season.. the year before they went to the division round of the playoffs.. pretty sure the Owner did it so he could easily move..  (IMO the owner made it so the roster was worse..)

But I believe it's true that part of the reason they were so disenchanted with him in Cleveland was that he was horrible with the press.  Worse than he is now.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BuffaloBillies said:

Me last Sunday...

1) Nice cut

2) Great pass & catch

3) Nice run and pitch (to stop the clock)

'Bout the same as Hoodie

You bested him. Somehow he thought #3 was to "gain extra yards". It was to stop the clock and really a heads up play.

On that very first play, I didn't realize during the game how much of a clever cut Singletary made.

And he really used the speed and pursuit of LB #56 against him--made him take himself totally out of the play, as Edmunds loves to do routinely.

That was a really good run.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

But I believe it's true that part of the reason they were so disenchanted with him in Cleveland was that he was horrible with the press.  Worse than he is now.  

Oh I am sure! But let’s be honest if they had kept winning he could have called the press ninnies and they wouldn’t have cared.. 

2 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

That's good.  Thanks.   Love it every time we get a chance to hear Belichick actually talk football.   Nothing really new here.  Nice how he appreciates Singletary's vision of that cut.  

I've seen this segment where he uses the telestrator many times, and it's ALWAYS really good.

I find this highly detailed X and O stuff to be super interesting, much more so than typical "sports talk" topics, many of which have nothing actually to do with sports.

On third play, the Josh scramble and little pitch out to Knox at the end...Bill sort of laughs and comments on how the pitch got a couple more yards.

Josh was doing that at that point in the game to give the ball to Knox so he could get out of bounds and stop the clock, as compared to Josh getting tackled in bounds.

Seems like that aspect of the play went over BB's head.  Or maybe he just forgot to mention that on the show.

I know fans are taking this seriously, but sometimes people tend to act overly confident about their team against opponents the fear most.

I'm not going to lie, the Patriots do scare me. Doesn't matter how many advantages we have on paper, where our team ranks in certain categories, them starting a rookie QB, us being at home, whatever... Belichick is one scary mother f'er to me 😂

I remember watching a "Top 10 Teams to Not Win a Super Bowl" video a few years back, and Belichick is a big reason for 2 of those teams on the list (1990 Bills at #3 & the 2001 Rams at #6). I see a lot of similarities in that 11-5 Pats team with a young Tom Brady vs the NFL's most dominant team, 14-2 Rams with league MVP Kurt Warner compared to now... Actually, here's the video (starting at 13:46):

TL;DR - Belichick does scare me, I'll admit it. Even against teams that should absolutely destroy them, he finds ways to negate the disadvantages & fluster superior opposition. If you look back at how insane that Rams team was (and how vulnerable that Pats team was), it mirrors a lot of the talk & comparisons to now. 

3 hours ago, CorkScrewHill said:

There's a marked difference in Belichick's attitude and tone describing Allen now vs. a couple years ago, and even last season.  He refers to him as "a lot of magic there" and "got to be ready for anything" and even gives him the Football player compliment "this guy..he's a problem"

Interesting to me that Belichick didn't pick up on (or state) what I see as the real reason Allen lateralled the ball to Knox:  there were 26 seconds left in the 2Q.  Allen saw he was likely to be tackled in-bounds, but Knox could get OOB and stop the clock, giving them several more shots at the EZ before a FG

27 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

I know fans are taking this seriously, but sometimes people tend to act overly confident about their team against opponents the fear most.

I'm not going to lie, the Patriots do scare me. Doesn't matter how many advantages we have on paper, where our team ranks in certain categories, them starting a rookie QB, us being at home, whatever... Belichick is one scary mother f'er to me 😂

I remember watching a "Top 10 Teams to Not Win a Super Bowl" video a few years back, and Belichick is a big reason for 2 of those teams on the list (1990 Bills at #3 & the 2001 Rams at #6). I see a lot of similarities in that 11-5 Pats team with a young Tom Brady vs the NFL's most dominant team, 14-2 Rams with league MVP Kurt Warner compared to now... Actually, here's the video (starting at 13:46):

Some players on that 2001 Rams team may have a viewpoint as to one reason they lost that game.

Hint: it doesn't involve Belichick being a natural genius at coaching.  It does involve a "ruthless pursuit of a competitive advantage" which some people would describe as a word starting with ch and ending with ing

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.