Dolphins fire Brian Flores

YoloinOhio

49 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

If Flores had a franchise QB the last 2 years, would he have made the playoffs? Yes, both years

Terrible take.  McD made the playoffs with Rex’s hand me downs and Tyrod.

An above average coach wins with that roster.  Flores is not that.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, GreggTX said:

I think Brian Flores will soon be showing the Dolphins the error of their ways. They should just trade Tua and try their luck again at QB, not fire a good coach. I think it will be a while before they mount a serious threat. I think he'll be looking for a team with a good, young QB next time.

It says a lot about him by the way he played against Bill Belichick. He’s a great coach, I would love to have him in Buffalo.

• Disagree 1

The owner likes Tua. It appears Flores didn't.

Per Lombardi “Remember I said there was commentary between the head coach and Tua during the season and I wouldn’t reveal what the conversation was. Well, the conversation was, hey, if I’d have knew you were going to be this bad, I would have picked Mac Jones. That’s the conversation.”

I kinda feel bad for Tua as he may not be a great QB .. but that is harsh

Full story here:

https://www.masslive.com/patriots/2022/01/brian-flores-told-tua-tagovailoa-he-should-have-picked-patriots-qb-mac-jones-instead-per-michael-lombardi.html

• Haha (+1) 5

I kind of agree. At this point I feel sort of bad for Tua. 

I mean Tua in New England would be at least as good as Mac Jones I feel like. 

Apparently Flores biggest problem and why he was canned is that he didn't realize he is in the people business. He's a total jerk. And maybe more accurate just completely oblivious to personal relationships.  

• Dislike 1

4 minutes ago, CorkScrewHill said:

Per Lombardi “Remember I said there was commentary between the head coach and Tua during the season and I wouldn’t reveal what the conversation was. Well, the conversation was, hey, if I’d have knew you were going to be this bad, I would have picked Mac Jones. That’s the conversation.”

Full story here:

https://www.masslive.com/patriots/2022/01/brian-flores-told-tua-tagovailoa-he-should-have-picked-patriots-qb-mac-jones-instead-per-michael-lombardi.html

This really makes you wonder who Lombardi’s source is.  Flores had a reputation as being tough but not abusive toward his players.  If he said that I’d like to know the context.  He could have said it as a joke and patted him on the back.  Still probably not the best think to joke about… but I can’t see him saying this seriously 

4 minutes ago, CorkScrewHill said:

Full story here:

Could’ve been to spark a fire under his arse!! Flores seemed like a motivator as a coach. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, CorkScrewHill said:

Full story here:

I mean, did Flores see Mac Jones play?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LeGOATski said:

AND he wanted to pick Herbert.

This is what happens when your HC is micro-managed.

There's  a lot more we maybe don't know about i think. How do you bring in free agents to multi year contracts like Kyle Van Noy and Shaq Lawson and then kick them to the curb after just one season. One guy, okay I can maybe see that being a specific player issue. But two? That seems like a coach/organizational issue.

4 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

This really makes you wonder who Lombardi’s source is.  Flores had a reputation as being tough but not abusive toward his players.  If he said that I’d like to know the context.  He could have said it as a joke and patted him on the back.  Still probably not the best think to joke about… but I can’t see him saying this seriously 

I suppose it would of been a pretty clear joke if he said after any of the Patriot games.

5 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

AND he wanted to pick Herbert.

This is what happens when your HC is micro-managed.

True, but there are also many times I'm sure where the head coach gets the reigns and just messes everything up lol.

Chip Kelly comes to mind, Rhule so far in Carolina. Plenty more.

In this instance, yes it certainly backfired hard on the Dolphins 

Hard nosed coach motivating a player is likely, if it is to believed to start with. And, what was the context? Hurt feelings in that business should mean very little.

Just now, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Hard nosed coach motivating a player is likely, if it is to believed to start with. And, what was the context? Hurt feelings in that business should mean very little.

Did this happen before they won 8 of 9, I'm guessing it did.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Friends.jpg.7db610c2959d6eb69510bfe1395ac450.jpg

Dear Coach Flores,

Please accept this gift in the spirit it is offered.

Your Friend,

Inigo Montoya

This book is obviously outdated in some ways, but its basic premises remain valid after all these years.  Several years ago, when I was in my first management position, I read this and did a "book club" with my team using this book.  It's a classic that is still relevant.  I hope it has helped me "win friends" and "influence people" here on TBD, but I am not holding my breath on that.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Can you blame Flores? Taking Tua over Herbert could go down as one of biggest draft blunders of all time.  

Much like Mayfield, Darnold, or B Chubb (Denver) over Allen.

I love it that Jets fans have to know they passed on Allen every time we face them. 

As stated above, Tua in New England may be as good or better than Mac Jones.  Neither can or will hold a candle to Josh.

Herbert is far better than Tua and Jones and while I prefer Allen to Herbert, Herbert at least has the talent and potential to be in the conversation.  Allen remains the prefect fit for Buffalo.

2 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

I love it that Jets fans have to know they passed on Allen every time we face them. 

I work with a podiatrist who is a Jets fan, and so is his son.  He knows I'm a huge Bills fan and I was talking to him about Allen a few months back, sometime after Darnold was with the Panthers.  He was saying he was lamenting to his son that the Jets could have had Allen instead and he said his son said to him "yeah, but dad, the Jets would have ruined him also."

23 minutes ago, CorkScrewHill said:

Full story here:

Already debunked by Lombardi himself.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1. Lombardi already has had to come out and say that this is not something that Flores said to Tua.

2. Both Omar Kelly and Amando Salguero (long time Dolphins beat reporters) have said that if Flores preferred Herbert that the Dolphins would have drafted him and that at the time of Tua's drafting that all 3 (Flores, Grier, Ross) were on board with drafting Tua. It wasn't until after Flores began to work with Tua that soured on him as a player.

6 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

Allen probably would’ve been ruined on the Jets.  And Allen had a lot more questions heading into the draft than Herbert.  Heck, I bet Beane would’ve taken Darnold over Allen at the time.  Tua and Herbert was definitely more of a debate and Dolphins failed in that decision miserably.  

12 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

There was another report that Flores is the kind of person to walk past his players in the facility and not just not say hello to them but pretty much not even notice them as if they weren't even there.  

Retired NHL players talk about that sort of thing all the time.  20 or 30 years ago, I guess almost ALL NHL coaches were like that.  They treated players poorly and ruled through fear.  

For a long time now (at least 10 years) players talk about how you simply can't coach that way anymore.  The players these days have been stars since they were 10 years old and expect to be treated like stars...and they will simply tune out any coach who coaches in the old school style.

The buzz word describing a good coach now is "communicator" and "knows how to work with young players."

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.