Week 18: Jets at Bills - a W wins the AFC East!

YoloinOhio

11 minutes ago, CSBill said:

When I look at this, I just get mad at how badly that Jacksonville game screwed the Bills. .... The only way I get over it is an AFC Championship win.

Yep.  And I forget about Pittsburgh game.  Two ***** losses costing us now

5 minutes ago, eball said:

Anybody else notice that the Bills have a punter on the PS? I was looking at the practice photos and was like “who is Jamie Gillan #6?”

Interesting. 

I hear he's Scottish . . . it's a Covid insurance thing.

19 minutes ago, eball said:

Anybody else notice that the Bills have a punter on the PS? I was looking at the practice photos and was like “who is Jamie Gillan #6?”

Interesting. 

Happened a few weeks ago, and it was a great pickup. He is good insurance. And he is almost identical

in every way to Haack statistically. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Being Scottish is a COVID insurance thing? Who knew?! 

Scots are very cautious folk . . . I believe the punter is known as the Scottish Hammer. The actual insurance element is having a punter on the practice squad in case you need to have a competent punter available should your starter suddenly become unavailable.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Scots are very cautious folk . . . I believe the punter is known as the Scottish Hammer. The actual insurance element is having a punter on the practice squad in case you need to have a competent punter available should your starter suddenly become unavailable.

So, you mean that Glenfiddich doesn’t prevent Covid?!!! I have been downing these bottles for nothing?!!!!!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 7

4 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Darn. I had my hopes up that being Scottish was actually an insurance against COVID. 

• Haha (+1) 2

11 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

Okay, I'm listening. But you're being vague. How does a football stadium serve the community of Bills fans and the organization, exactly?

Stadiums historically solve ZERO problems for the broader community in which they are built. They are expensive buildings where my favorite sport is played. And some overpriced concerts are staged. And a smattering of smaller, community-based partners hold fundraising events (which of course is a good thing). There is published support for this unfortunately skeptical position. 

All it needs to do is potentially house 13 Bills games per season.........with good teams or bad......and not be a deterrent to acquiring players(who will have increasingly more freedom of movement).....at a much greater cost per game for the next 40 years.

Leaving it without a cover is a huge gamble for what will seem to have been peanuts at the mid-life of the structure.

I'd be OK with the idea of making the facility so that a roof could eventually be added later(which apparently the Bills have considered)............but when is that work going to get done?  And what will THAT cost THEN as a renovation instead of part of a new build?   $2B more outlay in 2040?   What kind of compromised product will they end up with if they first "half cover" it like Seattle did?

People need to keep in mind that most of the structures like Seattle and Pittsburgh and NE that we see as proof of "outdoor viability" in the north are well into their operating lives and IMO will eventually be replaced with domes because the season is going to end up stretching until the end of February soon.

The Bills stadium will be 20-30 years younger than those places.    Buffalo will be stuck with what they have.    As I've noted.........5 of the last 7 NFL stadiums to be built have been domes.    Future football will be played mostly indoors.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

All it needs to do is potentially house 13 Bills games per season.........with good teams or bad......and not be a deterrent to acquiring players(who will have increasingly more freedom of movement).....at a much greater cost per game for the next 40 years.

Leaving it without a cover is a huge gamble for what will seem to have been peanuts at the mid-life of the structure.

I'd be OK with the idea of making the facility so that a roof could eventually be added later(which apparently the Bills have considered)............but when is that work going to get done?  And what will THAT cost THEN as a renovation instead of part of a new build?   $2B more outlay in 2040?   What kind of compromised product will they end up with if they first "half cover" it like Seattle did?

People need to keep in mind that most of the structures like Seattle and Pittsburgh and NE that we see as proof of "outdoor viability" in the north are well into their operating lives and IMO will eventually be replaced with domes because the season is going to end up stretching until the end of February soon.

The Bills stadium will be 20-30 years younger than those places.    Buffalo will be stuck with what they have.    As I've noted.........5 of the last 7 NFL stadiums to be built have been domes.    Future football will be played mostly indoors.

You’re banking a lot on the idea that football players make business decisions based on domes and weather. I find that implausible. Players want to win, they want to start, and they want to get paid. That’s pretty much it. Also, when it comes to free agency, no team is dumb enough to base payment decisions on raw stats. The Pats, Jets, Giants, Browns, and Packers have had no problem attracting and competing for free agents in recent years. I am pretty sure you have no evidence for this supposition, yet you bring it up a lot.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, CSBill said:

When I look at this, I just get mad at how badly that Jacksonville game screwed the Bills. .... The only way I get over it is an AFC Championship win.

On its own the loss  @ TEN is the most critical. Bills would be the 1 seed right now if they got the win. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

You’re banking a lot on the idea that football players make business decisions based on domes and weather. I find that implausible. Players want to win, they want to start, and they want to get paid. That’s pretty much it. Also, when it comes to free agency, no team is dumb enough to base payment decisions on raw stats. The Pats, Jets, Giants, Browns, and Packers have had no problem attracting and competing for free agents in recent years. I am pretty sure you have no evidence for this supposition, yet you bring it up a lot.

It's almost as good as my favorite argument- the state by state taxation analysis that these players compute prior to choosing their next team.

9 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

It's almost as good as my favorite argument- the state by state taxation analysis that these players compute prior to choosing their next team.

Yep, this is why all the stars go to Arizona and they're consistent championship contenders. I mean... great climate, low taxes, and a dome to boot. It's really really unfair!

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I just thought of something sobering (guess I need to drink more)

our season could be over as soon as a week from today. 

I'm pretty confident if the bills go against the Pats in the first round, they'll make that the Monday night game. So a week and 2 days 😅

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Steptide said:

I'm pretty confident if the bills go against the Pats in the first round, they'll make that the Monday night game. So a week and 2 days 😅

Monday night playoff games are an affront to humanity and I hope they go away. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 9
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

I can't give you evidence of the future because it hasn't happened yet.........just like they didn't know that the majority of the games played in Rich Stadium would be played in an era of player free agency.    

The outdoor stadium crowd is mostly just thinking about what's important now.

I'm banking on significant change.

Higher costs of attendance, more player freedom,  a less violent but faster and more skillful game with a lot more technology on the field,  a season that continues to stretch deeper into winter and less fans wanting to shell out those big bucks to sit out in that cold all seem like good plays to me.

And if you want to pretend that the prospect of playing in the league's worst weather hasn't hurt the Bills chances of signing players in UFA..........even in a system where the owners have much more control over players than they will in the future.........then you do you.    

To paraphrase Lee Smith on the sideline last game..........nobody likes being out in this sh*t.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, billsherd said:

Always seen it never tried it, I should give it a try.

I have tried a LOT of single malts.  You know, all "research."

😂

It's one of my favorites and competes with some 18 year olds.

Go for it and let me know what you think.

1 hour ago, uninja said:

Monday night playoff games are an affront to humanity and I hope they go away. 

1 hour ago, Steptide said:

I'm probably in the minority when I say that I don't mind it, but I can totally see why some people would hate it 

59 minutes ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

Whoever came up with the idea needs to be shot

Why do people hate MNF?  Do you have to work nights or something?  Or go to bed early so you can't see the whole game?

What's not to love about "playoff weekend" lasting an extra day?

You'd rather have no football on Monday night with the whole thing already behind you for another week?

I want more football.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.