Week 18: Jets at Bills - a W wins the AFC East!

YoloinOhio

4 hours ago, mannc said:

No denying that, but it shows real progress in an area of severe concern.

I rewatched the game and he honestly looked good to me…never would’ve guessed his stat line was that bad.  Two of those picks weee pretty unlucky…that last one looked like gabe was wide open for a big gain if the ball didn’t get tipped.  That second pick seemed like Beasley got jammed and just gave up on the route but he could have gotten there…gotta throw that one before he makes his break so it really wasn’t a bad decision. First pick he should’ve thrown away though 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

As much as I hate to ever credit @BADOLBILZ for anything, since he does plenty of tooting his own horn and doesn't need anyone to help him...he's right about the passing game. It is far less explosive than last season. The stats -- both classic and advanced -- bear this out. 

Everyone figures the Bills need to upgrade the guard spots and maybe the running back room in the offseason, and they probably will. Adding an explosive receiver or two, though, is an underrated need. I love Diggs and Davis, and McKenzie has value as a role player. Sanders will likely be gone and Beasley has lost some explosiveness. We need to add some POP to the WR room for the 2022 season.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

2 hours ago, Greg S said:

Speaking of clinching the AFCE vs the Jets. Who remembers this classic.

I was there.  Didn’t enter the field afterwards but I was there for the goal post festivities.  A piece of the goal post was passed up in the stands to Ralph’s ownerbox.  

1 hour ago, Evian said:

It is an odd game. I don't want our starters in for the 2nd half but if it is close the AFC East is on the line. Hopefully this game is over at half but this Bills team has problems putting teams away sometimes.

That’s such an odd take but I see that a lot.  I feel like we are so psychologically damaged by getting whooped by the pats for years that we assume any game we are not up by 30 at halftime we are going to lose lol.  But every game we have won has been by 2+ scores and we never trailed in most of them.  It’s really interesting the way this season has gone…we lost every one score game and won 10 other games by 2+ scores very very strange. 

56 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

Is that just for Week 17 or the whole season? Because, if the latter, seriously???

Buffalo’s running numbers are an optical illusion. If you think the Bills have a bad running game, it’s because you only count RB runs…not Josh Allen runs. And for most of the season, if RB runs were your measuring stick, then it’s true we weren’t great.

On the other hand, while QB rushes may be less satisfying to run game traditionalists, they DO count on the stat sheet, and the threat of JA17 rushing DOES make other parts of the offense work. Hard to cover receivers man-to-man if you have to look over your shoulder afraid Josh Allen is gonna rip you for 20-30 yards. 

The truth is, our running attack isn’t Derrick Henry, Jonathan Taylor, and an OL that pushes mountains around. But it’s still effective in a different kind of way. 

• Like (+1) 4

40 minutes ago, Logic said:

As much as I hate to ever credit @BADOLBILZ for anything, since he does plenty of tooting his own horn and doesn't need anyone to help him...he's right about the passing game. It is far less explosive than last season. The stats -- both classic and advanced -- bear this out. 

Everyone figures the Bills need to upgrade the guard spots and maybe the running back room in the offseason, and they probably will. Adding an explosive receiver or two, though, is an underrated need. I love Diggs and Davis, and McKenzie has value as a role player. Sanders will likely be gone and Beasley has lost some explosiveness. We need to add some POP to the WR room for the 2022 season.

The warning signs were there last year that their receiving targets weren't as explosive as their overall passing numbers would indicate.

They weren't a very good RAC team even then..........but Allen averaged a ridiculous 3.14 seconds before throwing which was statistically the highest above expectation in the league...........so he was getting very good protection and often "waiting" receivers open. 

They doubled down on "route runners" in the offseason when they got less explosive with Emmanuel Sanders.     Beasley and Diggs took an absolute beating last year and haven't looked as healthy or explosive this year.   

Things still might have worked similarly this year but the pass protection fell apart.    But either way the Bills have become underpowered in the weapons category.    It wouldn't be a pretty picture if they had an average QB with this supporting cast. 

11 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Aha...it all fits...you're Dave Roberts / Dave Thomas / Dave Boreanaz!  Former Buffalo TV host / weather guy who moved to Philly. 🤔😁

Did you just dox @WhitewalkerInPhilly?

4 hours ago, Greg S said:

This would be a great question for Beane. Why did you a build a team that struggles in bad weather? Even the Super Bowl era teams could run it down other teams throats when they had too. A strong OL and HOF RB will allow you to do that.

Cause the last game is in good weather?

1 hour ago, Logic said:

i agree its a definitely a need, but i also wonder if we had a limited(quicker routes) playbook for most of the season due to the sieve we dealt with up front all season until recently.

Edited by Stank_Nasty

10 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

i agree its a definitely a need, but i also wonder if we had a limited(quicker routes) playbook for most of the season due to the sieve we dealt with up front all season until recently.

I think defenses adjusted. They saw a lot of man last year and we crushed it. We’re seeing more zone now. Thought after pats game we could trust him to dump it off. He didn’t but that’s something that can be taught so it’s great to learn in a win. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.