Week 18: Jets at Bills - a W wins the AFC East!

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, Logic said:

I thought about giving this it’s own thread, but I didn’t want to start another 29 page Tremaine argument.

This is high praise from Saleh, though:

Is that really high praise from the coach he’s about to face?  He’s big, fast and long and takes up space.  He talked about his physical being and that’s all.  That’s exactly how the majority of this board feels.  His physical being = a unicorn, avatar…..and there’s not much more to talk about.  

He lacks the killer instinct to make impact plays.  To often content with taking on a blocker when there is a play to be made right in front of him.  Sure, taking on the block can help someone else make the play, but there are times where he just needs to go get him some ball carrier, but he doesn’t 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

33 minutes ago, finn said:

It's only 32nd because their opponents are always way ahead and running out the clock. They also top or near the top in run attempts against. If the Bills plan to run it early and expect to dominate that way, they may be in for a surprise. That's a pretty stout D-line. 

i dont really understand the logic.  they cant stop the run when they know the team is going to run the ball to run out the clock?  They are giving up 4.5 yards per attempt when you factor in attempts... a lot of which like you say is when they know the run is coming...that is nowhere close to good.  thats worse than our supposedly terrible rush defense.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, clayboy54 said:

I read a while back that several years ago the Bengals didn't even have scouts. They got their info from outside the building.

I thought I remember reading they had the fewest scouts of any NFL team by a wide margin. Coaching staff was also sparse.

1 hour ago, Process said:

You are comparing skiing to sitting in rain and 20mph winds to watch a football game? What?

They are clueless. Good luck selling season tickets to a new open air stadium. 

So, you have to pay us a $5k PSL fee, the cost of your season tickets are going to double, and if you aren't able to go to a December game you will be lucky to get $5 a ticket.

How appealing.

Winning fixes everything. They will have zero issues selling out.

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

Belichick's teams never practice indoors ever.

This is not true. The Pats*** may do it far less than other teams, but they have a nice indoor practice facility for when the need arises. 

There’s a fine line between the need to practice in and acclimate to the elements and the need to conduct efficient practices. Sometimes the weather, especially windy weather, renders efficient outdoor practices impractical. 

43 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Is that really high praise from the coach he’s about to face?  He’s big, fast and long and takes up space.  He talked about his physical being and that’s all.  That’s exactly how the majority of this board feels.  His physical being = a unicorn, avatar…..and there’s not much more to talk about.  

He lacks the killer instinct to make impact plays.  To often content with taking on a blocker when there is a play to be made right in front of him.  Sure, taking on the block can help someone else make the play, but there are times where he just needs to go get him some ball carrier, but he doesn’t 

'a unicorn in the linebacker world with ridiculous speed that takes away the most space since one of the best linebackers of all time'  is absolutely high praise lol  Edmunds struggles at times but we are asking a ton out of him...i think you can take an established veteran from another team and dump him in edmunds' slot and he would likely struggle even more.

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, K-9 said:

This is not true. The Pats*** may do it far less than other teams, but they have a nice indoor practice facility for when the need arises. 

There’s a fine line between the need to practice in and acclimate to the elements and the need to conduct efficient practices. Sometimes the weather, especially windy weather, renders efficient outdoor practices impractical. 

But if the game is going to be windy, then isn’t part of a truly efficient practice, to experience the wind and how Josh has to throw the ball to cut through it, thus what the receivers have to be prepared to catch?  It’s gonna feel like a rock and it’s going to be launched at them on a literal frozen rope.

5 minutes ago, K-9 said:

It’s clear the Pats practiced outside that week; how else would they know Mac can’t throw into a breeze?

• Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

But if the game is going to be windy, then isn’t part of a truly efficient practice, to experience the wind and how Josh has to throw the ball to cut through it, thus what the receivers have to be prepared to catch?  It’s gonna feel like a rock and it’s going to be launched at them on a literal frozen rope.

Not necessarily. There are other aspects of practice that may be hindered by the elements as well; chiefly special teams related to kicking and punting. Also, given the storm yesterday, both the outdoor practice fields and stadium surfaces may not be conducive to an efficient practice. But this is nothing new. Marv used to conduct numerous practices indoors when the weather prohibited efficient practices. It’s a trade off. 

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

i dont really understand the logic.  they cant stop the run when they know the team is going to run the ball to run out the clock?  They are giving up 4.5 yards per attempt when you factor in attempts... a lot of which like you say is when they know the run is coming...that is nowhere close to good.  thats worse than our supposedly terrible rush defense.

jets are a weird team to figure out. They are elite on the D-line, yet still seem to get gashed in the run game. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

Agreed...New England never practice indoors because Belichick wants them to be prepared for anything.

Well, they ‘held’ the Bills to no punts in the last game so that worked well for them.

• Haha (+1) 2

Just now, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

jets are a weird team to figure out. They are elite on the D-line, yet still seem to get gashed in the run game. 

They are a very easy team to figure out. They suck period. Nothing else to investigate here.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

It’s clear the Pats practiced outside that week; how else would they know Mac can’t throw into a breeze?

There’s a difference between “never” as was asserted and far less than other teams as is the case with Belichick and the Pats***. 

But there is no prep for the kind of wind conditions seen in the first Pats*** game anyway and I doubt the wind in Foxborough was a factor for Mac Jones in practice that week. They just know he has limited arm strength, regardless. 

9 minutes ago, Greg S said:

They are a very easy team to figure out. They suck period. Nothing else to investigate here.

Their D line is good. Quinnen Williams is better than any DT we have on our team. I think Saleh even has said it is the best D-line he has ever coached— high praise, considering who he had in San Fran. 

i don’t know all the jets problems, but given the talent they have in their front 7 really on D, seems weird they get gashed on the ground. I will be curious to see how we do against them running the ball. 

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Their D line is good. Quinnen Williams is better than any DT we have on our team. I think Saleh even has said it is the best D-line he has ever coached— high praise, considering who he had in San Fran. 

i don’t know all the jets problems, but given the talent they have in their front 7 really on D, seems weird they get gashed on the ground. I will be curious to see how we do against them running the ball. 

• Haha (+1) 2

42 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Their D line is good.

Clearly, it's not.  They may have good individual talents but they are obviously not playing well as a unit.

I really don't care what the JESTs do...if the Buffalo Bills of the past four weeks show up on Sunday, taking the Bills and laying the points is a steal.

48 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Absolutely terrible secondary. You can't win with that sort of secondary no matter how good the front seven.

4 minutes ago, eball said:

Clearly, it's not.  They may have good individual talents but they are obviously not playing well as a unit.

I really don't care what the JESTs do...if the Buffalo Bills of the past four weeks show up on Sunday, taking the Bills and laying the points is a steal.

It's really the secondary. Opposing teams have a passer rating of 104.7 against them.

51 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

As the Washington Football Team has proven, assembling a great defensive line, especially with high draft picks, is a lousy way to build an NFL team.

Edited by mannc
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Absolutely terrible secondary. You can't win with that sort of secondary no matter how good the front seven.

It's really the secondary. Opposing teams have a passer rating of 104.7 against them.

In that case, a game plan built around running the football would be absurd. I hope Josh lights ‘em up early and often and we see Mitch in the 4th quarter to mop up. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

'a unicorn in the linebacker world with ridiculous speed that takes away the most space since one of the best linebackers of all time'  is absolutely high praise lol  Edmunds struggles at times but we are asking a ton out of him...i think you can take an established veteran from another team and dump him in edmunds' slot and he would likely struggle even more.

If you think so.  All of his praise consisted of he’s big, fast and long. He takes up space. Seems to me that a coach was asked about the opposing teams LB and he told us what everyone, even his biggest critics, agree with.  

He’s obviously not going to say anything negative about him and didn’t say anything that great to me. 

Edited by NewEra
  • Haha (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Wow, that is beyond poor. It really shines a light on the passer rating differential stat you cited earlier in the week. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Or it suggests small sample size?

Or that Allen doesn’t have the same trust/rapport with them, and thus only looks their way when it’s a really good opportunity?

I’m very on board with Knox and especially Davis getting more looks in the paaaing game, but stats like that don’t really mean much to me as a fan. If I was an offensive assistant, it would be something I’d try to unpack and see if there’s anything to it, or is it just coincidence? But without behind the scenes info, I don’t think we can draw any legit conclusions. 

1 hour ago, gobills404 said:

These 2 combining for only 7 targets per game is criminal.

That probably is why they have high passer ratings when thrown to them. Less throws allows for higher rating just because it's less chance for incompletions or drops.

If they were targeted as much as you want them to be this stats would never be up there.

Edited by TBBills

7 hours ago, Johnnycage46 said:

You know where the game is being played.  Weather is nothing new.  It's like, been around forever and stuff.  If you are planning to go to a game in Buffalo, in December, and especially if you are a season ticket holder, maybe invest in cold weather/wet gear.  Hunters go out in terrible weather and if they are long time hunters they have amassed quite a bit of gear to handle the elements.  It's not as though you showed up to the stadium and suddenly the team said, hey we're going to play the game somewhere else where the weather is terrible...sorry.

It's such an overblown reaction.

Oh, by the way...did you happen to watch this past Sunday's game?  I think that might count as "practicing" outdoors in the elements.  Not sure the team needs to keep doing it only 5 days later.

Well sure.........the weather has always been poor late in the season.......but when they built "Rich Stadium" the season always ended the second week of December and the AFC playoffs ended in late December.    

When they go to 18 games(with 2 bye weeks) the AFC playoffs will end around Valentine's Day.........6-7 weeks deeper into winter.    

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Well sure.........the weather has always been poor late in the season.......but when they built "Rich Stadium" the season always ended the second week of December and the AFC playoffs ended in late December.    

When they go to 18 games(with 2 bye weeks) the AFC playoffs will end around Valentine's Day.........6-7 weeks deeper into winter.    

The expertise exists to build an open-air stadium that nevertheless mitigates (maybe not eliminates, but drastically reduces) wind. And we know they want to cover the majority of fans. Why is everyone so obsessed with a dome?

The stadium they intend to build would have drastically improved this season's gameday conditions.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

8 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

Why is everyone so obsessed with a dome?

The stadium they intend to build would have drastically improved this season's gameday conditions.

When it comes to a new stadium.........you are only worrying about addressing a 2021 problem........wind.

The stadium needs to serve the community of Bills fans and the organization until 2060-2070.

There are many future issues that putting a roof on can help prevent.

The cost issue will seem to have been a minor expense a decade after it's built when the cost to add a dome will have been the same as a 3 year contract for a top QB.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

When it comes to a new stadium.........you are only worrying about addressing a 2021 problem........wind.

The stadium needs to serve the community of Bills fans and the organization until 2060-2070.

There are many future issues that putting a roof on can help prevent.

The cost issue will seem to have been a minor expense a decade after it's built when the cost to add a dome will have been the same as a 3 year contract for a top QB.

Okay, I'm listening. But you're being vague. How does a football stadium serve the community of Bills fans and the organization, exactly?

Stadiums historically solve ZERO problems for the broader community in which they are built. They are expensive buildings where my favorite sport is played. And some overpriced concerts are staged. And a smattering of smaller, community-based partners hold fundraising events (which of course is a good thing). There is published support for this unfortunately skeptical position. 

42 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Good point, had not considered that

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.