Antonio Brown strips in EZ and retires mid game? Edit: and now feuding with Bucs

Process

33 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Lets be real here.  They are only releasing him now because he needs ankle surgery.  Had he been healthy, they would not have released him to insure he couldn’t sign with a potential playoff foe.  Otherwise they would have released him when they said they did, not 5 days later.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Now that Antonio Brown is Anti-Tom Brady, I have no choice but to join team AB. No questions at this time.

Really really hoping AB goes loose cannon enough to blow the whole doors off Guerrero a la Jose Canseco.  Does anyone really believe Brady at 44 is doing these things because of avocado ice cream?

• Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

For some reason I find Arians more credible than Antonio Brown here.  I’d prefer to side with the player, but I don’t expect Arians is saying this in public if people who were nearby didn’t hear him.  And Brown’s whole demeanor leaving the field was just not consistent with a guy too injured to keep playing.

Brown has been playing football for 11 years.  Arians is correct, there is a protocol for injuries during the game, involving reporting to the trainer and/or doctor and being examined and if need be, sent or transported to the locker room for more tests/treatment.  Brown well knows this.  If his ankle was not allowing him to perform as a WR, he needs to go to the trainer/physician and get examined and ruled out.  Then they tell the coach “Brown is being examined” “Brown is out”.

It came out that Brown asked the Bucs to guarantee his remaining contract incentives last week and they declined.  That would be consistent with AB being upset because he wasn’t getting targeted.  Reportedly the incentives were up to $2M.

I’m not sure how Brown “not telling anyone on the Bucs medical staff about his ankle bothering him on gameday before the game” squares with Brown receiving a painkilling injection.  

Something inconsistent there.  Either the people giving the injections aren’t considered “part of the medical staff” and there isn’t sufficient communication, or Brown didn’t, in fact, get the injection.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

If he’s hurt he can drop off his helmet and talk to trainers. Coaches would be notified to stop calling his number and he would be instructed to head in for treatment. 

just hanging out and refusing to go in and then doing that when told if he can’t go in that he has to be out… not how it works even if he’s hurt 

Exactly.  Players know the drill.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, section122 said:

Really really hoping AB goes loose cannon enough to blow the whole doors off Guerrero a la Jose Canseco.  Does anyone really believe Brady at 44 is doing these things because of avocado ice cream?

I don't know why I hadn't noticed - it's obvious in retrospect - that the infamous Alex Guerrero followed Brady to Tampa.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

For some reason I find Arians more credible than Antonio Brown here.  I’d prefer to side with the player, but I don’t expect Arians is saying this in public if people who were nearby didn’t hear him.  And Brown’s whole demeanor leaving the field was just not consistent with a guy too injured to keep playing.

Brown has been playing football for 11 years.  Arians is correct, there is a protocol for injuries during the game, involving reporting to the trainer and/or doctor and being examined and if need be, sent or transported to the locker room for more tests/treatment.  Brown well knows this.  If his ankle was not allowing him to perform as a WR, he needs to go to the trainer/physician and get examined and ruled out.  Then they tell the coach “Brown is being examined” “Brown is out”.

It came out that Brown asked the Bucs to guarantee his remaining contract incentives last week and they declined.  That would be consistent with AB being upset because he wasn’t getting targeted.  Reportedly the incentives were up to $2M.

I’m not sure how Brown “not telling anyone on the Bucs medical staff about his ankle bothering him on gameday before the game” squares with Brown receiving a painkilling injection.  

Something inconsistent there.  Either the people giving the injections aren’t considered “part of the medical staff” and there isn’t sufficient communication, or Brown didn’t, in fact, get the injection.

Mainly the part where he is complaining that he's not getting enough targets at one point, then saying he was too injured to get back in the game. 

When informed by AB that "I ain't playin", Arians said "you're done, get the F outta here".  Pretty much sums it up.  

Imagine complaining about not getting targets after getting 15 the previous week from Brady and having 5 targets so far in the Jets game before he stormed off the field in the 3rd quarter - not to mention still having the season finale against Carolina the following week.

There is no controversy here.  Good riddance.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

There's a little hedging by the Bucs trainers/coaches here - he didn't tell us about ankle pain "on gameday," etc. But overall, yes, Arians is certainly more credible.

- Brown is already confirmed to have presented a fake COVID card. In other words, his lack of candor is established.

- Brown didn't behave in a manner consistent with a player who has an ankle injury/pain, since stripping off and jogging around the stadium is not usually associated with such

- Brown was a bit late in presenting the ankle excuse. I mean, maybe he did that to the Bucs staff right after the game, but he's not known for being shy. The delay in going public about that is consistent with taking time to come up with a story...

- It is unlikely that the Bucs staff would flat-out deny something that could be proven to be a lie, and they seem to be doing that here regarding pain injections on game day.

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Lets be real here.  They are only releasing him now because he needs ankle surgery.  Had he been healthy, they would not have released him to insure he couldn’t sign with a potential playoff foe.  Otherwise they would have released him when they said they did, not 5 days later.

I personally think their legal department/FO wanted to collect relevant information from all parties - anyone who was present and overheard all or part of the sideline altercation - and also needed to give Brown the opportunity to follow their process for getting a medical opinion documenting the condition of his foot after the game.  A team can’t waive an injured player; he has to be waived/injured and go on IR if he’s not claimed.  Since Brown is claiming he was injured, they have a process to follow.

According to Schefter, Brown refused to keep a medical appointment the Bucs arranged for him in NYC, where he was at the time, and has not complied with requests to provide the team with the test results and notes from the visits he did have.  I assume their counsel advised them that constitutes a “good faith” effort to have Brown examined by a physician of their choosing and to obtain results of his “second opinion” visit, so they are now clear to “send the Turk” and free up a roster spot.

3 hours ago, Ray Stonada said:

His contention might be that he was not in pain due to the show but felt he would make his injury much worse by playing further. If he really has a bone fragment loose and torn ligament.

In his statement, he specifically references being in pain and saying the “trigger” to his jersey-dumping, shirt-and-gloves tossing exit was “someone telling me I’m not allowed to feel pain”

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I personally think their legal department/FO wanted to collect relevant information from all parties - anyone who was present and overheard all or part of the sideline altercation - and also needed to give Brown the opportunity to follow their process for getting a medical opinion documenting the condition of his foot after the game.  A team can’t waive an injured player; he has to be waived/injured and go on IR if he’s not claimed.  Since Brown is claiming he was injured, they have a process to follow.

According to Schefter, Brown refused to keep a medical appointment the Bucs arranged for him in NYC, where he was at the time, and has not complied with requests to provide the team with the test results and notes from the visits he did have.  I assume their counsel advised them that constitutes a “good faith” effort to have Brown examined by a physician of their choosing and to obtain results of his “second opinion” visit, so they are now clear to “send the Turk” and free up a roster spot.

In his statement, he specifically references being in pain and saying the “trigger” to his jersey-dumping, shirt-and-gloves tossing exit was “someone telling me I’m not allowed to feel pain”

Yeah thats a good point, and I am sure that played a part in that, everyone has to follow the proper processes.  My original point is more about I think if this whole ankle-gate wasn't happening right now, I think they probably wait until their post season was done to officially release him just to block the possibility, albeit admittedly slim chance, that another potential playoff foe could sign him.  I mean thats at least what I would have done if I was the GM.  

I just love seeing the Bucs and Brady dealing with turmoil though heading into the post season hehehe.  And if a lot of what AB claims checks out, its gonna be an ongoing distraction for the Bucs throughout the playoffs.  Fingers crossed haha

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Take into account that players play hurt all the time.  They even elect to put off needed surgery until it's convenient.  It happens often. 

He went out with the injury in week 7 and didn't return until he was "medically cleared" in week *16. Likely to meet his escalators, which would explain the 15 targets he received.  He had 10 catches for 101 yards.  I'd wager he received an injection before that game as well.

I have my own opinion on what happened, whether it's true or not.  Antonio played hurt, returned for the good of the team and to reach his bonuses and wasn't happy with his involvement in the game plan.  Knowing he would eventually need surgery on his ankle, he had that excuse in his back pocket whenever he needed it and here we are.

Edited by Chicken Boo

I know AB has no credibility, but for some reason I am having a little sympathy for him in all this. No, I don’t excuse his behavior, but it feels like there is more to this story. And, I have just a little more trust in Bruce Arians than I do Brown. It just does not seem as cut and dry as we first thought. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Chicken Boo said:

Take into account that players play hurt all the time.  They even elect to put off needed surgery until it's convenient.  It happens often. 

He went out with the injury in week 7 and didn't return until he was "medically cleared" in week 15. Likely to meet his escalators, which would explain the 15 targets he received in that week 15 match-up.  He had 10 catches for 101 yards.  I'd wager he received an injection before that game as well.

I have my own opinion on what happened, whether it's true or not.  Antonio played hurt, returned for the good of the team and to reach his bonuses and wasn't happy with his involvement in the game plan.  Knowing he would eventually need surgery on his ankle, he had that excuse in his back pocket whenever he needed it and here we are.

I am kind of in the same camp as you on your opinion of what happened.  Although I have a couple of other layers to it.  I suspect AB may not have been as forth coming about his ankle pain in order to keep them from holding him out longer because he wanted to hit his bonuses.  I definitely don't buy AB's attempt of painting it like they made him play hurt, I am sure he was a willing taker of the injections.  

So I think he probably aggravated it some more in the Jets game, and with the game not going well already, he decided to then go into self preservation and not risk missing the next weeks game for another shot at his bonuses.  Arians I am sure was pissed given he had no reason to believe AB had any significant ankle issue at that point, and the rest is history.  

If I was a betting man, I would say there is some truth from AB's camp (about there being some knowledge prior to the game of ankle discomfort) but that it was also likely downplayed by AB up to that point because he was more focused on maximizing his chances at his bonuses over being fully recovered.  

I of course have no more info than anyone else, just my personal theory :)

• Like (+1) 1

In my opinion, the is no reason to take AB at his word. This is classic behavior for him.  Nothing is ever his fault.  He has never taken responsibility for his behavior.  No surprise he has an AB spin ready for this one.  Arians is a tool so nothing would surprise me, but Brown should not get the benefit of the doubt.  

• Like (+1) 2

So if everyone is to be believed we can piece together exactly what happened. Brown had an ankle injury that the team knew about.  He was more than willing to play with the injury if it meant he would get enough catches to get his $2 million bonus. But when he wasn’t getting targeted at the rate he thought would get him to his bonus he complained at halftime. Then he refused to go back into the game when directed to do so by his coach.  Then Arians told him to get the F out of there, which led to Browns’ tantrum exit.

As Brown did not seek medical treatment during the game it’s safe to assume that he did not further injure his ankle during the game.   He did decide that playing on the injury was not worth it if he was not going to get his bonus.  That led to his refusal to play.

tl:dr: Brown was only good with playing on his injured ankle if he was gonna get his $2M bonus.

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

So if everyone is to be believed we can piece together exactly what happened. Brown had an ankle injury that the team knew about.  He was more than willing to play with the injury if it meant he would get enough catches to get his $2 million bonus. But when he wasn’t getting targeted at the rate he thought would get him to his bonus he complained at halftime. Then he refused to go back into the game when directed to do so by his coach.  Then Arians told him to get the F out of there, which led to Browns’ tantrum exit.

As Brown did not seek medical treatment during the game it’s safe to assume that he did not further injure his ankle during the game.   He did decide that playing on the injury was not worth it if he was not going to get his bonus.  That led to his refusal to play.

tl:dr: Brown was only good with playing on his injured ankle if he was gonna get his $2M bonus.

From everything I have heard/read, I think your summary got it right.  He was mad that Gronk was getting all the targets, was playing on a bum ankle and decided that if they were not going to increase his targets, then why risk further injury.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This is an interesting series of statements and information.  I think if I had to guess...given the statement that went through AB's legal team made claims that text messages exist showing some prior knowledge the ankle stuff, that the Bucs had to have some awareness of it regardless of what they say.  But, I think its most likely a case that AB gave no indication that there was anything significant with his ankle because he did not want to risk being held out because he wanted his bonuses.  

And that would make sense as to why AB's people wanted to get his bonuses guaranteed, so AB wouldn't instead try and play through it.  

With all thats been said on both sides so far...if I will do my best Detective impression and form a theory of the series of events hahaha:  

1. AB had something wrong with his ankle, but didn't disclose how much it may have been bothering him because he didn't want to miss any more games as he wanted his bonuses.  
  2. Bucs had prior knowledge of the ankle, and there are probably text messages that show that...but I bet they also don't suggest or show anything that would indicate the ankle issue was anything serious because AB didn't disclose it was anything that should hold him out of the game so he could make sure he played to go after his bonuses.
  3. AB's team attempted to get the bonuses guaranteed for the purpose of him not having to play through the ankle stuff to get the bonuses.  And because AB wanted to insure he got his bonus, that intent was not disclosed to the Bucs, only that they wanted to get his bonuses guaranteed.  
  4. AB willingly played against the Jets with his ankle not being 100% in pursuit of his bonuses.
  5. He grew frustrated given the Bucs struggled the first half and wasn't touching the ball enough and apparently was vocal about that in the locker room at half time.
  6. Realizing he will probably need to play and play well in the final week to reach all his bonuses based on how the Jets game is going, now decides to himself its not worth risking playing more against the Jets and refuses to enter the game.  
  7. He doesn't alert the trainers or medical staff probably because he doesn't want to jeopardize his chance the play the final week to get his bonuses if he tells them his ankle is worse than hes let on previously.
  8. Arians, fresh off AB complaining about touches at half time, and unaware of any significant ankle issue, sees this as more selfish AB (which it really still is) and has enough.  
  9. Now AB probably really has ankle damage, but is trying to spin it as if he was the victim as if they forced him to pay hurt to mask that the root of all of this was his selfish agenda around his bonuses in the first place and handled everything as bad as one could handle it.  

Haha, my best sleuth attempt to decode all thats come out.  End of the day, regardless of what the turn is...AB is still nuts...and the Bucs (and Brady) still get to deal with this distraction heading into the post season, which is great :)

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

That's what I gather as well.

I'm thinking he wanted to hit the escalators that game and not have to play in week 18.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, FLFan said:

In my opinion, the is no reason to take AB at his word. This is classic behavior for him.  Nothing is ever his fault.  He has never taken responsibility for his behavior.  No surprise he has an AB spin ready for this one.  Arians is a tool so nothing would surprise me, but Brown should not get the benefit of the doubt.  

It all comes back to Bruce Arians no matter how anyone feels about the details of who is more to blame in my opinion.  He decided Antonio Brown is a good fit for the team I dont think he has any right to play the 'antonio brown is mentally deranged' card now.  Hes a bad coach that pushes enough of the wrong buttons that was just lucky enough to helm a good enough roster to lure Brady.  If Brady goes to SF, the chargers, or bears Arians is a nobody.

19 hours ago, uticaclub said:

AB certainly doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt, but if not for Brady, Arians is just another retread

Arians was a 2x NFL coach of the year before he had Brady on his team, so I don’t think “just another retread” is a fair characterization.

1 hour ago, wjag said:

From everything I have heard/read, I think your summary got it right.  He was mad that Gronk was getting all the targets, was playing on a bum ankle and decided that if they were not going to increase his targets, then why risk further injury.

Sounds like quite a team player. I can’t imagine why he has trouble staying on a roster.

1 hour ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

It all comes back to Bruce Arians no matter how anyone feels about the details of who is more to blame in my opinion.  He decided Antonio Brown is a good fit for the team I dont think he has any right to play the 'antonio brown is mentally deranged' card now.  Hes a bad coach that pushes enough of the wrong buttons that was just lucky enough to helm a good enough roster to lure Brady.  If Brady goes to SF, the chargers, or bears Arians is a nobody.

I just don’t think that Arians resume up to this point is indicative of a “nobody” 

36 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

Ugh.... my heart breaks for him and his mental illness.

It's obvious he is in anguish and this isn't just him being a premadonna prick, like he's always been. 

well here comes the he said she said stuff.    as with most thing,  the truth probably lies someplace in the middle of what both sides are saying.    

to me,  appears to either be a misunderstanding that AB took the wrong way and decided to let loose, or,  coach just got tired of his garbage and sent him packing.

as usual,  it probably has something to do with the $$$$.    team/coach  doesnt think he deserves the incentives,  AB thinks he does.

AB has a problem,  hes known for acting a fool,  he may be innocent here,  he wants the benefit of the doubt tho,  thats hard with his track record.

either way,  it hurts the Bucs,  and it hurts AB.  what hurts the Bucs is good for everybody else imo.

Edited by bigduke6
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.