Poyer and Hyde snap at Jerry Sullivan

IBTG81

12 hours ago, Simon said:

That's an insulting question.

One of them should have asked if him if he's embarrassed to be an ass.

Insulting? It's a question. They could've calmly said no and explained what they thought. 

I think Sully has an argument there though if he'd come right out and said it. That was not an awful game against the run, but it sure wasn't anywhere near good. At some point they had to know they weren't throwing. But even with only three passes thrown we couldn't consistently stop the run. 

Reasonable question.

1 hour ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

If a team decided to run the ball 45 times in a game, what would a "good" defensive performance look like?

<120 yards and 7 points? 

I mean how much lower can the bar be for our offense? 

They got two amazing drive starts in the first half and botched that, and frittered away the last two drives as soon as they got into the Red Zone. 

Hey, the offense deserves its share of the blame as well. Very true. Doesn't mean the D played well, though.

12 hours ago, FireChans said:

I don’t know why they are so mad at the question. Bill Belichick just called them embarrassing for 60 minutes by running the same play over and over daring them to stop the run. 

They should be ***** embarrassed.

Couldnt have said it better, and thats what Poyer and Hyde should of said. They SHOULD be embarrassed! You KNEW it was coming and couldnt stop them! ITS ONE YOU! Not the reporter. 

1 minute ago, Thurman#1 said:

I think Sully has an argument there though if he'd come right out and said it. That was not an awful game against the run, but it sure wasn't anywhere near good. At some point they had to know they weren't throwing. But even with only three passes thrown we couldn't consistently stop the run. 

Reasonable question.

Sully is not reasonable. He's a troll and loves to dunk on people he views as above him. He has a history of this sort of grandstanding. The killer is he'll say "he does it for the fans." :lol:

1 minute ago, stuvian said:

didn't know Sullivan was still working the Buffalo market

Ch.4 TV and Niagara Gazette.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-week-13-game-recap-new-england-patriots-14-buffalo-bills-10

Micah Hyde’s critical error on a pursuit angle is what opened the door for Harris’ long touchdown run in the first quarter. New England’s formations forced nine (and sometimes 10) Bills defenders near the line of scrimmage, leaving the safety in the middle of the field as the last line of defense.

Sometimes it's better to just own it. Hyde is a smart player. He was playing deep on the breakaway run for one reason - as a safety (hey, is that where the name comes from?) preventing the big run if a RB slips past that front 10.

12 hours ago, KzooMike said:

I agree completely and noticed the same pattern, but I also notice the pattern of us getting absolutely shredded on the ground. This defense is built for pass only football on both sides of the ball. At some point our leadership needs to see that balance in this game matters.    

Thank the Lord I am not the only one who believes this. And who also believes balance on the Offense is needed! Buffalo is one dimensional on offense, no run threat exists, so defending the pass is easy, even better when your front 3 or 4 DL can bring pressure and stop the run after one yard. The inability to defend the run and create the run on O are killing the Bills. 

Just now, The Frankish Reich said:

One step from the Lockport Union-Sun and Journal.

Jerry is close to retirement age and I guess doesn't want to leave the WNY area at this stage of his career after so many years in WNY.  Like many other WNYers.  

If he did, he wouldn't have trouble getting employment.

He's a respected writer on a national level, I'm sure much to the chagrin of most Bills fans here who hate him because he was critical of the Bills for a generation!

When this franchise was an endless tire fire of incompetence and mediocrity, Jerry said so! 

And this fanbase hates him for that.

Never got that.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Nextmanup said:

Jerry is close to retirement age and I guess doesn't want to leave the WNY area at this stage of his career after so many years in WNY.  Like many other WNYers.  

He's a respected writer on a national level, I'm sure much to the chagrin of most Bills fans here who hate him because he was critical of the Bills for a generation!

When this franchise was an endless tire fire of incompetence and mediocrity, Jerry said so! 

Never got that.

This couldn't be more wrong. He has the rep for being a tool. He earned it with this episode with Cam Newton at the Super Bowl:

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=998526130211783

1 minute ago, Nextmanup said:

Never got that.

I actually like him. Someone needs to be a little bit ... provocative. I think that's the nice term for it. He got a raw deal because Bills management couldn't take the heat back when they really deserved the heat.

Pretty much every national sports show had a segment about this Sullivan/Poyer/Hyde exchange from last night.  The conclusion is universal.  Sullivan's question was poor.  It's bush league to use trigger words...  He could've used "Disappointed" or "Frustrated" and he would not have lost the guys within 2 seconds.  He wanted to "win" the press conference and knew he'd trigger the players asking that.

Colin Cowherd was just discussing this incident on his show today. He basically said "embarrassed" was a trigger word, and Sullivan lost the interviewees with that question. He said he violated a cardinal rule of journalism. From there on, they wouldn't respect what he said. He said Sullivan was trying to make a name for himself. His co-host, Joy, said that a journalist should never become the news story.

He went on to say Buffalo was the better team last night, and won the statistical battle. He thought the Bills were going to win when they were in the red zone twice at the end of the game. Absent two good runs by New England, they only averaged 3.1 yards a carry.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

9 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Like it or not, the weather caused the Bills offense to misfire.  The fumble was deep in NE* zone...

Bills were a couple of plays away from a W. Quite a few times. As you say the weather was THE factor for THIS 10 point production. I can't stand all the negative Nancys.

As for the D, I though the PLAYERS did their part. The coaches? Not as much. Harris, Milano and Poyer were top notch yesterday.

Edited by Jerome007
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, HappyDays said:

While we're on the subject of press conferences Allen said in his press conference that the wind took that last pass. Also the defender covering Beasley made a smart play and abandoned his coverage to tip the ball. I'm not going to lay the blame on Allen for that one. I'm going to blame the offensive structure and personnel that put us in an extremely low percentage 4th and 14 situation for the game.

Did he say why he gave up on the play where he thought it was an Offside? He has to take advantage of that scenario and not just give up on an assumption. That was as big of a lapse an any last night.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Sharky7337 said:

I'm glad! The reporters have been ball washing them this whole season while we uner achieve. 

Jerry did us a solid.

Based on twitter activity today it looks like most of the local bills media is blasting this team and finally saying what a lot of the fans have regarding them being frauds, terrible coaching, etc.

24 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Based on twitter activity today it looks like most of the local bills media is blasting this team and finally saying what a lot of the fans have regarding them being frauds, terrible coaching, etc.

You know and I don't want to go to far in the extreme. 

But does anyone have an idea on how they have seen this team improve this year through coaching?

I mean I see it in New England, I saw it in Indianapolis, I saw it in tenesee. Shoot I even can see it in Miami! 

The after game love fests need to stop and we need to ask real questions.

Edited by Sharky7337

1 hour ago, Fallsnative01 said:

Couldnt have said it better, and thats what Poyer and Hyde should of said. They SHOULD be embarrassed! You KNEW it was coming and couldnt stop them! ITS ONE YOU! Not the reporter. 

They did stop them. 

What the heck game were you people watching? 

The defense gave the ball back to the offense twice in the 4th Quarter. 

The offense got down to the 6 yard line and failed to score. The defense came right back and stopped New England again. The offense got down to the 13 yard line and failed again. 

Yards are yards, 225 yards on 48 plays, wow what an epic collapse by the defense. 

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

They did stop them. 

What the heck game were you people watching? 

The defense gave the ball back to the offense twice in the 4th Quarter. 

The offense got down to the 6 yard line and failed to score. The defense came right back and stopped New England again. The offense got down to the 13 yard line and failed again. 

Yards are yards, 225 yards on 48 plays, wow what an epic collapse by the defense. 

the D did play well, and yes gave the ball to the O who failed to points on the board, I agree. I also can be right in saying while the D played well they didnt play well enough. Giving up a 64 yard TD run when you knew they were going to run is bad. The D should be pissed, and can take that anger to the O and talk to them about it, but blaming the reporter for asking the question is stupid. Guess what, they are talking about on ESPN, on Fox Sports, all over sports talk radio on how the Bills game stop the run (see Pats game, Indy game, Pitt game). We remember the Indy game right? 5 Rushing TDs. Are we blaming the Offense for that lose too? Lets be honest, this D isnt great at stopping the run. And the Offense is choking in the red one. Both are facts. 

2 hours ago, chongli said:

Colin Cowherd was just discussing this incident on his show today. He basically said "embarrassed" was a trigger word, and Sullivan lost the interviewees with that question. He said he violated a cardinal rule of journalism. From there on, they wouldn't respect what he said. He said Sullivan was trying to make a name for himself. His co-host, Joy, said that a journalist should never become the news story.

He went on to say Buffalo was the better team last night, and won the statistical battle. He thought the Bills were going to win when they were in the red zone twice at the end of the game. Absent two good runs by New England, they only averaged 3.1 yards a carry.

Interesting.  Craig n Evan on WFAN here in the Tri State Area basically clowned on Hyde and Poyer saying they should be embarrassed and were wrong to get upset

Edited by JerseyBills
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, chongli said:

Absent two good runs by New England, they only averaged 3.1 yards a carry.

That "absent" game is always a fun one to play. And both sides can play it!

- absent Allen's 21 yard run and Singletary's 17 yarder, we ran the ball 23 times for 68 yards: 2.95 yards per carry

- absent Diggs' great catch for 26 yards and Sanders' 19 yarder, Allen went 13-28 for 100 yards.

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Fallsnative01 said:

the D did play well, and yes gave the ball to the O who failed to points on the board, I agree. I also can be right in saying while the D played well they didnt play well enough. Giving up a 64 yard TD run when you knew they were going to run is bad. The D should be pissed, and can take that anger to the O and talk to them about it, but blaming the reporter for asking the question is stupid. Guess what, they are talking about on ESPN, on Fox Sports, all over sports talk radio on how the Bills game stop the run (see Pats game, Indy game, Pitt game). We remember the Indy game right? 5 Rushing TDs. Are we blaming the Offense for that lose too? Lets be honest, this D isnt great at stopping the run. And the Offense is choking in the red one. Both are facts. 

Offense has cost the Bills in their losses:

Steelers - That was the offense that didn’t get it done.

Titans - As much as the narrative was we couldn’t stop Tennessee, they couldn’t stop Josh either and we avoided OT, and went for it. At worst that’s 34-34 going to OT.

Jags - The offense was horrific and Allen’s interception gave the Jags the winning FG.

Colts - Defense got pounded.

Patriots - Couldn’t score in two trips to the Red Zone in the 4th. Didn’t get a point down by 4 points. 

• Like (+1) 2

They ran the ball 45x….. like 25 in a row! I’m more embarrassed we stayed 4-3. 

How does a team not have an answer to that? 5-3-3 maybe? 5-2-4? Goal line D? Nope stay in our base D 4-3.

Heres the question. If New England ran the ball 40 times every game what defense would you bring? 

You figure you would at least have a big body package. Nope 4-3……

Between now and the next New England game…. I’d insert a 5-2-4 package. But they won’t.

1 hour ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

They ran the ball 45x….. like 25 in a row! I’m more embarrassed we stayed 4-3. 

How does a team not have an answer to that? 5-3-3 maybe? 5-2-4? Goal line D? Nope stay in our base D 4-3.

Heres the question. If New England ran the ball 40 times every game what defense would you bring? 

You figure you would at least have a big body package. Nope 4-3……

Between now and the next New England game…. I’d insert a 5-2-4 package. But they won’t.

Should have gone to a Bear front and put a fifth Lineman in-especially when they were against the wind.

12 minutes ago, billsfan714 said:

Reporters on Around the Horn saying Sully should not of used the word embarrassed.

Well then I'm convinced. Woody Paige wrote my etiquette guide.

EDIT: actually if Mina Kimes said it, all is forgiven. 

3 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Should have gone to a Bear front and put a fifth Lineman in-especially when they were against the wind.

Obviously. We kept playing 2 (half the time 3) corners when they'd made it abundantly clear that Mac would never be allowed to throw a pass against the wind.

Edited by The Frankish Reich
  • Like (+1) 1

Sully is simply trying to get an article by being slimy.  Ask the question in a way that actually gives some insight to what the team was trying to do.

”you all played a predominantly 4-3 D against them even though they continued to run.  Did you feel you had the bodies to match their physicality, and could execution have been better throughout the night?”

but instead he tried to push the safeties (a top 3 combo in the league) into saying they were embarrassed or terrible tonight.  It solves nothing and it’s ***** reporting

• Agree 2

18 hours ago, Simon said:

That's an insulting question.

One of them should have asked if him if he's embarrassed to be an ass.

The question not only showed a lack of general people skills, it also indicated he’s not very good at his job. If you truly want to get insight from the players you follow, and want to maintain a long term relationship, you word that in a way that doesn’t undermine the relationship.

Asking something akin to “Are you embarrassed that you sucked in historical fashion?” Really?  That is not going to end well. Maybe ask about frustration or what you might have done differently. Implying they should be embarrassed will do nothing but offend them and shut them down. I have to believe he’d like a do-over on that question, but just wanted to get that factoid out. 

6 minutes ago, Augie said:

The question not only showed a lack of general people skills, it also indicated he’s not very good at his job. If you truly want to get insight from the players you follow, and want to maintain a long term relationship, you word that in a way that doesn’t undermine the relationship.

Asking something akin to “Are you embarrassed that you sucked in historical fashion?” Really?  That is not going to end well. Maybe ask about frustration or what you might have done differently. Implying they should be embarrassed will do nothing but offend them and shut them down. I have to believe he’d like a do-over on that question, but just wanted to get that factoid out. 

I agree with everything you say except your generous assumption that he would like a do-over.

I think the exchange went exactly how he wanted it to, he was proud of making himself part of the story and would do it again in a heartbeat. As long as he was at a safe distance behind a microphone.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.