Poyer and Hyde snap at Jerry Sullivan

IBTG81

2 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

He’s absolutely right in this case though. Hyde and Poyer should be embarrassed quite frankly. They couldn’t stop an angry flamingo. 

You ever try to tackle a flamingo?

Have I got a story for you.......

• Haha (+1) 4

Just now, IronMaidenBills said:

This is true, but given the circumstance with the wind, the offense did enough. Our pathetic defense couldn’t stop a run that everyone in the mother knew was coming. 

I blame more of the game on our terrible offensive line and RBs, but our defense got embarrassed tonight. 

Let's hope the team doesn't go in for this kind of "I did enough, it's on you" finger-pointing.

All 3 phases of the game came up short

1 minute ago, Simon said:

You ever try to tackle a flamingo?

Have I got a story for you.......

Let's hear it

Just now, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

What the hell are you talking about? It was a totally fair question; finally a tough one. Hyde acted childish in response.

There's 20 different ways to ask that question and he chose the most inflammatory one in order to make himself part of the story.

That's what douchebags do.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 3

People are pissed and I get it, but please don't defend this question. This defense isn't failing to stop the run because of effort. We have no interior mass. We are built as a pass defense only. Poyer and Hyde have been studs for us for awhile and always leave everything on the field. It was a classless look at me question trying to get the goat of two guys minutes removed from a devastating loss. If anybody should be asked that question it should have been the HC or the GM for the way this team is built. Not a couple DB's.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

3 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

This is true, but given the circumstance with the wind, the offense did enough. Our pathetic defense couldn’t stop a run that everyone in the mother knew was coming. 

I blame more of the game on our terrible offensive line and RBs, but our defense got embarrassed tonight. 

Would the same be true if the Offense converted 3 of it's red zone trips and Diggs caught the bomb and we had won 31-14? 

The defense gave up one busted play, and made them punt 6 times. Twice late in the 4th quarter to give the O two shots at winning the game.

This game is not on the defense by any stretch of the imagination. 

• Agree 6

i guess you could look at it like this...   at the end of the day what was the pats total offensive yardage?   your trading passing yardage for running yardage.

how many points did  you give up?    the only bad thing about them running that much is your losing time of possession.   

if you want them to stop running so much....score some points.   

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

This is true, but given the circumstance with the wind, the offense did enough. Our pathetic defense couldn’t stop a run that everyone and their mother knew was coming. 

It should have been less than 7 given the conditions. The whole stadium knew the pats were running and they couldn’t stop it. That’s embarrassing. 

Did you watch the game? How many chances did Allen have to put some points up? How many dropped passes? How many stupid play calls?

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Motorin' said:

Would the same be true if the Offense converted 3 of it's red zone trips and Diggs caught the bomb and we had won 31-14? 

The defense gave up one busted play, and made them punt 6 times. Twice late in the 4th quarter to give the O two shots at winning the game.

They couldn’t stop the run when everyone in the whole stadium knew they were running. Given the situation we should have made them punt more than 6 times. 

Just now, PromoTheRobot said:

Did you watch the game? How many chances did Allen have to put some points up? How many dropped passes? How many stupid play calls?

I agree the offense left a lot to be desired. But the defense had an extra defender or two in Mother Nature and they failed. 

10 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I have a hard time putting this on the defense.  They allowed only 14 points. Yeah, yeah, rushing yards. But 14 points is the bottom line. They mostly did their job.

McDermott was exactly right in his presser. He pointed out that despite the run defense struggles the Pats scored 14 points. The real issue is we were 1 for 4 in the red zone. Which has been a serious problem for us all year. We needed one TD drive that wasn't gifted to us by muffed punt.

• Agree 4

3 minutes ago, KzooMike said:

People are pissed and I get it, but please don't defend this question. This defense isn't failing to stop the run because of effort. We have no interior mass. We are built as a pass defense only. Poyer and Hyde have been studs for us for awhile and always leave everything on the field. It was a classless look at me question trying to get the goat of two guys minutes removed from a devastating loss. If anybody should be asked that question it should have been the HC or the GM for the way this team is built. Not a couple DB's.  

Hyde and Poyer are safeties and we’re thrown into the box to stop the run.  I distinctly remember both missing multiple tackles resulting in long rushes tonight.  Hyde was last line of defense on the long TD run and whiffed.  Deserved to be called out just like the entire defense. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

McDermott was exactly right in his presser. He pointed out that despite the run defense struggles the Pats scored 14 points. The real issue is we were 1 for 4 in the red zone. Which has been a serious problem for us all year. We needed one TD drive that wasn't gifted to us by muffed punt.

Exactly. Stop playing offense in the redzone like you have a Civic at QB when you have a Lambo.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

I would have liked to see the coaching staff force them to throw the ball earlier in the game. Bring in an extra dl instead of a lb, make them throw the ball. Don't be content with them running it. Can't blame the players too much.

Just now, RoscoeParrish said:

Hyde and Poyer are safeties and we’re thrown into the box to stop the run.  I distinctly remember both missing multiple tackles resulting in long rushes tonight.  Hyde was last line of defense on the long TD run and whiffed.  Deserved to be called out just like the entire defense. 

And how many points did the defense give up again? Holy ***** the scapegoating has reached epic levels

1 minute ago, RoscoeParrish said:

A reporters job is not to call people out.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I'm assuming some of this is because Sullivan is Sullivan, they probably don't like him. Isn't he independent now? Seems he still contributes to digital outlets but he's always kind of a troll. I enjoyed it, good to see some emotion. Clear rushing defense issues aside they're not wrong in term of total points, which is what really counts.

Hmm, from what I could tell, their answers told the story. One big run wasn't why we lost the game, ineptitude on offense played a larger role in that. They held the Pats to 14 points, 2 red zone trips and couldn't score a TD either time for the lead. The game was ours for the taking

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

I would have liked to see the coaching staff force them to throw the ball earlier in the game. Bring in an extra dl instead of a lb, make them throw the ball. Don't be content with them running it. Can't blame the players too much.

They made them go 3 and out on the first two series and they still refused to pass...

There's one sure fire way to make a team pass. And that's to get out to a lead. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, RoscoeParrish said:

Probably best to build a defense that doesn't require more than the allotted number of players on the field to be in the box to stop what is known to be coming. I don't blame Poyer or Hyde for that or the heart of the Bills defense.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Why because they got annoyed by a stupid question. Get real

Poyer and Hyde's response is completely understandable because they work their asses off and believe in themselves and their team.

They maintain a winning attitude even in the face of a tough loss. 

The Sullivan's of the world demand a loser attitude in the face of defeat. 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Still think this regime has its issues understanding offensive football and personnel. 

The offense has moved the ball consistently this year when Moss is not on the field, when Breida is running outside, when McKenzie is doing jet sweeps. I have no clue why every time we find something that works we go away from it the following week. I have called out Daboll's obssession with Moss runs inside the 10 multiple times this year. Today we yet again wasted a down trying yet another Moss run inside the 10. I don't understand why things like that, which are obvious to anyone who watches each game once, elude the coach whose job it is to watch every game multiple times and lean on the plays that work.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1

7 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I agree completely and noticed the same pattern, but I also notice the pattern of us getting absolutely shredded on the ground. This defense is built for pass only football on both sides of the ball. At some point our leadership needs to see that balance in this game matters.    

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Simon said:

A reporters job is not to call people out.

1 minute ago, JoPoy88 said:

And how many points did the defense give up again? Holy ***** the scapegoating has reached epic levels

That wasn’t the question that was posed.  We all know Jerry looks for clicks and throughout the entire drought era was the first to look for the negative.  It’s who he is and it has always been his style.  With that being said, to ask the defensive captains if their “run defense is embarrassing” is a fair and valid question.  He did not attack them personally, he attacked their performance.  Which is justified IMO.  Multiple missed tackles by both Poyer and Hyde and the entire defense.  Hyde’s whiff as last line of defense resulted in the longest run of the game.  

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 3

3 minutes ago, KzooMike said:

I agree completely and noticed the same pattern, but I also notice the pattern of us getting absolutely shredded on the ground. This defense is built for pass only football on both sides of the ball. At some point our leadership needs to see that balance in this game matters.    

But tonight also showed that a defense built to stop the pass can seriously limit the opponent's points. Run yards don't equal points. Frustrating to watch, sure, but not a losing strategy when the opponent scores 14. The offense just has to keep up their end of the bargain. It's 2021. There are no more shutdown defenses. For the most part the Bills defense does the most important thing which is limit TDs. Scoring TDs has been our problem in pretty much every game we've lost, the Colts game really being the only exception.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

All that culture is leading to a lot of angry Bills players… 

Yeah, it's the culture and had nothing at all to do with a smarmy leech insulting them while hiding behind a microphone. <_<

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Motorin&#x27; said:

They made them go 3 and out on the first two series and they still refused to pass...

There's one sure fire way to make a team pass. And that's to get out to a lead. 

The first two series were nice, but they changed their blocking scheme and found success. We did not want to go out of our comfort zone to shut them down again. If we could have continued the 3 and out on their series they would have cracked or they would have lost.

7 minutes ago, RoscoeParrish said:

That wasn’t the question that was posed.  We all know Jerry looks for clicks and throughout the entire drought era was the first to look for the negative.  It’s who he is and it has always been his style.  With that being said, to ask the defensive captains if their “run defense is embarrassing” is a fair and valid question.  He did not attack them personally, he attacked their performance.  Which is justified IMO.  Multiple missed tackles by both Poyer and Hyde and the entire defense.  Hyde’s whiff as last line of defense resulted in the longest run of the game.  

Well, when the opposition’s rushing offense in ENTIRELY their whole offense obviously the numbers are not going to look great. But yes, I take your point because there was mucho sloppy tackling out there.

Edited by JoPoy88

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.