Von Miller to the Rams

gonzo1105

14 minutes ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

I’m surprised rams have any draft picks, but helluva trade for em. NFC is going to run through LA

Yeah I don't know if they have any picks left now for that draft haha 

Good signing but they are definitely not believers in future consideration.

Denver likely wasn't going to trade him within the AFC

4 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

I think the mentality in LAR and Buffalo is a little different.  Snead, McVay and the Rams are all about mortgaging they figure for a championship.  They’ve traded high draft picks the past 2 or 3 seasons.  

Buffalo seems to be more measured in their approach.  They put a value on players and won’t really overspend.  To surrender a high pick the player has to be very good or fill a need (i.e. Diggs)

The Rams have a smaller opening based on Stafford's age, that said I have no issues with Beanies approach.

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If he's "always injured" how has he managed to only miss 1 game in the previous 6 seasons?

You're missing the 2020 season because it's not listed in PFR. He missed it in its entirety. That said, you're basically right - from 2014-19 he was incredibly durable.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Every time some poster on here says its a bad trade idea or an impossible deal, then some GM makes a bad trade. A potential great pass rusher for a couple picks is a great move for the Rams who are all in. He has been injured of late but its worth the risk

There are deals to be made to win now. Hopefully Beane makes a meaningful deal or two.

Agreed and we always hear - we dont have the cap space but then watch teams with less do it. I like the job McBeane is doing, but I do think they need to do something like this to get this team over the hump. Waiting for that headline - Bills trade for Norwell, Bills trade for Fuller, Bills trade for Engram, Bills trade for ....

1 minute ago, ngbills said:

Agreed and we always hear - we dont have the cap space but then watch teams with less do it. I like the job McBeane is doing, but I do think they need to do something like this to get this team over the hump. Waiting for that headline - Bills trade for Norwell, Bills trade for Fuller, Bills trade for Engram, Bills trade for ....

… Ertz.

• Haha (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

I think the mentality in LAR and Buffalo is a little different.  Snead, McVay and the Rams are all about mortgaging they figure for a championship.  They’ve traded high draft picks the past 2 or 3 seasons.  

Buffalo seems to be more measured in their approach.  They put a value on players and won’t really overspend.  To surrender a high pick the player has to be very good or fill a need (i.e. Diggs)

Another way to look at it is that they prefer to spend their highest draft picks on proven NFL players rather than prospects. It seems to be a strategy that works for them. It can't be argued that Ramsey and Stafford weren't good trades.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Process said:

The Bills should absolutely be looking to make a big time move like this. 

It may be a while before we have an easier road to the SB. The AFC is weak. This is the year.

Agreed, but they won't do it. Their approach is to be consistently good and be fortunate enough to win one year.

• Eyeroll 2
  • Dislike 1

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

A 2nd and a 3rd to take on $17.5M salary for a 32 yr old guy who is a very good player, but no longer the force he once was?

Rams are going "all in" for this season.  Good Luck with That.

Rams paying less than a mil for him. I will take that. 

3 minutes ago, ngbills said:

And if those picks yielded those type of players would that not be an incredible draft?

Exactly. 

Draft picks are just capital that you hope will get you good players. Could be rookies or established players. Stafford was 100% worth it for them, as was Ramsey, and many of their other moves. 

We spend a 1st rounder on Diggs, where if we hit the jackpot there we would hope to have a guy as good as Diggs after a couple years to develop.

Instead, we just get Diggs. Now. 

I LOVE this trade, because it makes Brady's path to yet another Super Bowl harder. 

Edited by TheFunPolice

21 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

I love teams that are not afraid to make a deal,  shows their fans & players they are serious about winning it all.  I expect Beane will do lots of talking and end up doing nothing.  Just like last season we have holes and it will catchup come playoff time when your no longer playing garbage teams

Yesterday should have brought attention to the need for a starting level guard and RB with speed,  one or the other if not both.  Singletary must lead the league in the past two years for runs of 1 yard or less.  Yes there are no massive holes,  but not being able to turn the corner makes it easier for defences to defend him.  4.65 forty guy is just not good enough

I give the Rams credit, they are not afraid to go all in the near term (i.e. next 2-3 years) at the expense of looking at a steep downturn with little to no resources via draft and cap space to replenish talent.

But from the Bills standpoint, Beane must do something even if just to address quality depth at positions of need (i.e. OG/DT) and not stand firm with the belief that holding on to mid/late round draft picks in 2022/2023 draft are more valuable than getting immediate veteran help even if only a short term rental vs players that probably won't even make this teams roster or remain on the practice squad (i.e. Jack Anderson).

Bottom line, is any Bills fan truly confident we would win a possible SB matchup against the Rams (with them having homefield advantage in that game) with this current oline/dline as is?

1 minute ago, TheFunPolice said:

Exactly. 

Draft picks are just capital that you hope will get you good players.

We spend a 1st rounder on Diggs, where if we hit the jackpot there we would hope to have a guy as good as Diggs after a couple years to develop.

Instead, we just get Diggs. Now. 

I LOVE this trade, because it makes Brady's path to yet another Super Bowl harder. 

Exactly. And you just reminded me how much we loved that trade. Yet other teams do it and there is a lot of that is not how the Bills do it, that is stupid to give up picks, etc. I think more than ever you should be willing to give up picks especially when your roster is quite full. More often than ever guys are changing teams when or even before the rookie deals are up. So you use your pick on a guy who may contribute after a year or two and then is gone. Or use a pick on a proven guy and get two high level years. Obviously you need a core that is in it for the long haul, which the bills have - Allen, Dawkins, Milano, White, etc. 

10 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If he's "always injured" how has he managed to only miss 1 game in the previous 6 seasons?

he missed all of last year. You are correct though hes not always injured. I had to look it up since i never hear his name anymore making plays. 

Just now, Virgil said:

Wow.  They are paying him to leave.  I understand you are paying the 9 mil to get a ROI on someone who was going to potentially walk in the offseason, but still stings

No, they are paying for 2nd and 3rd round picks as ammunition in a draft where they anticipate having to find a solution at QB.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, H2o said:

That look you make when Aaron Donald now has Von Miller on the outside

aaron-rodgers.jpg

He's pissed Miller won't be there next year when he joins the team

3 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

No, they are paying for 2nd and 3rd round picks as ammunition in a draft where they anticipate having to find a solution at QB.

Possibly.  I still think they are all in on the Rodgers train

2 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

I love teams that are not afraid to make a deal,  shows their fans & players they are serious about winning it all.  I expect Beane will do lots of talking and end up doing nothing.  Just like last season we have holes and it will catchup come playoff time when your no longer playing garbage teams

Yesterday should have brought attention to the need for a starting level guard and RB with speed,  one or the other if not both.  Singletary must lead the league in the past two years for runs of 1 yard or less.  Yes there are no massive holes,  but not being able to turn the corner makes it easier for defences to defend him.  4.65 forty guy is just not good enough

This is why I hate all the praise some fans give Beane, it feeds his ego and belief that everything he touches turns to gold.

I'm not saying we need to trade away all our top assets, but being afraid to move late round picks even for a short term rental for the rest of the year is silly when you look at some of the players we've drafted in recent years in the late rounds and how they are either riding the bench as ST only players, or not even on the roster and/or PS.

I would go as far to say moving a 3rd/4th round isn't a waste either depending on what you get in return and look no further than the horrendous Kelvin Benjamin trade in his first year as GM. Beane himself admitted in hindsight it was a bad move, but he did it because he believed this team could be in the playoffs. So if you believe your team is now close to a SB/championship why not go all in like the Rams are doing??

If we stand pat and do nothing you are right though, the holes this team has will ultimately kill any real championship aspirations especially with Feliciano on the roster an starting.

• Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I think it’s a genius move for LA. 
Their window is really small. Both in cap and age of players. Got to get one now cause in 2 years the whole thing probably blows up 

I mentioned this earlier too, LA is certainly going all in the next few years but there's a good chance they'll be in the #1 overall draft pick sweepstakes in the next five years.

But if they win at least one SB that's worth it and pretty sure most Bills fans would also share that sentiment given the fact we currently have zero in our trophy case.

• Agree 1

Just now, FilthyBeast said:

This is why I hate all the praise some fans give Beane, it feeds his ego and belief that everything he touches turns to gold.

I'm not saying we need to trade away all our top assets, but being afraid to move late round picks even for a short term rental for the rest of the year is silly when you look at some of the players we've drafted in recent years in the late rounds and how they are either riding the bench as ST only players, or not even on the roster and/or PS.

I would go as far to say moving a 3rd/4th round isn't a waste either depending on what you get in return and look no further than the horrendous Kelvin Benjamin trade in his first year as GM. Beane himself admitted in hindsight it was a bad move, but he did it because he believed this team could be in the playoffs. So if you believe your team is now close to a SB/championship why not go all in like the Rams are doing??

If we stand pat and do nothing you are right though, the holes this team has will ultimately kill any real championship aspirations especially with Feliciano on the roster an starting.

I agree you don't trade away 1st or 2nd rounders unless your getting a stud still under 25,  but no reason why we cannot find a starting level guard for 3rd  or 4th rounder and RB with play making skills and good speed for 5th or 6th rounder

Watch how other teams make moves and we sit around talking about getting better

La'el Collins  cap hit of $6,369,444 and can play both tackle and guard,  maybe we send them Butler (expiring contract) along with a 3rd or 4th rounder.  

• Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

I give the Rams credit, they are not afraid to go all in the near term (i.e. next 2-3 years) at the expense of looking at a steep downturn with little to no resources via draft and cap space to replenish talent.

But from the Bills standpoint, Beane must do something even if just to address quality depth at positions of need (i.e. OG/DT) and not stand firm with the belief that holding on to mid/late round draft picks in 2022/2023 draft are more valuable than getting immediate veteran help even if only a short term rental vs players that probably won't even make this teams roster or remain on the practice squad (i.e. Jack Anderson).

Bottom line, is any Bills fan truly confident we would win a possible SB matchup against the Rams (with them having homefield advantage in that game) with this current oline/dline as is?

I don't believe the Rams are the class of the NFC. And I don't believe Stafford will get them there. 

And if I'm wrong and they do make it there, and the Bills are there, you are ***** right I'm confident we can beat them with this oline/dline. And who is to say we don't get it figured out by then? Especially in that scenario, we are in the ***** super bowl?!?

That said, I'm not against upgrades and giving up mid to late draft picks for depth (or even a 'blockbuster' for the right player/situation), I just wanted to chime in on the one part of your post that I thought was ludicrous. 

• Vomit 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.