Josh to start vs Packers

Process

50 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

Lol no. Sorry he’s not a rookie there’s nothing to be re-acclimated to. There was no preseason last year and Allen was an MVP candidate. 

I think there is a difference when no one gets to play a preseason game, versus when the defensive units get to play some games while the quarterback plays zero snaps.  Maybe not, but it seems like an advantage for those who get some live practice.

• Agree 1

I may be in the minority but I expected the starters to play and am glad they are playing. It’s a great warm up at 1pm at home in front of a game crowd to mirror the week 1 experience. The starting defense needs to ensure their communication is working, etc. They have not played at all outside of Oliver and Levi. I don’t live in fear of injury in lieu of preparation. Other teams are doing joint practices and playing starters, why wouldn’t we. I’m glad this is the game we are doing it though, as it makes the most sense and still two weeks before the opener. 

I think the evaluation of the 53 is over by now and they no longer need 4 quarters of the backups to determine who stays and who goes. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 5

8 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Do you really not understand why one might be more worried about Josh playing in the preseason as opposed to games that actually matter?

Allen sees the field very well and one of the smartest QB's in the game. I do understand why people would worry because Josh Allen is also a big play maker at the QB position. I'm not sure its something you can turn off and on that easily. On the other hand going into a regular season game with less rust might help keep Josh Allen safer in the long run.

I Billieve... 

• Like (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, RangerDave said:

I think there is a difference when no one gets to play a preseason game, versus when the defensive units get to play some games while the quarterback plays zero snaps.  Maybe not, but it seems like an advantage for those who get some live practice.

I think you’re vastly overestimating the value of preseason games

7 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I may be in the minority but I expected the starters to play and am glad they are playing. It’s a great warm up at 1pm at home in front of a game crowd to mirror the week 1 experience. The starting defense needs to ensure their communication is working, etc. They have not played at all outside of Oliver and Levi. Hi I don’t live in fear of injury in lieu of preparation. Other teams are doing joint practices and playing starters, why wouldn’t we. I’m glad this is the game we are doing it though, as it makes the most sense and still two weeks before the opener. 

I think the evaluation of the 53 is over by now and they no longer need 4 quarters of the backups to determine who stays and who goes. 

I agree. McDermott has been clear in the past that one part of being prepared is practicing the pregame and start of game routine. The only way to practice it is in a preseason game, and that's what they're doing. Having said that I suspect that Alan has or will have instructions not to run the ball and not to scramble unnecessarily. The point isn't so much about making plays as it is about staying out of Harm's Way.

• Like (+1) 1

I think Allen needs this from a psychological point.

Coming into a home game at the opener for the first time in two years, his too amped up persona would show.

Get him in. Get him in front of the home crowd for two series and hope that he isn't nuclear against the Steelers.

• Like (+1) 5

23 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

We all saw how much Allen needed pre-season last year.

If only he would have played a preseason game he probably would have been MVP.

There is absolutely zero to gain from this and everything to lose. 

Keep in mind, no one had preseason last year so it was an even playing field going into week 1. That is not the case this year. Can’t just look at things in a vacuum. Btw I’m sure he will have a very light day. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Keep in mind, no one had preseason last year so it was an even playing field going into week. Can’t just look at things in a vacuum. Btw I’m sure he will have a very light day. 

I’m sure it’s mostly to get him in the routine of preparing for an actual game. 

Give him a series of hand offs. Maybe a few drop backs while getting the ball away very quick and call it a day. 

• Agree 1

Game flow purposes only. 1-2 possessions assuming all goes well. You just want to get him some reps organizing the offense, looking at a play clock, taking some snaps. They can go 3 and out and that's fine, just want to get a dress rehearsal in.

15 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

I’m sure it’s mostly to get him in the routine of preparing for an actual game. 

Give him a series of hand offs. Maybe a few drop backs while getting the ball away very quick and call it a day. 

Yes and it may even be him pushing to get in some live game action. He might feel he needs it. 

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I was actually left a little confused by what McDermott said, it sounded to me as though he said the starters would play after the half.

Did anyone else catch that?

I didn't see anyone address this. From what I saw, he said (paraphrasing): Many starters will play. Some might only play a snap or two. Some might play the quarter. Some might play into the second half. (and this is just my squeezing out a bit more) Some might not start, but come in in situations. The entire plan for each player is too complicated to answer in a short press conference, so let's just leave it at that. Many starters will play.

1 hour ago, JoPoy88 said:

I think you’re vastly overestimating the value of preseason games

I think you are vastly, maybe completely, underestimating the value of preseason games for some players and teams. 

Edited by The Dean
  • Like (+1) 2

I think this is a sign that Dawkins is ready to go for at least as long as Allen is going to play.  Dawkins is probably not 100% yet for endurance but he can still get out there and be effective protecting Allen.  That wasn't the case against the Lions and it wasn't proven against the Bears, who have some excellent pass rushers.  

Having Allen play this weekend but not being worried about him the next weekend, against the Steelers and THEIR pass rushers, doesn't make much sense.  Give Allen a little time to get up to game speed.

Allen didn't have a preseason last year, and finished the season playing lights out, but he wasn't as good at the beginning of the season.  The Bills struggled to beat the Jets, for heaven's sake.  I think having him play this weekend is a good move.

48 minutes ago, The Dean said:

I didn't see anyone address this. From what I saw, he said (paraphrasing): Many starters will play. Some might only play a snap or two. Some might play the quarter. Some might play into the second half. (and this is just my squeezing out a bit more) Some might not start, but come in in situations. The entire plan for each player is too complicated to answer in a short press conference, so let's just leave it at that. Many starters will play.

I think you are vastly, maybe completely, underestimating the value of preseason games for some players and teams. 

Ah, OK, I think I misheard "into" as "in".  Changes the meaning considerably.

3 hours ago, Realist said:

I'd give him 2 series. Just to get acclimated to game speed.

Yes, you cannot play scared. Get a TD Drive and call it quits....

Easy-peasy. I'm excited! 

Allen, Dawson- Feliciano-Morse- Ford - Williams, Diggs, Sanders, Beasley, Knox and Singletary.

Defense: Jerry - Star - Ed - AJ, Edmunds - Milano, Wallace, Taron, Hyde, Poyer, and White!

Will AJ get the start? I think he's ready. Maybe piss Addison off and get him playing harder.

We haven't seen them since January!

Watched the colts game recently....That was a tough game! Allen's weapons were hurt. WE NEED MORE WEAPONS!

Sign Ertz!

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I may be in the minority but I expected the starters to play and am glad they are playing. It’s a great warm up at 1pm at home in front of a game crowd to mirror the week 1 experience. The starting defense needs to ensure their communication is working, etc. They have not played at all outside of Oliver and Levi. I don’t live in fear of injury in lieu of preparation. Other teams are doing joint practices and playing starters, why wouldn’t we. I’m glad this is the game we are doing it though, as it makes the most sense and still two weeks before the opener. 

I agree.  Rookies, Vets or not they should get in a quick warm up.

4 hours ago, CountDorkula said:

We all saw how much Allen needed pre-season last year.

If only he would have played a preseason game he probably would have been MVP.

There is absolutely zero to gain from this and everything to lose. 

Well, he did have two lost fumbles against the Jets in week 1.

Don't see the harm in it, as long as his time is limited.  He's gotta get game-speed reps in, especially with the new receivers.  I'd expect a fair amount of handoffs, so Pitt has nothing to go on as far as game film in the passing game.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, The Dean said:

the Bills aren’t one of those teams and Allen isn’t one of those players. The preseason is a racket, nothing more.

I wouldn't do it. My feelings on preseason are well documented.  Makes no sense to risk injury in a meaningless game. They already know 48 or the 53 and honestly guy 49 to 59 are all interchangeable anyway. College plays no preseason games and the product on the field is fine from day one. Yes lots of college teams play patsies week 1 but many do not. 

These guys are professionals playing in the same offense and defense for the last three years. No need to play anyone but the scrubs.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I wouldn't do it. My feelings on preseason are well documented.  Makes no sense to risk injury in a meaningless game. They already know 48 or the 53 and honestly guy 49 to 59 are all interchangeable anyway. College plays no preseason games and the product on the field is fine from day one. Yes lots of college teams play patsies week 1 but many do not. 

These guys are professionals playing in the same offense and defense for the last three years. No need to play anyone but the scrubs.

NFL play is always super rusty early in the season anyway. The amount of time NFL teams spend practicing is incredibly limited compared to other levels of football. The preseason does nothing to increase the quality of early season football. It’s always apparent that teams are trying to establish who they are the first few games. I don’t understand how people see the benefit of playing established starters. 

46 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I understand your argument, but this particular preseason isn’t the norm. I agree that the starters should get a taste of game speed but I will go as far as to say maybe a series or two. If anything, if Josh goes out and tears it up on the first or second drive, it’ll shoot down the supposed playing in front of a crowd assumption as a reason for Josh taking a step back. Which is inconsistent anyway given that all he’s done every year is progress

3 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I can’t see him playing more than two series if that but hey the coaching staff probably has the feel that he needs some reps.

That's what I was thinking. On other hand though I also won't be surprised if McD plays him half the 1st quarter or the entire 1st quarter.