PostGame Thread Bills @ Bears

47 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Turnovers is the number one factor in NFL losses.   You turn it over, you lose.  Muff a punt, that's a 40-yard play for the opponent, and you put the defense back on the field.   Simply can't afford it.  It's one of the reasons Roberts is so good.   He's really sure-handed.  McKenzie never has been.   

McKenzie apparently spent the off-season catching punts.  Looks like it didn't help.  

That's why we need to get Ryan Switzer in here ASAP. Or trade for Kupp... we saw how many games McFumble gave away on us.

Edited by Sherlock Holmes

1 hour ago, Aaronthebaron said:

Hollister has some wheels, Trubisky was excellent. Some excellent D lineman are gonna get cut. Anyone else catch Zimmer chase down the receiver on the bubble screen?

Another average showing by Brieda, other than the almost touchdown. 

Heck yes, Aaron -- that was a fantastic play by Zimmer. The kid can really run. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, hemma said:

My Stat of the Day — Bears were 0-11 on 3rd down.

The D seems to be back and better than ever.

And the starting D didn't even play a single snap outside of maybe Oliver and Groot?

Mitch tears it up without Diggs, Beasley and Sanders. 

I can't remember a team being this deep. 

Guys like Davis and McKenzie look like legitimate receiving threats and they might be a 4th and 5th options at WR. 

Even Powell looked like McKenzie light out there.

• Like (+1) 5

39 minutes ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

Watch, It will be the Bears!!! LMAO.

haha! I never thought of that. Has such a thing ever happened???

Wow what a story that would be.

I figured Philadelphia, Detroit etc...

Chicago would reset the whole NFL.

The QB sucked because of coaching.....

crazy thought, or not........

23 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Before the game, I highlighted a few items for which I was excited to watch. Here are some follow-up thoughts in bold.

Example of a great TBD post.

..I won't quote it all.

Concise yet thorough, great presentation, etc. 

Not blowing smoke up your butt... however, the more of this type the better, even if you don't agree w this/that point.

Well done sir.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Dukestreetking said:

Example of a great TBD post.

..I won't quote it all.

Concise yet thorough, great presentation, etc. 

Not blowing smoke up your butt... however, the more of this type the better, even if you don't agree w this/that point.

Well done sir.

Good point.   It was a really good post.   Here are my pregame questions, and here are my postgame answers.   And good insights, too. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Putin said:

So he’s a franchise QB already after playing in two preseason games ?

The Bears have had exactly 2 QBs worth a damn in their entire history, Sid Luckman & Jim McMann -and he was a flake! 

So yes, by Bears standards, the Rook is the franchise QB..🤦‍♂️

• Haha (+1) 3

A gem from the Bears forum

Post in thread '***OFFICIAL*** IGT: Bears vs Bills (Preseason Edition: #MITCHISBACK - The Final Chapter AKA Mitchpocalypse)' https://www.chicitysports.com/forum/threads/official-igt-bears-vs-bills-preseason-edition-mitchisback-the-final-chapter-aka-mitchpocalypse.84283/post-3722939

This is the most confident I’ve ever been watching Mitch

Edited by WhitewalkerInPhilly
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

If ya can’t be on the beach, this is second best way to spend a Saturday afternoon! Dominating performance all around. Some positions became clearer today and I think a couple younuns’ made the team. Need info on a couple injuries -dammit!🤬

Post your thoughts.

I'm actually am on the beach (Titikaveka Beach) and am following what you are all saying about the game.  Sounds like a dominant performance!  I'm looking forward to watching it when I head back to NZ next week, but I don't want this holiday to end with me going back to our winter.

Let's go Buffalo!

Edited by Bad Things
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsFan619 said:

They should’ve been worrying about him last year too. He sucks! So glad that the Dolphins are trying to give him more time. They can stay down in the division longer.

It’s a very good thing.  Hopefully, they give Tua a third year to prove himself. OTH, I think Jones and Wilson are the real deal…won’t be a big problem this year, but I think the Jets and Pats may have found their QBs of the future…

14 minutes ago, ThurmanThomasEnglishMuffin said:

haha! I never thought of that. Has such a thing ever happened???

Wow what a story that would be.

I figured Philadelphia, Detroit etc...

Chicago would reset the whole NFL.

The QB sucked because of coaching.....

crazy thought, or not........

I could see Dabol going there, but not Mitch. Doubt Detroit, just hired Campbell. As someone else mentioned,  he didn't even interview for the Eagles. Would make a heck of a story line though.😁

2 minutes ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

I could see Dabol going there, but not Mitch. Doubt Detroit, just hired Campbell. As someone else mentioned,  he didn't even interview for the Eagles. Would make a heck of a story line though.😁

I have been watching NFL football for 30+ years. Never seen a 0 cost value like Dabs and Trubisky as a package deal other than $.

If my team is so bad that I need a new HC, then Trubs will be the QB if Dabs says so, and they will pay for it.

Buffalo needs to cash in now.

No team has a better HC/OC/QB1/QB2 situation than Buffalo has now. Cash in.

• Like (+1) 2

This is borderline politics, but the joke is so good I have to risk it:

HeHateMe said:

Nagy's new sunglasses make him look kinda insurrectiony

If only he had led the insurrection, they mob would have not have advanced 10 yards, thus preserving the ordearly transfer of power.[sic]

https://www.chicitysports.com/forum/threads/official-igt-bears-vs-bills-preseason-edition-mitchisback-the-final-chapter-aka-mitchpocalypse.84283/post-3723219

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

I'm not sure why so many posters are down on Boogie's performance today. As I posted in the Game Balls thread, yes, Boogie had the Offside penalty, but he also led the team with 5 tackles (4 solo), had two tackles for a loss (showed up in the run game, not just as a pass rusher), had 2 QB hits, a sack, and a blocked extra point. Sure, much of his playing time came later, against lesser competition...but I certainly wouldn't call that a bad day for a rookie in only his second game.

Edited by folz
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

39 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

The Bears have had exactly 2 QBs worth a damn in their entire history, Sid Luckman & Jim McMann -and he was a flake! 

So yes, by Bears standards, the Rook is the franchise QB..🤦‍♂️

This is why I loved seeing Trubs carve up Chicago. I loved every second.

Mitch Trubisky should have never been drafted where he was. That is not his fault.

I do think behind Daboll and JA for a year Trubisky will 'get it' in the NFL.

If I am a franchise in 2022 who needs a winning season, Daboll and Trubisky is a given situation.

Sick mid term fix from Buffalo of all places.

• Like (+1) 1

I think TE's on this team are going to be a lot stronger than some of the folks here think.  They looked very good today.  I don't know if some people even have an original thought sometimes by the way they just regurgitate the same negative lines about certain players or areas on the team.  Tight end group is a good current example.  IMO of course.

1 hour ago, Stranded in Boston said:

Heck yes, Aaron -- that was a fantastic play by Zimmer. The kid can really run. 

I want to see Zimmer with some FB carries. And how about TE, like that dude on the Ravens?

Edited by CSBill
  • Like (+1) 1

I remember all the years of watching Bills preseason games where the Bills looked like the Bears looked tonight. Sloppy, uninspired, outmatched, no urgency.

I would always tell myself "It's just preseason! No need to worry!". Lo and behold, the season would come, and they'd look just like they looked in preseason. I came to realize over the years that to a large degree, preseason performance DOES matter. Sure, the playcalling is vanilla and there are backups scattered throughout the lineup, but the fundamental football questions remain: Are you getting in and out of the offensive huddle crisply and efficiently? Executing your blocking assignments? Tackling with sound fundamentals? Playing tight coverage? Running good routes? Protecting the football? Scoring points? Avoiding 3-and-outs?

I'm so glad that the Bills are finally on the other side of the equation. Despite resting all of the best players on our team, we soundly outplayed the Bears in all three phases. No sloppy penalties or confusion, no dumb, unforced errors (save for McKenzie's fumble), converting on 3rd and 4th down....just generally looking like a well assembled, well coached, relatively deep football team.

Coaching absolutely matters. Seeing McDermott's crew side-by-side with Nagy's crew....no contest. Hats off to coach McDermott. All the credit in the world to him, he's built an excellent program here in Buffalo. 

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, billsherd said:

Did Obada play today?

Did some good things, but also let Fields break contain for big yards.  I'm sure if the Bills were game planning to defend a mobile and athletic QB like Fields that would be stressed heavily in the preparation, but it's also something that he has to learn.

3 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Do yourself a favor and watch #50 every time he's on the field. Unreal performance for a rookie after a year off from football.

Almost through the 1st quarter and I just been watching 50, 97 and 91.  They’ve been getting upfield.  Rousseau clearly a specimen out there.  Such a small sample size and I may be getting ahead of myself, but we may finally have another elite DE.  Wasn’t expecting this, but I guess I should have.

43 minutes ago, Logic said:

I remember all the years of watching Bills preseason games where the Bills looked like the Bears looked tonight. Sloppy, uninspired, outmatched, no urgency.

I would always tell myself "It's just preseason! No need to worry!". Lo and behold, the season would come, and they'd look just like they looked in preseason. I came to realize over the years that to a large degree, preseason performance DOES matter. Sure, the playcalling is vanilla and there are backups scattered throughout the lineup, but the fundamental football questions remain: Are you getting in and out of the offensive huddle crisply and efficiently? Executing your blocking assignments? Tackling with sound fundamentals? Playing tight coverage? Running good routes? Protecting the football? Scoring points? Avoiding 3-and-outs?

I'm so glad that the Bills are finally on the other side of the equation. Despite resting all of the best players on our team, we soundly outplayed the Bears in all three phases. No sloppy penalties or confusion, no dumb, unforced errors (save for McKenzie's fumble), converting on 3rd and 4th down....just generally looking like a well assembled, well coached, relatively deep football team.

Coaching absolutely matters. Seeing McDermott's crew side-by-side with Nagy's crew....no contest. Hats off to coach McDermott. All the credit in the world to him, he's built an excellent program here in Buffalo. 

Preseason wins don't matter but the fundamentals are very important. Are we tackling, hitting the right holes, do our QB and reciever make the same read of Defense. I was impressed by that today more than anything. Good points

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

No way they should carry 3 QBs this year.  Use that spot for an extra linemen.  

They won’t.  Next week will determine whether we place State Fromm on the PS, and cut Webb or reverse.  I hope we keep Webb and let From. Figure out his next move.  Remember Webb was a 3rd round pick in 2017 to Fromm’s 5th.  I see more value in retaining Webb for insurance, and his coach on the field stuff.  

I’ve said it the interesting for me is in total we keep 10 guys for WR/TE.  We’ll see how it splits out.  I think we only keep 3 RB’s (not counting Jones), and maybe Williams makes it on the PS.

54 minutes ago, Logic said:

Amen, brother.  I said something similar.  You said it better.  

Coaches say you play how you practice.  All the Bills players say practice is full speed, all the time.  The best players are doing the best they can, every rep, and everyone else follows.   They step on the field, and they just do what they did in practice.  Trubisky looked like he'd been running this offense for years.  Rookies all know their roles.  Everyone supports each other.  

It's a beautiful thing.  

I never imagined. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just watching the replay now and Kumerow TOWERS over Hollister, a TE. I know it's a dead horse, but I really hope they get this guy involved as at LEAST a RedZone threat this year. His physical frame combined w/ his fluidity and (so far) decent hands, I can see why Rodgers gave him the seal of approval. 

1 hour ago, CSBill said:

I want to see Zimmer with some FB carries. And how about TE, like that dude on the Ravens?

Made me think of Carwell Gardner. Old number 35, he was a favorite of mine since he went to Louisville. As the saying goes, you need a yard, he will get you a yard, need two yards and he will get you a yard. Gilliam looks better, I hope he has a role in the offense.

Edit: Oh crap, you said Zimmer, I was already in Gilliam mode and misread your comment.

Edited by Coastie
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

My biggest negative:  McKenzie.  Bills simply cannot afford to have a guy mishandle punts.   He's been dropping them since he arrived in Buffalo.   Every season he's looked better and better at receiver, and today he was solid there.   Doesn't matter.  Can't muff punts.  

Shaw.  Yes, can’t muff punts.  

But how many has he actually dropped?  I think you need to look it up yourself

• Thank you (+1) 1

The after glow:

1.  Singletary has clearly been eating his Wheaties.  He looks ten times more explosive this year. 

2. TD Jesus has the winner of toe drag swag this weekend.

3. Second week in a row I have been impressed with the run defense.

4. Stevenson made the team today (presuming he is not seriously injured).  Bills have to somehow keep 7 WRs.  There will be no sneaking him on the PS.

5.  Hollister making a case for TE1.

6.  This game had just about everything a coach would like to see in situational football.

7.  Bills 2s > Bears 1s

8.  Loved the pitch play today.  Seems like forever since we have seen that in Buffalo.  Glad it will be in the Daboll playbook this year.

9.  Dline had some fantastic push today.  Sad about Harrison.  

10. Oline took a serious hit on depth today..

11. Daboll can run the entire playbook with Mitch in there.  Several of Mitch's throw's were high.  He needs better positioning for his WRs.

12. This team is LOADED..

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

27 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Just watching the replay now and Kumerow TOWERS over Hollister, a TE. I know it's a dead horse, but I really hope they get this guy involved as at LEAST a RedZone threat this year. His physical frame combined w/ his fluidity and (so far) decent hands, I can see why Rodgers gave him the seal of approval. 

Both are listed at 6’4”.  The towering may be a camera perspective

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Beast said:

Outside of Tight End, I feel darned good about the squad moving forward. Great depth.

I was blown away  with how fast JH looked on that 20 yard catch and run 

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Both are listed at 6’4”.  The towering may be a camera perspective

If u don't mind me asking where did u see the replay 

19 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Shaw.  Yes, can’t muff punts.  

But how many has he actually dropped?  I think you need to look it up yourself

I don't know anything about his career before he came to Buffalo.   I know I've seen him muff multiple punts before today.   He's returned only 16 punts in Buffalo, plus a few more in preseason.    So, at least in my mind, he's muffed three out of 20 or 25.  

• Like (+1) 1

One more. 

That Andre Smith hit on Fields was Fields fault. He did not adjust the protection. Rookie mistake. Smith got there so fast and at full speed. Fields helmet popping off reminded me of a Pez dispenser. 

Edited by wjag
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1