Barnwell Predicts Ertz Will be Dealt to Bills after June 1st

I would have put this in one of the many other Ertz threads, but it appears as if they have all been locked.

Eagles trade Zach Ertz to ... Buffalo Bills

Philadelphia Eagles get: 2022 seventh-round pick, TE Tommy Sweeney

“Beane has been aggressive -- and successful -- in rehabilitating players who seemed to be struggling elsewhere over the past few years. He has also repeatedly gone after weapons for QB Josh Allen. Dealing a late-round pick and a player on the bottom of the roster in Sweeney for Ertz would give the Bills a well-regarded teammate and a player who was thought of as a premier tight end as recently as a year ago. With Ertz reducing his salary to $3.5 million as part of the deal, I love this low-risk, high-reward move for Buffalo.“

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/31468244/predicting-15-post-june-1-deadline-nfl-deals-including-julio-jones-trade-richard-sherman-signing-more

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

I would have put this in one of the many other Ertz threads, but it appears as if they have all been locked.

“Beane has been aggressive -- and successful -- in rehabilitating players who seemed to be struggling elsewhere over the past few years. He has also repeatedly gone after weapons for QB Josh Allen. Dealing a late-round pick and a player on the bottom of the roster in Sweeney for Ertz would give the Bills a well-regarded teammate and a player who was thought of as a premier tight end as recently as a year ago. With Ertz reducing his salary to $3.5 million as part of the deal, I love this low-risk, high-reward move for Buffalo.“

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/31468244/predicting-15-post-june-1-deadline-nfl-deals-including-julio-jones-trade-richard-sherman-signing-more

They were locked because they were speculation that degraded into silliness once it was clear there was No New News.   Let's see if this can avoid a similar fate....

Do you have any info on how successful Bill Barnwell's past predictions have been?

1 minute ago, Dick_Cheney said:

I'd be entirely thrilled for this to go down, but, I'll believe it when it happens.

Pretty much where I am.

Isn't Ertz due to be released after June 1st, therefore nullifying his contract? I don't think Beane does this deal with Ertz's current contract, but if new terms can be worked out, this is a good deal all around. 

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

They were locked because they were speculation that degraded into silliness once it was clear there was No New News.   Let's see if this can avoid a similar fate....

Do you have any info on how successful Bill Barnwell's past predictions have been?

Pretty much where I am.

Yeah I understand why you locked them. I just felt this had merit because it is an ESPN writer and not some blogger or local outlet. Not sure how accurate his predictions are or if he is working from any inside information. But I will certainly leave it up to your discretion whether you think this has merit to stay open.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

Yeah I understand why you locked them. I just felt this had merit because it is an ESPN writer and not some blogger or local outlet. Not sure how accurate his predictions are or if he is working from any inside information. But I will certainly leave it up to your discretion whether you think this has merit to stay open.

I try to let the thread lead - if folks are talking reasonably football-centered reasonably on  topic, it's All Good.

I personally think Pigs will Fly first.  Spotrac is currently useless for capology (has every player's salary doubled - not just on the Bills).

OTC says $4.6M but doesn't include signing bonuses for players below the top-51 cutoff or small amounts of dead cap, so it's typically high.   Doing some calculator work my guess is that $3.6-$3.8M cap is pretty much what we got.

So even if he takes a salary cut to $3.5M, that would basically eat our cap. 

Based on past history, Beane seems to like to go into the season with some free cap in case of injuries, which I believe, historically, has been about $3.5M

Right about where we are

Myself, I think Sanders was the "aggressively pursuing new weapons for Allen" along with (to follow the gladiator gif above) duels between Hollister, Knox, and Sweeney for roster/playing time and between a bunch of WR at the lower end of the roster to make the team/see the field.

• Thank you (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Why wouldn’t we just wait until after June 1st when he’s likely cut so we can sign him for less money?

Because 30 other teams could sign him either via waivers or FA if he's cut.

• Like (+1) 3

IMO our offense is pretty darn good and probably will be even better this year with HEALTHY E Sanders , 

are we giving up on Knox ? Because I don’t see many targets going his way if will make that trade , 

IMO we NEED to upgrade our backfield just look at our division pats***. &  dolphins the TE’s and all the speed at WR that will have to deal with , 

1 hour ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

Beane has been aggressive -- and successful -- in rehabilitating players who seemed to be struggling elsewhere over the past few years. He has also repeatedly gone after weapons for QB Josh Allen. Dealing a late-round pick and a player on the bottom of the roster in Sweeney for Ertz would give the Bills a well-regarded teammate and a player who was thought of as a premier tight end as recently as a year ago. With Ertz reducing his salary to $3.5 million as part of the deal, I love this low-risk, high-reward move for Buffalo.“

I'm trying to think who Barnwell is referencing with that statement, but I honestly can't think of anyone. 

For the trade proposal we're giving away nothing of value, and getting Ertz at 3.5mm ? That would be a great trade 

6 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

I'm trying to think who Barnwell is referencing with that statement, but I honestly can't think of anyone. 

For the trade proposal we're giving away nothing of value, and getting Ertz at 3.5mm ? That would be a great trade 

It's probably something like that or Ertz walks for nothing.

He’s probably going to be cut post June 1st. My guess is Beane will get him to sign a 1 year deal a little north of vet minimum. Because this is what Beane is best at. It’s a prove me deal on a playoff team with one of the best QBs in the NFL throwing to you. Plus, competition is minimal. Gives more time for Knox to develop. 

There’s few other decent situations for Ertz to enter. It’s either the team is set at TE, they are a bottom feeder, or they have no cap room. If a team really needed him, they would’ve traded for him. It sounds like the asking price is low. 

Edited by Saint Doug

I continue to love the idea of adding Ertz!  But no way do we get him for $3.5 million, that's fantasyland. 

I thought the reduced $8.5mill was a bargain.  He's a former pro bowler who had one down year.  IMO, he's closer to H Henry/J Smith ($12.5mill) than he is C Manhertz (who?  $3.3 mill) and Dan Arnold ($3m).

To meet the expense Bills would have to do some retooling.  It might include moving the reduced but still expensive Addison after June 1st.

This could be a set up article to make Philly management look good.  It may be a nice sign though that someone is considering a new low in the price of Ertz - both financially and in terms of draft capital.

I mean its a pretty easy scenario to work out if what we are assuming is true;

Either Beane waits until he gets cut after June 1st and compete with other teams that will be interested, or trade something to guarantee we hold his contract and have first negotiations.

I can't start any threads yet so I'm going to post a question here that I have been thinking about; I was watching NFL Live and it appears that Julio Jones is definitely out of Atlanta and that they think that Atlanta gets at most a 2nd round pick unless a bid war gets started, also they pointed out that his salary would rank 19th among wrs-lower than nelson agholor- so I ask myself at the age of 32 I think he has 4 more years at his current level of play but because of his route running ability he could be a viable threat for much longer-

Is a 1st round pick worth 4 years of basically hall of fame level play at wr for a team that is in win now mode?  And also I would really hate to see him go to the pats.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, just1hugheser said:

I mean its a pretty easy scenario to work out if what we are assuming is true;

Either Beane waits until he gets cut after June 1st and compete with other teams that will be interested, or trade something to guarantee we hold his contract and have first negotiations.

I can't start any threads yet so I'm going to post a question here that I have been thinking about; I was watching NFL Live and it appears that Julio Jones is definitely out of Atlanta and that they think that Atlanta gets at most a 2nd round pick unless a bid war gets started, also they pointed out that his salary would rank 19th among wrs-lower than nelson agholor- so I ask myself at the age of 32 I think he has 4 more years at his current level of play but because of his route running ability he could be a viable threat for much longer-

Is a 1st round pick worth 4 years of basically hall of fame level play at wr for a team that is in win now mode?  And also I would really hate to see him go to the pats.

You don’t give up a first round pick for a 32 year old WR coming of an injury / huge salary , to be your # 2 WR 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Putin said:

You don’t give up a first round pick for a 32 year old WR coming of an injury / huge salary , to be your # 2 WR 

Thanks for the response, yea I def dont think it happens or should happen for that matter, I'm just really curious where everyone lands on this, he is coming off an injury but he has not been injury prone i think over the previous six seasons he missed 4 games though Id have to look that up Im guessing from memory.  And his salary is up there but can always be re-worked and according to nfl live his cap hit is 19th among wrs.  I'm just wondering how much a GM has to think about a thing like that when the team is so close and other championship caliber teams are stocking talent everywhere as well, and I would really hate it if he went to the pats haha- thats my only drive for signing players so that NE cant get em

45 minutes ago, Saint Doug said:

He’s probably going to be cut post June 1st. My guess is Beane will get him to sign a 1 year deal a little north of vet minimum. Because this is what Beane is best at. It’s a prove me deal on a playoff team with one of the best QBs in the NFL throwing to you. Plus, competition is minimal. Gives more time for Knox to develop. 

There’s few other decent situations for Ertz to enter. It’s either the team is set at TE, they are a bottom feeder, or they have no cap room. If a team really needed him, they would’ve traded for him. It sounds like the asking price is low. 

A little north of vet minimum? You're kidding right? 

• Like (+1) 1

Is it soup yet..., 

not holding my breath on this, sounds like more off season nonsense than anything reality based. I have read conflicting reports on Ertz being all that useful at this point, I guess we can only wait for something or nothing to happen concerning this supposed trade...,

2 hours ago, Tuel Time said:

Shiiiiiitttttt, I'd take that deal in a heartbeat.

EDIT: I did not intend this to be a pun, sorry about that LOL

It looks like you accomplished your mission.  I don't see anything close to a pun.

• Like (+1) 2

43 minutes ago, just1hugheser said:

Thanks for the response, yea I def dont think it happens or should happen for that matter, I'm just really curious where everyone lands on this, he is coming off an injury but he has not been injury prone i think over the previous six seasons he missed 4 games though Id have to look that up Im guessing from memory.  And his salary is up there but can always be re-worked and according to nfl live his cap hit is 19th among wrs.  I'm just wondering how much a GM has to think about a thing like that when the team is so close and other championship caliber teams are stocking talent everywhere as well, and I would really hate it if he went to the pats haha- thats my only drive for signing players so that NE cant get em

I have no doubt that a year ago before we got Diggs Bean would have pulled the trigger , who knows he might be on phone with Atlanta as we speak , I think the only team that might give up a 1st round pick for Jones is the freaking patriots***** , Bill still has a bad taste in his mouth from watching Brady winning the SB 

27 minutes ago, Process said:

A little north of vet minimum? You're kidding right? 

Reminds me of Sam Malone trying to lure customers back to Cheers with his version of hors d'oeuvres.

"I'm talking about American cheese on top of some saltines and everything..."

• Haha (+1) 1

Alright, another Zack Ertz thread...

Never gonna give you up
Never gonna let you down
Never gonna run around and desert you
Never gonna make you cry
Never gonna say goodbye
Never gonna tell a lie and hurt you

Rick Astley Dancing GIF

Edited by HOUSE
  • Like (+1) 1