Barnwell Predicts Ertz Will be Dealt to Bills after June 1st

I would have put this in one of the many other Ertz threads, but it appears as if they have all been locked.

Eagles trade Zach Ertz to ... Buffalo Bills

Philadelphia Eagles get: 2022 seventh-round pick, TE Tommy Sweeney

“Beane has been aggressive -- and successful -- in rehabilitating players who seemed to be struggling elsewhere over the past few years. He has also repeatedly gone after weapons for QB Josh Allen. Dealing a late-round pick and a player on the bottom of the roster in Sweeney for Ertz would give the Bills a well-regarded teammate and a player who was thought of as a premier tight end as recently as a year ago. With Ertz reducing his salary to $3.5 million as part of the deal, I love this low-risk, high-reward move for Buffalo.“

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/31468244/predicting-15-post-june-1-deadline-nfl-deals-including-julio-jones-trade-richard-sherman-signing-more

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

I would have put this in one of the many other Ertz threads, but it appears as if they have all been locked.

Eagles trade Zach Ertz to ... Buffalo Bills

Philadelphia Eagles get: 2022 seventh-round pick, TE Tommy Sweeney

“Beane has been aggressive -- and successful -- in rehabilitating players who seemed to be struggling elsewhere over the past few years. He has also repeatedly gone after weapons for QB Josh Allen. Dealing a late-round pick and a player on the bottom of the roster in Sweeney for Ertz would give the Bills a well-regarded teammate and a player who was thought of as a premier tight end as recently as a year ago. With Ertz reducing his salary to $3.5 million as part of the deal, I love this low-risk, high-reward move for Buffalo.“

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/31468244/predicting-15-post-june-1-deadline-nfl-deals-including-julio-jones-trade-richard-sherman-signing-more

They were locked because they were speculation that degraded into silliness once it was clear there was No New News.   Let's see if this can avoid a similar fate....

Do you have any info on how successful Bill Barnwell's past predictions have been?

1 minute ago, Dick_Cheney said:

I'd be entirely thrilled for this to go down, but, I'll believe it when it happens.

Pretty much where I am.

Isn't Ertz due to be released after June 1st, therefore nullifying his contract? I don't think Beane does this deal with Ertz's current contract, but if new terms can be worked out, this is a good deal all around. 

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

They were locked because they were speculation that degraded into silliness once it was clear there was No New News.   Let's see if this can avoid a similar fate....

Do you have any info on how successful Bill Barnwell's past predictions have been?

Pretty much where I am.

Yeah I understand why you locked them. I just felt this had merit because it is an ESPN writer and not some blogger or local outlet. Not sure how accurate his predictions are or if he is working from any inside information. But I will certainly leave it up to your discretion whether you think this has merit to stay open.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

Yeah I understand why you locked them. I just felt this had merit because it is an ESPN writer and not some blogger or local outlet. Not sure how accurate his predictions are or if he is working from any inside information. But I will certainly leave it up to your discretion whether you think this has merit to stay open.

I try to let the thread lead - if folks are talking reasonably football-centered reasonably on  topic, it's All Good.

I personally think Pigs will Fly first.  Spotrac is currently useless for capology (has every player's salary doubled - not just on the Bills).

OTC says $4.6M but doesn't include signing bonuses for players below the top-51 cutoff or small amounts of dead cap, so it's typically high.   Doing some calculator work my guess is that $3.6-$3.8M cap is pretty much what we got.

So even if he takes a salary cut to $3.5M, that would basically eat our cap. 

Based on past history, Beane seems to like to go into the season with some free cap in case of injuries, which I believe, historically, has been about $3.5M

Right about where we are

Myself, I think Sanders was the "aggressively pursuing new weapons for Allen" along with (to follow the gladiator gif above) duels between Hollister, Knox, and Sweeney for roster/playing time and between a bunch of WR at the lower end of the roster to make the team/see the field.

• Thank you (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Why wouldn’t we just wait until after June 1st when he’s likely cut so we can sign him for less money?

Because 30 other teams could sign him either via waivers or FA if he's cut.

• Like (+1) 3

IMO our offense is pretty darn good and probably will be even better this year with HEALTHY E Sanders , 

are we giving up on Knox ? Because I don’t see many targets going his way if will make that trade , 

IMO we NEED to upgrade our backfield just look at our division pats***. &  dolphins the TE’s and all the speed at WR that will have to deal with ,