Would Josh Allen ever consider a team friendly contract?

sirebors

No he wont take a team friendly contract his first year... He is going to get a huge contact and I think year 2 of his contract he lays back. but we see. Anything can happen. Buffalo has already done so much for him and he has already given so much for buffalo... but one thing he does not want is diminished value off the bat.

I didn't read every post in this thread so if this was mentioned already, disregard...

The thing about Mahomes contract.....is that the way it's designed...it easy for the team to convert money to signing bonus and kick the can, or restructure etc....it leaves alot of wiggle room...

This would be a case where I would wonder if the Pegulas have the kind of cash you need to be able to operate that way.  I wonder this because the Bills already don't do business in this manor.  That isn't to say that Can't.....but they don't seem to be a can kicker organization.  That's fine...I'm not being critical....Josh Allen is going to get paid one way or another....that's not in doubt...but....and don't shoot the messenger here.....but.....if the Pegulas sign him to a big deal (they will)....Allens cap hits are probably going to be what they are year to year without bonus conversion etc if the Bills continue to do things the way they do.....the cap represents more of a constraint than for others.  The upside is the you are paying the piper as you go...so there is that.

On 3/27/2021 at 12:01 PM, longtimebillsfan said:

IMHO that doesn't sound like Josh.  He is a team first guy.  He will take care if himself with an eye on helping the team.  He saw the results of Brady helping the Pat's with his salary.

***This response isn't to you specifically, just the one mindset you pointed out since I've heard it many times***

Making him out to be a villain or bad for taking what he's worth is unfair.

Implying he's not a high character or team-first guy for taking a normal deal for a QB of his talent is messed up. I think it reflects poorly on fans who are acting like he'd be doing us dirty by getting a FAIR deal. It's his job to play his best & be committed to winning. It's the organization's job to pay him what he's worth & his agent's job to figure out what Josh wants. 

If you were one of the top in your entire position, would you feel it's fair for your employer to offer you LESS money than others who don't work as hard as you? If Dak & other QB's are making $40 million per year, and the Bills came out & offer him $35 million, that makes Josh not a team-first guy if he refuses?

He is a team-first guy, he's the key to the team's success. The minute you start undervaluing a franchise QB (if that's what you believe he is), and acting like he should get paid less is the minute you find yourself back in another playoff drought. I think it'd be disrespectful to offer Josh less than everyone else & EXPECT him to take a discount...and if he doesn't, he's somehow not team-first.

Edited by BigDingus
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Team friendly does not necessarily mean less money, it could mean structuring it in ways that make it possible to create cap space in future years.  I think that will happen.  Will less money happen, I tend to doubt it.  The players have people around them to advise them against such things.  Most people will maximize their value.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

On 3/29/2021 at 9:42 PM, Zerovoltz said:

I didn't read every post in this thread so if this was mentioned already, disregard...

The thing about Mahomes contract.....is that the way it's designed...it easy for the team to convert money to signing bonus and kick the can, or restructure etc....it leaves alot of wiggle room...

This would be a case where I would wonder if the Pegulas have the kind of cash you need to be able to operate that way.  I wonder this because the Bills already don't do business in this manor.  That isn't to say that Can't.....but they don't seem to be a can kicker organization.  That's fine...I'm not being critical....Josh Allen is going to get paid one way or another....that's not in doubt...but....and don't shoot the messenger here.....but.....if the Pegulas sign him to a big deal (they will)....Allens cap hits are probably going to be what they are year to year without bonus conversion etc if the Bills continue to do things the way they do.....the cap represents more of a constraint than for others.  The upside is the you are paying the piper as you go...so there is that.

I don't see that given the NFL TV revenue projections going forward the Pegula's wouldn't be able to structure Allen's contract similarly to Mahomes.  My guess is that the Mahomes contract will serve as a template for Allen's deal.

As a franchise QB Allen is unique on the team and the Pegula's will adjust what they do in his situation as it will benefit them and the team to do so.

Small chance Josh does it but given that Mahomes has reset the market there might not be as much union pressure to set the market with his deal. I don't think he gives a steep discount but I could see Josh taking 40 million a year instead of 42.5. Not much but it is something. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, TBBills Fan said:

Josh will sign for the vet minimum for the next ten years.  I have sources.  Book it!

As awesome as this parallel universe would be, I can only imagine the players union reps needing some smelling salts after that news :thumbsup:. The Bills need to get creative a la TB12 in NE, who had multiple side business  revenue streams enabled by the Pats...

15 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

As awesome as this parallel universe would be, I can only imagine the players union reps needing some smelling salts after that news :thumbsup:. The Bills need to get creative a la TB12 in NE, who had multiple side business  revenue streams enabled by the Pats...

Are you suggesting a standard team friendly contract, with an order of fracking on the side?  :)

Were there not rumors back in Marino’s days that he had some “special investment opportunities”? I seem to recall some talk of that....

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just posted this in other thread.  It's irrelevant but I do think he will make sure it's team friendly.  

I do t care about his cap hit.  Why?   Because beane is a wizard.  1.   He will make it team friendly for year 1 and 2 like mahomes.  Then he will restructure going i to year 3 to free space for next 2 years.  

Rinse repeat.  Josh will structure to get max guarantee and be cap friendly because he wants to win. 

Trust in beane!

Edited by Hebert19

If you see Allen's agent fired then maybe... but that would possibly be the strangest most irresponsible thing he would do. He never struck it rich so you can't compare him to Brady. He's going to command every cent that he is justified.. or unjustified to make. I think you might see 37m as the starting number if anything comes out at any point.

2 hours ago, Augie said:

Are you suggesting a standard team friendly contract, with an order of fracking on the side?  :)

Were there not rumors back in Marino’s days that he had some “special investment opportunities”? I seem to recall some talk of that....

Yessir!! We’re talking about some smart sophisticated types who should be able to make it happen! 🧐 

Maybe Josh’s family farm needs a new tractor or two? 

17 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

I have sources though!  Dunkirk Don and Mykidsdad will vouch for the source as well

on a serious note, they do!  I Trust Beane, I also think Josh is a big picture guy and we all will be very happy for Josh and the team once a deal is done

Edited by TBBills Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

Josh is definitely a Buffalo Guy and I truly believe he won't hurt the team Cap wise anymore than he really needs to.  He is the MAN here in Buffalo and deserves to paid as such.  He has also had to prove everyone wrong his whole life and has earned the right to collect a big pay day.  I think him and Beane will find a number that works all around. 

• Agree 1

On 3/28/2021 at 5:45 PM, Commish said:

$35 million, $40 million, $45 million - either way you slice it, it's more money than most people would know what to do with. A lot of the one upsmanship that goes on with contracts with professional athletes strikes me as being rooted in large part in insecurity on the part of the player. Josh Allen does not strike me as insecure in any way - and he loves to win. Hometown discount? Depends how you define it - I could see Allen striking a team-friendly deal.

Big Ben has done this now for 15+ years for the Steelers and kept them competitive during that period

• 2 months later...
On 1/19/2021 at 3:35 PM, Mr. WEO said:

Why would any top player on his second contract take a "home town discount"???

This makes no sense at all.

Hmmmmmm.....   Lotsa crow to be eaten... 

Bills’ Josh Allen willing to structure extension to help team stay competitive (report)
https://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/2021/06/bills-josh-allen-willing-to-structure-extension-to-help-team-stay-competitive-report.html

Report: Josh Allen Willing to Help Bills 'a Little Bit' in New Contract; 'Loves' BUF | Bleacher Report | Latest News, Videos and Highlights
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10006247-report-josh-allen-willing-to-help-bills-a-little-bit-in-new-contract-loves-buf

7 minutes ago, sirebors said:

Bills’ Josh Allen willing to structure extension to help team stay competitive (report)
https://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/2021/06/bills-josh-allen-willing-to-structure-extension-to-help-team-stay-competitive-report.html

Report: Josh Allen Willing to Help Bills 'a Little Bit' in New Contract; 'Loves' BUF | Bleacher Report | Latest News, Videos and Highlights
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10006247-report-josh-allen-willing-to-help-bills-a-little-bit-in-new-contract-loves-buf

How much did he sign for?

Plus, BOTH articles  you cited are based on the same report by Fowler, in which he actually says..... this:

"Certainly, he’s not going to take a discount by any stretch—he’s a top-five quarterback." 

Edited by Mr. WEO
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Plus the second article you cited actually said this:

"Certainly, he’s not going to take a discount by any stretch—he’s a top-five quarterback." 

Did you even bother to read the title of this post? 

Sirebores, he must have read the article as he just cited the last line of the article.  I read it as well, and the article is confusing as he writes on one hand news willing to structure the deal to remain competitive, but then Allen will not take a cut from market value.  The only logical inference is he’ll agree to back end a deal. That’s what I read from it.  That still gels with Weo’s point. No low end deal, just placed in a way where there is more $ Up front.

My only hope is Allen agrees to a similar deal that Mahomes took over a very long period of time.  Mahomes deal will be obsolete in five years from elite QB’s in 2026.  Mahomes still won as he has security for a decade and allows the contract people to keep converting over time to signing bonus so the team keeps finding ways to keep Kielce, buy another offensive line.

• Agree 1

Of course he would. He isn't stupid. By team friendly he means it will be structured in a way that allows the Bills the most cap freedom possible while still having guaranteed money that is competitive for his value on the open market. He isn't going to give them a discount per se but he will make sure to allow them the ability to keep as many pieces around his as possible....likely means lower salary for the first few years while the Cap is lower and back loading higher dollars as the cap explodes over the next 3-5 years as the TV revenues kick in and the COVID losses are gobbled up.

Why wouldn't he? He loves the area, loves the team, has a great relationship with the team and front office and wants to be as successful as possible long term.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Agree 1

Depends on how serious Josh is about winning a Super Bowl. Tom Brady owes a lot of his success to his frequent pay cuts and team friendly deals. If he just wants to get paid like Russell Wilson, then he'll take the biggest deal possible.

What kind of deal Josh takes will tell us a lot about his football character.

19 minutes ago, Doc said:

If he wants to keep pieces around him, he'll have to take some sort of a discount.

Not in overall money it sounds like.  Just flexibility to move things around.

4 minutes ago, Fingon said:

Depends on how serious Josh is about winning a Super Bowl. Tom Brady owes a lot of his success to his frequent pay cuts and team friendly deals. If he just wants to get paid like Russell Wilson, then he'll take the biggest deal possible.

Do you question Mahomes's football character being the highest paid QB?

And Brady was getting paid in different ways....it's the Patriot Way.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/ranking-nfls-seven-new-head-coaches-in-2021-by-ownership-front-office-roster-and-recent-history/

On 3/29/2021 at 9:42 PM, Zerovoltz said:

This would be a case where I would wonder if the Pegulas have the kind of cash you need to be able to operate that way.  I wonder this because the Bills already don't do business in this manor.  That isn't to say that Can't.....but they don't seem to be a can kicker organization.

This is more Brandon Beane’s philosophy on the salary cap then it is the Pegulas not having money. 

Maybe you’re right and it’s because they’re cash poor… but I doubt it. 

7 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Not in overall money it sounds like.  Just flexibility to move things around.

Do you question Mahomes's football character being the highest paid QB?

And Brady was getting paid in different ways....it's the Patriot Way.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/ranking-nfls-seven-new-head-coaches-in-2021-by-ownership-front-office-roster-and-recent-history/

If Mahomes doesn't renegotiate his contract to lower his cap hit in future years, then yes I question his desire to win multiple Super Bowls. History tells us that top paid QBs do not win championships, and that QBs with team friendly deals do.

7 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Plus, BOTH articles  you cited are based on the same report by Fowler, in which he actually says..... this:

Yup.  Pretty much every player who signs a large contract structures it in a team friendly way.  Large signing bonuses that prorate over the course of the deals are typical - and those are not exactly hardships on the players.  It’s a nice PR move, but in reality he wouldn't be giving anything up.

Let us see where it lands and then make our judgements.  I would not begrudge him getting paid his worth.  It’s a business for him.  I do find a lot of the “Josh is such a great guy he’ll take a big discount” crowd very funny though.  

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, sirebors said:

Those links are about him being willing to be team friendly on structure, which wasn't quite WEO's point.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, sirebors said:

structure, not take less money. Big difference

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Fingon said:

If Mahomes doesn't renegotiate his contract to lower his cap hit in future years, then yes I question his desire to win multiple Super Bowls. History tells us that top paid QBs do not win championships, and that QBs with team friendly deals do.

Well Brady was the top paid QB last year...I believe overall highest paid player. 

I'm not a capologist but you can still be the highest paid player at your position but have flexibility to move money around to save cap room for the team.

Mahomes did it this year.

25 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Well Brady was the top paid QB last year...I believe overall highest paid player. 

I'm not a capologist but you can still be the highest paid player at your position but have flexibility to move money around to save cap room for the team.

Mahomes did it this year.

Brady had the 6th highest cap hit among QBs in 2020 and is 15th this year:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/2020/cap-hit/quarterback/

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/cap-hit/quarterback/

He was even lower on total cash paid at 8th. Mahomes also has a super low cap hit because his extension hasn't even kicked in yet.

Edited by Fingon

34 minutes ago, Fingon said:

Brady had the 6th highest cap hit among QBs in 2020 and is 15th this year:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/2020/cap-hit/quarterback/

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/cap-hit/quarterback/

He was even lower on total cash paid at 8th. Mahomes also has a super low cap hit because his extension hasn't even kicked in yet.

Yes, cap hit but overall money, Brady was the highest paid player.  This is the part where I am not an expert....contracts worded where they player still keeps the money and gives relief to the cap.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/06/tom-brady-super-bowl-lvs-highest-earner.html

9 hours ago, sirebors said:

Did you even bother to read the title of this post? 

I said he wouldn't take a hometown discount.  You attempted to refute this by posting 2 articles quoting the same guy who specifically said: "certainly....he's not going to take a discount".   

I'm assuming you didn't read either article you cited.....or, as everyone above has pointed out, structuring a deal in a "team friendly" way is nothing like voluntarily taking less money to play for the Bills than he is worth on the market.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Fingon said:

NE won SB with Brady before he changed his deals.  And by taking less money, that really didn't really result in many significant weapons.  He was still winning with Gronk, some little slot receivers and JAG RBs.