Would Josh Allen ever consider a team friendly contract?

sirebors

3 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

You should write him a letter and ask him. You will probably get the same response I get from women when I ask them out, which is a "No" or "maybe....I'll let you know" and then you won't hear from him again 

That cracked me up, lol. 

The NFLPA really frowns on players taking less than market value because, in theory, it can depress other players' salaries moving forward. So even if he wanted to do it, he will be pressured into taking something within maybe 5-10% of Mahomes.

It also makes sense for a professional football player to get as much money as quickly as possible in case of career ending injury.

So, Josh will get an enormous contract, but once he has a couple of years to fill his mattress with money, he seems like the kind of guy who would restructure to help the team. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Freak-O said:

If it meant more of my mates could still work there and the workplace being more enjoyable (like winning more games) and I was making more money than I could ever spend in a hundred years, then yes, I most definitely would.

I think it's a matter of degree. It's true that the difference between $175M guaranteed and $100M guaranteed is not particularly significant in terms of lifestyle. (I am ignoring non-guaranteed money because one career-ending injury and you never see it). However, the fact that other players actually hate you for taking well below your market value would be a significant factor. Certainly the enjoyable workplace factor weighs in somewhat, but not to the degree of taking massively less. The more the organization is committed to winning, I think a slight discount applies. 

7 minutes ago, HalftimeAdjustment said:

Several factors there:

- As a national figure, Brady could expect to get more money from endorsement deals with continued success. In my opinion, Josh Allen is going to face some commercial limitations while playing in Buffalo even if he were to win Superbowl MVP (and maybe also outside of Buffalo).

- There may have been reasons Brady considered other options to be EXTREMELY undesirable. It's no secret, for example, that some players may sign for a bit less with a winning organization vs a losing organization. 

- It wasn't his second contract, was it? I believe he was already quite wealthy. Josh Allen is coming off of his first rookie contract and needs to make $$$ on his next contract to guarantee maximum earnings (in case of injury). Waiting to get paid later is almost always a bad move. 

He will be extremely wealthy regardless. I mean seriously, when is enough enough? If you just won Powerball for 350 million you'd be pretty happy and pretty wealthy. Would you be mad you didn't win 400 or 450 million? 

1 minute ago, sirebors said:

I don't know if I entirety believe this. They say they want everyone to get paid, but they want to get paid too. There's only so much to go around. And I don't believe that other players wouldn't want to play here if Josh Allen willingly took less money in order to give more to his teammates. I think they would respect him more. It's not the team that's cheap. They're still paying to the salary cap, it's just one players decision to drop his overall cap percentage to the benefit of his teammates and friends. 

Brady also didn’t start taking team friendly deals until after his second contract ended. Brady has made more money than anyone else ever besides Brees, and after next year (assuming he plays and Brees retires) he will have made more money than any player ever. So if Josh wants to start taking team friendly deals towards the end of his second contract then do it...but don’t expect him to take less now “for the good of the team.” Leave that up to the GM and the front office, that’s their job to make the money work 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, skibum said:

The NFLPA really frowns on players taking less than market value because, in theory, it can depress other players' salaries moving forward. So even if he wanted to do it, he will be pressured into taking something within maybe 5-10% of Mahomes.

It also makes sense for a professional football player to get as much money as quickly as possible in case of career ending injury.

So, Josh will get an enormous contract, but once he has a couple of years to fill his mattress with money, he seems like the kind of guy who would restructure to help the team. 

Eh, they need to rethink the salary cap and how quarterbacks are factored in. 

Not only would he, but I expect him to. Allen gets it. He knows that in order to win consistently you need to spread the money around. It’s what Brady did. Plus, he’s the type of guy that would bet on himself and know that as long he works hard and doesn’t get hurt, he will have lots of time to make all the money that he’s worth. 

• Agree 1

Just now, whorlnut said:

Not only would he, but I expect him to. Allen gets it. He knows that in order to win consistently you need to spread the money around. It’s what Brady did. Plus, he’s the type of guy that would bet on himself and know that as long he works hard and doesn’t get hurt, he will have lots of time to make all the money that he’s worth. 

Brady didn't start taking discounts until like his 3rd contract, and Gisele is worth way more than he is anyway.  The exception proves the rule.  Allen will get paid like a top 2 QB and he'll deserve every penny.  The NFL chews players up and spits them out without a second thought, players should always get as much money as possible in contract negotiations.  That said, teams should be smart enough to not structure it horribly so they hamstring themselves like the Eagles did with Wentz.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, sirebors said:

He will be extremely wealthy regardless. I mean seriously, when is enough enough? If you just won Powerball for 350 million you'd be pretty happy and pretty wealthy. Would you be mad you didn't win 400 or 450 million? 

No, but that is a case where the money is just coming out of nowhere, that I did nothing to earn, and is not directly related to my contributions to a for-profit corporation. Playing Powerball also does not put my personal health at risk; I put down $2 a ticket and anything I win is just gravy, whether it is $5, $5000, $1M, or $350M.

I understand your viewpoint, I just think it is not one that is shared by very many professional athletes. There is of course, some wiggle room especially with the "non-guaranteed" money and later years.

4 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

Brady also didn’t start taking team friendly deals until after his second contract ended. Brady has made more money than anyone else ever besides Brees, and after next year (assuming he plays and Brees retires) he will have made more money than any player ever. So if Josh wants to start taking team friendly deals towards the end of his second contract then do it...but don’t expect him to take less now “for the good of the team.” Leave that up to the GM and the front office, that’s their job to make the money work 

Um, Brady is currently the 11th longest tenured player in history. 

He is a Quarterback, the position that earns the highest salary on the team. 8 of the other players were kickers. One was Jerry Rice. One was George Blanda. And one was Brett Favre. Those other players played when the salaries were far lower. The comparison is hardly equal. 

9 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

This is exactly my thinking. 

Um, Brady is currently the 11th longest tenured player in history. 

He is a Quarterback, the position that earns the highest salary on the team. 8 of the other players were kickers. One was Jerry Rice. One was George Blanda. And one was Brett Favre. Those other players played when the salaries were far lower. The comparison is hardly equal. 

And the rest of the things I said?? Or are you just going to conveniently ignore those parts? 

1 minute ago, Ya Digg? said:

And the rest of the things I said?? Or are you just going to conveniently ignore those parts? 

I understood and agreed with the rest. I didn't think I had to respond, lol. I'm not trying to be confrontational. I realize we finally have a franchise QB and should and will pay him what he's worth or what he wants. I know the Bills and Beane will do everything in their power to have Allen retire as a Bill. My question is whether or not Josh, of his own volition would agree to take less for the benefit of the franchise. 

Nobody is dumb enough to take a lower deal with their first real contract. 

The rookie deal is nice, it’s big money. 
The second contract is LIFE CHANGING. This is the deal that sets him for life. Why on earth would he take less when injuries destroy careers and the team ain’t paying all that money out? 
After you’ve made monster money you can consider taking less. Mahomes probably makes more than Allen this year in endorsements and he still got an insane contract. 

• Like (+1) 1

If he wins the super bowl give him a billion dollar contract for all I care. Take up 70% of the cap cuz then I could die a happy man. But seriously no I don’t expect him to take a team friendly deal. Give him his money. He deserves it. 

I understood and agreed with the rest. I didn't think I had to respond, lol. I'm not trying to be confrontational. I realize we finally have a franchise QB and should and will pay him what he's worth or what he wants. I know the Bills and Beane will do everything in their power to have Allen retire as a Bill. My question is whether or not Josh, of his own volition would agree to take less for the benefit of the franchise. 

It's also not clear we'll ever know the answer. The negotiation isn't going to be a situation where the Bills offer Josh Allen a contract and he says no, pay me less. It is absolutely conceivable that he will accept an offer made at a reasonably competitive figure rather than ask to maximize every dollar possible. So it's "less" than he might theoretically be able to scrape out if the agent plays super-hardball. In my view, that is realistic. I do not think it is realistic to have him come out of this where he's playing like a top 5 QB but getting paid like the 10th or 15th-highest paid QB.