We Should Enjoy The Brian Daboll Era While We Can

Irv

I don’t think it’s a guarantee he’s gone. He’s going to interview at some places but there’s some decent candidates this year. I don’t think he’s a shoe in for any of these jobs. 
I think he’ll be a much better head coach than coordinator honestly. He’s been pretty flawless this year but I suspect he’s gonna be a great leader.

5 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

This the same Daboll we wanted to run out of town last year?  Myself included at times.

If we ran everyone out of town that has been suggested by the usual positive posters in this forum, the Bills playoff drought would last 50 years.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

Hopefully they'll be weary of hiring another offensive coordinator from the bills

Whoever takes over developing Herbert, will be getting a Josh Allen type qb. I don't know what it would take to keep Daboll in Buffalo but hopefully Terry & Kim try.

2 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

The last 3/4 of this season I agree, but man he’s been mediocre the other 3.25 seasons here.

Ken Dorsey is the guy we cannot lose

I would dispute this. 

This is Daboll’s O and he calls the plays, not KD. The reason it took so long to get going is Josh being young, lack of weapons, lack of line, etc. 

He did what he could with what he had, player-wise. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Wish Daboll well. But make no mistake, this is Josh Allen’s offense now and it will be a seamless transition to Ken Dorsey as the new OC. 

We'd definitely still be good but Daboll has shown some serious gametime adjustment chops.

We can only hope he’s greedy and demands to much money... and then Terry and Kim pay him....

1 minute ago, Warcodered said:

We'd definitely still be good but Daboll has shown some serious gametime adjustment chops.

I appreciate this fully. Daboll has done a great job in that regard. But I suspect it will be a seamless transition regardless. How many of Brady’s former OC’s became HCs while he was in NE***, three? It’s the same situation with Allen. It’s his offense now. 

I have had hot and cold moments with BD over his time here in Buffalo, including times early in the season.  

But I will say this, once Josh Allen got healthy again and took that shoulder brace off until now, Daboll has been sensational.  There were times early in the season where I got frustrated with Daboll's decisions, but ultimately once this team got healthy and fully gelled, Daboll has really just been sensational.  

I really do want him back, and I do think there is still a legit chance he could still be back.  He seems to truly love Buffalo and he clearly loves Allen like a son, he has said so himself.  

Everyone assumed McDaniels would bolt for all these jobs he had shots at too and decided to stay in NE longer rather than go back into a HC gig.  Daboll has been around a lot of good coaches who went to HC and bombed and lost their jobs.  He has a really good thing here in Buffalo, both him and his family seem to truly love being here.  And while I have no doubt he will eventually take a HC gig, I am not so sure he is ready to leave just yet unless it was the perfect job.

The only two openings I can see even really being appealing to him would be Chargers and Jags strictly on the fact that Herbert is in place and Jags will get Trevor.  But overall, Jags have sucked as an organization, so he may not be interested in going to a poorly run organization with a marginal fan base and roster. 

Hope he stays, wont be surprised if he leaves for a HC job, but also don't think its a sure thing.  I will say this...if Bills win the SB, then I think its more probable he leaves, and if they dont get the SB this year, I think it increases the chances he could come back for another run for it next year.  

23 minutes ago, Bferra13 said:

You're on a roll making terrible posts today Irv. This and your 17 v 12 thread. Save this isht for the off-season. Enjoy the ride man. 

Have another. 

3 minutes ago, Hampton Josh fan said:

I can't believe anyone could be that good. Unfortunately for him only 2 or 3 QBs could make those plays work consistently, one of them being the freak in Buffalo. 

This is definitely a factor.  Coach Diabolical dials up plays which are only successful with Josh Allen and some of the other players Bills have.  

It took a while for him to get all of his toys up to speed and many GMs will not be as patient.

In addition since many head coaches will be filled before he is available he will lose opportunities on coaches for his staff.

We will see how many new head coaches are needed on Murder Monday.

This is the disadvantage many playoff coaches have in getting head coach position and creating a staff.

I think biggest worry is him getting HC position and getting Dorsey to follow him as OC on new team.

One advantage Daboll has is he has some (not a lot) defense coach experience.

Daboll has shown that if he's NOT given great players, he struggles (ref: last year), but when he gets great players to work with, he's extremely creative and has a lot of fun.

So pay him, Pegulas, and convince him he's never going to get a situation more fun that this one, where he can live hear his grandparents and be loved by the community he grew up in, and continue to win because ALL the Bills' key offensive players are still growing into their prime.  Well, except Diggs, whom we shouldn't reasonably expect to get any better than he already is.

I learned in my own career, years ago, that if you go chasing prestigious job titles, you're going to struggle.  If you find and take jobs that you find interesting, challenging, rewarding, and important, you'll be more motivated and more challenged and more satisfied.  I hope Daboll feels the same way.