Wentz appears to be on his way out of Philly - Healthy scratch today

Draconator

23 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Isn't Gase reputed to be a 'QB whisperer'?  Maybe he can sign on with Wentz as a 'package deal'! 😁

Yes as long as the QB is named Peyton Manning. I'll even go out on a limb and state we could have seen similar results with Ely Manning, that's how good Gase is!!

Hell I'll even throw in Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees!

I had read that the salary cap hit for the Eagles would be HUMOUGOUS. So much so, it's much better for them to keep me around as #2 at least next year than to have so much dead cap hit for nothing. Other dude is rookie so could turn out to be bad, or get injured, etc.

Being inactive and cutting him are two different things.  If they do cut him, Philly is going to struggle to be competitive for the next two years because of the MASSIVE dead cap hit.   

Then again, with the NFC East being a mess, they may be division champs a year from now

2 minutes ago, Back the Blue said:

Being inactive and cutting him are two different things.  If they do cut him, Philly is going to struggle to be competitive for the next two years because of the MASSIVE dead cap hit.   

Then again, with the NFC East being a mess, they may be division champs a year from now

They save cap space by trading him next year.

I will say this.....Wentz isn't as bad as the Philly O is bad.  Not ONE week of O-Line consistency.....let that sink in.  NOT one consecutive week of the O-line being the same the following week.  Very few if ANY QB could overcome that.  Even the new dude is getting pressure and he is MUCH more mobile than Wentz.

All that being said - he is going to be a tough chess piece to move for Philly.  NFL being the way it is I am sure that it is possible....probable?  Not likely.

So glad the Bills have JA!!!

GO BILLS!!!

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Kwai San said:

I will say this.....Wentz isn't as bad as the Philly O is bad.  Not ONE week of O-Line consistency.....let that sink in.  NOT one consecutive week of the O-line being the same the following week.  Very few if ANY QB could overcome that.  Even the new dude is getting pressure and he is MUCH more mobile than Wentz.

All that being said - he is going to be a tough chess piece to move for Philly.  NFL being the way it is I am sure that it is possible....probable?  Not likely.

So glad the Bills have JA!!!

GO BILLS!!!

Great point re their O Line.   If the Bills O Line fell apart as badly as Philly's did, Bills fans would be screaming for the QB and HCs heads as well.  No OLine, no offense in the NFL.   No way to recover from a decimated OLine.  

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Back the Blue said:

The NFC East better not hope Alabama seeks entry as a fifth team?! 🤔

😁

Wentz suffered some bad injuries at the worst possible time. Year 2 was a legitimate MVP campaign cut short, but they went through the playoffs and won it all without him. Next year, didn’t start with him, didn’t finish with him, still made the playoffs. Since then I think Wentz has had a lot of mental struggles. Don’t know if he is scared of getting hurt again or what, but he looks bad. His pocket presence, his accuracy, etc. Can’t speak to his leadership on the field at this point but something just isn’t right. I was shocked the Eagles gave him that contract when they did. They could have let the rookie deal play out.

14 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

Great point re their O Line.   If the Bills O Line fell apart as badly as Philly's did, Bills fans would be screaming for the QB and HCs heads as well.  No OLine, no offense in the NFL.   No way to recover from a decimated OLine.  

I actually feel sorry for Wentz with respect to the dismal O-Line situation......BUT he creates his own issues too by holding the ball FOREVER!

29 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Who is going to trade for that contract? Nobody is that crazy now that bob left Houston. 

may they can do a Osweiller type of trade.

Trade Wentz and a 2nd round pick to some team whith a lot a cap space.

• Like (+1) 1

Someone smarter with cap stuff needs to chime in here to explain how Philly can move Wentz at all.

I understand it would be easier to trade him than cut him, but what does Philly get stuck with in a trade?

4 minutes ago, Kwai San said:

I actually feel sorry for Wentz with respect to the dismal O-Line situation......BUT he creates his own issues too by holding the ball FOREVER!

Dude has $107M guaranteed coming his way. Dont feel too sorry for him.

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Real McNasty said:

Wentz contract and dead cap $ is insane. Philly is screwed for a long while now. 

Yeah. It’s brutal and they’re in an extraordinarily bad cap situation otherwise.  All for a terrible season.  At least the Saints are making a run. 

7 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Someone smarter with cap stuff needs to chime in here to explain how Philly can move Wentz at all.

I understand it would be easier to trade him than cut him, but what does Philly get stuck with in a trade?

Dude has $107M guaranteed coming his way. Dont feel too sorry for him.

True that BUT - even tho he has $$$$ he stills wants to win....

7 hours ago, Big C said:

Wentz suffered some bad injuries at the worst possible time. Year 2 was a legitimate MVP campaign cut short, but they went through the playoffs and won it all without him. Next year, didn’t start with him, didn’t finish with him, still made the playoffs. Since then I think Wentz has had a lot of mental struggles. Don’t know if he is scared of getting hurt again or what, but he looks bad. His pocket presence, his accuracy, etc. Can’t speak to his leadership on the field at this point but something just isn’t right. I was shocked the Eagles gave him that contract when they did. They could have let the rookie deal play out.

From what I've read, his leadership and locker room presence has always been questionable. 

1 minute ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Didn’t think he processed info fast enough to be a good NFL QB, but Hurts actually looks pretty good.  

Hurts doesn't look much better than Wentz other than the fact that he can move around. The offense around the QBs has been pretty terrible all year, though. 

It makes sense for Wentz to ask out at this point, though. 

They have $34MM guaranteed to him next year and trading or cutting him would be a $59MM cap hit.. it hurts less to pay him to stay home than it does to let him go. After next year they can be out for a $24MM cap hit.  The only way to do something is a huge contract rework.  They would have to convert next years salary and roster bonus to signing bonus, so while they would have to pay him out $25MM immediately, they would be able to defer the cap hit by dividing the guarantees up over 2 years by then designating him a Post June 1st cut.  So while they would still take a huge hit, it would be more “manageable”.   It really depends on how desperate they are to get him out of there.