49ers sign Josh Rosen

45 minutes ago, KellyToTasker said:

I said your latter the other day at work. My Alabama, Roll Tide buddy asked, “So, you must be pretty happy with Allen?”

I followed with, “I love him.” It came out fast, felt right. 

Straight faced, to the point of shock, he goes, “You, what? Did you say that you love him?”

(Awkward silence)

Me: “Yeah.”

"I love you Josh Allen"- Cole Beasley voice 

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Buffalo Junction said:

At this rate he might pass Fitzpatrick before Allen signs an extension, and he’s got an outside chance to pass Brandon Marshall. 

He might pass Fitz in teams.  He won’t pass him  in games started, passes completed, yards, percent complete, or TDs.  

Edited by Bob in STL
  • Like (+1) 3

I give Rosen credit for swallowing his pride and going all year on P.S.  Watching Brady work could be changing for him.  I dont see how Rosen doesnt rise about Mullens and Befurd.  I think he could resurrect his career with Shanahan.  Makes 49ers 100% more interesting the last 2 weeks.

1 hour ago, Mat68 said:

I give Rosen credit for swallowing his pride and going all year on P.S.  Watching Brady work could be changing for him.  I dont see how Rosen doesnt rise about Mullens and Befurd.  I think he could resurrect his career with Shanahan.  Makes 49ers 100% more interesting the last 2 weeks.

Anybody else reminded how Anakin Skywalker was seduced by the Dark Side? 🤔

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

He was my #2 after Allen. Tampa didn’t cut him so it’s a bit misleading to say 4 teams in three years. SF signed him away from the Bucs to their active roster. Even now I still think he has a better chance of succeeding than Darnold. In the right QB friendly system maybe he can be a capable starter. Very unlikely at this point but SF is an interesting landing spot.

3 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

He was my #2 after Allen. Tampa didn’t cut him so it’s a bit misleading to say 4 teams in three years. SF signed him away from the Bucs to their active roster. Even now I still think he has a better chance of succeeding than Darnold. In the right QB friendly system maybe he can be a capable starter. Very unlikely at this point but SF is an interesting landing spot.

Yeah, I don’t think we know for sure yet whether Rosen can play.  We pretty well know Darnold can’t, and SF (or wherever that team is now) is a place he might be able to succeed.  I mean, why not throw him out there instead of Mullins or the other bum?

16 hours ago, KellyToTasker said:

I said your latter the other day at work. My Alabama, Roll Tide buddy asked, “So, you must be pretty happy with Allen?”

I followed with, “I love him.” It came out fast, felt right. 

Straight faced, to the point of shock, he goes, “You, what? Did you say that you love him?”

(Awkward silence)

Me: “Yeah.”

Hahaha- I’ve done it too!

19 hours ago, NickelCity said:

I remember begging the Bills to take Rosen (on the assumption that Darnold and Mayfield were gone). Lol, what an idiot I was.

I'm sorry JA iloveyousomuch 

One of my worst takes ever was that the Bills should have taken Lamar or Rosen. I am glad I am not the one making the decisions for the franchise. But once the Bills made the selection within 2 days I saw why and I was on board. So it was more so a matter of being ill-informed. 

7 hours ago, mannc said:

Yeah, I don’t think we know for sure yet whether Rosen can play.  We pretty well know Darnold can’t, and SF (or wherever that team is now) is a place he might be able to succeed.  I mean, why not throw him out there instead of Mullins or the other bum?

Agree that we don’t know if rosen of play. I don’t think we know whether Darnold can play or not.  I take it that you don’t think he can be a good qb in any system? 

if the jets don’t get Lawrence, I think they keep Darnold and trade down to accumulate more picks.  If the new coach wants to start fresh, I think Darnold is a perfect fit in Indy or might replace rosen in SF.  

Could never understand the Rosen love coming out.  His film showed a statue in the pocket, who had poor lateral movement.  He held the ball way too long and for some reason had ton of passes batted at the line of scrimmage.  Also wasn't a fan of his arm strength or accuracy.   Man did people love his mechanics though!

Who knows, maybe in the 49ers quick passing attack he can salvage what is left of his career.  

25 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

One of my worst takes ever was that the Bills should have taken Lamar or Rosen. I am glad I am not the one making the decisions for the franchise. But once the Bills made the selection within 2 days I saw why and I was on board. So it was more so a matter of being ill-informed. 

Look, the most seasoned scouts get it wrong much if the time. It happens. But I much prefer an admission of a mistake after the fact, that someone who takes credit for a correct prediction in hindsight. 

• Like (+1) 2

14 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

He might pass Fitz in teams.  He won’t pass him  in games started, passes completed, yards, percent complete, or TDs.  

Do you remember the first game Fitz played in the NFL?  2005 against Houston.  Thought you might.

For those unfamiliar, it really encapsulated the whole "Ryan Fitzpatrick Experience".  Came in as an injury replacement 2nd Q for the Ram's 2nd string QB Jamie Martin.  By the half, Rams were trailing Houston 24-3.

Started the 2nd half with a trademark Fitzpatrick pick on the Houston 30 - followed by a forced fumble by a WR and recovery by the Rams - resulting in a 9 yd gain.  3 plays later, TD Rams and an overtime Rams victory 33-27.  David Carr and Houston were sitting there holding their butts saying "What The Hell Just Happened To Us?"

I certainly haven't watched many games Rosen played, but I've never heard of any game where "wrong Josh" has that "play like his ass is on fire and get the whole team believing that Anything Is Possible" impact on the game.

With Josh, we saw it in his 2nd start.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

I would think that the best Shanahan to get any performance out of the 'massive Rosen ego' would be THIS Shanahan ⬇️
image.jpeg.87d1c80ea1ff6f2969e3a92b90b8d70e.jpeg

The Lobster.  

When there were rumors that Mike Shanahan might be returning to the Raiders a few years ago Jim Rome was mocking the rumors with the ghost of Al Davis telling his son "Mark, this is your father.  Do not hire the lobster"  

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, K-9 said:

Look, the most seasoned scouts get it wrong much if the time. It happens. But I much prefer an admission of a mistake after the fact, that someone who takes credit for a correct prediction in hindsight. 

I was on the Josh hype train within weeks if I remember properly haha if not days. I was very high on Lamar more so than others on this board and that one pre draft analysis appears good so far. I just read so much about Josh's accuracy and how it's so hard to improve accuracy in the pros. 

But as Mel Kiper Jr said that's just lazy scouting. Kiper who was a big Josh guy was on board with Josh because he understood why he was inaccurate and how that could be fixed at the pro level. 

Somewhat different situation here as he was signed off from someone else’s practice squad rather than cut. Meaning the Bucs didn’t necessarily want him gone.

Be interesting to see what Shannahan can do with him. He’s a really good coach who maximized what could be done with Jimmy GQ and Mullens. 

Rosen has arm talent and he’s highly intelligent. I question if he really loves football and is willing to put in the extra work like you see from Josh Allen.  Was basically the word coming out of UCLA. His worldview is a lot bigger than football and he’s got a lot of public/social interests from going to a school like UCLA.  That’s sort of what you like to see from a college kid, but as an NFL QB, you probably want to see him be more passion about being great at football than being passionate about world matters.

That really might be what keeps him from making it in the league, on top of having no lower body athleticism. Not meant as a criticism either 

Edited by appoo
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, appoo said:

Somewhat different situation here as he was signed off from someone else’s practice squad rather than cut. Meaning the Bucs didn’t necessarily want him gone.

Be interesting to see what Shannahan can do with him. He’s a really good coach who maximized what could be done with Jimmy GQ and Mullens. 

Rosen has arm talent and he’s highly intelligent. I question if he really loves football and is willing to put in the extra work like you see from Josh Allen.  Was basically the word coming out of UCLA. His worldview is a lot bigger than football and he’s got a lot of public/social interests from going to a school like UCLA.  That’s sort of what you like to see from a college kid, but as an NFL QB, you probably want to see him be more passion about being great at football than being passionate about world matters.

That really might be what keeps him from making it in the league, on top of having no lower body athleticism. Not meant as a criticism either 

Well if they thought much of him, they'd have elevated him to the 53-man roster.  The guys in front of him are Blaine Gabbert and Ryan Griffin.

9 hours ago, appoo said:

TBH, and this is where I went wrong in the lead up to the 2018 draft....I think what keeps Josh Rosen from making it in the league is basically, coming across as a douche.   He thinks he's intelligent and knows it, to the point where his thoughts are a problem.

I forget now who it was, but being asked to explain or justify the Rosen-dissing, one of our regulars offered this explanation.  He just assumes he's the smartest guy in the room.  If you asked beforehand, which of the QB class would have the highest score on the Wonderlic, Josh Rosen would assume he'd be that guy.  Told that his good Wonderlic score of 29 was a distant second to Josh Allen's score of 37, he'd immediately have a bunch of justifications why the score doesn't reflect his true scope of intelligence.  Which it probably doesn't, but that's not the point - when you're faced with news that something cleaned your clock, the right answer is along the lines of "Wow, great result for Allen!  Big Brain!"

The same affect that made me listen to him and say to myself "man, if I have to hear that in postgame pressers I'll be diving for the off button by the 3rd game of the season and my friends will be asking "what took you so long?" probably works on his teammates too.

All that said, I think Rosen is probably a good-hearted guy who would be the kind of friend that comes through for people in the clutch.  He's just the one that takes you by surprise when he does it because you don't expect it from how he normally behaves, if any of you recognize that from your friend groups.

21 hours ago, NewEra said:

Agree that we don’t know if rosen of play. I don’t think we know whether Darnold can play or not.  I take it that you don’t think he can be a good qb in any system? 

if the jets don’t get Lawrence, I think they keep Darnold and trade down to accumulate more picks.  If the new coach wants to start fresh, I think Darnold is a perfect fit in Indy or might replace rosen in SF.  

No, i don’t think Darnold can play, but I won’t say it’s impossible for him to become a decent starting QB in the league eventually.  

I kinda doubt there will be much of a market for the 2nd overall pick once Lawrence is gone.  Fields seems to be fading a bit as a prospect, but on the other hand, there are going to be a ton of QB-needy teams this year, so who knows..

52 minutes ago, mannc said:

No, i don’t think Darnold can play, but I won’t say it’s impossible for him to become a decent starting QB in the league eventually.  

I kinda doubt there will be much of a market for the 2nd overall pick once Lawrence is gone.  Fields seems to be fading a bit as a prospect, but on the other hand, there are going to be a ton of QB-needy teams this year, so who knows..

he certainly can’t play right now.  Not many QBs would be able to succeed with that team, culture and HC.  Tannehill left Gase and has become a very good qb.  Not elite, but certainly good enough to lead the right team to a title imo.  

regarding this draft, Lawrence goes one.  
There are 5 other other QBs that are being projected as possible first rd picks.  All it takes is one team to fall in love with one prospect for that #2 pick to get a ransom.  
i think Zach Wilson might end up being that QB.  Eager to see how much weight he can gain from now until the combine or whatever that may have this year.  

6 minutes ago, NewEra said:

he certainly can’t play right now.  Not many QBs would be able to succeed with that team, culture and HC.  Tannehill left Gase and has become a very good qb.  Not elite, but certainly good enough to lead the right team to a title imo.  

regarding this draft, Lawrence goes one.  
There are 5 other other QBs that are being projected as possible first rd picks.  All it takes is one team to fall in love with one prospect for that #2 pick to get a ransom.  
i think Zach Wilson might end up being that QB.  Eager to see how much weight he can gain from now until the combine or whatever that may have this year.  

It will be a QB at #2 whether that is the Jets or a team trading up. Book it. 

I am less confident on which QB it will be at #2 but a gun to my head right now I'd probably say Trey Lance. 

• Like (+1) 1