A Few Thoughts About the Broncos Game, in no particular order

Virgil

I love Gilliam. I think he will end up being one of those really, solid players that makes the plays you don't see. Amazing pick.

McDermott is what gives me confidence that even if the Bills coaching staff gets raided this offseason, it won't torpedo them the way I think it did the Eagles. I've always contended that one of the most important things, if not the most important, is his ability to hire coaches. I have confidence that he can replace the guys that go on to bigger roles on other teams. 

• Like (+1) 1

Good recap. on the negative the penalties bothered me. I read on a Chiefs site that the Ref crew in Denver is notorious for throwing flags on TD plays and calling them back.  it’s a BS crew and hopefully they don’t work a Bills playoff game. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

You didn't miss the mark, Virg.  You were spot on.  Great write up as usual.  Thanks for that.  In all my 67 years, and with great respect for the team of the 90's, this is my favorite Bills team.  No egos.  No braggadocio.  Just work hard.  Improve.  Play the game.   Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 5

2 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Good recap. on the negative the penalties bothered me. I read on a Chiefs site that the Ref crew in Denver is notorious for throwing flags on TD plays and calling them back.  it’s a BS crew and hopefully they don’t work a Bills playoff game. 

I had notes to write about it and Allen’s comment about “how many times do we need to score?” was perfect.  I just didn’t want to kill the mood.  

Even Mahomes had a tweet about it, which also shows he’s paying attention to the Bills....

• Like (+1) 9

2 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

this is my favorite Bills team.  No egos.  No braggadocio. 

I hadn't considered it but you are right. There were some rocky moments with the "bickering Bills" I tend to forget with my rose colored hindsight glasses. We have seen none of that with this team yet and I hope we never do.

• Like (+1) 2

This game was never in doubt from the opening kickoff in my mind. The offense simply looks unstoppable at times and rolled up over 500 yards on a decent Denver defense and literally could have probably had 60 points if not for the 3 TDs that got taken off the board with penalties and being stopped on 4th down at the 3 yard line.

The defense is back to looking like they did last year. Lock had under 100 yards passing until mid 4th quarter and they held the Denver running game in check until garbage time when they traded 5 and 6 yard runs for time off the clock.  2nd game in a row with a defensive TD after having none before the previous week since 2017.

This team is just so freaking good, I am not sure if we should be scared of anybody and that includes KC. The D was nowhere near what it is now the last time we played them and the offense continues to improve putting up another huge day even without Brown.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I had notes to write about it and Allen’s comment about “how many times do we need to score?” was perfect.  I just didn’t want to kill the mood.  

Even Mahomes had a tweet about it, which also shows he’s paying attention to the Bills....

Rather than kill the mood, we could add to the mood. We have done this against a pretty darn good schedule! I’m not sure how we rank as a team vs opponents over .500, but the last I saw it was pretty strong. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

You didn't miss the mark, Virg.  You were spot on.  Great write up as usual.  Thanks for that.  In all my 67 years, and with great respect for the team of the 90's, this is my favorite Bills team.  No egos.  No braggadocio.  Just work hard.  Improve.  Play the game.   Go Bills!

The common thing between the 90s team and today's team -   great HC.

The difference between the 90s team and today's team -  The HC not taking the pedal of the gas. 

I hope that makes the difference between going to the SB and winning the SB

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Coastie said:

I hadn't considered it but you are right. There were some rocky moments with the "bickering Bills" I tend to forget with my rose colored hindsight glasses. We have seen none of that with this team yet and I hope we never do.

No doubt. Those guys were fun to watch play ball but there were some genuine asshats in that locker room.

I don't see any of that with this crew.

I've been on a few ball teams and I typically don't get caught up in the starry-eyed hand-holding at a distance, but there is absolutely something very unique and genuine going on in that locker room. I hope those boys are appreciating it because it's a rare and wonderful experience.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Augie said:

Rather than kill the mood, we could add to the mood. We have done this against a pretty darn good schedule! I’m not sure how we rank as a team vs opponents over .500, but the last I saw it was pretty strong. 

this.

When this season started, no one thought we would go 3-1 that could be 4-0 if not for hail Murray against the super strong NFC West.  Everyone thought this was a 9-7 win team with the tough schedule.

23 minutes ago, Virgil said:

The Broncos showed a defensive back blitz from the guy covering Beasley in the slot.  Allen had 20+ seconds on the play clock to fake some snaps and see what the defense was looking to do.  Josh recognized the blitz, audibled the play, and snapped the ball.  On the play, he faked the throw to Beasley, waited for the middle zone linebacker to jump inside, then he actually threw the ball a half second later to the outside of the linebacker for a 20 yards gain over the middle.  This one play shows just how much the game has slowed down for Allen and how far he's come.

I said this in the game thread too, the mental game has caught up to the physical game for Allen. He's out there calling his own plays and audibles. I used to be really annoyed with all the hard counts we do, seems like it was giving us more false starts than actually getting the defense to jump Offside. But now I see the purpose behind it. Allen is using those moments to see what the defense is going to do so he can counter it and he's executing brilliantly.

I think part of the reason Allen is so successful is he has the same mindset about the game that the most passionate fans have. I could tell at the end of the game he wanted to keep running up the score. Most other QBs in that situation are fine to hand off the ball or throw check downs but Allen keeps gunning it like they're dowm 21 points. He said in his post game interview that the deep pass to Diggs was his play call, not Daboll's. Give me a QB with that attitude and that arm over anyone else in the league.

• Like (+1) 9

2 minutes ago, Simon said:

No doubt. Those guys were fun to watch play ball but there were some genuine asshats in that locker room.

I don't see any of that with this crew.

I've been on a few ball teams and I typically don't get caught up in the starry-eyed hand-holding at a distance, but there is absolutely something very unique and genuine going on in that locker room. I hope those boys are appreciating it because it's a rare and wonderful experience.

It dates back to some great moments at the end of Kyle Williams career. Impressive that it's spanned a number of years.

2 minutes ago, ganesh said:

The difference between the 90s team and today's team -  The HC not taking the pedal of the gas. 

I hope that makes the difference between going to the SB and winning the SB

My one criticism of Levi is he thought players should be self motivators.  Self motivation is important, but everyone needs that extra from someone outside of themselves to push them further...especially in those darker moments.

16 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Even reffered to Josh as the man,

I'm just saying...

2 minutes ago, ganesh said:

They also don’t employ a defensive philosophy that allows the other team to dictate the game to them and wastes the talents of the defensive players and the efforts of the offense. Wade as the DC at the height of the K-gun instead of Walt Corey’s BS “read and react” and I think the Bills history would look a bit different. Let’s hope this group rights that wrong. 

36 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Anyone who wants to pick on Josh Allen's game can no longer be listened to or taken seriously.  Allen has shown high level performance against multiple top defensive talent and hasn't slowe down at all.  He's a franchise quarterback who deserves to be discussed as not only MVP, but as THE top quarterback in the league.  His stats and performance on the field tonight should be an expectation now, not a hope.

Nice writeup as usual Virg.  One small editorial correction is necessary.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, transient said:

They also don’t employ a defensive philosophy that allows the other team to dictate the game to them

Wow, was your point never more clear than in the Giants SB. It was almost like not watching the same team. I never want another team to dictate how we play. It is the singular game where I will readily admit Marv Levy was out coached.

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

The worst part about it was that it took the TD away from Lee Smith

Probably would have been first game in Bills History with TD pass to 3 DIFFERENT tight ends

FYI - I have some Free Bills Stuff listed under the Bills Gear (old programs, season ticket books and season ticket cards)

18 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

A better team? That team was unbelievable with 4 consecutive super bowl appearances. Hall of famers like Bruce Smith, Andre Reed, and Jim Kelly. This team looks fantastic but that's a stretch brother. 

Totally agree. This team is really good but let’s win some playoff games first before we announce that the bills goat teams. Just because the Bills list 4 straight Super Bowls dies not make them a bad team. They were also one dropped pass away from 6 straight afc championship games. Agree that Marv was out is he’d in some of those Super Bowls but those teams had amazing character. Just look at the greatest comeback game as well as some amazing  road wins vs Miami and Pittsburgh. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/19/2020 at 10:31 PM, Virgil said:

As the hour passes from the final whistle, I realize that emotion has to be part of these thoughts. 

1) Anyone who wants to pick on Josh Allen's game can no longer be listened to or taken seriously. . . . Allen has shown high level performance against multiple top defensive talent . . . His stats and performance on the field tonight should be an expectation now, not a hope.

5) . . . Even better, Daboll's found a way to make our rushing attack relevant to close out games.  Like Allen, getting 30 points out of this offense should be the expectation going forward.

6) - Gilliam the Unsung - High profile players get you to the playoffs, but depth and rotation is where teams become next level.  Gilliam is a prime example . . .

9) - Comradely . . . We've seen this for weeks, but this team genuinely loves and supports each other.  These guys play for each other more than themselves.  It's infectious, it's leading to wins, and it's all in credit to.... (Answer: McD)

The Bills did exactly what an elite team is supposed to do in this game and that's put away a weaker opponent.  Am I predicting a Super Bowl run?  No.  Would anyone be surprised if it happened?  No.  And to be able to say that is the greatest victory of all.

Go Bills!

@Virgil This may be your best of the season! Having become a Bills fan when Jack Kemp was the QB; watching the OJ years; living through the glory days of the early 90s and watching our beloved team lose four SBs; then the Great Train Robbery in Tenn that sent this franchise into a spiral; that is, the drought of 2000-2017, I think its okay, maybe good, to let the emotions flow and speak once in a while.

I've spent 2 hours this morning reading every article, watching all the post game videos, and reading my TBD friends' posts .... and I admit, there have been tears of joy. THANK YOU for your weekly contribution to the fun of being a Bills fan. You epitomize what it means to be a part of the Bills Mafia. Your work is greatly appreciated.

As for your thoughts this week, they were all spot on! Above, I cherry-picked those I most resonate with. 

Thank you, friend.

Edited by CSBill
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Coastie said:

I think the main reason is that their leader, Josh Allen, doesn’t seem to be a person to throw others under the bus, nor is the head coach. The rest of the players follow their lead.

8 hours ago, Augie said:

My favorite part of this daunting schedule is how many butthead regulars who’ve spewed asinine venom most of the season are nowhere to be found now. It’s bad enough for a beleaguered Fanbase such as us that we have to accept be shredded by talking heads, but inside our Buffalo fandom circle it’s disgusting. The Pride they feign in ‘I told you so’ says so much more about their own inequity than the diarrhea flowing from the upper orifice. 

There. Got that off my chest. I feel better now.😉👍 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Virgil said:

Listen, I know I didn't go deep into a lot of specifics about the game.  In a blowout game where the offense goes off, the defense shuts down the opposing team, and everything was all Buffalo, there's a lot to talk about.  For me, and I apologize if I missed the mark

Go Bills!

Not to worry Virg, we like you, we really like you.

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, jkeerie said:

Jkeerie, I’m finally at the point where I agree with you on this team vs. the glory one.  I’m not old enough to know how the AFL Champion Bills with Kemp and Gilchrist, but things weren’t as public.  I remember the SB Bills of the late 80’s and 90’s, and the bickering between on TV between Jimbo and Thurmon blaming each other for mistakes.  I also remember Polian, not Marv havin a direct conversation with them basically telling them to cut it out.  They did and they grew from it.  My Dad has a family friend who used to clean the plane the Bills took on away games.  I can’t remember the airlines he worked for at the time, but as you can speculate, the back of the plane was a mess with what, liquor, tons of beer cans, and so on, and so on.  Guess who used to sit in that section, yep, Jimbo, Thurmon, Bruce and company.  Now I don’t care about guys blowing off steam, but this team now is so buttoned up, Beane and McD built the culture so this would never happen.

We have a special team now, that is not only balanced in all three phases of the game, has a great culture, no bickering nor infighting we know of at least, and as soon as Lsain became disgruntled, he was shown the door.  It was quick and respectful of the player.  

As far as the game Virg.,well written as always and it shows you wait to stay on key.  You reminded me it was Bill from NYC (that was a nice touch) who started this weekly thread.  We owe you Bill.

As far as the point not being afraid of any other team, I see in the near future as the mystic from the East, the Great Carnac the Magnificent.

The Bills stand toe to toe with the Mighty Chiefs in the AFCC, and Josh Allen drives the Bisons of the East down on the last drive with an acrobatic catch by Diggs, and wha la, The Bills are going back to the SB!

sim sala bim.  The Great Carnac has spoken.

That was for you oh great one Bill from NYC.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2