Best single play in Bills history

stevestojan

On 11/6/2020 at 7:01 PM, Mcdermott said:

I agree but the most athletic play may have been Terrence McGee’s kick off return against the Saints.

If we are truly talking most remarkable, that's my vote. Had no meaningful impact, but just that many of us remember a meaningless kickoff return that we never even scored on 15 years ago. I think that says a lot about how incredible the play was. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, KzooMike said:

If we are truly talking most remarkable, that's my vote. Had no meaningful impact, but just that many of us remember a meaningless kickoff return that we never even scored on 15 years ago. I think that says a lot about how incredible the play was. 

Not the best or biggest play for me but one of the most frustrating. Mcgee did an amazing job to get down that field and somehow with a convoy of at least 6 Bills blockers he gets tripped up by one Saints player inside the 10??!!! I can remember wanting to break my tv after watching that play finish!!

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/6/2020 at 6:06 PM, PonyBoy said:

Jim Kelly's dive into end zone vs Miami 1989. It really began the era of consistently winning. My buddy and I traveled to that game in that end zone surrounded by the Buffalo Jill's cheerleaders who traveled to game to cheer from stands. One of the great plays and days of my life! 😀

That's a great play to choose right there, if you must choose only one.

On 11/6/2020 at 6:14 PM, Beast said:

The blocked FG by Nate Odomes and return for a TD by Bennett against the Broncos in 1990. The Bills were dead in the water if that chip shot was made and would drop to 2-2.

That play launched the Super Bowl Bills, IMO.

I remember this play well and it was indeed HUGE at the time.  It's the sort of play that stands out in my mind now, looking back on those years.  

Back then, the field was littered with playmakers in red, white, and blue, and huge impact plays that altered the course of games were common.  At least that's how I like to remember it.

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/7/2020 at 6:17 AM, BuffaloRebound said:

Those OJ clips were enthralling.  Dude was big, at full speed on his first step, had the change of direction of a scatback and could out run everybody.  There’s no way there’s more than 3-4 RB’s in history with his talent.  Jim Brown, OJ, Barry Sanders.  Probably in that order.  

Don't forget Bo Jackson.  I think Bo might have come closer to OJ than the others you mention in certain ways.

Barry Sanders was a completely different type of runner, though phenomenal in his own way.

Jim Brown is a good comparison with OJ.  Speed and POWER.

32 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Nobody mentioned it so....Ahmad Rashad second touchdown catch against the Raiders on Monday night to complete an amazing comeback. Rich Stadium went nuts! 

I had that on page 6. After Art Thomas scooped a fumble for TD and 20-14 lead with 1:20 left. Great drive by Fergy!

6 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

The best play in Bills history will be the pick 6 Tre has today off of Russell Wilson to seal our victory. (It will stand until the SuperBowl this year when Josh Allen and Stefon Diggs combine for the best play in Bills history)

So close to being true. He fell just short. 

On 11/7/2020 at 11:16 AM, HOUSE said:

This weeks fumble by Russell Wilson followed by a 98 TD return run by Ed Oliver as time runs out

Blah Blah Blah.. Who WINS?

On 11/7/2020 at 4:23 PM, djp14150 said:

We we were seated same end zone, other corner.

i had a small radio listening to van and herd the plays on the radio.  I said #$&@ wejust won.

I was walking and had this lityke transitory radio fir am/fm thst I had on listing. So I heard van call the game.

since I was forced to leave early. I stay till the end.

“CAUGHT FOR A TOUCHDOWN! CAUGHT FOR A TOUCHDOWN!”

Van Miller’s call -Legend!

On 11/6/2020 at 11:16 PM, PromoTheRobot said:

it really is amazing how the Bills in about 4 plays almost in a row came storming back. Blocked FG for a TD, pick 6, Fumbled snap by elway, and Davis TD right after that. 

what also is amazing is how Bad Norwood was that day— I forgot about that. Missed PAT and missed FG near the end to ice it. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/6/2020 at 4:06 PM, PonyBoy said:

Jim Kelly's dive into end zone vs Miami 1989. It really began the era of consistently winning. My buddy and I traveled to that game in that end zone surrounded by the Buffalo Jill's cheerleaders who traveled to game to cheer from stands. One of the great plays and days of my life! 😀

PonyBoy, that’s most likely my first great play memory as a Bills fan. I used to have a JK figure (we may even still have it somewhere), and if you pressed the button, that play was described from JK’s perspective with his actual voice. Classic!

Did/Does anyone else have that JK figure?

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/6/2020 at 6:14 PM, Beast said:

The blocked FG by Nate Odomes and return for a TD by Bennett against the Broncos in 1990. The Bills were dead in the water if that chip shot was made and would drop to 2-2.

That play launched the Super Bowl Bills, IMO.

That play and that game really makes me even more bummed out that there are no fans in the stands at the moment.  I will confess that I didn't actually see that game live but have since watched it online since I heard about some of the plays.  The Chiefs and the Seahawks can claim to have the loudest fans but Bills fans might have something to say about that.

On 11/6/2020 at 6:12 PM, BuffaloBillies said:

Got one... Sam Adams picking off Brady week 1 2003.

Rumbles to endzone and Brady got flattened along the way also. 

Don't forget his Deion Sanders high step on his way into the end zone 😆

On 11/6/2020 at 7:52 PM, stevewin said:

Funny - my favorite/most memorable play was the catch Hooks made before the TD.   We were in the EZ behind the play - it's burned in my memory the view of Fergie letting it go down the middle of the field then...OMG Hooks flying through the air and hauling it in.  OMG.  I think it was the greatest sports play I have ever seen live.  Just incredible.  

Thanks so much for this...I've seen the NFL Films version of this, with Van on the call, but never the NBC feed.

I was there and we were in the tunnel ready to leave when Hooks made the first catch...we saw the TD and the roar of the crowd brought everyone out of the concourse and guys running out of the bathroom, a few with their pants down around their ankles :lol:

I couldn't recognize the announcers' voices, but I think it was Mike Haffner and Dave Rowe.  May have to go through the entire game to find out.

Edited by Ned Flanders
  • Like (+1) 1

On 11/6/2020 at 7:46 PM, smuvtalker said:

20201106_184309.thumb.jpg.0b7b1bf9fff4709703990d0163fd3335.jpg

Gotta love this....

That was an amazing play but hard to call it the best ever. Heck it’s hard to choose one period. I know That OJ has become a sad saga but his play to get 2003 yards sticks out in my mind, It was a huge accomplishment in that era.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

That was an amazing play but hard to call it the best ever. Heck it’s hard to choose one period. I know That OJ has become a sad saga but his play to get 2003 yards sticks out in my mind, It was a huge accomplishment in that era.

Say what you want about OJ as a person but his 2003 yards is the real single season rushing record. No other RB rushed for over 2000 yards in 14 games. He along with Bruce Smith are the two most talented players to ever play for the Bills.

• Like (+1) 3

11 hours ago, BillsFan619 said:

PonyBoy, that’s most likely my first great play memory as a Bills fan. I used to have a JK figure (we may even still have it somewhere), and if you pressed the button, that play was described from JK’s perspective with his actual voice. Classic!

Did/Does anyone else have that JK figure?

I said specifically when the Bills started "consistently" winning. I know they were gaining steam in 88, but that win seemed to start the consistancy and expectation by players and fans alike. I didnt google anything, just based on memory and feel about town.

7 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

Ronnie Harmon's drop in the 1989 AFC division game. Why? If he catches the ball sure we advance but it may have kept him around longer and we may have never seen Thurman Thomas became. Also it made the team develop a hunger to play even harder etc. 

Devils advocate point of view. I like it.

From this year it was Allen to Yeldon for a 30 yard gain and a touchdown believe it or not.. Allen looked like Neo from the Matrix winging that one in there.. The window he fit it in was unreal, it like curved in there past two defenders like bending a bullet.. At that point I knew Allen was going to have a great year and he arrived as our QB.. special throw..

On 11/6/2020 at 7:46 PM, smuvtalker said:

20201106_184309.thumb.jpg.0b7b1bf9fff4709703990d0163fd3335.jpg

Gotta love this....

Always fun to reminisce, but Josh is the REAL DEAL and this play cemented it for me.  So many great plays from my time as a Bills fan since the early ‘70’s, but I am in the here and now and that is Josh. Through and through. 

Team needs to be lifted up? Sure! Put them ALL on my back!!! 😃 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

11 hours ago, PonyBoy said:

I said specifically when the Bills started "consistently" winning. I know they were gaining steam in 88, but that win seemed to start the consistancy and expectation by players and fans alike. I didnt google anything, just based on memory and feel about town.

Devils advocate point of view. I like it.

Oh, I wasn’t questioning you. I was just sharing with you that it was my first great play memory (the JK dive in Miami). Hope that clears it up.

5 hours ago, BillsFan619 said:

Oh, I wasn’t questioning you. I was just sharing with you that it was my first great play memory (the JK dive in Miami). Hope that clears it up.

i know you weren't. I should have been more clear. All good. Enjoy the game this Sunday!

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/7/2020 at 4:19 AM, Chandler#81 said:

Easy. 

The ‘Hit heard ‘round the World’. Mike Stratton’s rib crushing smackdown on Keith Lincoln in the ‘64 Title Game. We were a huge home underdog. The Chargers took the Opening kickoff and easily raced down field to a 7-0 lead. We weren’t in their League. They were the defending Champs and had played in 3 Championships already. Then..

it happened.

The rest, as they say, is History.

Chandler#81, Thanks so much for describing this so well! Those of us who remember these games know the value of plays like that from the old AFL days. And it's im-

portant that Bills fans like you articulate the circumstances before the play that gives Stratten's hit it's resounding impact on the championship game, as well as it's

rightful place in Bills history.  Well done my good man.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 11/11/2020 at 11:32 AM, BuffaloBill said:

Agree, it was hardly the best play ever, but I just personally love seeing this pic and I laugh out loud when I think about how dumb Barr must feel looking at this picture!! 😄    and good call on the OJ run, especially when you consider that at that time OJ was THE offense for the Bills and he accomplished that when defenses specifically stacked the box to stop him.

In all honesty, like you said it's darn near impossible for me to give one play that label...am I alone in considering the Dalton TD pass to Boyd one of the greatest plays in our history? 

Edited by smuvtalker
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 hours ago, smuvtalker said:

Agree, it was hardly the best play ever, but I just personally love seeing this pic and I laugh out loud when I think about how dumb Barr must feel looking at this picture!! 😄    and good call on the OJ run, especially when you consider that at that time OJ was THE offense for the Bills and he accomplished that when defenses specifically stacked the box to stop him.

In all honesty, like you said it's darn near impossible for me to give one play that label...am I alone in considering the Dalton TD pass to Boyd one of the greatest plays in our history? 

Dalton pass is an interesting take and could be a winner. It certainly had a huge impact.

• Like (+1) 1