Best single play in Bills history

stevestojan

1 hour ago, djp14150 said:

For one single play.....

Hail Mary by Ferguson agsinst the Pats. I was st that gamewith my brother and friends. Thry wanted to beat traffic thinking the game was over.

Funny - my favorite/most memorable play was the catch Hooks made before the TD.   We were in the EZ behind the play - it's burned in my memory the view of Fergie letting it go down the middle of the field then...OMG Hooks flying through the air and hauling it in.  OMG.  I think it was the greatest sports play I have ever seen live.  Just incredible.  

• Like (+1) 1

The Roland Hooks play was a classic example of me giving up on a game too early. I got frustrated listening on the radio thinking they had the lost game and seriously damaged their playoff chances. Decided to go for a walk down Abbott Rd since I lived in Blasdell back then. All these cars were driving by after the game from stadium honking their horns and people yelling out the windows "Bills number 1!" I had no idea why until I got home and found out they pulled off a great comeback. That game wasn't a sellout so it wasn't on local TV if I remember correctly.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillies said:

Back when football was football. Today that would earn every flag on the field, 15 yards, ejection, and 2 game suspension. Back then, it was just a great hit. 

Hmm, I don't know. He didn't lead with his helmet. The runner wasn't defenseless. The most you might get is an unnecessary roughness penalty. But I don't know. I think that hit is within the rules.

I’m sure Hap, Chandler, Donuts, or someone can remember, but it was the December Fins game in Buffalo.  RickyWilliams ran for Ithink 220 that day, and there was steady amount of snow in the first half.  After halftime, it turned into a full on Blizzard, and only Bills fans Went nuts cheering the snow.  So a pass gets thrown to Eric Moulds (one of my favorite Bills), and it was a really deep pass.  It must have been Bledsoe.  He catches it one handed and runs for a ton after the catch.  The stadium went nuts and we won.

There have been so many moments, and House brought up a funny one when Brady got tattooed.

• Like (+1) 2

Lots to think about.  For clarification - best play or play that means the most (significance).  If we keep it to best play, it may be easier - less differing of opinion and it would open it up to every single play ever.
My first thought - Terrence McGee's end-of-half kick return against the Saints - if only he had scored!!!
I'll need to chew on this. . . 

2 hours ago, Beast said:

The blocked FG by Nate Odomes and return for a TD by Bennett against the Broncos in 1990. The Bills were dead in the water if that chip shot was made and would drop to 2-2.

That play launched the Super Bowl Bills, IMO.

That's the one that came to my mind.   

Great topic. Depends on how one defines "best" single play. This thread is 3 pages deep and no one has mentioned the single greatest player in Bills history. 

If we define it as "dominating individual performance" on a play, regardless of impact on Bills history or context, then some play by the Juice is likely #1. 

If you don't want to watch the entire video, I suggest checking out the 4 plays starting with him outrunning the entire Steel Curtain at 1:22 through the fumbled kickoff return for a TD. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillies said:

On Brady???

Brady wasn't Brady yet. And Brady today would never take a hit like that, or even attempt a run like that.

Edited by MJS

3 hours ago, PonyBoy said:

Jim Kelly's dive into end zone vs Miami 1989. It really began the era of consistently winning. My buddy and I traveled to that game in that end zone surrounded by the Buffalo Jill's cheerleaders who traveled to game to cheer from stands. One of the great plays and days of my life! 😀

No, it begin in 1988.

12 minutes ago, MJS said:

Brady wasn't Brady yet. And Brady today would never take a guy like that, or even attempt a run like that.

Fine,  but many clean hits that "look" wicked immediately get punished in today's game. 

The point of my post was how the NFL has gotten so soft, especially with hits on qb. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GRHater69 said:

The Roland Hooks play was a classic example of me giving up on a game too early. I got frustrated listening on the radio thinking they had the lost game and seriously damaged their playoff chances. Decided to go for a walk down Abbott Rd since I lived in Blasdell back then. All these cars were driving by after the game from stadium honking their horns and people yelling out the windows "Bills number 1!" I had no idea why until I got home and found out they pulled off a great comeback. That game wasn't a sellout so it wasn't on local TV if I remember correctly.

It was worse for me. I was in the parking lot of the stadium with my Dad. We left early only to hear the roar of the crowd....ran to our car to hear the aftermath.

2 hours ago, WotAGuy said:

Flutie going around left end for the winning TD against the Jags in 1998. Jags were undefeated coming in and it was a wild finish. Was at the game and it was bedlam. 

I was in Vegas. Had a miracle 7 team parley bet (small money,  gigantic payout).

Bills bet came in as did the other 5, but then.... lost the 7th game! I'll never forget it. 

Total buzz kill. But still great bills win. 

26 minutes ago, njbuff said:

No, it begin in 1988.

Agreed Buff.  I was at that Jets game when big old Freddy Smerlas blocked that FG and we stormed the stadium.  As Van said, it was FANDEMONIUM!  I was on that goal post for all of 7 seconds before I almost was trampled.  That was a memory of a lifetime for me with the Bills.  We finally won the East.  We finally won the East.