Free Agency News and Updates - around the league

YoloinOhio
Message added by Hapless Bills Fan

Take the Covid19 discussion to one of the several appropriate threads dedicated to it.

I'm about to spend some time I could put to better use cleaning up the thread.

If you can't restrain yourself I will restrain you.

23 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Doubt it.

The Bills understand that they’re in the window now. They don’t have to pay Josh until 2022 at the earliest, so now’s the time.

And YOLO is right; they can afford all of their own, plus 2 big-time FAs, plus draft picks and be absolutely fine under the cap for at least the next 2 years.

What about anything Beane and McDermott have done since theyve been here makes you think that signing a couple big time free agents is the way the go about building a team?  They are going to spend big money, on the players who have already been in the building.  Then they will supplement those big contracts with pieces they bring in from outside the building on competitive contracts.  They may even give out two 15 million dollar a year contracts I just dont think its going to be D.J. Reader considering the pieces they already have in place at the position.

11 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

The workaround is you can kick the can down the road on some of those guys. Might end up paying more for some of them in the long run but it also buys you time for contracts like Star’s to become waiveable. 

It certainly sounds like we should be preparing for a quiet free agency but that feels like a mistake on Beane’s part imo. 

You can only kick the can so far down the road until you Whaley yourself into cap issues.  Even if you dont pay Josh until 2022 his contract looks like it could come close to 40 million a year by that time.  You cant pay everyone so my point here is they arent going to pay another defensive tackle Star money.   Free agency is fools gold we love it because its something to get excited about in March but paying a ton of money to players rarely works out.

41 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

You give Dawkins, White, Milano and Poyet extensions and bucket 10 million for im season moves you have more like 25 to 30 million.  People on this board are going to be so pissed about free agency.  

I think it is tough to really determine what Beane is going to in free agency

myself I think it really depends on who is available at the time

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

What about anything Beane and McDermott have done since theyve been here makes you think that signing a couple big time free agents is the way the go about building a team?  They are going to spend big money, on the players who have already been in the building.  Then they will supplement those big contracts with pieces they bring in from outside the building on competitive contracts.  They may even give out two 15 million dollar a year contracts I just dont think its going to be D.J. Reader considering the pieces they already have in place at the position.

You can only kick the can so far down the road until you Whaley yourself into cap issues.  Even if you dont pay Josh until 2022 his contract looks like it could come close to 40 million a year by that time.  You cant pay everyone so my point here is they arent going to pay another defensive tackle Star money.   Free agency is fools gold we love it because its something to get excited about in March but paying a ton of money to players rarely works out.

Last year they payed a couple free agents $9M (Brown) and $11M (Morse) but you know for a fact they would never under any circumstances give two free agents $11M each?

And Lotulelei's contract shows they can invest at 1-tech, once he's off the books they pay Reader a similar cap percentage allotment that they've already been paying Lotulelei but for far superior play.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

You do know that Morse got a record contract for a center, right? He currently makes enough to be the 16th highest paid left tackle

I also never said that the 2 big money contracts would go to any specific players; I said that a team that wants to win a championship before they have to pay their QB would use free agency to add 2 premium talents.

53 minutes ago, Bronxbomber21 said:

Why has the NFL moved  the beginning of Free Agency all the way back to March 18? I'm a fan of it being the beginning of  March

Coincided with moving the SB to February 

Need enough time for postseason break, combine, franchise tag period, RFA tenders, FA.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Need enough time for postseason break, combine, franchise tag period, RFA tenders, FA.

Need time for all of the pundits to build enough conversation and hype. The pacing makes sure the league is always in the conversation. Super Bowl,  then combine in primetime 3 weeks later. Free agency 3 weeks after that. Draft is 3 or 4 weeks after that. Mini camp is 3ish weeks after that. Camp opens after that, followed by preseason 3 weeks later.  It's not accidental.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, That's No Moon said:

Need time for all of the pundits to build enough conversation and hype. The pacing makes sure the league is always in the conversation. Super Bowl,  then combine in primetime 3 weeks later. Free agency 3 weeks after that. Draft is 3 or 4 weeks after that. Mini camp is 3ish weeks after that. Camp opens after that, followed by preseason 3 weeks later.  It's not accidental.

Um, you also want to give the playoff and super bowl teams a fair chance to compete in the offseason. They only get 6 weeks from the big game until FA, and in that time they need to do closing physicals, medical evaluations, offseason planning, determine tags, tender RFAs, attend the combine, adjust boards, attend pro days, re-sign UFAs, make cuts, etc.

It’s not only about staying relevant.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I don't see Beane doing any big free agent signings of $10M AAV or more.  Yes he signed Morse and Star but I view those were done out of necessity if not desperation.  They had no one on the roster to step in so they had to get those guys.  I see him extending their own guys and doing FA moves like last year minus Morse.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Coincided with moving the SB to February 

...well at least there are no "premature tampering" violations (COUGH).......

8 minutes ago, Motor26 said:

Depth is no longer a bit problem for the Bills, but elite talent is. Would like Beane to grab a stud offensive lineman and edge rusher in free agency.

I don’t know that I would say depth isn’t a problem. They definitely need to be looking at backup QB and depth at RB, OL, DT, LB, and CB.

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/6/2020 at 7:33 PM, ScottLaw said:

Funchess is a guy you sign if you strike out basically everywhere else in FA.

It’s a miracle, I agree with you ?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Motor26 said:

Depth is no longer a bit problem for the Bills, but elite talent is. Would like Beane to grab a stud offensive lineman and edge rusher in free agency.

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

I don’t know that I would say depth isn’t a problem. They definitely need to be looking at backup QB and depth at RB, OL, DT, LB, and CB.

while the depth problem might not be completely solved, we are quickly approaching, and in a good number of areas are at, the point where elite talent is the next step in our roster building.

On 3/7/2020 at 10:00 AM, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

......so what am I missing when I look at his stats?......

Year Team G Att Att/G Yds Avg Yds/G TD Lng 1st 1st% 20+ 40+ FUM
2019 Denver Broncos 16 2 0.1 9 4.5 0.6 0 5 0 0.0 0 0 0

2018 Denver Broncos 16 34 2.1 183 5.4 11.4 1 26 11 32.4 1 0 0

2017 Denver Broncos 13 79 6.1 299 3.8 23.0 1 26 11 13.9 1 0 1

2016 Denver Broncos 16 174 10.9 612 3.5 38.2 4 18 30 17.2 0 0 2

I personally am thinking someone whos young. Still has ability. Good size, Booker is near 220 lbs. His rookie year was his best year. 

Denver at that time had a very solid OLine, solid WRs... so good they made Trevor Siemian look good.

What has Denver done since? The OL diminished, WRs are junk, QB situation has been terrible. Philip Lindsey stepped up cause he’s better in the passing game.

Booker for the most part has been available, healthy. He’s still young and can still play. I feel Booker can be had for $2-3M per tops. I think he could be a solid backup. I prefer Jordan Howard, but Howard is gonna take $5-6M per easily.

IMO Booker still has ability and has been healthy. In the right situation on the right team I think he can succeed. 

Look, Cleveland did nothing with Poyer, Green Bay with Hyde, Lorax, Jordan Phillips, Feliciano, Spain.... all those dudes other teams and fans wrote them off. I think Booker still has game. Not only that he can be had cheap.

Edited by CEN-CAL17
  • Like (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

I personally am thinking someone whos young. Still has ability. Good size, Booker is near 220 lbs. His rookie year was his best year. 

Denver at that time had a very solid OLine, solid WRs... so good they made Trevor Siemian look good.

What has Denver done since? The OL diminished, WRs are junk, QB situation has been terrible. Philip Lindsey stepped up cause he’s better in the passing game.

Booker for the most part has been available, healthy. He’s still young and can still play. I feel Booker can be had for $2-3M per tops. I think he could be a solid backup. I prefer Jordan Howard, but Howard is gonna take $5-6M per easily.

IMO Booker still has ability and has been healthy. In the right situation on the right team I think he can succeed. 

Look, Cleveland did nothing with Poyer, Green Bay with Hyde, Lorax, Jordan Phillips, Feliciano, Spain.... all those dudes other teams and fans wrote them off. I think Booker still has game. Not only that he can be had cheap.

Does he fumble?

4 hours ago, Bronxbomber21 said:

Why has the NFL moved  the beginning of Free Agency all the way back to March 18? I'm a fan of it being the beginning of  March

My guess the CBA talks / voting. 

Former Bills draftee Jonathan Williams is a free agent after playing really well at Indy this past season filling in for Mack. 

Is he the guy who showed up at camp way overweight and blamed it on his pregnant girlfriend? 

18 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

Former Bills draftee Jonathan Williams is a free agent after playing really well at Indy this past season filling in for Mack. 

Is he the guy who showed up at camp way overweight and blamed it on his pregnant girlfriend? 

No that was Karlos 

• Thank you (+1) 1

We should bring in Jason Peters just for fun. Remember when he first started and he blocked a punt then the next year caught a touchdown? That was back before we knew what position he actually was 

Edited by Bills!Win!

3 minutes ago, Bills!Win! said:

We should bring in Jason Peters just for fun. Remember when he first started and he blocked a punt then the next year caught a touchdown? That was back before we knew what position he actually was 

We'll need a flatbed and a fork lift.

• Haha (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Bills!Win! said:

You'd bring in players just for fun?  You're fired!

14 hours ago, BigBuff423 said:

What we all need to remember in all of this is that even if the Bills go all in on the Cap this year, the new CBA is about to pop the top off the Cap. As soon as next year when even more players can come off the books there will be a major Cap improvement providing relief and re-set. So, since I truly do trust Beane, if he believes Reader is worth the price - then let it be so. I also think Beane is the guy who weighs strengths in FA against Draft strengths and Draft position + Draft capital to make moves. 

In the end, Beane will set this team up for this year and future years’ success. This, I have no doubt.

Isn't it GREAT to have that confidence in your team's front office?!

When you think about some of the scrubs the Bills have had at GM over the decades, it is truly refreshing to have Brandon Beane at the helm of the Bills.

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/2/2020 at 2:08 PM, DJB said:

I think the Bill's walk away in free agency with one of Mario Addison ( McDermott connection) or Everson Griffen (L Frazier connection)

Both guys aren't tier one pass rushing FA but tier 2 guys. 

It makes too much sense to not happen 

Agreed, like your idea but don't forget to include Robert Quinn as well. A bit younger than the two you mentioned and still has a lot of speed left. If we get one of these three and then draft one in the first 3 rounds, I'd be excited about that group. 

7 hours ago, GreggTX said:

Conklin isn't what he used to be, but he's still adequate. I want Scherff or Thuney. Sign A Cooper and go OT in the 1st.

Isn't what he used to be? He's only 25 years old. Does he have some kind of debilitating physical condition we are not aware of?

• Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Turk71 said:

No he was the one with the DUI and video in Arkansas 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

Per WFAN, NJ Jest to release CB Trumaine Johnson.

They must really hate the guy to cut him, take the $12,000,000 cap hit, and only net $3,000,000 in savings overall. 

• Haha (+1) 1