Free Agency News and Updates - around the league

YoloinOhio
Message added by Hapless Bills Fan

Take the Covid19 discussion to one of the several appropriate threads dedicated to it.

I'm about to spend some time I could put to better use cleaning up the thread.

If you can't restrain yourself I will restrain you.

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...allegedly, Gordon turned down $10 mil/yr from Chargers.....reportedly wants $13 mil/yr.........tell me what these stats are worthy of.........

Year
Team
ATT
YDS
AVG
TD
REC
YDS
AVG
TD

Looking at Singletary's stats from last year and comparing them to Gordons over the past two, a few things stand out to me:

1.  Singletary's yards per carry is 5.1 last year, while Gordon MAY be in a decline in that area.  Worth the risk/gamble?

2.  Gordon is a bit better as a receiver.

3.  Overall, Gordon (IMO) would not be a major upgrade to Singletary and would very likely want a paycheque ABOVE his production worth so for those reasons, I'd say no thanks.

Really, all along I've thought that we ought to consider RB as early as round 1.  There are some great options into round 3 as well.  I hope we draft RB early and add some youth to the position.

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...allegedly, Gordon turned down $10 mil/yr from Chargers.....reportedly wants $13 mil/yr.........tell me what these stats are worthy of.........

Year
Team
ATT
YDS
AVG
TD
REC
YDS
AVG
TD

It's really a ridiculous ask. Don't see anyone coming close to offering that kind of payday.

36 minutes ago, Yantha said:

Looking at Singletary's stats from last year and comparing them to Gordons over the past two, a few things stand out to me:

1.  Singletary's yards per carry is 5.1 last year, while Gordon MAY be in a decline in that area.  Worth the risk/gamble?

2.  Gordon is a bit better as a receiver.

3.  Overall, Gordon (IMO) would not be a major upgrade to Singletary and would very likely want a paycheque ABOVE his production worth so for those reasons, I'd say no thanks.

Really, all along I've thought that we ought to consider RB as early as round 1.  There are some great options into round 3 as well.  I hope we draft RB early and add some youth to the position.

The value is better later in the draft, imo, though as an UGA fan, I'm partial to Swift. Really think we need to focus on WR1 first round even if it's a deep draft at the position. I'm hoping we make a move for one of the top three because I think they have elite potential. Ruggs and Jeudy already know Daboll's system and Lamb may be the best of the bunch.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Who said:

It's really a ridiculous ask. Don't see anyone coming close to offering that kind of payday.

The value is better later in the draft, imo, though as an UGA fan, I'm partial to Swift. Really think we need to focus on WR1 first round even if it's a deep draft at the position. I'm hoping we make a move for one of the top three because I think they have elite potential. Ruggs and Jeudy already know Daboll's system and Lamb may be the best of the bunch.

Yep.  I agree.  

I also like Swift as the best option in round one.  I'm also liking Dobbins and Helaire.  Outside of that, I'm not sure really.

As for WR, I'd even be fine with selecting THREE.... Our top 2 guys are long in the tooth by NFL terms and we can do better.  I like the TALLER guys......  No more short targets!!

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

Year
Team
ATT
YDS
AVG
TD
REC
YDS
AVG
TD

A 3rd round pick 

3 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

Year
Team
ATT
YDS
AVG
TD
REC
YDS
AVG
TD

1 hour ago, Dr. Who said:

Despair, Idiot, and Demotivational Posters: coM  DESPAIR  BELIEVE IN YOURSELF  BECAUSE THE REST OF US THINK YOU'RE AN IDIOT. "Believe in Yourself"

• Haha (+1) 2

12 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I am not looking to pay big money to try to get better then Devin.....I am looking for a young guy that will back him up without a drop off in production that is possibly a better receiver.......

Preferably this backup player would be a speed guy

I agree with the first part but rather have a bigger, battering ram type. Our main goal line weapon is Allen and he shouldn't be. We need a pounder like Jerome Bettis to get the tough yards esp from within the 5 yard line. 

Edited by Fan in Chicago

19 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Nope.

He got paid RT money. They moved him to LT and he wanted a new contract.

He reported and played in every game save for the first, which the team chose to hold him out of. He then said he’d hold out again without a new deal. They traded him.

All of the above is well-documented.

Yup. We moved him to LT, and paid Langston Walker more money for RT. How can anyone say an undrafted free agent wanted out of Buffalo? He chose to sign here. He just wanted to get paid a fair amount. What a shame. 

Edited by BillsFan2313
  • Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, BillsFan2313 said:

Yup. We moved him to LT, and paid Langston Walker more money for RT. How can anyone say an undrafted free agent wanted out of Buffalo? He chose to sign here. He just wanted to get paid a fair amount. What a shame. 

Because that’s what many fans say about every player that leaves the organization. It’s seldom true though 

21 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Because that’s what many fans say about every player that leaves the organization. It’s seldom true though 

I was definitely on the Bills side of that trade when it happened.  I was "he signed a contract guy" but then now that I look at it....Peters had every right to not like his contract situation.  

19 hours ago, Billy Zabka said:

That was Russ Brandon and John Murphy propaganda. He wanted to be paid after a position change. Simple as that.  The Bills didnt want to pay the going rate and dealt a future hall of fame LT just entering his prime for a very late 1st rd pick.  It was a horrible trade by a "GM" that didnt know what the hell he was doing.

Am I wrong on this I thought peters was flipped for Eric wood

32 minutes ago, BillsFan2313 said:

I think it was some of both.

After finding himself as the lowest paid OL on the team again, Peters went in to Russ' office to ask for a raise (without an agent). Russ told Peters that he wasn't a priority, Lee Evans was the priority.  Those were Russ' words.

They went months without hearing from Peters. Around training camp time, Russ remarked that he hadn't talked to Peters since that conversation.

I've always read that Peters was a bit of a nonconformist and had a different way of looking at things. There's no doubt in my mind that the way Russ phrased things, it ticked him off royally. Its probably why, when Russ DID offer Peters the highest contract for an OL in Bills' history, Peters let Russ know he could have sex with himself.

He DID go in seeking more money, but the way Russ talked to him made him not ant to be in Buffalo any longer.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I guess my point here was it wasn’t ‘terrible’ because the transaction turned several years of a pro bowl center

for a guy that did NOT want to be here

and yes Jason peters has been a great player

In the end, the trade turned out worse for the Bills because they missed nearly a decade of a HoF caliber lineman.    He wanted to be here, but also wanted to be paid for his position.  Both sides then dug in.  If he had waited until the next off-season, he would have gotten paid.

Just now, GG said:

In the end, the trade turned out worse for the Bills because they missed nearly a decade of a HoF caliber lineman.    He wanted to be here, but also wanted to be paid for his position.  Both sides then dug in.  If he had waited until the next off-season, he would have gotten paid.

There really is no argument for the years of disfunction 

on the end?  I am glad we had Eric wood on this team

31 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I guess my point here was it wasn’t ‘terrible’ because the transaction turned several years of a pro bowl center

for a guy that did NOT want to be here

and yes Jason peters has been a great player

Not wanting to be somewhere and wanting fair market value are 2 different things. Jason Peters wasn’t wrong; the Bills were. Now it wasn’t a total disaster because Wood turned out to be a quality player. The Bills certainly lost the trade though. They should have just paid Peters.

5 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

As much as we all like Eric Wood and he was a good center, there’s no comparison to losing the services of a legit All Pro LT for 10 years.  But we probably still would’ve sucked at the end of the Ralph years and in the middle of the Pats dynasty anyway.  

I think that this is a good point. It was the wrong decision but may not have mattered.

28 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Not wanting to be somewhere and wanting fair market value are 2 different things. Jason Peters wasn’t wrong; the Bills were. Now it wasn’t a total disaster because Wood turned out to be a quality player. The Bills certainly lost the trade though. They should have just paid Peters.

Devils advocate...you set a a dangerous precedent redoing a guy who has 3 years left no?

11 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Not IMO, situations change. He was an extreme example, as an undrafted guy that was early in a HOF career. He’s the exception to the rule. 

In retrospect it is, but Ralph didn't want to set a precedent.  

2 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

As much as we all like Eric Wood and he was a good center, there’s no comparison to losing the services of a legit All Pro LT for 10 years.  But we probably still would’ve sucked at the end of the Ralph years and in the middle of the Pats dynasty anyway.  

+1

3 hours ago, GG said:

In retrospect it is, but Ralph didn't want to set a precedent.  

This was the same Ralph that had no problem paying Chris Kelsey. The issue wasn’t when to pay them, it was who he wanted to pay. Ralph just got lucky that he had a great GM in the late 80s that made those decisions easy at that chunk of time. When not during that period he did make some awful contract decisions. 

1st rounder tender is roughly $5 million, but point is, he'll be back in New Orleans because nobody is giving up a 1st round pick and that's apparently how New Orleans wants it.

Edited by DCOrange

Not sure this is the best place for this:  @Matt Parrino speculates on 5 "under the radar" free agents the Bills could pursue.

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2020/03/buffalo-bills-free-agency-2020-5-under-the-radar-targets.html

Daryl Williams, OK, competent but not great RT in 2017, IR 2018 after probably being too aggressive trying to come back too soon, played 12 games last year at 3 different positions.  Rumored the Bills tried to bring him in last off season, so OK (paired with Nsekhe, would they have one-16-season knee between 'em?).  I wouldn't be excited, but good signing.

Jordan Howard, competent add at RB if his shoulder is all healed up and he's good to go.   Carl Nassib, doesn't excite me as an alternative to Lawson, would be a solid "add competition" move.  Mackenzie Alexander, no opinion.

He lost me completely at Devin Funchess.  Seriously?  If your answer is Devin Funchess, just what was your question, "what FA WR could Bills sign with career catch percentage less than 1% better than Kelvin Benjamin?"  It surely wasn't "What FA WR would give us new capabilities and provide a clear step up on the guys we already got".  Seriously, I'd feel better hearing we're gonna go with Duke Williams and Isaiah McKenzie as the backup plan.

Demarcus Robinson would be better.  Better is what's required to avoid counting on a WR, especially if we go with another position in the first.  If the Bills are trying to go it without shelling out the big bucks for a proven talent who may not want to be here such as Hooper or Cooper, Beane had jolly well better loosen his pursestrings a bit more.

7 minutes ago, DCOrange said:
1st rounder tender is roughly $5 million, but point is, he'll be back in New Orleans because nobody is giving up a 1st round pick and that's apparently how New Orleans wants it.

They were never going to let him go. It sounds like hyperbole but Taysom Hill is, arguably, the most popular player on their team. He’s like Mike Jasper on steroids. 

21 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Not sure this is the best place for this:  @Matt Parrino speculates on 5 "under the radar" free agents the Bills could pursue.

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2020/03/buffalo-bills-free-agency-2020-5-under-the-radar-targets.html

Daryl Williams, OK, competent but not great RT in 2017, IR 2018 after probably being too aggressive trying to come back too soon, played 12 games last year at 3 different positions.  Rumored the Bills tried to bring him in last off season, so OK (paired with Nsekhe, would they have one-16-season knee between 'em?).  I wouldn't be excited, but good signing.

Jordan Howard, competent add at RB if his shoulder is all healed up and he's good to go.   Carl Nassib, doesn't excite me as an alternative to Lawson, would be a solid "add competition" move.  Mackenzie Alexander, no opinion.

He lost me completely at Devin Funchess.  Seriously?  If your answer is Devin Funchess, just what was your question, "what FA WR could Bills sign with career catch percentage less than 1% better than Kelvin Benjamin?"  It surely wasn't "What FA WR would give us new capabilities and provide a clear step up on the guys we already got".  Seriously, I'd feel better hearing we're gonna go with Duke Williams and Isaiah McKenzie as the backup plan.

Demarcus Robinson would be better.  Better is what's required to avoid counting on a WR, especially if we go with another position in the first.  If the Bills are trying to go it without shelling out the big bucks for a proven talent who may not want to be here such as Hooper or Cooper, Beane had jolly well better loosen his pursestrings a bit more.

Funchess obviously wouldn't be an exciting addition, but they probably aren't looking for that in free agency as a WR anyways. Funchess has at least shown he can be moderately productive over the course of a full season. And for all the handwringing about his catch rate, his true catch rate in 2018 (since he was basically out the entire year in 2019) was higher than Robinson's this past season.

Beane liked Funchess in Carolina, he'll likely be signing a very cheap and or 1 year deal (both of which are ideal), and he gives us a big and somewhat proven red zone target that we don't currently have on the team. Maybe more importantly, he gives us someone that we know is a capable starter when healthy so that we don't have to reach for a more pro-ready WR in the draft if we don't want to.

Funchess isn't my #1 target for FA WRs but bringing him in would make a lot of sense and probably moreso than Robinson IMO.

Edited by DCOrange
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

They were never going to let him go. It sounds like hyperbole but Taysom Hill is, arguably, the most popular player on their team. He’s like Mike Jasper on steroids. 

Your our NOLA corespondent, is he really seen as the Saints future QB?