Free Agency News and Updates - around the league

YoloinOhio
Message added by Hapless Bills Fan

Take the Covid19 discussion to one of the several appropriate threads dedicated to it.

I'm about to spend some time I could put to better use cleaning up the thread.

If you can't restrain yourself I will restrain you.

10 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

7 minutes ago, Motor26 said:

No NFL team is gonna give him 12 million a year.

I mean I don’t know what people expect? I thought $10Mish but $12M won’t be a shock. Trent Murphy is about to get $10M and he’s a worse player that signed his contract years ago. 

• Like (+1) 5

14 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I mean I don’t know what people expect? I thought $10Mish but $12M won’t be a shock. Trent Murphy is about to get $10M and he’s a worse player that signed his contract years ago. 

Got to agree. Shaq is going to make at least $10 mil a year. I have always thought it will average out to near  $12 mil a year. 
Now I would gladly replace Murphy for Shaq for just a few million more. 

• Like (+1) 2

i'm not sure what the hell is going on to tell you the truth.

it seems like half the NFL is a free agent, we have half the world dying from a new virus,  and the other half is pitted against one another in the political sphere.

we're all gonna die!

at some point anyway...

gah.gif.4b7f00ff56bb06b65a2d9c318a35c350.gif

Edited by Foxx

6 minutes ago, Foxx said:

i'm not sure what the hell is going on to tell you the truth.

it seems like half the NFL is a free agent, we have half the world dying from a new virus,  and the other half is pitted against one another in the political sphere.

we're all gonna die!

at some point anyway...

gah.gif.4b7f00ff56bb06b65a2d9c318a35c350.gif

Life has a 100% mortality rate.

• Sad 1

Not sure if already posted, and not really newsworthy.  But what the hell.

Packers released TE Jimmy Graham.

The move was 100% expected and saves the Packers $8 million in cap space as Graham was headed into the final year of his deal. Graham is entering his age-34 season and really hasn’t been the same since leaving New Orleans. He managed a 34-447-3 line last season with Aaron Rodgers in an offense that starved for playmakers. Graham doesn’t have a whole lot left at this stage.

Mar 11, 2020, 6:44 PM ET

3 hours ago, Motor26 said:

No NFL team is gonna give him 12 million a year.

just wait and watch.  And Shaq has the numbers to prove it.  May be it was only for one year..but that is the most important year

9 minutes ago, ganesh said:

just wait and watch.  And Shaq has the numbers to prove it.  May be it was only for one year..but that is the most important year

Maybe its best. I read somewhere that he only played under 50% of the defensive snaps. His numbers would have been better with more run and I'm sure his agent is letting other teams know that. He showed much improvement no doubt and I would like to see him retained along with Phillips but 12 mil a year for 2 players that are rotational in McDs scheme is a bit much. I'd cut Murphy if they sign Shaq and give him that extra time on the field.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BillsMafi$ said:

6BD1F5C2-D754-45D8-B83B-060740E22EEE.jpeg

It would be so weird to see Brady pick the raiders of the teams rumored with interest. They just don’t seem like super bowl contenders, even with Brady (especially 42yr old Brady). Maybe it’s that ownership stake they’re supposedly offering? Or maybe he thinks it’ll be better for his business interests after he retires? 

I feel like if he picks the raiders raiders it will be because of more than just wanting to win, which I thought was his #1 priority. 

5 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

It would be so weird to see Brady pick the raiders of the teams rumored with interest. They just don’t seem like super bowl contenders, even with Brady (especially 42yr old Brady). Maybe it’s that ownership stake they’re supposedly offering? Or maybe he thinks it’ll be better for his business interests after he retires? 

I feel like if he picks the raiders raiders it will be because of more than just wanting to win, which I thought was his #1 priority. 

I think Brady may have won enough such that he can consider other options 

2 hours ago, Smitty75 said:

I hope that we will find a way to retain Lawson at a reasonable price !

Or maybe we could put the franchise tag on him, because i feel like we didn't see his full potential yet.

Gross.  Tagging Shaq would be a horrible move.  He’s developed into what I thought he’d be.  A very good, but limited DE who sets the edge well and can get some sacks through scheme and effort (coverage sacks).  He’s not a guy that’s going to beat an OT off the ball and get to the QB fast though.  He’s a good piece to have on your team, but he’s never going to be a big difference maker.  I’d be happy to keep him at a reasonable price, but he seems to be looking for the last nickel on the open market (and I don’t blame him for that) so I expect some other team to overpay.  I just don’t want it to be us. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

Gross.  Tagging Shaq would be a horrible move.  He’s developed into what I thought he’d be.  A very good, but limited DE who sets the edge well and can get some sacks through scheme and effort (coverage sacks).  He’s not a guy that’s going to beat an OT off the ball and get to the QB fast though.  He’s a good piece to have on your team, but he’s never going to be a big difference maker.  I’d be happy to keep him at a reasonable price, but he seems to be looking for the last nickel on the open market (and I don’t blame him for that) so I expect some other team to overpay.  I just don’t want it to be us. 

Agreed 100%

Even watching the games last year, at least 2 of his 6.5 sacks were blown coverages where he walked in untouched on the QB. That's no fault of his own, but really, he's not a real pass rush threat and isn't worth that kind of $$$. They are better off spending the dough on someone who can get to the QB. 

No disrespect to Shaq. He's improved every year in the league and by all accounts is a solid teammate. I'd just rather allocate that kind of money elsewhere. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, TOboy said:

Agreed 100%

Even watching the games last year, at least 2 of his 6.5 sacks were blown coverages where he walked in untouched on the QB. That's no fault of his own, but really, he's not a real pass rush threat and isn't worth that kind of $$$. They are better off spending the dough on someone who can get to the QB. 

No disrespect to Shaq. He's improved every year in the league and by all accounts is a solid teammate. I'd just rather allocate that kind of money elsewhere. 

Ok, well 4.5 sacks in less than 50% snaps is still impressive

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

9 minutes ago, TOboy said:

Agreed 100%

Would you rather pay Shaq $12M or Murphy $10M? I honestly think this is the type of decision that they are weighing. They can release Murphy and save just over $8M. I think I’d rather release Murphy and keep Shaq. He’s the better player at this point. You’d still need to add another guy (maybe go for one of the older guys on a shorter deal). 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Would you rather pay Shaq $12M or Murphy $10M? I honestly think this is the type of decision that they are weighing. They can release Murphy and save just over $8M. I think I’d rather release Murphy and keep Shaq. He’s the better player at this point. You’d still need to add another guy (maybe go for one of the older guys on a shorter deal). 

It's a more intriguing question when put in that context. But you're also eating an additional $2M by cutting Murphy, so it's really more like a $4M premium on Shaq. I guess it depends, I think Murphy is the better pass rusher, Shaq is better against the run and more likely to make it through a season without missing games. 

For this year, we've got the cap, but Shaq's deal will likely require some term. Lots to consider. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I thought you were a Murphy backer?

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

If we can't get Clowney, I would do exactly what you said. Release Trent, get Shaq back and sign Mario Addison. Then draft a guy, as Addison is 33.

• Like (+1) 1

Agreed, completely. That's what I hope we end up doing.

• Like (+1) 1

I’m not anti-Murphy (I was). I thought he finished the season well. I just think Shaq’s a more complete player. He’s a better player. If I had to choose I’d pay Shaq and eat the Murphy money. 

That's basically where I am.  Murphy's fate will be decided in the first week of FA

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Short answer is I'd rather pay Murphy because I know I can cut him at any moment and get that money back.

But the real answer is, how about neither? We can bring in better pass rushers for the same or less money than both of them.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Shaq might be better than Murphy yet could the Bills get a player that could contribute enough that combined with Murphy at or less than $4 million be better than Shaq alone? That's the whole key about the cap and building a team that it's the best collection of talent. Not necessarily have great starters but best group of talent aka team. Except in the case of positions that usually only have one guy that plays almost every down. 

27 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

That’s not accurate or even the real decision here.  First off, the delta for Murphy is $8M to keep him for this season.  The rest would be dead cap anyway.  I definitely keep him for that cap hit unless we have a big influx of talent at the position as we need to be 3 deep at DE (at least).

The real questions with Shaq are 1)What’s his role? And 2) How much will he cost?  He’s an excellent rotational DE IMO.  I love him in there on rushing downs, but he is at best adequate as a pass rusher.  That’s more like an $8M AAV contract than it is $12M one.  As I expect some team to overpay I’d bow out at that time.  If that doesn’t happen then I’m certainly listening. 

We are looking at an overhaul of the DEs in the near future, however.  Shaq is a FA, Murphy is in his last season and Hughes has two left but, honestly, he may not see both of them in a Bills uni.  I’d definitely look to address the position in both FA and the draft and target more complete DEs than Shaq.  One starting caliber and one developmental DE would be my goal. 

Edited by BarleyNY

7 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Short answer is I'd rather pay Murphy because I know I can cut him at any moment and get that money back.

But the real answer is, how about neither? We can bring in better pass rushers for the same or less money than both of them.

6 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Shaq might be better than Murphy yet could the Bills get a player that could contribute enough that combined with Murphy at or less than $4 million be better than Shaq alone? That's the whole key about the cap and building a team that it's the best collection of talent. Not necessarily have great starters but best group of talent aka team. Except in the case of positions that usually only have one guy that plays almost every down. 

5 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Keep. Murphy.

The odds that this team ends up with 4 DEs that are better than him are very, very, very low.

I’m guessing Addison and a guy in the draft. That is fine as a short term solution. Addison and Hughes though is a year to year thing. They’re going to have to find some guys that are younger and dependable. That’s why I’d sign Shaq and release Murphy. I think he’s a high floor guy at this point. He going to get you around 8 sacks and be effective against the run. He’s rarely hurt and is still ascending. 

My real hope is that they sign Clowney and draft a guy in the mid rounds. I just don’t think that’s going to happen.

20 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’m guessing Addison and a guy in the draft. That is fine as a short term solution. Addison and Hughes though is a year to year thing. They’re going to have to find some guys that are younger and dependable. That’s why I’d sign Shaq and release Murphy. I think he’s a high floor guy at this point. He going to get you around 8 sacks and be effective against the run. He’s rarely hurt and is still ascending. 

My real hope is that they sign Clowney and draft a guy in the mid rounds. I just don’t think that’s going to happen.

I just don't see Shaq significantly better than Murphy especially when comes to pass rush, therefore think waiving one for the other makes little sense especially if have to pay for the other Yet I agree adding a veteran is good for a year or two and drafting a guy a great plan. 

2 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

I just don't see Shaq significantly better than Murphy especially when comes to pass rush, therefore think waiving one for the other makes little sense especially if have to pay for the other Yet I agree adding a veteran is good for a year or two and drafting a guy a great plan. 

Oh I don’t think there’s a huge difference between the 2. The biggest thing to me is that Shaq is probably 4 more years and is healthier (generally). I think that gives the Bills a higher floor. My fear is that if they go Addison, Hughes, Murphy, and don’t draft a guy until the mid rounds. What do they do in 2021? The position needs SOME stability imo. Now maybe they draft a guy like Anae or even Epenesa that will give them that. Maybe they sign a younger guy or a star and my concern is invalid. 

4 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Oh I don’t think there’s a huge difference between the 2. The biggest thing to me is that Shaq is probably 4 more years and is healthier (generally). I think that gives the Bills a higher floor. My fear is that if they go Addison, Hughes, Murphy, and don’t draft a guy until the mid rounds. What do they do in 2021? The position needs SOME stability imo. Now maybe they draft a guy like Anae or even Epenesa that will give them that. Maybe they sign a younger guy or a star and my concern is invalid. 

I think there’s a very good chance that they draft a pass rusher early regardless of what they do in FA; ditto for WR and RB.

At this point I fully expect Beane to maneuver for 3 day-3 picks to stock the roster with fresh talent at WR, EDGE, RB, and CB.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I would cut Murphy ( $8 mil ) and instead of paying Shaq 12 mil get a premium pass rusher that we ( IMO) we desperately need for 20 mil 

• Like (+1) 1