Free Agency News and Updates - around the league

YoloinOhio
Message added by Hapless Bills Fan

Take the Covid19 discussion to one of the several appropriate threads dedicated to it.

I'm about to spend some time I could put to better use cleaning up the thread.

If you can't restrain yourself I will restrain you.

Mike Florio seems to be of the opinion that the NFL is just waiting until after the CBA is voted in to announce the delay of the start of the new league year. The theory is that they don't want to jeopardize the vote or give the players any reason to claim that the unprecedented chain of events should allow them to re-do the CBA vote. As such, they'll wait until it's officially passed, and then tomorrow they'll announce that the start of the league year WILL, in fact, be delayed.

I don't have an opinion on the validity of this theory one way or the other, but I thought it was interesting, so I am reporting it here.

1 minute ago, Logic said:

Mike Florio seems to be of the opinion that the NFL is just waiting until after the CBA is voted in to announce the delay of the start of the new league year. The theory is that they don't want to jeopardize the vote or give the players any reason to claim that the unprecedented chain of events should allow them to re-do the CBA vote. As such, they'll wait until it's officially passed, and then tomorrow they'll announce that the start of the league year WILL, in fact, be delayed.

I don't have an opinion on the validity of this theory one way or the other, but I thought it was interesting, so I am reporting it here.

Yup...only makes sense to delay...

8 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

You’ll find out tomorrow When the CBA passes tonight it’s being delayed.  Pretty much a foregone conclusion at this point 

Only question is how far they'll be delaying it. Things aren't likely to get much better, virus-wise, in the next month. So...Do they push it to the end of April? And if so, when does the draft end up taking place? And then offseason activities (OTAs, minicamps, etc) have to be delayed, too.

What a mess.

23 hours ago, NewEra said:

When Clowney is out there going full speed, he’s a wrecking ball difference maker.  It doesn’t result in sacks.  He just wreaks havoc.  That matters.  Watch the week 10 game, Seahawks vs niners in SF.  It’s not always about stats

Stats are all that matters, honestly. I don't want another pressure leader. I want someone who puts up double digit sacks. Period. Let Hughes continue to get pressures and never go to a pro bowl or sniff anywhere near all pro.

9 minutes ago, MJS said:

Stats are all that matters, honestly. I don't want another pressure leader. I want someone who puts up double digit sacks. Period. Let Hughes continue to get pressures and never go to a pro bowl or sniff anywhere near all pro.

while leading the pass rush of a dominant defense.

A pressure leading to an incompletion, while not as good as a sack can help win games....which is what we’re trying to do.  Clowney and Hughes would wreak havoc out there.  And both play the run extremely well.

who cares if jerry ever makes a pro bowl??  Did you really just suggest that a pro bowl means something?  I think Clowney can help

us win the super bowl 

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

while leading the pass rush of a dominant defense.

A pressure leading to an incompletion, while not as good as a sack can help win games....which is what we’re trying to do.  Clowney and Hughes would wreak havoc out there.  And both play the run extremely well.

who cares if jerry ever makes a pro bowl??  Did you really just suggest that a pro bowl means something?  I think Clowney can help

us win the super bowl 

Have you noticed that the best players in the NFL generally go to the pro bowl? Why? Because the best players are the most popular players. There are usually some snubs and usually a couple that don't deserve it because they get in on past accomplishments, but the pro bowl absolutely does mean something. People who say it doesn't have no foundation for such a claim.

Hughes is a good player. I like him and want to keep him. He's just not elite. Clowney is also a good player and would be nice to have,. It hest not elite and hest about to be offered elite money. Idt rather draft and develop an edge rusher who actually produces sacks. That would take a ton of pressure off of Hughes. Granted, Clowney would take that pressure off too, but I just don't want to pay him that much.

3 hours ago, MJS said:

Have you noticed that the best players in the NFL generally go to the pro bowl? Why? Because the best players are the most popular players. There are usually some snubs and usually a couple that don't deserve it because they get in on past accomplishments, but the pro bowl absolutely does mean something. People who say it doesn't have no foundation for such a claim.

Hughes is a good player. I like him and want to keep him. He's just not elite. Clowney is also a good player and would be nice to have,. It hest not elite and hest about to be offered elite money. Idt rather draft and develop an edge rusher who actually produces sacks. That would take a ton of pressure off of Hughes. Granted, Clowney would take that pressure off too, but I just don't want to pay him that much.

Hang on here...

Stats are all that matters, and you want a guy that actually produces sacks and not pressures. But the best players go to the pro bowl.

So is Clowney one of the best or not? He’s never had 10 sacks in a season, but he’s made the pro bowl 3 out of the last 4 seasons...

21 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Hope they give him a huge contract

Totally agree. 

I will never understand the hype for a player that has a SINGLE 1000 yd season out of his 5 years and has only gotten over 3.9 ypc ONCE in his career. 

let the fins go ahead and pay him. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 2

58 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Totally agree. 

I will never understand the hype for a player that has a SINGLE 1000 yd season out of his 5 years and has only gotten over 3.9 ypc ONCE in his career. 

let the fins go ahead and pay him. 

...thought I read the Bolts offered $10 mil/yr but he's looking for $13 mil/yr........think he'd better keep shopping........

9 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

Not a lot of sense in delaying it. No huge congregations of people are needed to have free agency conducted as per usual. It should start as scheduled. 

I think the worry might be that teams will still need to conduct physicals from multiple players from all over the country...these players may have contracted the virus without even knowing yet...

1 hour ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Hope they give him a huge contract

I would much rather they pay him than draft Dobbins, that’s for sure. Apparently they are really interested in dobbins but I can’t see them acquiring both, though they do have high draft picks to spare. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, MJS said:

The Pro Bowl is so irrelevant today....so many players drop out that it is not a measuring stick for a players ability. Tyrod Taylor made the Pro Bowl

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, nucci said:

The Pro Bowl is so irrelevant today....so many players drop out that it is not a measuring stick for a players ability. Tyrod Taylor made the Pro Bowl

I think it still has merit when you look at the original starters and backups voted in.... once you get into alternates I agree  

6 hours ago, MJS said:

The guys that go to the pro bowl are the guys that have gone a couple times or are on the best teams.  Tyrpd Taylor was a pro bowl player multiple times.  He’s gud.  

as a fan.....it doesn’t matter who goes to the pro bowl.   The only thing I want is a super bowl win.  

just wondering how many good secondaries Clowney has played with that allows him the time to get a sack.  Answer:  none.   

Which DE are we going to draft and develop into a dominant pass rusher?  

we have a ton of money and lots of players on rookie deals.  

you don’t like Clowney.  Cool.  I get why you don’t want him.  I’ve felt similarly about several players.  I guess I just think he’s better than you do

3 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Hang on here...

Stats are all that matters, and you want a guy that actually produces sacks and not pressures. But the best players go to the pro bowl.

So is Clowney one of the best or not? He’s never had 10 sacks in a season, but he’s made the pro bowl 3 out of the last 4 seasons...

Pro Bowl doesn't mean you're elite, it means you are good. Clowney is a good player.

43 minutes ago, nucci said:

Those are the alternates. Pretty easy to discern the difference.

14 minutes ago, MJS said:

Pro Bowl doesn't mean you're elite, it means you are good. Clowney is a good player.

Those are the alternates. Pretty easy to discern the difference.

Hmmm...I though that the “best” players usually go to the pro bowl? Wouldn’t a guy that’s been there 3 out of the last 4 years be considered one of the best?

Or do “best“ and “elite” mean different things? I know that “good” and “best” mean different things.

Just very confused at where you’re going with this...

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...thought I read the Bolts offered $10 mil/yr but he's looking for $13 mil/yr........think he'd better keep shopping........

They did but we don’t know how much was guaranteed and that’s the biggest issue with him (and everyone). My guess is it wasn’t close to what he wants. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

L'Veon 2.0

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I would much rather they pay him than draft Dobbins, that’s for sure. Apparently they are really interested in dobbins but I can’t see them acquiring both, though they do have high draft picks to spare. 

Then, may the fish use their cap space and resources on multiple RBs.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, nucci said:

The pro Bowl looks good on a resume....that's about it. 

Though somehow I can't see an agent for the likes of, say TT, going into a negotiation touting this and a potential suitor taking it seriously.

1 minute ago, inaugural balls said:

The pro Bowl looks good on a resume....that's about it. 

Though somehow I can't see an agent for the likes of, say TT, going into a negotiation touting this and a potential suitor taking it seriously.

...ONLY if you're less than the 9th alternate............

• Like (+1) 1

@WerderEdESPN

New CBA means the #Cowboys have approximately 24 hours to sign Amari Cooper to avoid him becoming a free agent, assuming they sign or franchise tag Dak Prescott. And assuming NFL calendar remains in place.

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

Hmmm...I though that the “best” players usually go to the pro bowl? Wouldn’t a guy that’s been there 3 out of the last 4 years be considered one of the best?

Or do “best“ and “elite” mean different things? I know that “good” and “best” mean different things.

Just very confused at where you’re going with this...

Not only the best go. You are trying to twist my words instead of focusing on my actual argument. Good example of the straw man fallacy.

• Haha (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Heitz said:

@WerderEdESPN

New CBA means the #Cowboys have approximately 24 hours to sign Amari Cooper to avoid him becoming a free agent, assuming they sign or franchise tag Dak Prescott. And assuming NFL calendar remains in place.

This is one of the most interesting free agency story lines is the Dallas situation 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Heitz said:

@WerderEdESPN

Just saw Amari Cooper at Duffs not gonna lie. 

ranch.

• Haha (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, MJS said:

Not only the best go. You are trying to twist my words instead of focusing on my actual argument. Good example of the straw man fallacy.

I think this is more an example of someone overstating a case and trying to walk it back.

To answer your original question: yes, I have noticed that usually the best players go to the pro bowl—that’s why Clowney has been there 3 of the last 4 years.

• Like (+1) 1