Free Agency News and Updates - around the league

YoloinOhio
Message added by Hapless Bills Fan

Take the Covid19 discussion to one of the several appropriate threads dedicated to it.

I'm about to spend some time I could put to better use cleaning up the thread.

If you can't restrain yourself I will restrain you.

14 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Campbell is coming off of a 6.5 sack season, he will be 34 years old at a position where declines happen around 32/33, and he is a 15 million dollar cap hit. Not saying this isn't a good move for the Ravens but it comes with risks. If the Jags use that cap space wisely and then Campbell is shot this is a home run for the Jags.

Netting a 5th round pick for the guy that’s been the best player on the team for the last 4 years is a “home run”?

34 minutes ago, BillsMafia13 said:

I mean his only issue was smoking weed right?  Still a huge red flag dude has no will power

I think he so had alcohol issues too no? And possibly other illicit substances?

Edited by DJB

3 minutes ago, DJB said:

Ok ... i mean, yes. He does. What matters with our team is that he has an extremely poor work ethic and purposely has done things to sabotage his own development and that of his team. That absolutely would not and should not fly with this regime. 

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Ok ... i mean, yes. He does. What matters with our team is that he has an extremely poor work ethic and purposely has done things to sabotage his own development and that of his team. That absolutely would not and should not fly with this regime. 

Agreed. Hes not a process guy and clearly not a Bills type guy. 

It's nice knowing the Bills have a good culture and refuse to bend from their character to go after these guys. 

That was the old Bills. Its refreshing being the new Bills!

7 minutes ago, DJB said:

Agreed. Hes not a process guy and clearly not a Bills type guy. 

It's nice knowing the Bills have a good culture and refuse to bend from their character to go after these guys. 

That was the old Bills. Its refreshing being the new Bills!

Yep if it were just a failed test or two I truly don’t think that’s a deal breaker, especially with the new rules. He’s a whole other story and it ain’t good. 

1 hour ago, BillsMafia13 said:

I mean his only issue was smoking weed right?  Still a huge red flag dude has no will power

1 hour ago, DJB said:

Is he a football player, or Steve McCroskey from ‘Airplane!’?

2 hours ago, BillsMafia13 said:

Don’t torch me for this but now that the nfl won’t suspend players for marijuana. Is it worth looking at josh Gordon?

Technically, Gordon remains banned from the NFL despite the new drug testing rules. He has to apply for reinstatement and there's no guarantee the commish lets him back in the league.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

I think the best thing for the Bills to do is just sign their own...idk, it just seems like it would be a little unwise to take a chance on signing guys in FA that might not pass a physical...and then you’re screwed...

I'm sure that all of these FA contracts will have language written in stating "pending physical" whenever social distancing is over and COVID19 is no longer a threat. It might complicate things some but it won't screw the Bills or any other team if a contract can't be finalized.

I wonder if the “agreement in principle” clause, due to the possibly long delay of pen to paper, will result in more defaults in agreement due to buyer’s remorse? Like, someone agrees, everybody is happy and then someone else gets more, and they think “Well, that’s messed up! I’m better than they are!” and then back out of the agreement. Just a thought...

4 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

I wonder if the “agreement in principle” clause, due to the possibly long delay of pen to paper, will result in more defaults in agreement due to buyer’s remorse? Like, someone agrees, everybody is happy and then someone else gets more, and they think “Well, that’s messed up! I’m better than they are!” and then back out of the agreement. Just a thought...

Aren't most signings done by fax machines or scan and email signed agreements?

33 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

I'm sure that all of these FA contracts will have language written in stating "pending physical" whenever social distancing is over and COVID19 is no longer a threat. It might complicate things some but it won't screw the Bills or any other team if a contract can't be finalized.

But that’s where I see a potentially major problem...say the bills, along with all the other teams sign players....bills are finally able to give their physical after a month or two and the player fails...the deal then falls through and there is no one else left on the market at that position, because the bills thought they were set and didn’t need to pursue anyone else...

you have players needing offseason surgery that you might be interested in but there is just no way to be certain until the physical takes place...

1 minute ago, JaCrispy said:

But that’s where I see a potentially major problem...say the bills, along with all the other teams sign players....bills are finally able to give their physical after a month or two and the player fails...the deal then falls through and there is no one else left on the market at that position, because the bills thought they were set and didn’t need to pursue anyone else...

you have players needing offseason surgery that you might be interested in but there is just no way to be certain until the physical takes place...

Unfortunately,  that's the risk you take. Even your own players can fail a physical. It's not perfect but it's the 'new norm', at least for this league year. Caveat emptor.

31 minutes ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

Aren't most signings done by fax machines or scan and email signed agreements?

But if the agreement is contingent on a physical, then the actual in-person contact will need to be made to make the agreement binding. I’m sure there will be some legal hedging in the language to help protect against all of the “backing out” but I still wonder what the implications will be.

All deals are tentative based on passing a physical , so thats nothing new. There’s no reason a team and player can’t get a physical conducted in short order. Teams have private jets, players can get first class seats on commercial flights or even a row of seats for less $$ than that. No need to rub elbows or anything else with hundreds of other people to get things done. So much ridiculous overthinking and mindless panic over this stuff right now. The virus isn’t going away because the NFL pushes its offseason back a month. Certain things can be done “ remotely “ or whatever and then a physical to wrap things up. It doesn’t have to be 6 weeks from now either. The league could say no physicals can be completed until X dare , then no one gets an unfair advantage etc. 

• Like (+1) 1