Bills to play most of the team vs. Jets including Josh Allen

Kirby Jackson

I think its about the players practicing and preparing for the next game (Jets) and keeping the players in a routine and focused.  I don't think Allen and some others play more than a quarter or so.  

In Pats post game, McD stated that Bills didn't do well on both sides of line of scrimmage and some of their fundamentals were off.  

Too many missed tackles imo.

Edited by DCbillsfan
  • Like (+1) 3

The only player on offense that should be rested completely in my opinion are the rb's 

Give gore and singletary the day off

Let Allen play a quarter or even the half

Keep the snap counts for Brown and Beasley low

On defense its a different story as we have legitimate stars they should be rested for next week

Our bye week was early so im sure a lot of guys could use a rest

33 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

Feel compelled to pray Sunday at church no players gets hurt.

.....is that a sin ?

(definite merge thread)

I pray for all sorts of things that I should not pray for.  I have yet for a lightning bolt to strike me.   I figure if you don't ask for something then you should not expect that something to happen on its own.

• Like (+1) 1

He doesn’t say who is actually playing, or who is in the “majority” that will play (except josh) or how long so it’s a meaningless statement to me. He said nothing. You have 53 guys and 46 active. You can’t play only 24 guys. When he says the majority will play it doesn’t mean “all” and doesn’t say how long. Some guys have contracts based on games played and incentives, etc. 

• Like (+1) 2

44 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I don’t like it personally. There is NO upside imo. What do you guys think?

I worry about a stop sign blowing off in high winds and slicing me in half as I sit behind the Toyota Camry in front of me--so I get the concern.

However, for the Bills to make some noise in the playoffs, they need to continue playing defense at a high level, and get on a bit of a run on O.  I don't think that McD is of the mind that taking time off leads to performance at a high level, nor does mailing in a game to a divisional opponent.  It seems contrary to the type of intensity he likes to see. 

I do think we could see some guys off the field early, but for now, I'll trust the process but keep some extra diesel, rags and pitchforks in case we need to track down a certain Gingerbead man later. 

• Haha (+1) 1

I would have been shocked if McD had announced anything less, especially in regards to Allen. I doubt we'll see Allen run at all, and I wouldn't be surprised to see plenty of holding calls, as the O-line works to keep him safe. But, Allen's been developing week to week, and they're not done with him. It's one more game, just like @Texans will be one more game.

1 minute ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I worry about a stop sign blowing off in high winds and slicing me in half as I sit behind the Toyota Camry in front of me--so I get the concern.

However, for the Bills to make some noise in the playoffs, they need to continue playing defense at a high level, and get on a bit of a run on O.  I don't think that McD is of the mind that taking time off leads to performance at a high level, nor does mailing in a game to a divisional opponent.  It seems contrary to the type of intensity he likes to see. 

I do think we could see some guys off the field early, but for now, I'll trust the process but keep some extra diesel, rags and pitchforks in case we need to track down a certain Gingerbead man later. 

The Bills scored 31 points off of their bye week. The whole “rhythm” thing is overrated. That’s why no NFL team plays their starters in the 4th preseason game. Health is WAY more important than rhythm. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

I might be in the minority; however, I think it is the right move. 

If no injuries it was absolutely the right move.  Hindsight is gonna prove this decision.  Probably not fair to McD, but he gets paid the big bucks, right?

53 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Terrible move. If Allen gets injured then McDermott should be fired. They should treat this game as a first round bye.  Just dumb. 

I really don't think he'll use key starters for the entire game. 2-3 quarters perhaps. 

With that said, there may be an advantage to using the starters. It's a tune-up game for the playoffs, which will likely be the Texans. As a tune-up, you can also throw in some deception. Set 'em up with certain plays against the Jets, then mix it up. I realize this is done all season, but every tiny advantage is big. 

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

"Most of the team".  I guess I'll wait to see who the inactives are.

Let's hope for a couple of quick TDs to get the depth in early.

It won’t even matter who the inactives are. They need to dress 46 players. That doesn’t mean they will all play or play a lot or a little. We know nothing at this time. 

40 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It just feels to me like the juice isn’t worth the squeeze. There are a bunch of guys that absolutely wouldn’t play for me: Josh, Tre, Dawkins, Motor, Morse, Edmunds, Milano, Brown and Beasley. Those guys just don’t have the depth behind them to risk it. 

I absolutely hear what you are saying, but I will wait to pass judgement.  

The biggest difference between this game and the 4th preseason game is roster size.

The Bills May be able to rest some starters, but remember there are very limited replacements at the moment and you figure some guys with injuries are already probably going to be out - Morse, Nsekhe.  You also have guys like Hughes and Liuget with some minor injuries that you may or may not sit.  That leaves very few people you can just sit.

I would rather see them get some of the starters ready and then take them out - rather than be forced to play them with little prep time.  I would also prefer to see the majority of starters together to best protect individual players and then get them all out.  

I would hope that back-ups see 1/2 to 3/4 of the game, but remember they are not regularly playing more than a few snaps - so conditioning and timing come into play.

16 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The Bills scored 31 points off of their bye week. The whole “rhythm” thing is overrated. That’s why no NFL team plays their starters in the 4th preseason game. Health is WAY more important than rhythm. 

Yup. All the another arguments are based on feelings, not reality (save Yolo’s about contracts but even that falls on deaf ears with me: rest and health is for the betterment of the team moving into the playoffs). 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, billsfan1959 said:

I might be in the minority; however, I think it is the right move. 

Can’t survive in football cringing in worry about getting hurt

a half will be fine for the top players 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I think McDermott means what he says and says what he means. 

He said that "fundamentals" (blocking and tackling) were not "up to our standard" in the Pats game.  He didn't call him out specifically for "not up to our standard" but he did mention for a young team, the need to keep working and in response to "jitters" question, the need for Josh getting into a pregame routine that works for him.

I think McDermott wants to send the message "everything is earned" including the right to take time off instead of grinding. 

6 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

It won’t even matter who the inactives are. They need to dress 46 players. That doesn’t mean they will all play or play a lot or a little. We know nothing at this time. 

I'm looking at the fact that the inactives should have some of the players that McDermott wants to rest.

That way the "typical" inactives like Yeldon and Duke and some of the others can come in to relieve some of the starters/primary depth players.

1 hour ago, klos63 said:

Majority of the players have to play. Who would take their place? We don't have a 90 man roster.

Yep, there’s no way to sit all the starters, most of them have to play.

Allen on the other hand...

Tre White too, Id like to see both those guys sit.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

I’ve read every post in this thread, and feel someone needs to say it:  

Somebody could get hurt. 

I've read every post in this thread and none of you are wrong

Just now, MDH said:

Yep, there’s no way to sit all the starters, most of them have to play.

Allen on the other hand...

Tre White too, Id like to see both those guys sit.

Start Barkley and put Allen in for that game winning, 4th quarter drive :) 

1 hour ago, Tesla03 said:

Pretty dumb

one injury to a key player and The whole city will question McDermott and this front office 

McDermott is well aware of that.   He said yesterday he understands that whatever decision they make will be second-guessed.

57 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I think this is more that they will do their normal routine this week.  I don’t expect the starters to play more than a few series.  Even then, expect a lot of hand offs 

That would be totally pointless IMHO.   From everything McDermott said, I expect Josh to play a significant amount of time - at least the first half.  I also expect it to depend upon how he and the OL look. 

I don't believe we will see them for the whole game.

27 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I agree here. I get the turtle-shell mentality of some, though.

Yeah, I do get the concerns that many have and I agree with the premise that "if they do not play, they cannot get injured." However, I also am not a fan of fear based philosophies.

Just now, billsherd said:

Majority of the guys will have to play as there are not enough players on the roster right now to seat all the starters. Question is how long? He will never give a definite answer to that

Billions of $$ ride on an inside answer to this

I understand both sides. On one hand you don’t want a key player to get injured but on the other hand you may want continuity and momentum going into the playoffs. I air on the side of the latter. You try n get the offense going and the engine greased up for the playoffs n nobody said for how long our starters are playing for. We need that experience but it’s exciting that we are even talking about this.

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Let me just say at this point:

if Daboll calls a ***** designed QB run at any point in tomorrow's game, I will personally jump through the television screen and Squash Him Like a Bug.

that’d be ironic if Josh got clocked into outpatient on a needless run