Bills to play most of the team vs. Jets including Josh Allen

Kirby Jackson

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It just feels to me like the juice isn’t worth the squeeze. There are a bunch of guys that absolutely wouldn’t play for me: Josh, Tre, Dawkins, Motor, Morse, Edmunds, Milano, Brown and Beasley. Those guys just don’t have the depth behind them to risk it. 

I probably agree, but when looking at the culture McBeane is trying to build, sitting these guys out says to the rest of the team, (and especially the rest of the starters), "these guys are more important than you"    They are, but do you want to announce it to the world?  I realize you're talking depth,  but I think the optics are bad.

3 minutes ago, lookylookyherecomescookie said:

I probably agree, but when looking at the culture McBeane is trying to build, sitting these guys out says to the rest of the team, (and especially the rest of the starters), "these guys are more important than you"    They are, but do you want to announce it to the world?  I realize you're talking depth,  but I think the optics are bad.

I feel like a lot of people are giving McDermott the benefit of the doubt because he’s done a great job. Doing a great job and being perfect aren’t the same thing. There is no logic in this decision. Harbaugh has done a great job too and is resting his guys. Being locked into a playoff spot is a reward for a great year. Take advantage of that by making sure you’re healthy in the playoffs. Don’t risk it.

• Like (+1) 1

I can see it from both sides.  It would suck if he sat all the key players and they come out slow in the playoffs  Hopefully no injuries occur More reps in the game cant be bad for Allen  If he did sit I think he might launch his first pass a 100 yards in the playoff game from the pent up anxiety

27 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

Yup. All the another arguments are based on feelings, not reality (save Yolo’s about contracts but even that falls on deaf ears with me: rest and health is for the betterment of the team moving into the playoffs). 

I didn’t argue anything. I just said we know nothing about who will actually play from his statement because he has no choice but to play the “majority” of the team, which could be 24 guys of 46 based on numbers. The only one he mentioned by name is Allen and with him we don’t know how much but we do know barkley is also playing.  I mean he literally said this:

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

What do you guys think?

I have no problem with it.   

Every game is valuable for the young players on this team, even at the risk of injury.     Especially Josh, who needs continuity and consistency more than anything else.   

If this were some veteran bunch, like in the SB years, then yes--rest 'em.    But the core of the team are young guys who need to go through the whole range of experiences in their development curve... 

They could play the entire game with an offensive lineup of:

Barkley

Yeldon/Perry

Sweeney

Duke/Roberts/Foster

Bates-Boettger-Long-Mongo-Ford

That would expose only 2 starters.

Defensively it's a bit tougher, but you could roll with Stanford and Thompson at LB, and make sure Johnson gets the highest number of reps at DE. Don't bother dressing Tre, and let Marlowe/Neal/Coleman take the safety reps.

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

Barkley

Yeldon/Perry

Sweeney

Duke/Roberts/Foster

Defensively it's a bit tougher, but you could roll with Stanford and Thompson at LB, and make sure Johnson gets the highest number of reps at DE. Don't bother dressing Tre, and let Marlowe/Neal/Coleman take the safety reps.

Thank you for going in depth.

McD’s statement is only true by definition. The Bills could protect every player of importance if they so decided. That’s not even debatable and in my opinion they should.

5 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Barkley

Yeldon/Perry

Sweeney

Duke/Roberts/Foster

Matt might not survive.

Related image

The only upside I could see to this is giving Allen a chance to stand in the pocket and practice pocket passing, accuracy, etc.  I hope they are telling him not to run at all even if there is a wide open hole and certainly to go down at even the first sign of contact coming towards him.