Do we rest the starters next week?

bills6969

9 minutes ago, krf139 said:

If Barkley throws for 350 yards, maybe McD pulls a Wade Phillips and starts him in the playoff game 

No....Terry Pegula would pull a Ralph Wilson.

”Hey Sean....start that Barkley kid over Josh.  I’m paying him a lot of money!”

Edited by Phil The Thrill

52 minutes ago, wagon127 said:

I think our starters play a quarter of a half, and then rest in the 2nd half.

There is no reason at all to play any starter at all.  Barkley, Perry, Yeldon, Duke, Foster, Roberts, Kroft, Lee Smith...that should be your skill position guys on offense. No Tre, no Milano, No Edmunds, no Hyde, no Poyer on defense.

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

There is no reason at all to play any starter at all.  Barkley, Perry, Yeldon, Duke, Foster, Roberts, Kroft, Lee Smith...that should be your skill position guys on offense. No Tre, no Milano, No Edmunds, no Hyde, no Poyer on defense.

Our third win against brady, was in a game where he played a quarter and a half tho. So some coaches will still do this. Just to keep the players fresh. Im fine with either decision mcdermott makes. Just dont play our starters the whole game

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, wagon127 said:

Our third win against brady, was in a game where he played a quarter and a half tho. So some coaches will still do this. Just to keep the players fresh. Im fine with either decision mcdermott makes. Just dont play our starters the whole game

Allen or Singletary or White could get hurt on the first play of the game. There’s no reason for them to be out there. First off, we can win with our backups anyway. Second off, it doesn’t matter either way

• Like (+1) 1

What's perhaps more important than who plays is that we use this game to try and work on some things we rarely, if ever, use or do, such as screen passes, throws to running backs, passing on first and/or second down, and generally being less predictable.  But given the mindset of our coaching staff, that's all likely a pipe dream.

It would also be wise to get Barkley and guys like Yeldon and Williams some work, and rest anyone who's banged up.

• Like (+1) 1

I'd literally bench allen, beasly, brown, Singletary on offense. Still play knox Kroft gore mczenzie foster and start the normal line minus morse cause of his injury. Have yeldon play duke Williams play 

Defense I'd bench Hughes, Phillips lorenzo, trey white. Keep Edmunds to play a half, play oliver to show some leadership possibilities, play hyde and poyer.

In a nut shell

Whatever it takes to knock the rust off of Duke & TJ....

17 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Yes.  And start game planning for Houston. 

I’ll add that i also would use the game to see if I ever need to dress McKenzie again.  He’s not good enough to get away with not knowing where to line up. 

Players like Smith, Dimarco, Perry, Foster & McKenzie are useless. 

Edited by LABILLBACKER

None of them had significant offensive snaps besides McKenzie, who lined up wrong twice in the fourth quarter.  If foster looks like he can handle mckenzies role this week it’s time to scratch 19 for someone who might actually be able to line up properly. 

We just played three of the best defenses in the league, in a row, with two on the road.   All three games were mentally & physically exhausting. 

Rest everybody.  

No need to risk injury to any key offensive players and the defense looked like a shell of themselves today.   Get everyone their legs back under them. 

Edited by SCBills

If someone is banged up then rest him.  If not this team can use the practice. Get them a few series like a playoff game anyhow.  Also, there is zero reason to not have Duke on the field this game.  McKenzie and Foster contribute almost nothing.  There is no reason not to give this guy a chance.  Same with Yeldon.

Edited by Scott7975

Yes. Playoffs, baby, brand new season. The Chiefs or Texans are scary and they matter right now not the Jets, as much as I hate them. Rest up and be sharp.

3 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Might as well after crapping the bed today.

How crazy two weeks in the NFL can be. Apparently some actually started to think that the Patriots are bad now, or on the downswing, or something? We just went into Foxboro and lost by a TD in a 4-quarter game, and our young QB threw 2 TDs with no interceptions on their turf. Chin up, there's work to be done but this is far from over. And that John Brown TD was beautiful.

Edited by Nelius

56 minutes ago, Nelius said:

Yes. Playoffs, baby, brand new season. The Chiefs or Texans are scary and they matter right now not the Jets, as much as I hate them. Rest up and be sharp.

How crazy two weeks in the NFL can be. Apparently some actually started to think that the Patriots are bad now, or on the downswing, or something? We just went into Foxboro and lost by a TD in a 4-quarter game, and our young QB threw 2 TDs with no interceptions on their turf. Chin up, there's work to be done but this is far from over. And that John Brown TD was beautiful.

Not using the no huddle is why we lost this game. Its one thing to lose to a good team it another when you deliberately hold yourself back in some misguided view of burning the clock all game.

No brainer. Most key ones shouldn't even take the field. It will be good for backups to get some significant reps right before the playoffs in case a starter goes down in the playoffs

Edited by matter2003

5 hours ago, njbuff said:

Rest the starters for what? So they can go one and done in the playoffs anyways.

Did you watch that defensive effort today? 450 yards to a struggling offense and piss poor tackling of epic proportions today?

They would have earned the rest with a solid effort, but they play the Jets game, period.

Defense was piss poor.

Absolutely agree.

But honestly, I just think the Patriots were able to exploit what our glaring weaknesses on D have been all year.

Our defense is very good, but overrated.

Our offense, oddly, carried the day. But Allen needs reps and I think I'd be worried about resting him. Rest Gore and John Brown and minimize Singletary's load by playing Yeldon and maybe and keep Neschke out another week, but I think you generally play everyone.

The thing I dislike about Daboll's weekly gameplan is how much he protects Allen and then just expects him to make the big play at random moments without trying to get him into any kinda rhythm whatsoever as a passer.

For that reason, I think Allen needs to play. He needs the reps.

I'd think houston and bills rest starters and prepare for each other now that everything seems locked up, if bills won chances at bye  would of been super slim anyways with ne vs mia and kc vs soft teams and wasted on playoff prep

Edited by motorj