MNF: Once the best, now the worst show on TV

PromoTheRobot

I havent said anything because, honestly, im torn on booger.

I think he is awful and makes me cringe

On the other hand, he seems truly excited to be watching the game, and it comes across on my tv.  He is unique.  I can watch 10 games and not tell you anything about the color guy... but booger puts his stamp on the game and is not a robot. 

It was obnoxious and puzzling when he pleaded with "america" twice to not put tight ends 1 on 1 with elite pass rushers... but looking back, it is also funny and memorable 

Edited by May Day 10
  • Like (+1) 3

I think the play by play guy is worse than Booger and I agree with the Guardian article - MNF hasn't been the same quality of broadcast since Mike Tirico left. Gruden worked well with whereas he dominated the replacement and this pair is a mess. Although I actually think slightly less than when Witten was in the booth and Booger was sitting in that stupid high chair. At lease Booger is funny (though not always intentionally) Jason Witten was absurdly bad. Dull, uninteresting and often wrong.

This is a pretty hilarious and spot-on article. Loved this:

He sounds like he’s started a sentence and has no idea where it’s going to end. On Monday, McFarland officially entered the Biden Zone. At this point, you don’t really care what he says, you’re just hoping he can stumble his way to a coherent conclusion.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I have not watched more than 20 minutes of MNF is a very long time.  

when you flood it with the same old ****  it gets boring.   1 good game in 10 will do that 

1 minute ago, row_33 said:

it was always overrated, we only had 3 channels and 3 newspapers of record and they dictated whatever narrative they chose

Man You ARE old !!!!!!!   

I had 5 when I was a kid :D :D :D 

I used to enjoy listening to Booger when he was on Sirius in the morning with Ross Tucker.  He was funny and always had some good insights into the game.  But he does not really fit into the format of a three hour game where there are just two guys having to fill in time talking about just that game.  He gets repetitive and states the obvious way too much.  They really need to make a change (again) to make MNF relevant and watchable. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

I have not watched more than 20 minutes of MNF is a very long time.  

when you flood it with the same old ****  it gets boring.   1 good game in 10 will do that 

Man You ARE old !!!!!!!   

I had 5 when I was a kid :D :D :D 

had to get Dad a beer and change the channel

when the plastic channel dial broke had to use pliers to change the channel

• Like (+1) 3

Booger is terrible.  I can't sit and watch the game.  I keep in on in the background and do other things, checking periodically.  

He's impossible to listen to.  His voice is annoying.  His pitch raises to the level of a 4-year-old girl if he gets excited.  And he's clearly not the sharpest tool in the shed.

This is worse than the Dennis Miller experiment, which was the last time I found MNF unwatchable.

How ***** hard can it be to find two people who are good at this job?????

We've gotten to the point in my house as I turn on MNF that my wife will inevitably ask "Are you going to spend the next three hours bitching about the announcers again?"

Even the ref in the booth is handled poorly because he suddenly jumps in with some incredibly obvious comment, but they never intro him like every other broadcast. "Let's bring in Gene to give us his thoughts on that call." The MNF ref almost has to comment on a ball placement because it's like the booth forgets him, and he feels like he needs to say something to earn his paycheck.

We need another Cosell.

2 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

It was obnoxious and puzzling when he pleaded with "america" twice to not put tight ends 1 on 1 with elite pass rushers... but looking back, it is also funny and memorable 

LOL. I'll be honest, I thought I somehow backed up a little bit by mistake and was re-watching what I had already seen. Then I realized he just repeated himself word for word.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

We've gotten to the point in my house as I turn on MNF that my wife will inevitably ask "Are you going to spend the next three hours bitching about the announcers again?"

Even the ref in the booth is handled poorly because he suddenly jumps in with some incredibly obvious comment, but they never intro him like every other broadcast. "Let's bring in Gene to give us his thoughts on that call." The MNF ref almost has to comment on a ball placement because it's like the booth forgets him, and he feels like he needs to say something to earn his paycheck.

We need another Cosell.

We need "Look at that little monkey run!" ?!?

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I attribute this to ESPN ! You can't improve on perfection & when ESPN got greedy they had to put the most watched game every week since Howard, Dandy Don, & Frank were the announcers on a cable network & let Al Micheal's go to NBC they screwed them selves terribly !!

Now Sunday night football is the game of the week end & will be until Al calls it quits then the NFL as we know it will never be the same ! Buck & Aikman are a good pair but all the classic NFL announcers are almost gone with Micheal's being the last of the greats !!

I'm not sure who can pick up the slack especially seeing as Costas has pissed someone off some where in a high ranking seat but i'n sure they will find someone to fill the role but the will Never replace this guys !!

And i bet there is someone at ESPN that is regretting the day they ever let Micheal's walk & changed the format from free TV to cable ...

• Like (+1) 1

Eh,  i don't really care about the announcers.  I mostly have the sound low and keep an eye on the game while I'm doing something else.  I will say that this crew doesn't make any game feel like a "big game".  Having them in the booth it just feels like any other Sunday 1pm game...not a big event.

2 hours ago, IDBillzFan said:

We need another Cosell.

I can't stand them either!   However, we don't need an another announcer saying "look at that monkey run"...   OJ to Cosell, Howard, you have an astute vision of the obvious...

I do however miss the Don Meredith days with the "good night the parties over" singing. There have been some memorable MNF crews and this current one is bar far one of the very worst. ESPN has made a mess of things. 

I liked Keith Jackson, Frank Gifford, Al Michaels and now i sorta miss "chucky" in the booth. They need a new crew.