McDermott on no trades: "There have been too many years of irresponsible decision-making, let's just put it that way."

YoloinOhio

7 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I think Whaley would have been awesome with McDermott given some of the offensive talent he found. 

1 minute ago, Happy Gilmore said:

If somehow we could have Whaley's pro personnel talent evaluation coupled with Beane's drafting, we would be all set personnel wise.

We may be in the minority; however, I agree. I would love to have Whaley on this staff. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, CommonCents said:

Bleh. We still love you but you’re not in a place to be making that statement. Unless of course that wasn’t just a cheap shot at previous regimes but also an admission that you wasted real NFL snaps on Nate Peterman.

You also couldn’t stop yourself from signing Star even when all evidence said he was trending downward. 

Win a playoff game then you can say whatever you want without me ranting.

The Nathan Peterman decision tells me he has no clue on offense and is the biggest mistake he's made since he's been here.

However, how's the defense been in totality since Star has gotten here?

13 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

The 2014 Bills would be 6-1 playing this year's schedule, would probably end up 13-3, and they would have MUD STOMPED the Dolphins if not the Jets, Giants, and Bengals too.

Ah, the benefits of an All-Pro EDGE player. And folks say Von Miller wouldn’t have helped us.

3 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

The Nathan Peterman decision tells me he has no clue on offense and is the biggest mistake he's made since he's been here.

However, how's the defense been in totality since Star has gotten here?

I don’t understand the logic. How much better would the team be if they better spent Star’s money and paid minimal for a replacement level player? That’s team building. The reason that signing was so bad is because it seemed inevitable. A big name Carolina player becoming a UFA for a position of need!? 

Benjamin and Star are two guys that both the coach and GM had first hand knowledge of. They both should have known better, the fact they didn’t is alarming. I love OBD now compared to how and who it was before but let’s not act like that isn’t a concern set of events. 

31 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Whaley isn’t close to as bad as you make him out to be.  Compare this roster with the 2015 one.  That was an awesome team. 

2 #1s (including a #9) and a 4th for a receiver when we had no quarterback CB. I mean seriously......

The man gave away the store. He had no business holding the GM position.

Tell me please.....if he was any good, dontcha think someone else would have hired him?

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, CommonCents said:

I don’t understand the logic. How much better would the team be if they better spent Star’s money and paid minimal for a replacement level player? That’s team building. The reason that signing was so bad is because it seemed inevitable. A big name Carolina player becoming a UFA for a position of need!? 

Benjamin and Star are two guys that both the coach and GM had first hand knowledge of. They both should have known better, the fact they didn’t is alarming. I love OBD now compared to how and who it was before but let’s not act like that isn’t a concern set of events. 

Benjamin was a horrible trade while Star is exactly who they thought he would be (a selfless space eater who holds his ground while taking up double teams so other DT's can shine) so I wouldn't lump the two together.  We pry paid more than we should've for Star but we're not exactly in salary cap trouble.

2 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

So he either bad-mouthed previous administrations, or Brandon Beane and himself, or both. Not sure that was necessary. 

I really have no idea what his statement is supposed to mean.

And is he implying that past poor decisions mean current good decisions can't be made?

I don't really like McD as a person or a coach, so I don't give him the benefit of the doubt with this stuff.

Seems like a weird comment for him to make.  Especially as he is so conservative and scared to speak his mind.

Just now, Nextmanup said:

And is he implying that past poor decisions mean current good decisions can't be made?

I don't really like McD as a person or a coach, so I don't give him the benefit of the doubt with this stuff.

Seems like a weird comment for him to make.  Especially as he is so conservative and scared to speak his mind.

It did seem out of character for him. I don't think he consulted the English-Coachspeak/Coachspeak-English dictionary.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Yup. McCoy. Terrible trade. Jerry Hughes. So bad. Stanley Cup champion and playoff champ O’Reilly. What a joke.  Vezina finalist Robin Lehner. What a joke!  30 goal scorer Kane! Hilarious.

we need to make better decisions like trading up for Zay; passing on Mahomes; 2 picks for KB; and trading for Jordan Matthews!

You can't POSSIBLY be this ignorant.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

He didn't say anything.  If he had balls, he'd have either said, "this team was set behind years by the previous GM and HC," or said, "Brandon Beane and I have already made bad decisions and we're trying to avoid making more," or both.

But he said neither.

His wording is cryptic and weak, if you ask me.

So far behind he made the playoffs the first year.

12 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

It did seem out of character for him. I don't think he consulted the English-Coachspeak/Coachspeak-English dictionary.

I’m not usually overeactionary but I wonder if Pegs will have a word with him. Considering he signed off on those decisions! Oops

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I applaud your honesty.

It was out of character for McDermott to comment the way he did.

I still believe it was frustration from the Eagles loss on top of constant questions no doubt about possible trades.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

So he either bad-mouthed previous administrations, or Brandon Beane and himself, or both. Not sure that was necessary. 

Definitely not necessary, but (at least to me) much welcomed.  I think McD is getting a little salty and I'm hoping that's a good thing.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’m not usually overeactionary but I wonder if Pegs will have a word with him. Considering he signed off on those decisions! Oops

Sean, bosses want to see you...and bring your coachspeak book...

Edited by JoeF

Here we go again...... If you believe in The Process McClappity is bang on.....

This 5 year plan will soon be 6-8 and then they'll be a new set of excuses.

The offense makes no banes that it is about 17 points, no mistakes (penalties are fine, turnovers are not) and the defense being elite.

And again we line up on opposite sides.  Those behind The Process applaud him, others shake their head & think :More of the Same".....  

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Here we go again...... If you believe in The Process McClappity is bang on.....

This 5 year plan will soon be 6-8 and then they'll be a new set of excuses.

The offense makes no banes that it is about 17 points, no mistakes (penalties are fine, turnovers are not) and the defense being elite.

And again we line up on opposite sides.  Those behind The Process applaud him, others shake their head & think :More of the Same".....  

right... on the way to double digits wins and our 2nd playoff berth in 3 years. just "more of the same"..... oh wait.... except that's literally the exact opposite of what the organization has done since 99.

you continue to impress.

• Haha (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

2 #1s (including a #9) and a 4th for a receiver when we had no quarterback CB. I mean seriously......

The man gave away the store. He had no business holding the GM position.

Tell me please.....if he was any good, dontcha think someone else would have hired him?

A lot of that is hindsight.  He went all in for his qb and tried to give him the pieces to succeed.  Sammy was one of the best college receivers in modern history.  Our receivers were Watkins, Woods, Hogan, and Goodwin. I would kill for that collection right now.

and nfl hiring is a joke. It’s basically who’s your dad (Andy Reid’s former drug addict son is a d line coach and the Ryans ) or who you are buddies with (Daboll is friends with Polian’s son).  He is in the xfl right now.  He clearly had his faults but to act like a guy who averaged 8 wins for a Bills franchise that has been morbid for 20 years is kinda dishonest, 

do you believe we are more talented now than in 2015?

• Like (+1) 2

Wasn't the question specifically about trade deadline trades?  The only trade deadline ***** I can think of is for Benjamin I guess.  Although he did score a TD in the Snow Bowl which if he hadn't we probably lose and miss the playoffs again.

So  I'm not sure where he's coming from.

5 minutes ago, eball said:

Definitely not necessary, but (at least to me) much welcomed.  I think McD is getting a little salty and I'm hoping that's a good thing.

That’s interesting.  Personally what I hate about the “process” (which they stole from the 76ers) is it hides them from blame.  They can kept deflecting and saying they need more time because they had to “rebuild.”

they are 5-2 and should easily make the playoffs.  No more excuses. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

right... on the way to double digits wins and our 2nd playoff berth in 3 years. just "more of the same"..... oh wait.... except that's literally the exact opposite of what the organization has done since 99.

you continue to impress.

5 wins (four of which against teams with a grand total of 3 wins)...... And a signature win 14-7 over Tennessee.....  Glass half full.....

He did not take over a 4 win team.....  He took over a team that had gone 9-7, 8-8 and 7-9 (where they last in OT week 16 or too could have made the playoffs)......

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, eball said:

Depends on how it affects him. Some people, maybe the majority, operate worse when they are angry. For others it's a good motivator.

And some, who seem under control, really aren't. Marv is a great example of a guy who seems from afar to be so professorial and even keeled, and he was a salty screamer.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Billsfan1972 said:

5 wins (four of which against teams with a grand total of 3 wins)...... And a signature win 14-7 over Tennessee.....  Glass half full.....

He did not take over a 4 win team.....  He took over a team that had gone 9-7, 8-8 and 7-9 (where they last in OT week 16 or too could have made the playoffs)......

That’s why it’s such BS to try and blame the previous regime.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Billsfan1972 said:

they took over a 7 win team and the very next year snuck into the playoffs while unloading riff raff and freeing up money. they are now gonna go ahead and win double digits with 90 mil going into the offseason. get a clue man....

and leave it to @C.Biscuit97 to most likely be the ONE person to actually like your post. that dude has been slobbin all over whaley since the day he left. 

3 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

That’s why it’s such BS to try and blame the previous regime.  

no blame. couldn't care less about them. they're gone. this ones better...… you have some odd allegiance to whaley. its really sorta weird.

• Haha (+1) 4