McDermott on no trades: "There have been too many years of irresponsible decision-making, let's just put it that way."

YoloinOhio

That's the first clear-cut, no BS statement he's ever made and I applaud him for it.

Just because you have money in your pocket, doesn't mean you have to go out and buy a Porsche or Benz....you can hold that money to assure future signings of your own elite, uninjured, non-headcase players.

(No offense to the Versa Note owners on this board....ahem, @Gugny...ahem)

• Like (+1) 12
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

So he either bad-mouthed previous administrations, or Brandon Beane and himself, or both. Not sure that was necessary. 

Nix and Whaley made dumb decisions. We also did, but we've learned from it.

- McD, kind of

Oh, and Russ Brandon. The beacon of good decisionmaking. 

Edited by BuffaloHokie13

He didn't say anything.  If he had balls, he'd have either said, "this team was set behind years by the previous GM and HC," or said, "Brandon Beane and I have already made bad decisions and we're trying to avoid making more," or both.

But he said neither.

His wording is cryptic and weak, if you ask me.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Bleh. We still love you but you’re not in a place to be making that statement. Unless of course that wasn’t just a cheap shot at previous regimes but also an admission that you wasted real NFL snaps on Nate Peterman.

You also couldn’t stop yourself from signing Star even when all evidence said he was trending downward. 

Win a playoff game then you can say whatever you want without me ranting.

• Like (+1) 3

15 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Whaley's trades for players:

Kelvin Sheppard for Jerry Hughes

Kiko Alonso for Lesean McCoy

A fifth and a seventh for Matt Cassel and a sixth

Trade deadline trades: I'm fairly certain the number under Whaley was zero. 

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

What move has this team made other than KB? So not sure what McD is talking about unless he is putting down his current GM. Funny that a lot of the positive talk on Beane has been his willingness to take chances and make trades. 

Edited by ngbills
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Gugny said:

He didn't say anything.  If he had balls, he'd have either said, "this team was set behind years by the previous GM and HC," or said, "Brandon Beane and I have already made bad decisions and we're trying to avoid making more," or both.

But he said neither.

If he blames the previous admin it looks like an excuse. If he blames Beane, it strains relationships. If he blames himself, he looks incompetent. 

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Whaley's trades for players:

Kelvin Sheppard for Jerry Hughes

Kiko Alonso for Lesean McCoy

A fifth and a seventh for Matt Cassel and a sixth

Trade deadline trades: I'm fairly certain the number under Whaley was zero. 

Also a 4th for a RB whose name escapes me.

There may have been others.

Also, if Whaley gets credit for Hughes he has to also take the blame for EJ.

Just now, quinnearlysghost88 said:

If he blames the previous admin it looks like an excuse. If he blames Beane, it strains relationships. If he blames himself, he looks incompetent. 

Yep. Dont like this look at all. Just say there was nothing compelling and we like the players we have. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

That's the first clear-cut, no BS statement he's ever made and I applaud him for it.

Just because you have money in your pocket, doesn't mean you have to go out and buy a Porsche or Benz....you can hold that money to assure future signings of your own elite, uninjured, non-headcase players.

(No offense to the Versa Note owners on this board....ahem, @Gugny...ahem)

Thats right. Why buy the Porsche when you can buy 13 Versa Notes? 

Just now, quinnearlysghost88 said:

Well this would a good time for him to take a page of out the Bill Belichick guide to speaking to the media.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Rob's House said:

That wasn't a trade for a player, however. That's the issue. Also, with regard to Manuel, at least they traded down before taking him. They netted Alonso out of that, which they later turned into McCoy. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, In Summary said:

I think McDermott would fess up to Benjamin if asked directly.

Yep.  I think he admitted as much. The guy was once a good nfl player. Even KC kicked the tires on him. 

The bills offense would be way better with a 2014 Benjamin...  

not sure why he lost his mojo. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Gugny said:

But he said neither.

Nobody asked you so zip it ?

• Haha (+1) 1

What it says to me is that previous regimes sucked at their jobs, and this team has likely one or two more drafts before they are who we want them to be. A good number of fans will not wrap their collective heads around this reality, and will whine insensately for the duration of this season at a minimum.  SM envisions a Steelers/Pats type of team organization and he knows we are not there yet.  I get it, and am willing to wait, we still likely make the playoffs this year so we got that.

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

PS - Bryce Brown is who you're thinking of.  They did give up a 4th. He didn't work out. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Yep.  I think he admitted as much. The guy was once a good nfl player. Even KC kicked the tires on him. 

The bills offense would be way better with a 2014 Benjamin...  

not sure why he lost his mojo. 

Probably because he weighs 371 pounds.  Hes on the Jared Lorenzen diet.  The last KB sighting he was riding around a WalMart on a rascal.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

That wasn't a trade for a player, however. That's the issue. Also, with regard to Manuel, at least they traded down before taking him. They netted Alonso out of that, which they later turned into McCoy. 

Not to mention that EJ was really a Nix pick. There is no indication that Nix did anything in the Hughes trade, although it is possible. He was already out the door. He wasn't going to leave before getting a QB and he wanted EJ (amongst all of the other crappy choices). and you're absolutely right about the trade down and result.