Josh Gordon is about to be available

HappyDays

All this speculation is for naught. If he goes on waivers chances are he doesn't get to us.

The Patriots are expected to waive Gordon off injured reserve once he’s cleared, according to Ian Rapoport of the NFL, allowing Gordon to play with another team this season. If they waive him after Tuesday’s trade deadline, Gordon would be subject to waivers.

That would improve New England’s chances of keeping Gordon away from an AFC competitor with the worst teams getting the first shots at waiver claims.

24 minutes ago, BILLSCRAZY3024 said:

Personally I’d rather look into stealing AJ Green. Money talks and everyone is for sale in this league.Go after AJ so we can have a true number 1 

Can't get on board with this. Until I see something or some link saying the Bengals will consider something less than a 1st Round Pick, I say NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

11 hours ago, Bruffalo said:

I'd jump on that in a heartbeat.  Not only does he have knowledge of the Patriots playbook, arguably our biggest competition this season, he's a phenomenal player when healthy.  Him opposite John Brown would be killer.

and New England who  are short wide outs ...are releasing him. They dion't let too many go that can still play, or how about any.  His terrific player when healthy days are getting to be further and further back. Buyer beware

2 hours ago, Sundancer said:

Pats have sanu now with Harry set to return off Ir. Gordon expendable. 

and WHO in their right mind would want 3 or 4 good wide outs? in todays NFL  if he could still play at a high level the Patriots would not be releasing him

10 hours ago, NoSaint said:

he doesn’t have to be all pro but if you can put him outside, and take some pressure off brown/beasley the whole unit should be better at little to no expense 

i was hoping they would use foster to do that....but then again if josh can't start connecting...

13 hours ago, BILLSCRAZY3024 said:

No thank you on Gordon. He has drug issues and is starting to get hurt a lot more now. Not worth the $$$ or draft pick. Pass on this off field problem. I wished Beane got off his beane bag and traded for Sanu when he was available. Now Patsies got him and the rich continues to get richer. UGH! 

Wasnt aware we had to give up a draft pick to sign a FA.?

6 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

All this speculation is for naught. If he goes on waivers chances are he doesn't get to us.

The Patriots are expected to waive Gordon off injured reserve once he’s cleared, according to Ian Rapoport of the NFL, allowing Gordon to play with another team this season. If they waive him after Tuesday’s trade deadline, Gordon would be subject to waivers.

That would improve New England’s chances of keeping Gordon away from an AFC competitor with the worst teams getting the first shots at waiver claims.

Can't get on board with this. Until I see something or some link saying the Bengals will consider something less than a 1st Round Pick, I say NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

Does he not have enough time to avoid waivers.

29 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Wasnt aware we had to give up a draft pick to sign a FA.?

Does he not have enough time to avoid waivers.

Per PFT:

• Like (+1) 1

Over the last 5 years he has averaged like 20 catches, 300 yards and a TD.   He cannot make it with the Patriots/Brady.    I get it, he is talented (or at one time he was.) but he cannot be trusted to live up to it.   I don't think we want this team to take this guy on, I don't see why.  Even if he were to work out, the chances of a relapse are sky high.

14 minutes ago, mattynh said:

Over the last 5 years he has averaged like 20 catches, 300 yards and a TD.   He cannot make it with the Patriots/Brady.    I get it, he is talented (or at one time he was.) but he cannot be trusted to live up to it.   I don't think we want this team to take this guy on, I don't see why.  Even if he were to work out, the chances of a relapse are sky high.

And yet they wanted AB in a trade so obviously the Bills feel their locker room (and I would agree) can take on a player like Gordon. And would only cost a contract. Of course likely won’t happen because we are sitting near the end of waiver priority. 

1 hour ago, billsbackto81 said:

Per PFT:

Thanks

quick question, can you trade for a guy who is on someone else's IR? And if so, can you put him on active roster right away and not count as one of your two IR returnees?

19 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

And yet they wanted AB in a trade so obviously the Bills feel their locker room (and I would agree) can take on a player like Gordon. And would only cost a contract. Of course likely won’t happen because we are sitting near the end of waiver priority. 

Outside of his addiction issues and resultant behavior, i have never heard Josh is a bad teammate or a bad dude...and he seems to have been clean now for a good while

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Yeah he’ll go through waivers, the Cheats will make sure of it, meaning he’ll end up in Cincinnati or Miami or the Giants.  If he were a free agent I’d certainly try to sign him but it’s a moot (mute) point.

If I understand the process correctly they just have to wait until after the trade deadline passes and then he will be subjected to waivers. That’s exactly what the Patriots will do. He will ask in good faith and for his own well-being to be able to pick his situation. I doubt that they allow that. 

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

So now they wanted AB? Cause when something negative is said about the Bills and AB, it was 'they just checked in on him and weren't serious in making a deal'

16 hours ago, TheBrownBear said:

Very strange.  Pats must view Sanu and/or Harry as better options than Gordon at this point.  If not that, then there's hints of personal problems again.  Either way, that doesn't make me very eager to see him in a Bills uniform.

I'm thinking Belichick didn't like that he couldn't, or wouldn't, play through bruises.

If there are no personal problems to be found, I think the Bills should at least bring him in for an interview. 

16 hours ago, TheBrownBear said:

Very strange.  Pats must view Sanu and/or Harry as better options than Gordon at this point.  If not that, then there's hints of personal problems again.  Either way, that doesn't make me very eager to see him in a Bills uniform.

This is what makes me wary too. The Pats are essentially cutting him and they RARELY let guys walk unless they know theyre cooked. Im suspicuous that something is going on which makes me hesitant to want to sign him.

Doubt that he will be available to us but if he is and if he's healthy and clean the Bills would be fools to pass on the opportunity IMO.

He's 28 years old and still amongst the most talented of receivers (AJ is 32 and is injured). He's big, he's fast, has a wide catch radius and great hands. Last year he was on track for another 1000 yard season, or close to, before injury. Pats had a second round tender on him coming into this year. Again assuming he's healthy and has been a good citizen I'd be all over it in a heartbeat if we have a shot. 

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

quick question, can you trade for a guy who is on someone else's IR? And if so, can you put him on active roster right away and not count as one of your two IR returnees?

I believe you can trade for a player on IR and put him on your active roster. 

But that would be a risk, and obviously take up a valuable roster spot with a guy who can't play

I doubt the Pats will let him go before deadline, but if they do, it would be downright idiotic to not kick the tires and make a shot on offering a short term prove it deal with seriously generous performance incentives for him.  If he can earn it on the field, he will deserve it. If he doesn't perform or has issues that cause him to be sanctioned by the NFL,  there would be no major loss  to the Bills. High Rewards/Low Risk potential to the team. And no draft picks at risk.  We have plenty of cash and cap to offer a very generous performance based incentive rest of season deal.

Lets get real here, he's not goingnto be released until after the trade deadline so he has to clear waivers, they aren't dumb enough to let him go now so he can sign some where that might hurt them.  Nothing to lose by holding him a week.

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Yes, I want him.

No, he wont make it to us through waivers.

But just because a team tries to sign him through waivers, does that mean he MUST sign with them? Cant he decide where he plays through contract negotiation?

Waive claim means you takenover his current contract.  He's a FA next year, so he can do what he wants then, but for now, whoever claims him, keeps his rights for the year.

If there's that much interest in him, maybe the Pats will trade him.  We sent Bodine to them, maybe there is an outside chance they would entertain an offer for him. If so I'd make a move for a 4th or so to get him befire he gets claimed, but I have a feeling im not the only guy that thinks that and the other 16 are GMs in the NFC.

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

If I understand the process correctly they just have to wait until after the trade deadline passes and then he will be subjected to waivers. That’s exactly what the Patriots will do. He will ask in good faith and for his own well-being to be able to pick his situation. I doubt that they allow that. 

Agreed. And yet if he and his agent say the same thing to prospective crappy teams that may want to claim him they may not pick him or may allow that. I doubt a team will claim Josh Gordon that he doesn't want to play for. He may be in a unique position. 

Just now, Kelly the Dog said:

Agreed. And yet if he and his agent say the same thing to prospective crappy teams that may want to claim him they may not pick him or may allow that. I doubt a team will claim Josh Gordon that he doesn't want to play for. He may be in a unique position. 

Any team claiming him will be investing nothing so threats of holding out won't phase anyone.

I thought a vested veteran with 4 NFL accrued seasons is NOT subject to waivers? Isn’t a waiver of a veteran considered an immediate release?? How many seasons does Josh Gordon have?

Edited by Codyny13

3 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I hope so and not just for selfish reasons. That guy has been through hell. I hope that every team cares enough about the person to at least consider what’s best for him. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Waive claim means you takenover his current contract.  He's a FA next year, so he can do what he wants then, but for now, whoever claims him, keeps his rights for the year.

Ah, that's right, thanks. I totally blanked on that part. Dammit!