Josh Gordon is about to be available

HappyDays

16 minutes ago, Doc said:

Any team claiming him will be investing nothing so threats of holding out won't phase anyone.

I'm not talking money. The only possible way any team wants Josh Gordon on their team is if they truly believe he is all in, is not going to have any off the field issues, etc. if he tells them beforehand I'm not all in, I don't want to play for you I don't think they do it. Another player says that they say tough toenails. 

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Yes, I want him.

No, he wont make it to us through waivers.

But just because a team tries to sign him through waivers, does that mean he MUST sign with them? Cant he decide where he plays through contract negotiation?

No he gets claimed in waivers he is the teams.  They are essentially claiming the Patriots Contract

1 hour ago, apuszczalowski said:

So now they wanted AB? Cause when something negative is said about the Bills and AB, it was 'they just checked in on him and weren't serious in making a deal'

There was a trade in place, it has been confirmed many places and AB would not have reported

2 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

And yet they wanted AB in a trade so obviously the Bills feel their locker room (and I would agree) can take on a player like Gordon. And would only cost a contract. Of course likely won’t happen because we are sitting near the end of waiver priority. 

so you think AB would have worked out well?

45 minutes ago, TheElectricCompany said:

We will not get anywhere going through NE's trash heap. 

He was last good in 2013! 

Well if we signed Gordon AND Kaepernick, we might have a shot at Super Bowl 48.

What about Aldon Smith to beef up the LBs?

• Haha (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, mattynh said:

so you think AB would have worked out well?

No, but I do think Gordon would on what is remaining on his contract.  He hasnt been an issue in NE, and seems to have the addiction thing controlled at this point.  And I do think we have the type of Lockerroom that Gordon will need

Edited by MAJBobby

I mean Josh Gordon is an obvious yes if you get the chance. He’s an elite talent that instantly upgrades our group. The cost is minimal and there is no pick associated with it. He’s the type of guy that can win you a game. 

4 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I'll pass on Gordon...if he becomes available.  He has been been below average to mediocre his entire career.

...except for the year that he had 1646 yards with Jason Campbell and Brandon Weeden throwing him the football. Even this year he’s averaging around 50 yards a game. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

No he gets claimed in waivers he is the teams.  They are essentially claiming the Patriots Contract

There was a trade in place, it has been confirmed many places and AB would not have reported

I never wanted him for various reasons, but man...if AB didn't have a ten cent brain and would have just given it time here right now...I don't know...45 to 50 receptions so far and maybe the Bills are 6-0?

The Bills are throwing more.

Just now, dollars 2 donuts said:

I never wanted him for various reasons, but man...if AB didn't have a ten cent brain and would have just given it time here right now...I don't know...45 to 50 receptions so far and maybe the Bills are 6-0?

Or we'd be 3-3 because Josh Allen would keep forcing the ball to a whineass diva, resulting in more INTs.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, dollars 2 donuts said:

Yep and why I would want them to make a Run at Gordon on a Prorated 2M dollar Contract.  (long shot at landing him in Waivers though)

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Or we'd be 3-3 because Josh Allen would keep forcing the ball to a whineass diva, resulting in more INTs.

I never said I reviewed every angle, Gugny.

?

EDIT:  AB would be getting open.

Man...we are absolutely, never ever going to know, are we?

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I mean Josh Gordon is an obvious yes if you get the chance. He’s an elite talent that instantly upgrades our group. The cost is minimal and there is no pick associated with it. He’s the type of guy that can win you a game. 

...except for the year that he had 1646 yards with Jason Campbell and Brandon Weeden throwing him the football. Even this year he’s averaging around 50 yards a game. 

Okay...maybe I missed a good year he had, but every time I've seen him the last couple of years, he seems to flunk the eye test.

1 hour ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I'm not talking money. The only possible way any team wants Josh Gordon on their team is if they truly believe he is all in, is not going to have any off the field issues, etc. if he tells them beforehand I'm not all in, I don't want to play for you I don't think they do it. Another player says that they say tough toenails. 

I can't imagine the Bills being in on him. The chance that he ends up being a headache/problem is 50 percent at least. 

Just now, LabattBlue said:

Okay...maybe I missed a good year he had, but every time I've seen him the last couple of years, he seems to flunk the eye test.

2018 12 games 41 catches 737 yards 4 TDs

2017 5 games 18 catches 35 yards 1 TD

2014 5 games 24 catches 303 yards

2013 14 games 87 catches 1646 yards 9 TDs

Rookie Year 50 catches 805 yards 5 TDs

Yeah even last year better than ANY WR we have fielded in recent years.

Not to mention 28 years old 6-3 255 and would be on a 1.5M contract for this year

Just now, dave mcbride said:

I can't imagine the Bills being in on him. The chance that he ends up being a headache/problem is 50 percent at least. 

And he a a headache and thy cut him.  See how easy that is.  

6 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

He's not anything like the public perception of him. I think he would win over Beane and McDermott, as far as not being a distraction. I just think at this time in his career he likely does not want to go to a team like Miami, and it wouldnt be a good spot for him.

3 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

And he a a headache and thy cut him.  See how easy that is.  

You need to consider the opportunity cost though. I'd rather that they focus on trading a pick or picks for a more sure thing than Gordon.  He's not gonna want to come to Buffalo anyway, I suspect. If Buffalo -- a team that's allergic to head cases -- is interested, that basically means that others will be too. 

You need to consider the opportunity cost though. I'd rather that they focus on trading a pick or picks for a more sure thing than Gordon.  He's not gonna want to come to Buffalo anyway, I suspect. If Buffalo -- a team that's allergic to head cases -- is interested, that basically means that others will be too. 

They went after Duke Williams. They were at least interest in AB. It was rumored they were interested in Martavias Bryant.

4 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

He's not anything like the public perception of him. I think he would win over Beane and McDermott, as far as not being a distraction. I just think at this time in his career he likely does not want to go to a team like Miami, and it wouldnt be a good spot for him.

He may be the nicest guy in the world, but just last season he failed to fulfill his obligations because of personal problems and wasn't there for the SB run when the offense needed him. I have nothing against him; I just think that the Bills as an organization tend to steer clear of these folks. Building a particular type of "culture" necessarily means putting a fence around it to keep certain types out. 

2 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

They went after Duke Williams. They were at least interest in AB. It was rumored they were interested in Martavias Bryant.

He was a nobody -- a CFL flier picked up in the summer for whom they had no expectations. Not remotely comparable to competing against other NFL teams in the midst of a playoff run.  As for AB, I think that if anything, they're going to be more gun-shy about problem players after that circus. Note that they jettisoned the one guy with some personal issues (Zay). Of course, he's not any good either.

Edited by dave mcbride

2 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

ok who is that WR you want to give up draft picks for after the trade deadline when Gordon will hit waivers?

3 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

ok who is that WR you want to give up draft picks for after the trade deadline when Gordon will hit waivers?

I want to trade before the trade deadline. Not after. 

Getting someone sooner is better anyway - there's a time dimension to consider that brings in the law of diminishing returns. Getting that player up to speed in our complicated offense takes time, and there's 10 games to play. The Bills need to win most of those. 

Edited by dave mcbride

5 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

He may be the nicest guy in the world, but just last season he failed to fulfill his obligations because of personal problems and wasn't there for the SB run when the offense needed him. I have nothing against him; I just think that the Bills as an organization tend to steer clear of these folks. Building a particular type of "culture" necessarily means putting a fence around it to keep certain types out. 

He was a nobody -- a CFL flier picked up in the summer for whom they had no expectations. Not remotely comparable to competing against other NFL teams in the midst of a playoff run.  As for AB, I think that if anything, they're going to be more gun-shy about problem players after that circus. Note that they jettisoned the one guy with some personal issues (Zay). Of course, he's not any good either.

They kept Zay for almost a year and a half after that. ;)

I'm sure they would do their homework on where Gordon is at right now. I would bet anything they are doing just that, not because they are necessarily very interested but because they need a guy like him and that is the due dilligence that Beane does. If they get a decent answer I think they are interested and should be. I really do not think he is a threat to the culture in any way, he's not that kind of guy.  

4 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I want to trade before the trade deadline. Not after. 

Getting someone sooner is better anyway - there's a time dimension to consider that brings in the law of diminishing returns. Getting that player up to speed in our complicated offense takes time, and there's 10 games to play. The Bills need to win most of those. 

ok so who is this mystery WR? And if they Don’t land one why not put a claim in for Gordon once he is released next week?

Just now, Kelly the Dog said:

They kept Zay for almost a year and a half after that. ;)

I'm sure they would do their homework on where Gordon is at right now. I would bet anything they are doing just that, not because they are necessarily very interested but because they need a guy like him and that is the due dilligence that Beane does. If they get a decent answer I think they are interested and should be. I really do not think he is a threat to the culture in any way, he's not that kind of guy.  

read the thread about the Tim Graham interview. Beane says they are looking for a culture fit. They kept Zay because they spent a high second on him. 

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

ok so who is this mystery WR? And if they Don’t land one why not put a claim in for Gordon once he is released next week?

No mystery! I've said it elsewhere - AJ Green is my guy. I love him and think he's probably healthy. Obviously, I don't know for sure, but he had an ankle issue, and those don't last 4 months. 

No mystery! I've said it elsewhere - AJ Green is my guy. I love him and think he's probably healthy. Obviously, I don't know for sure, but he had an ankle issue, and those don't last 4 months. 

Ahhh the “Injured” WR that Cindy said They are NOT trading. So yeah then no WR traded for. Then it makes sense to drop a claim for Gordon when he is released Wednesday 

read the thread about the Tim Graham interview. Beane says they are looking for a culture fit. They kept Zay because they spent a high second on him. 

You were the one that brought up Zay as getting rid of a guy for personality issues. That is just not the case. ;) I already said, IMO, he would not be any threat to the culture fit. That's just an opinion. A few years ago after like the third time he was in trouble I was like, how could a guy be soooooo dumb? Then I started reading up on him and found out that he wasnt, at all. He's a unique guy. I personally think that McDermott would or already does like him.

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Ahhh the “Injured” WR that Cindy said They are NOT trading. So yeah then no WR traded for. Then it makes sense to drop a claim for Gordon when he is released Wednesday 

The Bills said they weren't trading Shady.  It'd be crazy for the Bengals to NOT trade him. I mean, that's bonkers. I mean, it's football 101 to know you can't trust what teams say about a players trade-ability. 

Anyway, a starting WR corps of Green, Brown, and Beasley would be a fricking great group - a player for every level. A fast, tall, elite athlete who can high point and catch the 50/50 throws. A burner with good hands, excellent quicks, and good route running. And a slot guy with great short area quickness who gets open. 

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1

So all this talk about culture fit. Tell me how Gordon doesn’t Fit the Culture 

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

The Bills said they weren't trading Shady.  It'd be crazy for the Bengals to NOT trade him. I mean, that's bonkers.

Anyway, a starting WR corps of Green, Brown, and Beasley would be a fricking great group - a player for every level. A fast, tall, elite athlete who can high point and catch the 50/50 throws. A burner with good hands, excellent quicks, and good route running. And a slot guy with great short area quickness who gets open. 

Bills do not have BROWN as the Owner. AJ Green isn’t being traded. 

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

How about multiple year-long suspensions and a long excused absence during a stretch run? 

You've gotta do better than that.

Edited by dave mcbride

The Bills said they weren't trading Shady.  It'd be crazy for the Bengals to NOT trade him. I mean, that's bonkers.

FWIW, this is a better scenario for me, too. I would love to trade for Green and think he would make a huge difference. I don't mind giving up the pick. If he is not available, or the price is too much, plan B is Gordon. If they could get him.

How about multiple year-long suspensions and absences? 

You've gotta do better than that.

I imagine that McDermott thinks highly of Grodon taking himself out of preseason last year. It was a thoughtful, adult thing to do. He wasn't in any trouble with the league.

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Bills do not have BROWN as the Owner. AJ Green isn’t being traded. 

Are you ready to put that on your tombstone? Because it's sheer madness for them to not trade him. They're going to be getting a pick at around the 97 slot and nothing else for him, and that team is going to lose a minimum of 12 games this year. 

2 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

FWIW, this is a better scenario for me, too. I would love to trade for Green and think he would make a huge difference. I don't mind giving up the pick. If he is not available, or the price is too much, plan B is Gordon. If they could get him.

That's the thing. Gordon is going to have options. I can't imagine the Bills will be high on his list -- i mean, i have to think he's had his fill of Lake Erie-adjacent snowbelt cities. 

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

Are you ready to put that on your tombstone? Because it's sheer madness for them to not trade him. They're going to be getting a pick at around the 97 slot and nothing else for him, and that team is going to lose a minimum of 12 games this year. 

But are those 12 guys going to be picked up by other clubs. Short answer is no.