Bills rumored to be a suitor for OG Roger Saffold

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I don’t understand why everyone seems to want to move Dawkins to RT.  The kid played very well at LT when he had a competent LG and C playing next to him.  Taking Jonah Williams (or any other OT) at 9 would be a huge mistake, IMO.

Because they heard it once from a talking head vs forming their own thoughts?

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

I'm a little more hesitant than you are. If I'm going to overspend I would rather do it for a younger player. As it stands he is in a good situation in LA from location, team and coaching standpoint.  Obviously, we can pay more but I think he will stay in tinsel town. 

From what I gather, if he did it would be for much less money because they are telling him to test the market, which means they have no intention of meeting whatever the Bills, Vikings or anyone else do which I assume is pay him what he’s asking

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

I find it hard to believe that a guy would leave a team with a young coach and quarterback, that just went to the Super Bowl, while living in suburban Los Angeles, just to rewind his career by a few years and move to a team with a young QB and coach that hasn’t smelled the Super Bowl in two decades and live in suburban Buffalo, NY. But....we’ll see!

Money. 

2 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

One reason Saffold looked so good was that he had a solid LT next to him in Andrew Whitworth, who just decided he would play another year. Surprising really because of Rams center John Sullivan played so poorly in the second half of last year.  Kind of interesting that all five Rams linemen played in all 16 games.

Anyway, he would be a huge upgrade over what Buffalo now has at LG. Not really at Richie Incognito's level but at 6'5'' 323lbs he should hold his own. Only one hold penalty last year, 4 false starts. 

...Jesus, that would be a 1st half total for us on a good day............

2 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

If they go all in and sign Saffold AND Morse (or Paradis) - Round 1 needs to go to skill positions or D-Line. We have other holes than just the O-Line.

If thats the case I think there will still be a couple solid RT prospects in round 2, so Im cool with it.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, TheBeane said:

I get what you're saying, but why does it have to go one way or another?  I still say you go BPA at 9 or trade down or whatever.  If that BPA happens to be an O-lineman, take the kid!  Our O-line needs as much help as it can get. 

Giving JA time to throw, and Shady holes to run through will make everyone look better.

5 new players wouldn't be the worst thing.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

I can see him leaving the Rams for greener pastures in Buffalo. :flirt:

Exactly.  After a short stroll thru snowbound, deserted downtown today, I’m thinking, why would anyone leave LA for Buffalo?

That said, if possible, git’er done.  And, btw,  who thinks Jonah could not be easily moved to RT or OG?

Give JA all the protection you can, and watch him shine.

JMO

3 hours ago, 315Mafia said:

IF the Bills could land Rodger Saffold and Matt Paradis, that would go along way towards solidifying the o- line.

then we add Alabama OT Jonah Williams in rd1 and flip Dawkins to right tackle

Why do ppl want to keep flipping Dawkins to ORT?

HE DID NOT LOOK GOOD THERE......I dont know why.....he just did not when we tried him there.

I would rather just keep Dawkins at OLT and get Safford or Paradis/Morse.......trade down......draft Ford OL and pick up an additional pick....then skill position, skill position, skill position

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

From what I gather, if he did it would be for much less money because they are telling him to test the market, which means they have no intention of meeting whatever the Bills, Vikings or anyone else do which I assume is pay him what he’s asking

The team doesn't have to tell Saffold to test the market because he is going to do it on his own to see what his worth is. He's been in the business long enough to understand how the system works. What he is going to find out is his worth and the difference between what he can get from another franchise and what his current team can offer. Sometimes the offer isn't as great as one's expectations. Saffold isn't an old player but he certainly not on the upside of his career. 

If the Bills were at a stage in their development where he was one of the few missing pieces on a highly competitive team then I would have no reluctance to overpay for his services. That's not the case with the home team. My point is that he might be able to garner a grand contract on the market but I wouldn't bet that Buffalo would be the place where he got it. 

As it stands he is in a good situation in LA. I wouldn't be surprised if he stays.

10 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

If they go all in and sign Saffold AND Morse (or Paradis) - Round 1 needs to go to skill positions or D-Line. We have other holes than just the O-Line.

. sign Morse and Paradise... Miller could use an upgrade if he doesn't want to kick it up a notch, and the other can play center. Love Teller but let these 4 men duke it out for the 2 starting guard and center positions.

Draft best OL they can find for RT after getting TJ Gronkenson. Grab up David Sills V also.

*Moderator edited for trying to sidestep foul language barrier. No sheets, Sherlock.

Edited by Chandler#81
Content

15 minutes ago, RyanTalbotBills said:

I'd take anything Forbes says with a grain of salt. He throws a lot at the wall hoping for something to stick. Last year he said the Rams were trading for Odell Beckham Jr. and paying him $100 million. That said, Saffold would be a nice get for the Bills.

Didn’t he just sign a big deal like last year?

That'd be huge! I really trust this staffs judgement. I think they solidify the OL/TE positions for years in this draft/FA. Just like they basically solidified their defense in 2 years. This team is coming in 2019

Edited by JerseyBills

Umm yes please. The $10 doesn't scare me. Sign 3 top lineman. Give them all 5 years at $50m, and give them all $20m year one. We have the room to do it and then after the 1st year, they are all on 4 year deals with $30m remaining. That a $7.5m average. We would have a top OL for Bargan prices for Josh's most important years. Then after this season. We would have a real title shot, right when Brady is done. Filling every hole this year wont work or be a good long term plan

What I don't quite understand is the collective dismissal of virtually every FA purportedly linked to the Bills citing dollar figures as the primary deterrent.

We have like 80 mil in cap space. We're going to have to spend it somewhere and we're not gonna find PERFECT players in free agency.

Saffold would instantly improve the line.

5 hours ago, JohnC said:

I'm a little more hesitant than you are. If I'm going to overspend I would rather do it for a younger player. As it stands he is in a good situation in LA from location, team and coaching standpoint.  Obviously, we can pay more but I think he will stay in tinsel town. 

They will overspend for one veteran lineman who would be a leader of the o line. They want a leader in every room, and they don't have a leader on the o line.  Dawkins is the leader in training.  I agree about getting younger guys, but they need a leader.   

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Buff76ers said:

Didn’t he just sign a big deal like last year?

Yes, but it wasn't with the Rams (as Forbes said).

Also said the Giants were prepared to make Andrew Norwell the highest paid guard in football.

The latter part was expected, but once again he had the team wrong. Perhaps Forbes just has bad sources when it comes to the Giants.

There was also this post when he claimed Matt Paradis wasn't well liked in the Broncos locker room...

Which was ripped apart by Paradis' former teammates. 

Like I said, he throws a lot out there hoping something sticks. An earlier post by Forbes said the Bills were interested in Saffold, Glowinski (before he re-signed), Mitch Morse and Daryl Williams. Considering Buffalo's need for OL, he's taking a shot at the Bills landing one of them so he can claim to be first with the news. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

One reason Saffold looked so good was that he had a solid LT next to him in Andrew Whitworth, who just decided he would play another year. Surprising really because of Rams center John Sullivan played so poorly in the second half of last year.  Kind of interesting that all five Rams linemen played in all 16 games.

Anyway, he would be a huge upgrade over what Buffalo now has at LG. Not really at Richie Incognito's level but at 6'5'' 323lbs he should hold his own. Only one hold penalty last year, 4 false starts. 

Yep - that is exactly where I am. Saffold was kind of in and out his early years in LA. We shouldn't forget he was drafted to play LT and was pretty much a bust there. He only stayed in LA after failing a medical in Oakland. He has been much better since Whitworth arrived to play next to him. He is not an elite guard by any stretch but he would instantly become the best guard on this roster. I'd still prefer Quinton Spain or Ramon Foster but I'd take Saffold. Saffold and Spencer Long would be immediate upgrades at guard on what we put out there in 2018.

13 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I have said it more then once. The skill position players in FA do nothing for me and the college lineman are not being developed properly. Fix the lines in FA and draft nothing but skill players.

This can not be stressed enough and let's hope and pray that our front office knows this.  Use mid to late rds pks on O-Line that can be developed in time but for now let's add 3 guys in free agency. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, QCity said:

Probably the only good hire Rex made when he was here. That beach chair-throwing drunk knows how to coach an O-line.

Sanjay was a really good coach also.  Actually the offensive staff Rex had was fantastic. Doesn't get much better then this

Roman

Lynn

Sanjay

Kromor 

• Like (+1) 2