Nice game but Allen needs to pass

Niagara Dude

Great team win and Allen made some huge throws and ran for over 100yards,  end of the day i do not want my franchise QB focused on running the football.  For Allen to become a great franchise QB he needs to throw the ball and more plays to need to be called to throw the ball and not run.  This is a passing league, and ground and pound is for losers  the great teams pass for 300yards on weekly basis and we struggle to make it to 200 yards. Yes the receivers suck but we need to stay committed to becoming a pass first team.  Even finishing this season focused on passing the ball and establishing ourselves as a pass first team will help signing potential free agent WR'S.

• Like (+1) 9
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Niagara Dude said:

Great team win and Allen made some huge throws and ran for over 100yards,  end of the day i do not want my franchise QB focused on running the football.  For Allen to become a great franchise QB he needs to throw the ball and more plays to need to be called to throw the ball and not run.  This is a passing league, and ground and pound is for losers  the great teams pass for 300yards on weekly basis and we struggle to make it to 200 yards. Yes the receivers suck but we need to stay committed to becoming a pass first team.  Even finishing this season focused on passing the ball and establishing ourselves as a pass first team will help signing potential free agent WR'S.

IDt he's focused on running.

Its just a part of his game.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Niagara Dude said:

Not to sound like McDermott but we will probably have to see the tape to see how often he prematurely escaped the pocket.  I think based on the eyeball test he did great and did what he had to do to win the game.   I loved his game today.  I think with a few more pieces on the line and in the WR corps Allen will be even better.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

An Allen hater attempting to come to grips with their wrong opinions.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

He will pass more with better receivers and a better offensive line. Right now the quality of options at the wide receiver position and at the TE are just not great. The line also doesn't quite give him enough time.  Today was a great start. He has a very bright future. Has all the tools.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

Seems to work just fine for cam

• Like (+1) 2

I was critical of Allen running too much prior to this game. But I thought he did great today. Some of the passes he threw were awesome (even the ones dropped and negated by penalty).  That’s all I needed to see... that he can make some world class throws, and he can.  As he develops more the running will slow down and the passing numbers will increase. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

well...while i see your point, i have to disagree. this kid is running for first downs and touchdowns. moving the chains and scoring points. of course you want him to thread the needle and hit his receivers rather than risk bodily harm. but you cannot argue this kid's will to win. the rest will come. he wants to win and will do anything in his power to do so. with experience will come wisdom.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Why should we throw 35 times when he’s a multi threat Qb

This is the jags defense we are talking about just say Qbrecord for the most rushing yards and would’ve easily been over 200 yards passing but for not all the penalties I’m not even counting Thompson Drop because you have drops in every game but the penalties by the offense of line that called back his wonderful passes were a lot

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

You want him to throw when the pocket breaks down and no on is open in his eyes?  Let the kid figure it out. I was happy with his effort. Tough secondary. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, LTF said:

He will pass more with better receivers and a better offensive line. Right now the quality of options at the wide receiver position and at the TE are just not great. The line also doesn't quite give him enough time.  Today was a great start. He has a very bright future. Has all the tools.

Better receivers yes, but your point on the pass protection just isn’t the case. Hasn’t been the case since the first couple of games. The pass protection is more than adequate now. Did you notice Jacksonville’s line today in pass pro? That is bad. Very bad. This line is performing fine, albeit with some dumb penalties mixed in.

• Like (+1) 1

I hope most realize with Allen’s running capabilities, this will open up the passing game. Teams are going to have to start spying on him, which opens up the passing lanes. Takeaway penalties on multiple successful passes and the kid had a helluva game. It’s his rookie year and I for one can’t wait for a whole offseason, training camp combined with an upgraded roster on offense. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, jaybee said:

He will be traded in three years and be a backup quarterback for a couple years and be out of the league by 2024. Probably sooner. He is an excellent athlete but a very bad quarterback.

giphy.gif

• Thank you (+1) 2

I think we all saw what we needed to see from Allen today. Some progression, baby steps.

When he saw green in front of him he took it. The TD pass to Foster under duress was fantastic. He converted some 3rd downs with his arm (even those negated by penalty)

Ideally, you're right, I would also like to see more completed passes but as of now I'm encouraged by his progression.

I think the playcalling helped him today, that was nice to see.

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

Some people are never happy.

1 hour ago, Niagara Dude said:

He will get there it takes time . He had a lot of great throws today and some were dropped. I only saw a couple of bad passes.

We don't need to be a throw first team, balance is always best.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

50 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

This is exactly like those emails complaining about Tyrod didn't throw for enough yardage, even though the Bills won the game.  This was Allen's 6th game!  He has so much heart.  That to me is more important than how many yards he threw for.  Give it time.  His yardage numbers will come up.   He was facing one of the best pass defenses in the league.

I will never understand the mentality of this type of thread.

May you find peace.

Just now, longtimebillsfan said:

This is exactly like those emails complaining about Tyrod didn't throw for enough yardage, even though the Bills won the game.  This was Allen's 6th game!  He has so much heart.  That to me is more important than how many yards he threw for.  Give it time.  His yardage numbers will come up.   He was facing one of the best pass defenses in the league.

I will never understand the mentality of this type of thread.

May you find peace.

Tyrod got traded, and then thrown on a scrap heap, so any parallels to Tyrod are bad.

7 minutes ago, Fixxxer said:

I think we all saw what we needed to see from Allen today. Some progression, baby steps.

When he saw green in front of him he took it. The TD pass to Foster under duress was fantastic. He converted some 3rd downs with his arm (even those negated by penalty)

Ideally, you're right, I would also like to see more completed passes but as of now I'm encouraged by his progression.

I think the playcalling helped him today, that was nice to see.

Spot on. The one thing I hoped to see today, I did. Before the injury, Allen would bail the pocket a bit too quickly and, worse, he would often bail straight back, giving himself no chance to make something happen. Today, he slid around the pocket much better, and moved laterally to open something up (most often a scramble, but still, positive yards.)

That was excellent. That was the number 1 thing I wanted to see out of him coming back and he was great. 

• Like (+1) 2