WR Rishard Matthews Done in Tennessee - Signed by the Jets

26CornerBlitz

2 minutes ago, QCity said:

He's a mediocre receiver at best, a bit of a head case, and is having difficultly getting playing time with a group of wideouts that rivals ours in terms of terribleness. This is a classic "I've heard of him" thread.

Is there a chance that he is better than any of Andre Holmes,  Ray Ray McCloud, Zay Jones, Robert Foster?  If so, he is worth a look.  This team is in desperate need of help at the position and at this point of the season there isn't much to look at.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Bronxbomber21 said:

He wants his release because lack of targets lol hes not going to get those in buffalo ether our wrs get like 2, 3 catches a game

Tyrod’s not the QB anymore, and the WR’s get 2 or 3 catches a game because they drop the rest. He’d be a #1 WR here. 

4 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Gotta start somewhere

They also found a Terrence McGee, a Stevie Johnson, a Karlos Williams, Ross Cockrell, Nigel Bradham, Da'Norris Searcy, Arthur Moats, Kyle Williams... This franchise is littered with getting sporadic good play out of late round guys. This is nothing new. 

6 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Its not a popular place for a FA WR to go so I would try to trade for him vs try to sign him on the open market 

The Bills have roughly $8.14 mill available under the cap this year according to Spotrac.

Matthews has a $5 mill base salary. If the Bills traded for him, say next week, after game four, they'd have to pay him $3.75 mill against the cap. I don't see this happening, as it would leave them too little for injury pickups. 

Not impossible, but not a fiscally conservative move, and those are the kind they seem determined to make this year.

If the Titans do release him as he says they will, what kind of contract would he demand / sign? I'd guess he might demand a one-year contract for similar money and get it somewhere. Maybe the Bills could finagle a deal that would be cap-friendly this year but more costly the next few? Would they do that and cut into their cap windfall next year? I don't know, maybe if they really like the guy, but I don't see this happening. We'll see, I guess.

Edited by Thurman#1

8 hours ago, aceman_16 said:

Let's bring him in so he can quit at halftime.  In that way we can add HIS half to Vontae's half and we got ourselves a FULL game before retirement and the world is right again!!

Since Buffalo again has been the brunt of jokes....this time for a guy who retires at halftime, it would be clever to sign a guy but keep it hush hush....then trot him out after the half. He doesn't have to even play much....just give the media something to have fun with.

Edited by The Process
Sp

3 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

They also found a Terrence McGee, a Stevie Johnson, a Karlos Williams, Ross Cockrell, Nigel Bradham, Da'Norris Searcy, Arthur Moats, Kyle Williams... This franchise is littered with getting sporadic good play out of late round guys. This is nothing new. 

McGee was hardly sporadic

These Bills receivers are the worst group I can ever remember.  Butter fingers, stone hands, and no hands describe this group.  This guy can't be any worse.  I still would like to see them pickup Tanner Gentry though.

7 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

We will probably try out a 5th string D lineman or a Linebacker that can play special teams instead. We are trying to find out about a rookie Qb by giving him the worst WR group in recent NFL history. If there is any team in the league that should be aggressively pursuing WRs, it’s us. I just don’t expect it.

What receivers signed within the past 3 weeks would have been your choice(s)?  Gotta add guys who you think are worth it. 

7 hours ago, PolishPrince said:

I mean they "could" for sure... but if they are going to flat out release him, why not trade him for at least SOMETHING.

I think the new tactic is tell the league you're going to release a guy and then wait for teams to come calling.

6 hours ago, Cruiserplayer said:

Matthews dropped one of  sixty six catchable balls last year. Notice where these balls are placed before ripping a qb on his accuracy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNdI6FXHSto

He'd easily be the best receiver on the team.  Pretty impressive grabs.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Cruiserplayer said:

Matthews dropped one of  sixty six catchable balls last year. Notice where these balls are placed before ripping a qb on his accuracy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNdI6FXHSto

Seen all I need to see .... please bring him in and cut Benjamin

Too bad. Walking out the way he did is a sign of weakness and lack of character. I finish every job contract I've had even when it means sacrificing my good for the good of the project or sacrificing for my team so they can move ahead.  That's not "the process" and I don't think it will be welcomed here, especially after V Davis. Sad, because we could use him, especially if he's motivated.

Edited by BillsRdue

1 minute ago, BillsRdue said:

Too bad. Walking out the way he did is a sign of weakness and lack of character. I finish every job contract I've had even when it means sacrificing my good for the good of the project or sacrificing for my team so they can move ahead.  That's not the process and it will not be welcomed here. 

What about when the Bills release players?  That seems to be okay as part of the process. ;)

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

What about when the Bills release players?  That seems to be okay as part of the process. ;)

TN did not release him. He walked into the office, requested a release. When he didn't get it, he didn't show up to practice.As far as I know, he is sitting at home and still on a roster. I edited the comment to better reflect my thoughts. We could use those hands, especially with crappy KB the drop machine.  I'm just not sure the Bills will want to go on a limb to alter their team chemistry. 

1 minute ago, BillsRdue said:

TN did not release him. He walked into the office, requested a release. When he didn't get it, he didn't show up to practice.As far as I know, he is sitting at home and still on a roster. I edited the comment to better reflect my thoughts. We could use those hands, especially with crappy KB the drop machine.  I'm just not sure the Bills will want to go on a limb to alter their team chemistry. 

The point is players get released on a regular basis as teams look to improve and somehow it's terrible for a player to ask for his release in order to look for a better situation on another team. 

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, BillsRdue said:

Too bad. Walking out the way he did is a sign of weakness and lack of character. I finish every job contract I've had even when it means sacrificing my good for the good of the project or sacrificing for my team so they can move ahead.  That's not "the process" and I don't think it will be welcomed here, especially after V Davis. Sad, because we could use him, especially if he's motivated.

I agree, but I also think this NFL is a different industry and really doesn’t reflect the real world. NFL owners commonly terminate player contracts well before they are over. So, a player should be able to do the same. That said, I won’t defend Vontae Davis. I don’t think a team has never cut a player during half-time. No player should ever quit during a game. That Davis did this makes me question Beane/McD’s ability to judge character. And Davis wasn’t the first player who got up and quit on them. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Saint Doug said:

I agree, but I also think this NFL is a different industry and really doesn’t reflect the real world. NFL owners commonly terminate player contracts well before they are over. So, a player should be able to do the same. That said, I won’t defend Vontae Davis. I don’t think a team has never cut a player during half-time. No player should ever quit during a game. That Davis did this makes me question Beane/McD’s ability to judge character. And Davis wasn’t the first player who got up and quit on them. 

Contracts are terminated because it is allowed in contract and most have some sort of signing bonus.

In real world if you are given signing bonus (or moving expenses) you need to stay a certain period of time or need to repay it.

Same thing as with mortgages with early exit clauses - I own mortgage and less than one year after purchaser bought property asked to be able to pay it back and I said sure, there is prepayment penalty.  I was not just going to release and lose thousands of dollars.

NFL players need to adjust to the real world.

I would be all for it, like the guy said he’s been the leading pass catcher there for two years, was hurt in camp and they used it as an excuse to bench him and see what they have in the younger guys. I can see his point why he would want to be let go, he signed thinking he’s a starting receiver there, didn’t lose his job just had some preseason injuries to mend up. Then finding out you’re not even starting has to suck. We could use someone who WANTS to be out there earning their paycheck 

Seeing the Patriots work out almost all FA receivers, I think they Bills should at least give him a look. The fact that he wants to be out on the field and getting stuff thrown to him is already an upgrade from KB's lackluster effort. 

• Like (+1) 1