WR Rishard Matthews Done in Tennessee - Signed by the Jets

26CornerBlitz

3 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

I honestly don't know if anyone has asked this question because I haven't read through this thread, but who does he replace?

If you assume a WR, just for argument sake, do you want to give up on Foster and his speed right now?  Ray-Ray?  We know they love Holmes on ST, and they are not letting go of KB and ZJ.

I want better receivers, too, but it starts to get tricky when the talent level comes close to looking parallel.  

I would  cut Foster or McCloud  and put him on the PS

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I would  cut Foster or McCloud  and put him on the PS

Man...Yolo, buddy, if they clear waivers which, and I know this sounds crazy, they might not.

Then watch the Bills cut Matthews during the middle of the season.  They wanted those two guys on this team for a reason.  

I liked Kerley, but I get why they cut him.  

Matthews better darn well be a someone who can make something happen on a level better than your current number 2 (not saying much), but for you get rid of potential future benefits.  

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

4 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Man...Yolo, buddy, if they clear waivers which, and I know this sounds crazy, they might not.

Then watch the Bills cut Matthews during the middle of the season.  They wanted those two guys on this team for a reason.  

I liked Kerley, but I get why they cut him.  

Matthews better darn well be a someone who can make something happen on a level better than your current number 2 (not saying much), but for you get rid of potential future benefits.  

I don’t think any other team has a roster spot for Mccloud or Foster. If they sign him off the PS they have to carry him on the 53 for 3 weeks.  If they do, great, but Allen needs a reliable vet more than a development rookie.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2

First thing I read when I look this guy up: Has trouble getting separation and getting open against defenders but can go up and make the contested catch.

That sounds kinda familiar... I think the Bills know a guy who knows a guy that plays like that...

Not that I'm against the team continuously bringing in competition and trying to improve the roster but the team already has several players like this guy on the roster. Not a great athlete, slow off the line, difficulty getting open.

8 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

First thing I read when I look this guy up: Has trouble getting separation and getting open against defenders but can go up and make the contested catch.

That sounds kinda familiar... I think the Bills know a guy who knows a guy that plays like that...

Not that I'm against the team continuously bringing in competition and trying to improve the roster but the team already has several players like this guy on the roster. Not a great athlete, slow off the line, difficulty getting open.

I don’t see anyone who has demonstrated they can do that, actually

• Like (+1) 3

He lead the titans in receiving two years in a row, while they don’t have an elite squad over there still there’s not a ton of targets and delanie Walker was their main guy. Forget the scouting reports the dude can play, and has something to prove if he wants a contract next year. You sign this guy up immediately if you can. The question is where does he wanna play and where does he see a chance to boost his value 

49 minutes ago, Clyde Smith said:

He’s officially a FA, no need to give away picks.

Yeah, obviously. They said they tried trading him and no one was interested. Now anyone interested in signing him will have to battle about 5 other teams. 

Which i what the point of my post was. 

I would love to see this happen ... but it's not gonna happen for 2 reasons:

1) He can go to any SB contender he wants ... like the Eagles who desperately need a WR.

2) I doubt our coach wants a locker room type that quits when he doesnt get enough targets.

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

He developed in Miami under the Dennis Hickey regime as well. So that's a front office connection. Brian Gaine, who was with us last year, was assistant GM when he was drafted. Nothing earth shattering, but connections. The Robiskie connection is probably the strongest one. I think he would be a good add, but he is not a big deal. Solid contributer. 

the connection is strong, but is it a positive connection? Matthews, back in the day, was pretty critical of Robiskie.

https://www.musiccitymiracles.com/2017/12/18/16790572/rishard-matthews-says-he-would-rather-have-marcus-mariota-calling-plays-than-terry-robiskie-titans

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

I would love to see this happen ... but it's not gonna happen for 2 reasons:

1) He can go to any SB contender he wants ... like the Eagles who desperately need a WR.

2) I doubt our coach wants a locker room type that quits when he doesnt get enough targets.

I agree with #2... but I think he will go to whoever pays him the most and shows him he would play a big role. SB contender or not. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I agree with #2... but I think he will go to whoever pays him the most and shows him he would play a big role. SB contender or not. 

Alshon Jeffrey was cleared to practice yesterday, so the Eagles are less attractive.  He won't likely be interested in the Pats -- Edelman is off suspension next week and Gordon will be worked in.

Robiskie knows him.  If he vouches for him, Beane has probably already been in touch with the agent.    It won't make a difference this week, so I doubt anything happens until next Tuesday.  Bills will likely want to keep both Foster and McCloud active for Green Bay. 

If this would happen, McD needs to be prepared for the narrative that he just had someone quit on him, now he is bringing in a player who quit on his team.  Sully and Bucky will be all over this in their new forum.

42 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

Yeah, obviously. They said they tried trading him and no one was interested. Now anyone interested in signing him will have to battle about 5 other teams. 

Which i what the point of my post was. 

Well, when you posted your comment he was just released. So what i was saying by him being released that there was no need for a trade.

7 minutes ago, Clyde Smith said:

Well, when you posted your comment he was just released. So what i was saying by him being released that there was no need for a trade.

Right, which I found interesting because we could have had him for any pick essentially. 

The point being that any team interested must have thought they could get him for a lot cheaper than his current deal. 

For a team like the Bills who are in desperate need and will most likely not be high on a newly released players list I would think we might be more inclined to guarantee his services with a late pick. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

Right, which I found interesting because we could have had him for any pick essentially. 

The point being that any team interested must have thought they could get him for a lot cheaper than his current deal. 

For a team like the Bills who are in desperate need and will most likely not be high on a newly released players list I would think we might be more inclined to guarantee his services with a late pick. 

Honestly I feel we have the upper hand in getting him. Familiarity with the receivers coach, under performing receiving corp and a chance to go against his former team the following week. Also being able to stick it to Miami twice a year, it's all up to Beane now.