9-4: Bills Worked Out Paxton Lynch & Ten Other Players Today

26CornerBlitz

3 hours ago, Ittakestime said:

Well it is funny to see all these people crap on Lynch when Allen is very similar to Lynch. 

Yep. Allen fans should check out the scouting reports on Allen and Lynch:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2011/profiles/paxton-lynch?id=2555316

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/josh-allen?id=32462018-0002-5600-29bc-8750224414bd

The NFL.com scouting reports actually had Lynch rated a tick higher than Allen overall (and yes, I understand the drafts were different, but the NFL.com scouting report scores are supposed to be general ratings similar to what baseball scouts use on their 20 to 80 scale).

This isn't to knock Allen. Rather, it's to explain why I'm in favor of bringing Lynch in. Look, just like in baseball, you draft (or trade for, or sign from Latin America) 4 or 5 young flamethrowers in the hope that one will succeed as a starter. Maybe one does, one winds up being a good bullpen arm (Lynch?) and 2 or 3 wash out before making any real major league contribution. That's life with prospects who aren't "once in a generation" type talents like Stephen Strasburg.

17 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

My "donkey fan" friends are going to mock me brutally if he signs.

Knock on Lynch here in Broncoland isn't even all about his skill set which not the greatest.

He's talked about being lazy, no passion and not so smart picking up "football" things.

Here is a typical read.

https://broncoswire.usatoday.com/2018/08/19/ray-crockett-asks-denver-broncos-fans-not-to-boo-paxton-lynch-show-some-class/

Also true. I'm in Colorado too, and I've had the, umm, pleasure of watching just about every pass Paxton Lynch has thrown, preseason and regular season. The only debate is "is he too dumb to get an NFL offense" vs. "does he put in enough work, on and off the field, to try to learn an NFL offense." But that's also tempered by the "Do the Broncos even run an NFL offense these days?"  All three takes have merit ...

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

And just to make an excuse or two for this guy...look at who his OC was early in his career when he looked terrible...that's right Rick Dennison. His coach was Kubiak who never did anything without Peyton Manning, same with his other OC Mike McCoy and then there is Bill Musgrave. I also believe that Vance Joseph is the worst head coach in football and it must also be very difficult to have John Elway of all people breathing down your neck. 

This guy is is the definition of a guy who needs a change of scenery. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, djp14150 said:

Is he eligible for P.s...I don’t think he is.

if on 53 man...who gets cut?

or they wait till after game 1 with injured player on Izard opening a spot.

Lynch has 2 accrued seasons.  He is eligible.

An NFL practice squad typically is made up of rookies and undrafted free agents who the team recently cut. Each team can carry up to four veterans — who can have no more than two accrued NFL seasons (six games on the 53-man roster qualifies as an accrued season) — on its practice squad, and a player can't be on a given practice squad for more than three seasons. Practice squad players are not eligible to play in games. Teams can sign players from other teams' practice squads as long as the players are added to the new teams' 53-man rosters (active/inactive).

The guy has a total of 4 starts in the league. How does everyone know he's the worst QB in the world? 

Sure, he will probably never live up to his draft status, but who's to say he couldn't develop into a nice backup QB in the league?

And the Bills are looking at him as a possible #3. We've had many years where our #3 QB was an undrafted free agent. Are you telling

me a kid that was good enough to get drafted in the first round isn't better than most UFAs or low-round QBs? I know it doesn't look

good that the team that drafted him gave up on him after only 3 years, but they also lucked into Chad Kelly (Elway doing Jim a favor) to replace him.

Some guys take longer to catch on, some don't get the chance to stick around long enough to catch on. It's not like playing QB in the NFL is an

easy thing to pick-up. I have no problem with Beane taking shots at guys. Yes, many times we will find out that that the guy just isn't up to the

challenge, but then sometimes you get a guy like Jerry Hughes, who maybe needed a change of scenery, different coaching, or just an opportunity.

Why not kick the tires on some of these guys to see if that's the case?

Edited by folz

6 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Would your head explode if they waived Shaq and then turned around and filled the roster spot with Paxton Lynch??

My theory is that most fans are initially certain that their new GM and HC sees the team with the same clarity that they do.........until that one moment when it becomes unquestionably clear that they do not.

I think you already got there when they drafted Allen...........but it seems like Lynch might be a boat-jumper for a few people here.?

My head would explode if they signed Lynch, period. 

7 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

My theory is that most fans are initially certain that their new GM and HC sees the team with the same clarity that they do.........until that one moment when it becomes unquestionably clear that they do not.

I have also never fallen for this. McDermott and Beane are much more my type of leaders than Rex and Doug but I have learned from my own coaching experience that no two people ever see things in exactly the same way. Even people you know well and are philosophically aligned with. 

7 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I have also never fallen for this. McDermott and Beane are much more my type of leaders than Rex and Doug but I have learned from my own coaching experience that no two people ever see things in exactly the same way. Even people you know well and are philosophically aligned with. 

8 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

And just to make an excuse or two for this guy...look at who his OC was early in his career when he looked terrible...that's right Rick Dennison. His coach was Kubiak who never did anything without Peyton Manning, same with his other OC Mike McCoy and then there is Bill Musgrave. I also believe that Vance Joseph is the worst head coach in football and it must also be very difficult to have John Elway of all people breathing down your neck. 

This guy is is the definition of a guy who needs a change of scenery. 

Kubiak and Dennison did lead Matt Schaub to multiple Pro Bowls and were the architects of the only season where Joe Flacco has justified his contract post his Superbowl win as OC and QB Coach.  I do not think it is fair to cast them as clueless with Quarterbacks.  I agree with you on Vance Joseph - he is hopeless - and I have never been a Mike McCoy guy... but the reason Paxton Lynch sucks is because he isn't a very good Quarterback. He wasn't a good NFL prospect in college, he hasn't been good in the NFL nor will he be in future. Absolute mystery to me how he was ever considered a 1st round pick. 

6 hours ago, folz said:

Are you telling me a kid that was good enough to get drafted in the first round isn't better than most UFAs or low-round QBs?

Are you telling me we are bringing in a kid that was good enough to get drafted in the first round?

We are bringing in a kid that was drafted in the fist round, despite not being good enough.

1 minute ago, CSBill said:

This may be the silliest thread of the year ..... It's a look, see if he has anything, if so, great, he's a 3rd string QB, if not, so what, move on.

It's got to be the nerves of the 1st game week.

No I'd hate Paxton Lynch being brought in on any day of any month of any year. I'd rather re-sign EJ Manuel, and I'm not even kidding. 

3 minutes ago, CSBill said:

This may be the silliest thread of the year ..... It's a look, see if he has anything, if so, great, he's a 3rd string QB, if not, so what, move on.

It's got to be the nerves of the 1st game week.

We already know he doesn’t have anything. He sucks. Plain and simple. What’s the point of bringing someone in that already know sucks?

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, JPP said:

So we eat a 4 million dead cap by dumping mccarron and we are looking at this scrub?? WTF? yeah i know its only a workout but WTF in even wasting time on this one??

Because he's practice squad eligible is my guess

If I were the Bills FO, I'd work out anyone and everyone.  I think that's part of the due dilligence aspect of being in the front office.  

Working out Lynch only has positives.  One, you have a QB of similar stature to Allen working your practice squad.  Secondly, just like in every other major sport, some players do better in certain systems than others and that opens up possibilities.  

14 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

Why wouldn't they be looking at getting better linemen in if they felt the guys they have are so bad or need an upgrade?

They dont think the line is that bad like fans do, they are looking for an additional QB to increase the experience in the room to more then a historically bad half of an NFL game

He was a higher rated QB in his draft then the current starter on this roster, he was believed to have starter potential compared to tapping out as a backup

Because finding a 3rd string QB this time of year is much easier than a starting caliber OL

2 hours ago, Bangarang said:

We already know he doesn’t have anything. He sucks. Plain and simple. What’s the point of bringing someone in that already know sucks?

As opposed to those other 3rd string QBs that don't suck. I'm sure you could name a few.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

As opposed to those other 3rd string QBs that don't suck. I'm sure you could name a few.

As much as I would like to think that we do not need a third QB we do not have Jim Kelly here who was able to complete most seasons without great issue.  With the uncertainty at the position in terms of health among other factors we need to carry a third so why not Lynch if he passes Beane's criteria test.  Again, I would ask who is available to be a third QB at this time.  Kyle Orton?

Edited by RochesterRob

3 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

As much as I would like to think that we do not need a third QB we do not have Jim Kelly here who was able to complete most seasons without great issue.  With the uncertainty at the position in terms of health among other factors we need to carry a third so why not Lynch if he passes Beane's criteria test.  Again, I would ask who is available to be a third QB at this time.  Kyle Orton?

EJ is available .  So is Mark Sanchez .  Even Kaepernick ?

24 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Can Lynch go on the practice squad? If so maybe I can see some justification - though there other sucky young guys I'd prefer to take a shot on. If it is someone for the 53 aren't Matt Moore and Derek Anderson still out there? Both are better than Lynch could ever dream of being.

What is the downside please?  Not to signing him, not to playing him, not to putting him on the playing roster, not to putting him on the practice squad. What is the downside to working him out please?  If it increases your knowledge base at no cost (except the small amount of time somebody from the organization might have to spend watching him work out), it is a benefit to the Bills

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Can Lynch go on the practice squad? If so maybe I can see some justification - though there other sucky young guys I'd prefer to take a shot on. If it is someone for the 53 aren't Matt Moore and Derek Anderson still out there? Both are better than Lynch could ever dream of being.

I'd actually take Manuel over Lynch.

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I'm pretty sure he isn't eligible for the practice squad:

Article 33: The Practice Squad shall consist of the following players, provided that they have not served more than two previous seasons on a Practice Squad: (i) players who do not have an Accrued Season of NFL experience; and (ii) free agent players who were on the Active List for fewer than nine regular season games during their only Accrued Season(s). An otherwise eligible player may be a Practice Squad player for a third season only if the Club by which he is employed that season has at least 53 players on its Active/Inactive List during the entire period of his employment.

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

If the question is are there better guys out there on the street to be on the 53 the question is yes, unquestionably there are.

Yea, there are better QBs out there eligible for the practice squad ?

3 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Are you sure that is a recent rule book it's quoted from? There are players allowed with accrued seasons now. Three of them per team. Nate has an accrued season and he is eligible. 

Each club will be permitted to sign a maximum of two Practice Squad players who have earned no more than two accrued seasons of free agency credit. Absent this exception, a player who has earned one or more accrued seasons would not be eligible for a Practice Squad unless the player spent fewer than nine games on a club’s 46-player active list in each of his accrued seasons.

He has 2 accrued seasons as of now, so I guess he might be?

Edited by Wayne Cubed

11 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Yea, there are better QBs out there eligible for the practice squad ?

He has 2 accrued seasons as of now, so I guess he might be?

Yeah. Seems to be from that one. I thought it was three players but I guess it's two. They keep changing the rules. Thx. 

15 hours ago, baskingridgebillsfan said:

until you have the guy i never understood keeping two qb's   The position is the most important is sports.  I am so sick of coaches saying player x made the team because of special teams.  The league barley returns kick offs.  I would keep three on the roster,and at least one on the practice  squad until i found one. 

Because there are only so many reps to go around, especially during the season.

Your 1st team QB gets the majority of reps. Backup QB gets some, and then there’s the scout team reps.

You cant develop a QB if you are not getting him any reps. 

39 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

EJ is available .  So is Mark Sanchez .  Even Kaepernick ?

I personally have nothing against EJ but would he want to be here and would most fans accept him?  Doubtful.  Sanchez?  Would most people let go of the butt fumble to embrace him?  Doubtful.  Kaepernick?  I doubt most Bills fans would take to him in light of the protests.  No way.  We can throw names out to extend the conversation but there are few true fits in terms of history and the willingness of fans to let by gones be by gones.  Lynch is not a great player but he does not have a personal history that is a block to most Bills fans.