9-4: Bills Worked Out Paxton Lynch & Ten Other Players Today

26CornerBlitz

Paxton Lynch Clears Waivers; Workouts Next for QB

Paxton Lynch is officially a free agent.

The former first-round draft pick, who was waived by the Denver Broncos on Sunday after the team claimed Kevin Hogan, cleared waivers on Monday, a source informed of the situation told NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport.

Despite his two-plus seasons of struggles in Denver, the quarterback should generate some interest on the open market. He's expected to get a chance to workout for some teams in the weeks ahead, Rapoport reported.

The first of those teams? The Buffalo Bills. Rapoport reports Lynch will visit Western New York on Tuesday for a workout. The Bills announced Monday that Nathan Peterman will open the season as the starter with rookie Josh Allen as the backup.

Just now, brianthomas said:

Well some of us wanted us to draft Chad, some even just for his connection to Jim. If we brought in Chad for a workout i think people would be getting the popcorn ready lol

I think Chas is a better possibility than Lynch as of now. Tough to know without really seeing them all that much. Lynch has just looked bad to me. Chad has skills. Remains to be seen if he has a cement head. 

• Like (+1) 1

Never hurts to get to meet the guy and see where his head is at, and see if he’s willing to accept coaching. He’s ideal for what they need. Someone who can’t threaten to take the starting job yet, has PS eligibility and is young enough to still learn 

3 minutes ago, Lurker said:

He passed through waivers.   His rookie contract is null and void...

When he made the comment he was replying to a post where the guy joked we should bring in Aaron Rodgers as our 3rd QB.

For reference:

1 hour ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

We need a #3 QB. I’m sure Beane checked on Aaron Rodgers availability but Lynch would be just fine in that role....

We would never allow a guy making $30 million to be the #3...that’s ridiculous! ?

Edited by brianthomas

2 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

The third string QB is supposed to be a bum.  McCarron had trade value which is why he was dealt.

Image result for Office Space what is wrong with you people

Yeah, some people I try not to read or quote, but we got something for AJ, we gave nothing for his replacement. Seems pretty simple. 

• Like (+1) 3

21 minutes ago, CSBill said:

What does “LITERALLY” have to do with that sentence?

lit·er·al·ly
ˈlidərəlē,ˈlitrəlē/
adverb
  1. in a literal manner or sense; exactly.
    "the driver took it literally when asked to go straight across the traffic circle"
    synonyms: exactlypreciselyactuallyreallytrulyMore

• informal
      used for emphasis or to express strong feeling while not being literally true.
      "I have received literally thousands of letters"

Not Hypebole.....Kapeesh?

2 minutes ago, TheElectricCompany said:

What do you think the Broncos have been doing with him for the past 2.5 years? 

I do not, based on absolutely conclusive evidence, believe that it has been actually "developing" him.

Edited by MiltonWaddams
  • Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, dezertbill said:

I love this move.  LOVE it. 

First off, Lynch is only 24.  He has only played 5 games in two years.  He had a great first game his rookie season, then the wheels came off second game vs. a great Falcons D where he was sacked six times.

Last season, he was sacked 9 times in two games.  That's 15 sacks in 3 of his 5 starts.  Denver's OLine isn't anything to write home about either.

First off, he is 6'7 and 244 (Allen is 6'5, 237)  Both are athletic for big men and can move their feet.

Both have strong arms.

Watching the preseason game vs Cardinals last week, you can definitely tell this guy has lost his mechanics.   With Lynch, the video I attached you can tell he is very jumpy in the pocket.  There were many throws where he never really set his feet, nor his body angle.  He was just throwing it to get rid of it.  Secondly, he would look downfield for a second or two then just dump it off to the back.  His feet again on most of these throws were not set.

But you'll notice on this video he made some pretty amazing throws.  One at the 1:50 mark where Lynch scrambled left and against his body looped the ball to the WR.  IT was an impressive throw that he made happen with his athleticism.  He made some other pretty nice throws as well.  You can also tell he is very athletic escaping the pocket and moves well on his feet.  His ability to move out of the pocket on a few plays reminds me a bit of Allen.

The problem with Lynch was he was thrust into action his first season and he wasn't ready.  His very first game his rookie year he had a 94.1 QB rating.  He came off the rails against a good Falcons team.  I'm sure the pressure of being the first pick and being viewed as the savior of the Broncos weighed on his since they had no one else on the roster who could play while he sat and learned.  The more they lost with the other QB's, the more the pressure was on him to be ready.  He was just never able to grow into the position naturally.   

That's why Peterman is starting for Buffalo.  Because McD knows Allen isn't ready.  Why rush him and create a situation where he learns bad habits by getting thrown to the wolves ALA Lynch.

As for Lynch, this is a fresh start for him where he isn't expected to come in and be the savior of a franchise.    He can come in and work with Daboll, who I'm sure will help him with his foot work similar to how they helped Allen.  He can just sit and learn, which he couldn't do in Denver.

In this league, you can never have enough QB's.  McCarron is an example of this. Just for having him on our team we got a 5th round pick.

If Buffalo can turn Lynch around and get him to drop some of his bad habits this might be a steal of a player.  

If not, no harm no foul cutting a 3rd QB on your team.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2018083051/2018/PRE4/Broncos@Cardinals?icampaign=scoreStrip-globalNav-2018083051#menu=gameinfo|contentId%3A0ap3000000957320&tab=videos

We need a !@#$ing vet.  Bills have made it clear Allen isn’t where we want him to be.  They talk highly of Peterman, but they did that last year, do you not remember the days leading up to the Chargers game? Bringing in another teams young castoff does nothing for this QB room    or for our future. Unless they are having doubts about Allen already. 

7 minutes ago, Augie said:

Yeah, some people I try not to read or quote, but we got something for AJ, we gave nothing for his replacement. Seems pretty simple. 

It's simple NFL economics yet some people are reading way too much into this and then they want to bash the front office for it...blows my mind!

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, brianthomas said:

When he made the comment he was replying to a post where the guy joked we should bring in Aaron Rodgers as our 3rd QB.?

Got it.  I have so many people on ignore I have a hard time following the screeching posts on TSW anymore...

This is Mario Williams all over again!  Let Kelly show him all the "deers" in his backyard if that's what it takes. Fire up the plane tracker!!!  Borrow Ralphs Taurus, let him order surf and turf at Tempo!  I just wish Russ and Whaley were there to tell him what kind of wine the Pegulas like.  This could be Uuuuuggggeaaaa!

6 minutes ago, TheElectricCompany said:

What do you think the Broncos have been doing with him for the past 2.5 years? 

Not defending Lynch but I think Denver has shown they’re not very good at developing quarterback talent the last 15 years or so. 

(Not that buffalo is any better at it lol) 

25 minutes ago, dezertbill said:

I love this move.  LOVE it. 

First off, Lynch is only 24.  He has only played 5 games in two years.  He had a great first game his rookie season, then the wheels came off second game vs. a great Falcons D where he was sacked six times.

Last season, he was sacked 9 times in two games.  That's 15 sacks in 3 of his 5 starts.  Denver's OLine isn't anything to write home about either.

First off, he is 6'7 and 244 (Allen is 6'5, 237)  Both are athletic for big men and can move their feet.

Both have strong arms.

Watching the preseason game vs Cardinals last week, you can definitely tell this guy has lost his mechanics.   With Lynch, the video I attached you can tell he is very jumpy in the pocket.  There were many throws where he never really set his feet, nor his body angle.  He was just throwing it to get rid of it.  Secondly, he would look downfield for a second or two then just dump it off to the back.  His feet again on most of these throws were not set.

But you'll notice on this video he made some pretty amazing throws.  One at the 1:50 mark where Lynch scrambled left and against his body looped the ball to the WR.  IT was an impressive throw that he made happen with his athleticism.  He made some other pretty nice throws as well.  You can also tell he is very athletic escaping the pocket and moves well on his feet.  His ability to move out of the pocket on a few plays reminds me a bit of Allen.

The problem with Lynch was he was thrust into action his first season and he wasn't ready.  His very first game his rookie year he had a 94.1 QB rating.  He came off the rails against a good Falcons team.  I'm sure the pressure of being the first pick and being viewed as the savior of the Broncos weighed on his since they had no one else on the roster who could play while he sat and learned.  The more they lost with the other QB's, the more the pressure was on him to be ready.  He was just never able to grow into the position naturally.   

That's why Peterman is starting for Buffalo.  Because McD knows Allen isn't ready.  Why rush him and create a situation where he learns bad habits by getting thrown to the wolves ALA Lynch.

As for Lynch, this is a fresh start for him where he isn't expected to come in and be the savior of a franchise.    He can come in and work with Daboll, who I'm sure will help him with his foot work similar to how they helped Allen.  He can just sit and learn, which he couldn't do in Denver.

In this league, you can never have enough QB's.  McCarron is an example of this. Just for having him on our team we got a 5th round pick.

If Buffalo can turn Lynch around and get him to drop some of his bad habits this might be a steal of a player.  

If not, no harm no foul cutting a 3rd QB on your team.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2018083051/2018/PRE4/Broncos@Cardinals?icampaign=scoreStrip-globalNav-2018083051#menu=gameinfo|contentId%3A0ap3000000957320&tab=videos

I gotta say after watching the video, give him a look.  His 2 TD’s were better throws than Tyrod can do.  First one, threw they guy open.  Second one, let the receiver make a play.

Most of the throws were short passes, almost screens.  Seemed to be situational with short yardage for a first.  He did seem to make those dump off passes after looking downfield a few times.

Honestly remember the hype over him.  Concerned that he’s been a disaster.  Worth a look see and possibly be our 3rd running the scoUt team.  

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

NooooOOOOOooooooo!

WTF, does Beane think he's running a FFF** refugee camp

**(Former Firstround F***ups)

Well, there's a couple of ways of looking at it (same with Coleman): 

1.  It doesn't hurt to kick the tires on a previously highly regarded prospect

2.  Do they think these players may have been poorly coached up and they can do better?  It happens in the NBA all the time.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, wppete said:

This was pretty bad. Week 1 preseason this year. 

I'm hesitant to call that "struggling."  His receivers are getting no separation, all he has to throw are short outs and underneath stuff, and he's hitting receivers in the hands except for a couple of times his receivers didn't run their routes properly.

But it's not a good performance, either - he looks completely disinterested, he's not going through any reads, and he's staring down his receivers.  He looks like...every QB the Bills have had over the past 15 or so years.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DC Tom said:

I'm hesitant to call that "struggling."  His receivers are getting no separation, all he has to throw are short outs and underneath stuff, and he's hitting receivers in the hands except for a couple of times his receivers didn't run their routes properly.

But it's not a good performance, either - he looks completely disinterested, he's not going through any reads, and he's staring down his receivers.  He looks like...every QB the Bills have had over the past 15 or so years.

I say let’s stick with tradition! 

13 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Not defending Lynch but I think Denver has shown they’re not very good at developing quarterback talent the last 15 years or so. 

(Not that buffalo is any better at it lol) 

It wasn't an ideal situation. This is his 3rd offensive coordinator in 3 years. 

But still....you're a 1st rounder with tremendous physical ability, make a play!

The "competition" the last two years was heavily slanted in his favor and he still got steamrolled. 

1 hour ago, Haze_21 said:

perhaps the worst qb ever. really cementing my faith in this fo

Really a 3rd string QB cements your faith in front office. This makes the depth chart pretty clear if signed. The 3rd string QB doesn't even dress usually. He is perfect to hold the clip board.

41 minutes ago, dezertbill said:

These are also the reasons why I think they should have a 3rd QB.  If you think Allen isn't ready, what if Peterman gets injured early in a game and Allen has to be put in the game?  If he has a game like Peterman had vs the Chargers, you take the risk of killing his confidence and then he'll also have the media and fan scrutiny that Peterman faced.  With McCarron gone to Oakland, you then have to bring in another QB who doesn't know the system and playbook so you may have to continue to play Allen, who you previously decided wasn't ready, until the new QB is up to speed.