9-4: Bills Worked Out Paxton Lynch & Ten Other Players Today

26CornerBlitz

1 minute ago, Augie said:

Expect great effort from me when the beerman makes his toss. And I’ll bring the wrath of #78 if somebody tries to pick it off! 

...I'd figure you for at least a dozen Paxton picks..........you'd be the Lester Hayes of the Rockpile...............:thumbsup:

21 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Let me get this straight....the bills have an opportunity to put a former 1st round pick qb on their PRACTICE squad.....and ppl are complaining about that?

PRACTICE SQUAD

I swear to god some of you would complain about winning the super bowl by a damn point

Have you seen this offensive line?  Any PS QB will be starting by week four, in concussion protocol by week five, and on IR by week six.  

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...I'd figure you for at least a dozen Paxton picks..........you'd be the Lester Hayes of the Rockpile...............:thumbsup:

Bad karma. I’ll pay for my own beer, and @plenzmd1 is due a few as well. Hopefully just one short of thinking it’s a good idea to slide down the upper deck rail. 

• Haha (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Clemfield2622 said:

that's where I'm at on this. Maybe they're bracing for 1 or both QB's to get hurt at some point behind this line. 

Why wouldn't they be looking at getting better linemen in if they felt the guys they have are so bad or need an upgrade?

They dont think the line is that bad like fans do, they are looking for an additional QB to increase the experience in the room to more then a historically bad half of an NFL game

He was a higher rated QB in his draft then the current starter on this roster, he was believed to have starter potential compared to tapping out as a backup

Edited by apuszczalowski

1 minute ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I’m all for bringing in another qb. I think we should bring one to the PS. Just not this guy. No to EJ and no to Lynch. I’m probably fine with anyone else.

So....DC Tom is OK? 

29 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Let me get this straight....the bills have an opportunity to put a former 1st round pick qb on their PRACTICE squad.....and ppl are complaining about that?

PRACTICE SQUAD

I swear to god some of you would complain about winning the super bowl by a damn point

Well, we just brought in a former 1st round pick----he lasted 2 weeks & added to our salary cap problems !!!!

Just now, Buffalo Boy said:

Would LITERALLY rather have EJ back.

As bad as this is---you might be right.

12 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Good thing is that this offense is simple for a QB to learn.  Anyone can run it.  The QB only has two responsibilities: hand the ball off to McCoy, and take a beating.  Even if he had time to throw, he has no one to throw it to.  

Hang on Tom---They're bringing in Peirmann for a tryout. Great speed & hands of stone--can't catch sh*t.  But, the QB can drop back & loft it 3-4 times a game---might get a penalty flag.

58 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Allen is the guy. If they can develop Peterman, and heck maybe Lynch on the practice squad or something, they have trade chips. Just like AJ McCarron, I think this is a case of collecting assests to maybe make some sort of trade in the future. 

Tyrod fetched a third. So did Bridgewater. McCarron got a fifth. I think this idea makes sense. 

Lynch needs to be rehabbed and has to put down the PlayStation controller. But there is still potential there, so I am okay with it. It's about collecting assets. 

this is about what i was thinking as well. coach this kid up and put out some rumors that he is really buying in and studying hard. then flip him for a draft pick or a depth player.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

We need a #3 QB. I’m sure Beane checked on Aaron Rodgers availability but Lynch would be just fine in that role....

This. They need a 3rd QB, if either NP or JA get hurt in a game, they’re a play away from Logan Thomas being the man. Unless, of course, that Rodgers guy is available.

Edited by CSBill

I love this move.  LOVE it. 

First off, Lynch is only 24.  He has only played 5 games in two years.  He had a great first game his rookie season, then the wheels came off second game vs. a great Falcons D where he was sacked six times.

Last season, he was sacked 9 times in two games.  That's 15 sacks in 3 of his 5 starts.  Denver's OLine isn't anything to write home about either.

First off, he is 6'7 and 244 (Allen is 6'5, 237)  Both are athletic for big men and can move their feet.

Both have strong arms.

Watching the preseason game vs Cardinals last week, you can definitely tell this guy has lost his mechanics.   With Lynch, the video I attached you can tell he is very jumpy in the pocket.  There were many throws where he never really set his feet, nor his body angle.  He was just throwing it to get rid of it.  Secondly, he would look downfield for a second or two then just dump it off to the back.  His feet again on most of these throws were not set.

But you'll notice on this video he made some pretty amazing throws.  One at the 1:50 mark where Lynch scrambled left and against his body looped the ball to the WR.  IT was an impressive throw that he made happen with his athleticism.  He made some other pretty nice throws as well.  You can also tell he is very athletic escaping the pocket and moves well on his feet.  His ability to move out of the pocket on a few plays reminds me a bit of Allen.

The problem with Lynch was he was thrust into action his first season and he wasn't ready.  His very first game his rookie year he had a 94.1 QB rating.  He came off the rails against a good Falcons team.  I'm sure the pressure of being the first pick and being viewed as the savior of the Broncos weighed on his since they had no one else on the roster who could play while he sat and learned.  The more they lost with the other QB's, the more the pressure was on him to be ready.  He was just never able to grow into the position naturally.   

That's why Peterman is starting for Buffalo.  Because McD knows Allen isn't ready.  Why rush him and create a situation where he learns bad habits by getting thrown to the wolves ALA Lynch.

As for Lynch, this is a fresh start for him where he isn't expected to come in and be the savior of a franchise.    He can come in and work with Daboll, who I'm sure will help him with his foot work similar to how they helped Allen.  He can just sit and learn, which he couldn't do in Denver.

In this league, you can never have enough QB's.  McCarron is an example of this. Just for having him on our team we got a 5th round pick.

If Buffalo can turn Lynch around and get him to drop some of his bad habits this might be a steal of a player.  

If not, no harm no foul cutting a 3rd QB on your team.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2018083051/2018/PRE4/Broncos@Cardinals?icampaign=scoreStrip-globalNav-2018083051#menu=gameinfo|contentId%3A0ap3000000957320&tab=videos

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1

Some  of these posts just go to show the duplicit nature that comes with being a fan.

Getting pissed at our staff for doing their due diligence on a 6'7 246lb athlete, drafted in the 1st round.

Yet if they didn't at least take a look at him, fans in turn would be pissed we didn't bring him in for a look.

I'd rather our staff took as many opportunities as they could, to find players for this team, as opposed to the opposite of not taking those chances at all.

If you had to throw a bullseye on a dart board, would you want only 1 dart or would you want as many darts as possible?

I don't see anything wrong at all with bringing Lynch in here for a look. It doesnt mean they plan on trading Allen & making PL the opening day starter.

Theyre just bringing him in for a look, that's it.

I don't get why people get so worked up over these things.

Edited by brianthomas
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Sad 1

I like it for the simple fact he can be another trade chip down the line even if he can be rehabilitated into a good backup. 

You saw in the preseason multiple backup QBs go for mid round picks. It’s good asset management especially with the QB position. 

Do i I think he’ll ever be a starter? I doubt it but he isn’t being brought into do that. A couple QBs go down and all of a sudden with the lack of talent at QB we might get some calls

22 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Good thing is that this offense is simple for a QB to learn.  Anyone can run it.  The QB only has two responsibilities: hand the ball off to McCoy, and take a beating.  Even if he had time to throw, he has no one to throw it to.  

Exactly

until you have the guy i never understood keeping two qb's   The position is the most important is sports.  I am so sick of coaches saying player x made the team because of special teams.  The league barley returns kick offs.  I would keep three on the roster,and at least one on the practice  squad until i found one. 

7 minutes ago, CSBill said:

What does “LITERALLY” have to do with that sentence?

I think what he's saying is that essentially, theoretically, he'd literally be beyond happy with having EJ back.  "Just sayin"

• Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Would LITERALLY rather have EJ back.

EJ Manuel has been in the league for five seasons.  Lynch has been in the league for two.  Lynch completed 67% of his passes last year.  EJ completed 56%

I'd rather give Lynch a shot to see if we can correct some of the issues he was having then bring in a guy that you know after five years what your getting.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, TheElectricCompany said:

I really wanted Lynch to work out in Denver, but he has terrible vision, poor accuracy and plays with zero confidence.

The guy has gotten beat out by a 7th rounder 3 times! 

Hard pass. 

Well in fairness the last 7th rounder to beat him was the nephew of Bills HOF Great, Jim Kelly.  Idk if you've heard of him but I read that he was pretty good in his day lol.

I do wish we would've drafted Chad ourselves, but I can understand why they mightve been hesitant to do so.

But yeah, i could care less if he signs here, but I do like we're at least looking to continuously improve our roster, no matter if it happens or not.

1 hour ago, WMDman said:

practice squad?

That was my thought as well. 

He's elligible to fill one of the four "special" PS slots for guy's who''e been on the active 43 roster more than 8 games but have less than two years in the league....

Edited by Lurker

Just now, Kelly the Dog said:

Think of the reverse. Think of this board if Lynch beat out Chad Kelly by a hair and Kelly was brought in for a workout. 

Well some of us wanted us to draft Chad, some even just for his connection to Jim. If we brought in Chad for a workout i think people would be getting the popcorn ready lol