RD1, Pick 7: Josh Allen QB - Wyoming

SDS

2 minutes ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

I agree I’d rather have AJ start at least until week 4 or 5 depending on how our record is. But listening to Beane the other day, he isn’t ruling it out. 

Yeah I think he's just being smart and giving lip service to not role up any of the QBs, and also trying to not have to eat his own words if Allen is or isn't ready.

I think that unless Allen is blowing AJ/Nate away in camp and preseason, then he isn't going to see the field in a live game for a while.

Our oline needs work and better to not get the new guy killed before the bye week.

I mean, we don't really have any good receivers either, but he is used to that after last year in college with the turd sandwich receiving corps he had in 2017 ?

11 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Allen wasn't my top pick either but I feel like it's for the same reason many are complaining, he's not ready to play and we all want immediate results.

The good news is for everyone saying he's going to set the franchise back 5 years is wrong.  He will either boom or bust in the next 2 years and we can move on if we need to or we found our guy.

You’re right, the rookie salary structure makes things way less risky. Drafting a QB in top ten and having to give him a huge contract is what used to set teams back for years.

10 minutes ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

Going into the draft, my QB wish list went like this:

1. Mayfield 

2. Darnold

3.  Rosen

4. Allen

When we traded up to 7, and Rosen was still there, I thought for sure we were going to grab the other Josh. Nope they announced Josh Allen instead. I was furious. So was about 90% of the fans sitting with me at the Anchor Bar on Transit. Then I watched Rosen get drafted a few picks later. For the first time I noticed what an arrogant, entitled little weasel he is. When I got back to my room I started watching videos of each of them. Rosen comes off as a spoiled kid that has had everything handed to him. Allen is just the opposite. He’s had to work for everything he’s gotten. He’s humble. He’s appreciative. He’s a Buffalo guy. For those of you who are still pissed we didn’t take Rosen, I’d encourage you to do the same. Watch their interviews and form your OWN decision, not some “expert” with a blog...

What if that little weasel ends up being a perennial pro bowler who averages 4k/ 35 tds a season and Humble Pie Allen becomes a career back up that's out of the NFL in 5 years?

Fans will always take the uber productive a-hole over the community serving, great guy, hard working can't hit the ocean from the sand kind of guy. Do you see Tyrod anywhere around here?

I too dislike Rosens' persona in comparison to Allen but all of that would have been overlooked if he was picked because he'd be a Buffalo Bill now. I want Allen to succeed soooo bad as I feel he's the jolt this team needs at QB badly. If you followed any of what McBeane is trying to instill in this team the past season then you'd know what they want in a QB. Character (still pending), hard worker, big, mobile, arm strength, coachable. A lot of the things Rosen lacks though no doubt he's the more polished of the two.

Here's hoping that cocky Keebler elf doesn't prove the previous 9 GMs wrong. 

5 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

What if that little weasel ends up being a perennial pro bowler who averages 4k/ 35 tds a season and Humble Pie Allen becomes a career back up that's out of the NFL in 5 years?

Fans will always take the uber productive a-hole over the community serving, great guy, hard working can't hit the ocean from the sand kind of guy. Do you see Tyrod anywhere around here?

I too dislike Rosens' persona in comparison to Allen but all of that would have been overlooked if he was picked because he'd be a Buffalo Bill now. I want Allen to succeed soooo bad as I feel he's the jolt this team needs at QB badly. If you followed any of what McBeane is trying to instill in this team the past season then you'd know what they want in a QB. Character (still pending), hard worker, big, mobile, arm strength, coachable. A lot of the things Rosen lacks though no doubt he's the more polished of the two.

Well said!

6 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Yeah I think he's just being smart and giving lip service to not role up any of the QBs, and also trying to not have to eat his own words if Allen is or isn't ready.

I think that unless Allen is blowing AJ/Nate away in camp and preseason, then he isn't going to see the field in a live game for a while.

Our oline needs work and better to not get the new guy killed before the bye week.

I mean, we don't really have any good receivers either, but he is used to that after last year in college with the turd sandwich receiving corps he had in 2017 ?

Our recievers have got to be better than what he was working with in Wyoming. And I really hope Beane can pick up someone else before the season on the cheap. I’d like to see Eric Decker brought in

• Like (+1) 1

I too was initially unhappy with the Allen pick.  Admittedly, like most on this board I have not seen Allen play in live action.  I saw some clips here and there.  After he was drafted I went back and looked again, and spent more time finding other clips.  I can tell you this, the guy reminds me a lot of Rothlesberger.  He was much more mobile than I expected and always keeps his eyes down field.  One thing I can say for sure is that the era of passing for 4 yards on 3rd and 10 is over with this guy.  

I also went back and looked at a bunch of mock drafts.  A couple things stood out.  First, almost all were wrong by the 3rd pick.  Half that were projected first rounders were not chosen.  It was even more clear to me that mock drafts are pure entertainment with a sprinkle of fantasy.  Second and most striking were that the vast majority of mock drafts had Allen going number 1 overall to the Browns.  For example, CBS Sports "Mock Central" had 4 of 6 reports with Allen going number 1 overall.  The remaining 2 had Darnold going first.  Clearly, there were many teams who loved Allen.  It seems clear that Arizona was going jump us and grab Allen if we did not.  

So, while everyone is freaking out, I urge them to go back and look at the tape.  I would be interesting to know if that would change people's minds.  I also would love to know if all the upset fans actually saw this kid play an actual game.  I know I didn't.

All in all, this administration solidified the defense.  I truly think this will be  a top 7 defense, and they got younger.  This defense will keep this team in a lot of games, baring injury.  The selection of Edmunds I think will be spectacular.  Again, looking at the mock drafts, I did not see one that had him being selected anything below 12.  The speedy inside linebacker is a staple in the McDermott scheme.  After what he did last year, breaking the playoff drought when just about everyone had them winning 6 or less games  earned him the right to get the benefit of our doubt.  

I do have grave concerns about the offense.  Not because we lost Tyrod Taylor ( I think with McCaron or Peterman (insert wise comment)) are better than Taylor.  Taylor just refused to throw the ball.  My concerns are with the offensive line, and lack of play making receivers.  This will be addressed next year I'm sure.  It's nice that we have a full compliment of draft picks on the shelf that we did not need to give up.  It's also nice to know that we will have the 3rd largest amount of cap space to fill some needs.  

All in all, cut this administration some slack.  First, they earned it.  Second, they have a clear plan and are executing it.   This is more than I can say for any other administration over the last two decades.  

p.s., if Allen hits, fasten your seat belts.  It will be a good ride.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

It’s definitely possible that Rosen ends up being the best QB in this draft class. I really don’t think so but I can’t rule it out. I think he’s going to get his bell rung a couple times and he’s going to question why he’s even out there. 

3 hours ago, njbuff said:

It is almost like the doubters want to see Allen fail just to justify they are right about him.

Pretty disturbing.

It's not that.

It's the Accuracy thingee, that has bedevilled Bills fans, for at least 1/2 a generation. Your QB has to be able to do the simple route things, a high percentage of the time. Being simply, a Mad bomber won't cut it! 

If he had the Accuracy competency cold, everyone would be raving as one of the best QB Draft picks ever; because the other stuff- intelligence, leadership, mobility, arm strength, size are excellent.

I have a feeling that he gave the Bills, Jets, and Browns the same feeling when they met him. Just seems like the type of guy that lets his emotions get the best of him and when the going gets rough starts pointing fingers. Allen is the perfect player for Buffalo and will be fun as hell to watch Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

Our recievers have got to be better than what he was working with in Wyoming. And I really hope Beane can pick up someone else before the season on the cheap. I’d like to see Eric Decker brought in

I dunno we were pretty bad lol.

I think obviously our receivers are better than his in Wyoming, but they're also playing against NFL defenses, so they might wind up being just as bad in terms of getting open.

We absolutely should kick the tires on Decker, maclin, and Michael floyd

18 minutes ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

It's not that.

It's the Accuracy thingee, that has bedevilled Bills fans, for at least 1/2 a generation. Your QB has to be able to do the simple route things, a high percentage of the time. Being simply, a Mad bomber won't cut it! 

If he had the Accuracy competency cold, everyone would be raving as one of the best QB Draft picks ever; because the other stuff- intelligence, leadership, mobility, arm strength, size are excellent.

If he had the accuracy thing down cold, he'd be a Cleveland Brown right now.

• Like (+1) 3

53 minutes ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

1. Mayfield 

2. Darnold

3.  Rosen

4. Allen

When we traded up to 7, and Rosen was still there, I thought for sure we were going to grab the other Josh. Nope they announced Josh Allen instead. I was furious. So was about 90% of the fans sitting with me at the Anchor Bar on Transit. Then I watched Rosen get drafted a few picks later. For the first time I noticed what an arrogant, entitled little weasel he is. When I got back to my room I started watching videos of each of them. Rosen comes off as a spoiled kid that has had everything handed to him. Allen is just the opposite. He’s had to work for everything he’s gotten. He’s humble. He’s appreciative. He’s a Buffalo guy. For those of you who are still pissed we didn’t take Rosen, I’d encourage you to do the same. Watch their interviews and form your OWN decision, not some “expert” with a blog...

I preferred Allen over Rosen for that very reason. Saw Rosen on TV back in March and his body language and demeanor turned me off. I know that doesn't compare to dissecting hours of film and comparing their QBing abilities, but it was a discriminator for me. Had we picked Rosen I'd be 100% behind him but with a nagging feeling that it wasn't going to work out....actually not too different than how I feel about Allen right now just for different reasons.

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Even if he looks better than AJ and Nate in camp, I hope they ease him in. Live NFL action is whole different beast.

Don't ruin the kid. The Bills have plenty of time to develop this one right.

I have seen this posted by a number of people.  I started thinking about it and I couldn't come up with an example of a QB drafted high that was started too early and it ruined his career.  If you're thinking of some specific examples please share them with me.  I'm not harping on you I just can't think of any.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, njbuff said:

It is almost like the doubters want to see Allen fail just to justify they are right about him.

Pretty disturbing.

I just don't understand the level of hatred and vitriol directed toward him before the kid even takes a pro snap.   Consensus one of the top QBs, regardless of what your personal opinion/"analysis" is.  Undeniable work ethic, athleticism, ceiling etc. etc.  Doesn't knock women out, steal seafood, beat dogs, kill baby seals.   Because completion percentage?  Why the hell wouldn't you at least wait to see how things play out before berating the guy as garbage.  You can be disappointed, disagree whether it was the right pick etc. - but to see so much blatant non-support is crazy to me.   Just hope the guy succeeds and see how it plays out - all the bitching in the world isn't going to change that.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, njbuff said:

Pretty disturbing.

Personally, I'm disturbed by the even larger group of people who just want to see the "stigmata," no matter what the evidence suggests.   Especially among posters who haven't taken the time to watch even five minutes of game video (not highlight packages, which make everyone look good).   That video is easily found on Youtube.  And is fair game for all the 'doubters' to comment on.

Then again, I suppose the faith and hope routine that passes for analysis on TSW and elsewhere is what keeps the Bills in business decade after decade...      

5 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Personally, I'm disturbed by the even larger group of people who just want to see the "stigmata," no matter what the evidence suggests.   Especially among posters who haven't taken the time to watch even five minutes of game video (not highlight packages, which make everyone look good).   That video is easily found on Youtube.  And is fair game for all the 'doubters' to comment on.

Then again, I suppose the faith and hope routine that passes for analysis on TSW and elsewhere is what keeps the Bills in business decade after decade...      

So, doubters are rational and have investigated beyond highlights and those who support the fella are fideists.  Got it.  Guess Beane and McDermott are risking their careers on blind faith.

Just now, Dr. Who said:

So, doubters are rational and have investigated beyond highlights and those who support the fella are fideists.  Got it.  Guess Beane and McDermott are risking their careers on blind faith.

Yes, they are IMO...

3 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Yes, they are IMO...

I just don't find that a very credible opinion.  I don't think you are a foolish poster by any means, but I think it much more likely Beane and McDermott have had their eye on Allen for quite a while and have studied him sufficiently to make "blind faith" an unfounded interpretation.

Just now, Lurker said:

Yes, they are IMO...

Boy, I wish that our front office had taken the time to watch the videos easily found on YouTube...  

People watch a few videos online, look at some stats, and think they are experts...  No one really knows how these kids are going to turn out.  Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but I get annoyed when opinions are presented as facts.  I'll trust in the highly paid professionals.

24 minutes ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

1. Mayfield 

2. Darnold

3.  Rosen

4. Allen

Honestly, as i mentioned in other threads, everything is relative to a few different pov.

When the dust settles and we know who we have it's easier to figure out your personal feelings.

Take Jets fans for example. Over on their site,  there was a thread that was essentially asking are you scared the Bill's could jump to 2 for Darnold. In the weeks leading up, it was full of NO responses with reasoning knocking the kid and Mayfield is who they wanted. They called him a poor prospect and the least guaranteed/project. At that point, it was more fear masking true feelings to accept he wont be there and they are better off w Mayfield anyway.

Now, Sam is theirs and it's totally different.

Now, he was the best qb in the draft and it was super smart.

Human nature dictates this to a degree. It is what it is, and if we dont adjust and get excited... the next few years will be miserable and suck. 

Allen is ours. I was very upset it wasn't risen, but I've come around and this kid was in consideration for #1 over all. Biggest boom or bust.. and if it works- again IF- we are golden!!

1 hour ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

1. Mayfield 

2. Darnold

3.  Rosen

4. Allen

Do you care what brady’s personality is like?  Would you want his ugs wearing pretty boy self absorbed lame personality on the bills?  

18 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I just don't find that a very credible opinion.  I don't think you are a foolish poster by any means, but I think it much more likely Beane and McDermott have had their eye on Allen for quite a while and have studied him sufficiently to make "blind faith" an unfounded interpretation.

Well, so be it.    Their "faith" is that Allen can correct his footwork and other mechanics and somehow become something more than a big arm.   McBeane may have spent a lot of time analyzing it, but it's still an "educated guess."    And IMO, the odds say it is a long shot, given how few QBs have been able to make that leap...   

4 minutes ago, benderbender said:

What really tickles me is how many mock drafts have Allen going number 1. But when we draft him, suddenly he wasn’t good enough.

Mock drafts are entertainment, garnished with a large dose of team-supplied misinformation.   

Media white noise and tales told round the campfire...

Edited by Lurker

16 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

Do you care what brady’s personality is like?  Would you want his ugs wearing pretty boy self absorbed lame personality on the bills?  

You’re pointing out an exception to a rule. Yes I would want Tom Brady on my team despite the fact that he’s a douchebag. Most douchebags suck at life. Ryan Leaf immediately comes to mind. Jamarcus Russell. Losman kinda had a douchebaggery about him