RD1, Pick 7: Josh Allen QB - Wyoming

SDS

1 hour ago, jrober38 said:

Totally agree.

Mahomes was the same type of prospect as Allen only he was actually a pretty good college player.

Not liking Mahomes and then trading up for Allen makes zero sense whatsoever. 

Allen's game type, like EJ Manuel before him, suggested he should be a mid round draft pick.

If he were 6'1, 215 like Baker Mayfield, he wouldn't have been drafted. 

You obviously don't Trust the Process. First off, there was no way McDermott was going to draft the franchise QB into that piss poor locker room culture. Secondly, Pegula wasn't going to let Whaley draft the next potential franchise QB as a lame duck GM. Drafting the franchise QB was always going to be this year and for Beane to get to #7 to draft one especially after a surprising playoff run is awesome GMing. To think the Bills were drafting Watson or Mahomes last year is ignorant and should never be an argument against drafting Allen.

That being said, to put Mahomes in the same category as Allen as a prospect is even more ridiculous. Allen would be drafted ahead of Mahomes every single time if they were in the same year.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloRush said:

Merged too many threads into this monster thread.  Won’t be able to find anything

wouldnt be bad if when you clicked on the link that was merged it took you to that spot..but when it drops you off at page one and says ..good luck with 77 pages of depth..its like..eh..nvmd

• Thank you (+1) 1

For what its worth, Benjamin Allbright claims with certainty that Allen was QB1 on Bolls' board. He was one of the few who linked Allen to Bills all offseason and didn't waver.

Bills fans in the comments then insinuate that it sounds like Allen may have been a backup plan to Darnold or Mayfield, but Allbright reiterates that Allen is and always was their first choice at QB.

Take it or leave it, but that's what he claims.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, PIZ said:

McDermott is a defensive coach.  The guy knows defense and knows Tre would be a fit for his defense.  There was no way he was going to trust a front office that wasn't even going to be there in a few days, to pick his QB.  He knew there would be a new GM and he knew the 2018 QB class had more potential than the 2017.  

What do you think would have happened if this year QB class was in last years draft ? do you think they would have taken a chance on one of the top 4 QB ? ( with D W ) still being the GM , I'm just wondering if Doug W had another shot at drafting a QB would he even consider Allen ? after the complete disaster with EJ pick , 

2 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

Merged too many threads into this monster thread.  Won’t be able to find anything

Not at all... anything that ends up in this thread a few days after the draft deserves to be in this cesspit...

41 minutes ago, Logic said:

For what its worth, Benjamin Allbright claims with certainty that Allen was QB1 on Bolls' board. He was one of the few who linked Allen to Bills all offseason and didn't waver.

Bills fans in the comments then insinuate that it sounds like Allen may have been a backup plan to Darnold or Mayfield, but Allbright reiterates that Allen is and always was their first choice at QB.

Take it or leave it, but that's what he claims.

Allbright was always very bullish over the past month or so that Allen was going to be the Bills pick...

Doubt that means he had a direct line to Beane or anything.. maybe he just got lucky...

He back flipped repeatedly on the other QB choices so I don't think he can claim to much credit there....

He is still a major knob in my opinion....

6 hours ago, Scorp83 said:

Exactly! Listen to this caller Brian...he called during the Sal interview... & he nailed everything point I had! I was on hold but after hearing him... there was no point to stay on hold lol!

04-30 Sal Capaccio with Howard and Jeremy - http://www.wgr550.com/media/podcast/howard-and-jeremy

The main thing he said was "How can this front office look at Watson tape & decide he isn't good enough...yet they're blown away by Allen?" Why didn't they draft Mahomes? Who had a big arm & was a little more establish then Allen?"

Man check it out

That was me. Brian from Arcade. Almost missed the call because I was making the kids lunches for school. 

Like Murph, Sal is in constant defend mode. 

NFL Coaches and GMs constantly tell their fans that “the tape” is the centerpiece of their evaluations, and that the Combine is useful mainly for the interviews/medical, not the measures. Josh Allen at #7 is a prime example of why that’s not always the case. Can’t be. No way you watched that career and concluded a Mountain West honorable mention was worth #12, #53, #56 and Cordy Glenn, but Deshaun Watson wasn’t worth #10 last year other than 6’5” and 82-yards worth of arm strength. 

Simply put, Beane and McDermott can’t get their head out of Carolina. They wanted their own big, strong armed QB that reminded them of Cam. They saw a 6’5” guy with a rocket and made their game tape/evaluation fit that decision. Listen to Beane speak about Allen. Sounds awfully similar to Nix/Whaley at the 2013 season ticket holders box club speaking about Manuel’s size and room presence and never once mentioning reading a defense or throwing accurately. 

How is Allen a better prospect than Cardale Jones? He’s not. Cardale had more college success, was the same size, had the same arm, was the same age coming out, was just as raw. But Whaley picked him and we can’t have that (ego). 

It it bothers me to hear 35/40-Year video vet Cosell talk about pocket presence & accuracy, and our GM is talking about snowy weather and running the ball. 

Once again the Bills are going for the Rudy story. Hoping beyond hope that they outsmarted the league by swimming away from logic and selecting the diamond in the rough. Sal is already talking about obtaining WRs with large “catch radius” to help inaccurate Allen (literally heard all of these ideas about Manuel - the footwork, picking brain of a vet, working with a QB guru, getting elite talent around him). 

Does our Coach really mean to change our offense to an aggressive throw deep style? You’re doing that with Kelvin Benjamin as your #1 and Zay Jones as your #2? 

After all it’s still snowy, cold Buffalo and we need to pound the ball. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

That was me. Brian from Arcade. Almost missed the call because I was making the kids lunches for school. 

Like Murph, Sal is in constant defend mode. 

NFL Coaches and GMs constantly tell their fans that “the tape” is the centerpiece of their evaluations, and that the Combine is useful mainly for the interviews/medical, not the measures. Josh Allen at #7 is a prime example of why that’s not always the case. Can’t be. No way you watched that career and concluded a Mountain West honorable mention was worth #12, #53, #56 and Cordy Glenn, but Deshaun Watson wasn’t worth #10 last year other than 6’5” and 82-yards worth of arm strength. 

Simply put, Beane and McDermott can’t get their head out of Carolina. They wanted their own big, strong armed QB that reminded them of Cam. They saw a 6’5” guy with a rocket and made their game tape/evaluation fit that decision. Listen to Beane speak about Allen. Sounds awfully similar to Nix/Whaley at the 2013 season ticket holders box club speaking about Manuel’s size and room presence and never once mentioning reading a defense or throwing accurately. 

How is Allen a better prospect than Cardale Jones? He’s not. Cardale had more college success, was the same size, had the same arm, was the same age coming out, was just as raw. But Whaley picked him and we can’t have that (ego). 

It it bothers me to hear 35/40-Year video vet Cosell talk about pocket presence & accuracy, and our GM is talking about snowy weather and running the ball. 

Once again the Bills are going for the Rudy story. Hoping beyond hope that they outsmarted the league by swimming away from logic and selecting the diamond in the rough. Sal is already talking about obtaining WRs with large “catch radius” to help inaccurate Allen (literally heard all of these ideas about Manuel - the footwork, picking brain of a vet, working with a QB guru, getting elite talent around him). 

Does our Coach really mean to change our offense to an aggressive throw deep style? You’re doing that with Kelvin Benjamin as your #1 and Zay Jones as your #2? 

After all it’s still snowy, cold Buffalo and we need to pound the ball. 

I didn’t want Allen. Honestly. Told all my fellow Bills fans, anyone but Allen. Then the Bills picked him. I could care less about what they gave up to grab him, the Bills still walked away with a full drafts worth of picks. 

Since Thursday I have been reading and watching more and more about Allen. I now  believe Allen is going to be good. I will also ask fans like you , why do you feel the need to  say Allen is going to fail? Are you preparing yourself if he doesn’t? Is it a self defense coping mechanism to prepare for disappointment? You have mentioned in a few posts that Beane and McDermott have their head stuck in Carolina. Where do you think your head is stuck? I think it is in the past. You are drawing from past let downs maybe even times you did believe. Now you are too smart to let that happen. I’d ask you and all Bills fans to cheer our guy on. Loyalty is appreciated. 

• Like (+1) 3

6 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Andrew Lucy is a surefire can't miss prospect who has played up to his billing.  The team has failed to protect him and put talent around him, and handled his injury abysmally.

Not a good example to support the "no one has a damn clue" notion

Good example of the "you need a franchise QB, but then you also

I knew someone would stand up for Kim Jung QB.  Has Bakin been reported to the authorities for his unwarranted criticisms?  And your misspelling of his name cannot be tolerated.  Please apologize and administer yourself 30 lashes.

6 hours ago, mannc said:

Kinda silly to compare Oklahoma to Univ of Wyoming.

Comparing each QB with the challenges faced in their respective circumstances is fair even if you happen not to get it from an evaluation perspective. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

1 hour ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I didn’t want Allen. Honestly. Told all my fellow Bills fans, anyone but Allen. Then the Bills picked him. I could care less about what they gave up to grab him, the Bills still walked away with a full drafts worth of picks. 

Since Thursday I have been reading and watching more and more about Allen. I now  believe Allen is going to be good. I will also ask fans like you , why do you feel the need to  say Allen is going to fail? Are you preparing yourself if he doesn’t? Is it a self defense coping mechanism to prepare for disappointment? You have mentioned in a few posts that Beane and McDermott have their head stuck in Carolina. Where do you think your head is stuck? I think it is in the past. You are drawing from past let downs maybe even times you did believe. Now you are too smart to let that happen. I’d ask you and all Bills fans to cheer our guy on. Loyalty is appreciated. 

Don't be afraid of opinions.

8 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

B) An honest host would say "Honestly, Brandon, I probably wouldn't have made that pick. But it's your job to make those picks, not mine." See? Respectful, yet honest.

This is why people call Buffalo sports media a joke.  This is a perfectly reasonable line of questioning, especially since they've been so vocal against the pick.

2 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

My head is stuck at what I said originally. 

What is the logic from Beane and McDermott coveting Allen past he’s tall and has a big arm? 

I’ve listened to two interviews from Beane now. What did you like about Allen? He’s big, tall, physical, has a big arm to play in Buffalo conditions.

In the second interview he mentioned Cam Newton by name. Beane didn’t talk about reading a defense until specifically asked to define Allen’s college responsibilities. 

My opinion in their decision making remains unchanged by new interviews. Josh Allen is here because he’s tall and has a big arm, and throwing the football with accuracy from the pocket with anticipation is not a discerning trait.

My problem is - this is why Russel Wilson is not a Bill. Nix loved everything about him except he wished he was a few inches taller. Whaley loved Manuel because of his presence. Cardale Jones was a massive QB with the same “raw talent”. 

We’ve seen this type of draft pick before from Buffalo, for the same reasons as our GM is giving now. This time we traded #12, #53, #56 and Cordy Glenn to do it, while passing on Mahomes, Watson and Rosen along the way. 

Hope all the data projects the wrong outcome and Allen is the anomaly. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Putin said:

So does that mean Allen will be a colossal bust ? If ye please tell me and ( maybe you can ) save me and so many others hopeful here the heartache of inevitability !

It means he has maybe a 1:10 chance of becoming a successful NFL QB. 

Guys like him don't work out in the NFL. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Still hate the pick but I have been overly critical to the person and I regret that.  He sent out some stupid tweets when he was young but other than that, he seems like a good dude.

im just worried about him as a player and I have serious doubts.  I’m praying he proves me wrong.

10 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

Wrong on Wentz. Wrong on Prescott.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2016/qbase-2016

At least it was slightly positive. 

Guys with negative ratings never work out in the NFL. 

9 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

Why watch the movie when you know the ending.. and you hate it ? I'd never tell another fan to go watch another team, or question their fandom. I'm just always curious why anyone would be entertained by anything that they have no good outlook for actually being entertaining. I won't watch Patriots games because of this. I feel I already know the ending and I won't like it. It's not entertaining, so I don't do it. There has to be some hope for positive outcomes, otherwise why bother? It's a sort of masochism .

Entertainment and winning games aren't necessarily the same thing. 

2 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

There are lies, damned lies, and statistics. I'll believe my eyes. Allen has the potential to be great. Will it be realized. We'll see.There are negatives to every player coming out of the draft and there is no guarantee of success or failure, only probabilities based on limited metrics.

4 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

There are lies, damned lies, and statistics. I'll believe my eyes. Allen has the potential to be great. Will it be realized. We'll see.There are negatives to every player coming out of the draft and there is no guarantee of success or failure, only probabilities based on limited metrics.

I hope you're right. 

I'm just not holding my breath. I hope he gets enough time to sit on the bench and learn how to play the position. The longer he sits the more beneficial I think it will be for his development. 

How did QBASE rate these guys?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/737668-the-opposite-of-busts-the-top-5-quarterbacks-the-nfl-didnt-see-coming

Brady should be on the list too, and many others. Dave Krieg went to Milton College, and he had something like a 17 yr NFL career.

If QBASE was 100% effective, why haven't teams eliminated their scouting departments and film study? It's interesting, but it's not the end all and be all.

19 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

I believe my eyes as well, some of the throws he made are incredible, you can only make them with his type of arm talent. And he also makes some head scratching throws. Time will tell, but I like that we took a gamble on a guy with generational arm talent and a insanely quick release. And you are spot on, every one of these QB's had negatives, but none of them have the ceiling that Allen does. Go bills.

19 minutes ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

Great film study video of Allen

It's an odd review.  The author says "one read offense" is part of "the bad" but all examples showed Allen making the 1st read and zipping the ball on time and with accuracy.  He also claims "unsteady under pressure" is part of "the bad" but for which QBs is it not?  The first part of the "study" shows Allen making play after play out of the pocket, presumably after avoiding pressure.

It's clear that Allen believes his arm can overcome just about anything.  Gunslinger for sure.  I can recall a number of great QBs with this mentality (Elway, Kelly, Favre).  He'll need to be coached as to when taking those chances is a "good" risk vs. a bad one.

What I didn't see in that video were any glaring examples of inaccuracy.

• Like (+1) 4

6 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

How did QBASE rate these guys?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/737668-the-opposite-of-busts-the-top-5-quarterbacks-the-nfl-didnt-see-coming

Brady should be on the list too, and many others. Dave Krieg went to Milton College, and he had something like a 17 yr NFL career.

If QBASE was 100% effective, why haven't teams eliminated their scouting departments and film study? It's interesting, but it's not the end all and be all.

Because the nfl is the most conservative, slowest adapting league in pro sports!  Remember when Miami started the wildcat and then everyone started doing it.  

8 minutes ago, Jeetz1231 said:

I believe my eyes as well, some of the throws he made are incredible, you can only make them with his type of arm talent. And he also makes some head scratching throws. Time will tell, but I like that we took a gamble on a guy with generational arm talent and a insanely quick release. And you are spot on, every one of these QB's had negatives, but none of them have the ceiling that Allen does. Go bills.

Kelly had a lot of head scratching throws and he had a relatively poor TD/Int ratio. He made a lot of plays though.

6 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Because the nfl is the most conservative, slowest adapting league in pro sports!  Remember when Miami started the wildcat and then everyone started doing it.  

You can put metrics around anything and draw conclusions. Whether they are the right metrics and whether they tell the whole story is an entirely different matter.

Maybe AI will take over scouting one day. I suppose it's possible, but I don't think we are quite there yet.

Edited by Sky Diver

2 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Comparing each QB with the challenges faced in their respective circumstances is fair even if you happen not to get it from an evaluation perspective. 

Still upset that Beane didn’t trade our entire draft (and half of next year’s), like you said he HAD to do?

3 minutes ago, mannc said:

Still upset that Beane didn’t trade our entire draft (and half of next year’s), like you said he HAD to do?

I never said anything remotely close to that and he did give up two 2nd round picks in the trade up to secure Allen.  WTH does your response have to do with a comparison between Mayfield and Allen?  :lol:

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

55 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

It means he has maybe a 1:10 chance of becoming a successful NFL QB. 

Guys like him don't work out in the NFL. 

The interesting nugget for me is what the decision making logic was driving the new regime (Beane and McDermott) to spend #12, #53, #56 and Cordy Glenn on Josh Allen while trading away a similar developmental guy in Cardale Jones? 

Beane wasn’t here when McDermott passed on Mahomes and Watson, but if they wanted the big arm, why didn’t they draft Mahomes last season? How do you watch Watson’s career and conclude he’s not worth one first round pick, but Allen is worth trading up for? 

What reason(s) past he’s tall and has a big arm are there? Because through two interviews they sound like Whaley speaking about Manuel. Presence and really tall, nothing about accurate passing and scoring points. 

10 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I never said anything remotely close to that and he did give up two 2nd round picks in the trade up to secure Allen.  WTH does your response have to do with a comparison between Mayfield and Allen?  :lol:

The “comparison” between Mayfield and Allen was absurd.  Mayfield faced adversity because he lost a couple WRs?  Give me a break.  How many 4 and 5 star guys do you think they had in the stable, ready to step in?  To compare that to Allen’s situation at Wyoming is laughable.

And yes, you were one of the crowd who were banging the drum all offseason for Beane to do “whatever it takes” to move up to 2.

1 hour ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

Great film study video of Allen

So let me get this right.. they show good that he scans the field

then after that bad that its one read offense?

and then in that one read offense he is zipping ball out of there within 3 seconds? I don't get it.

So many good throws out of pocket, running for his life... that's something amazing in itself.

One other thing I noticed.. He realizes when he needs to loop that ball in air or when to throw a bullet.. This was the problem JP had and EJ had.

and the fact that he has shown improvement in his workouts speaks dividends!

He was not my guy when he was drafted but now we have Allen.. Allen is a Buffalo Bill and I am backing him because of that.

this isn't called blind faith this is called backing what is on the field. IF you don't like the product when he plays regular season

football then great.. till then I hope for the best and root for the team.

Anyhow.. The kid has talent and there is no way to deny this. Will it translate to the NFL level? no one really knows for sure

but I will be rooting for him.

I see we've moved from mass hysteria because Rosen wasn't chosen to grudging acceptance and growing enthusiasm to the second wave of entrenched pessimism.  The hardliners aren't going to budge unless Allen's play forces them to.  No worries and no surprises on who is in that camp.  Have fun griping fellas.  Oh, the view that Allen is Cardale Jones, that's just so cute.

14 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

The interesting nugget for me is what the decision making logic was driving the new regime (Beane and McDermott) to spend #12, #53, #56 and Cordy Glenn on Josh Allen while trading away a similar developmental guy in Cardale Jones? 

Beane wasn’t here when McDermott passed on Mahomes and Watson, but if they wanted the big arm, why didn’t they draft Mahomes last season? How do you watch Watson’s career and conclude he’s not worth one first round pick, but Allen is worth trading up for? 

What reason(s) past he’s tall and has a big arm are there? Because through two interviews they sound like Whaley speaking about Manuel. Presence and really tall, nothing about accurate passing and scoring points. 

Cardale played in the Urban Meyer Spread-Option offense.  Likely didn't call a play in the huddle, never set a protection, never took a snap under center.  He only threw the ball 269 times in college before he went professional.  He didn't come off as a particularly bright guy, or x's and o's guy. 

His accuracy woes were alarmingly bad, and he had a national championship caliber team with playmakers like Zeke elliot and Michael thomas.  He mustered 8 TDs.

That guy was a project in every sense of the word.  They preferred Peterman because I think they were more confident he could develop into a capable backup QB. 

10 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

So let me get this right.. they show good that he scans the field

then after that bad that its one read offense?

and then in that one read offense he is zipping ball out of there within 3 seconds? I don't get it.

So many good throws out of pocket, running for his life... that's something amazing in itself.

One other thing I noticed.. He realizes when he needs to loop that ball in air or when to throw a bullet.. This was the problem JP had and EJ had.

and the fact that he has shown improvement in his workouts speaks dividends!

He was not my guy when he was drafted but now we have Allen.. Allen is a Buffalo Bill and I am backing him because of that.

this isn't called blind faith this is called backing what is on the field. IF you don't like the product when he plays regular season

football then great.. till then I hope for the best and root for the team.

Anyhow.. The kid has talent and there is no way to deny this. Will it translate to the NFL level? no one really knows for sure

but I will be rooting for him.

Exactly - if he sucks.  I will be honest and say he sucks.  If he's great - I'll root like hell for the guy.  

8 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I see we've moved from mass hysteria because Rosen wasn't chosen to grudging acceptance and growing enthusiasm to the second wave of entrenched pessimism.  The hardliners aren't going to budge unless Allen's play forces them to.  No worries and no surprises on who is in that camp.  Have fun griping fellas.  Oh, the view that Allen is Cardale Jones, that's just so cute.

My biggest Jones gripe was how many OSU games he went to in 2016.  I feel like he was there every week.  I know you're the 3rd QB and stuff... but one would think you'd care enough to TRY and show that you should be playing.

• Like (+1) 4

19 minutes ago, mannc said:

The “comparison” between Mayfield and Allen was absurd.  Mayfield faced adversity because he lost a couple WRs?  Give me a break.  How many 4 and 5 star guys do you think they had in the stable, ready to step in?  To compare that to Allen’s situation at Wyoming is laughable.

And yes, you were one of the crowd who were banging the drum all offseason for Beane to do “whatever it takes” to move up to 2.

They both of course were going to be compared in every way as QBs in the 2018 draft class so what are you even saying.  Silly statement!

That's exactly what you do if you believe in a QB prospect just as the Eagles and Rams did.  

1 hour ago, jrober38 said:

Your mistake is failing to recognize that great QBs are often outliers.  Before Brady, no sixth rounder had done what he’s done; before Kurt Warner, no one had gone from Arena League to MVP; no one with Favre’s track record succeeded before he did it, etc...Allen was a big-time NFL prospect because of projections of what he can become.  There aren’t a lot of comparables, but that doesn’t mean he won’t succeed.  His numbers at Wyoming don’t tell us much at all.

Beane has at least been consistent and true to his philosophy in he draft. He puts a lot of emphasis on pure, unadulterated physical talent. You see that as much in his choice of Edmunds as you do in the Allen pick. Edmunds too is a risky pick with stratospheric upside. Swing for the fences.

Having said that it's clear to me that nothing Beane has done is reckless. To those who say Allen is just another in a long and depressing sequence of strong arm boneheads with bad fundamentals lacking the special instincts needed to play the position I say forget the stat sheet and go back and check out the tape. Much of the negative comments are just analytically lazy.

Hes a rough cut diamond in need of polishing - and lots of it. But he has clearly and not infrequently demonstrated the ability to do all the things you ideally want him to do exactly the way you want him to do it. And when he does the results are what you expect to see given his physical skillset. That's what separates him from the losers he is too often and unfairly lumped together with. Without that evidence Beane would never have drafted him. The Bills did not just fall in love with a big arm. They have correctly seen a lot more to like than just that. Beane has been bold but at the same time careful in analyzing the risk/reward profile.

i was for Rosen myself. I think he was the best prospect in this year's class all things considered. But Allen Has a higher ceiling as far as upside projections are concerned. If Beane and the Bills are rewarded for the aggressive decision they have taken they are going to have one heck of a QB.

Edited by starrymessenger
  • Like (+1) 1