RD1, Pick 7: Josh Allen QB - Wyoming

SDS

36 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

My guess is that Beane's and McDermott's employment with the Bills will be over by the end of the 2019 season as a result of yesterday's disaster.

That's fair but don't dwell on it too much. This board will become borderline unreadable if it's filled with people talking about how much Josh Allen sucks before he's even been to his first training camp. At least wait for him to hit the hospitality tent before you declare him a bust. When you buy a lottery ticket you don't spend all day bitching about how stupid you are and how probability says you're going to lose. You wait for the numbers to be called and hope you hit the jackpot.

The thing that really gets me angry.

If we had let the Cardinals "win" for Allen, we could have potentially traded #65 / #166 for Rosen, done the same deal with Baltimore for Edmunds (give them 56 instead of 65) and been sitting with Rosen / Edmunds / pick 53

In reality it wasn't just Allen vs Rosen.  It was Rosen + a 2nd vs Allen + a 5th

Edited by Chuck Wagon
  • Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

If we had let the Cardinals "win" for Allen, we could have potentially traded #65 / #166 for Rosen, done the same deal with Baltimore for Edmunds (give them 56 instead of 65) and been sitting with Rosen / Edmunds / pick 53

In reality it wasn't just Allen vs Rosen.  It was Rosen + a 2nd vs Allen + a 5th

Problem is NFL quarterback is the one position in all sports where you can’t really afford to wait and take what is left behind. 

This is evidenced by the fact that all teams that didn’t hold the #1 overall pick that drafted a quarterback traded up to do so. 

4 hours ago, The Virginian said:

He got them to the conference championship in 2016 and missed it by one game in 2017.

In a butt-nugget conference like the MWC? -If he' would have won it a couple of times, or even ONCE, I could justify the interest... This team always falls for the flash.  -At this point, there's absolutely NO SUBSTANCE to Josh Allen...

Edited by #34fan
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Chuck Wagon said:

Just got to let it go man.

I have been pissed for years how our GM would not do what needed to be done to get their guy at QB in a draft. This FO did what they had to do to get their guy. This alone should satisfy all Bills fans. Yeah, we prob over spent a extra 2nd rd pick. In the grand scheme of it all is not even worth talking about. Beane did what he had to do.

We all need to bound together and support this kid. The future is now and nothing is going to change.

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

I can get there on Allen.  I can certainly appreciate the work that was done to get the #3 (or higher) QB on their board given where they started, keep enough to add a stud LB prospect and not give up any future picks.  It was very well executed.  If Baker - Rosen - Darnold go off the board 1-3 in some combo and everything else played out liked it did, I would be pretty happy.

But man, Allen over Rosen because he can throw better in 2-4 games a year just feels like such a classic garbage idiot Bills move.

I don't buy that as the reason it was Allen over Rosen. I just don't think they would have drafted Rosen even if they had stayed put at 12. There was some other reason why they didn't like the guy , and Beane seemed uninterested in saying why they didn't like him. I don't think there was any knock on Rosen about hand size or anything like that, it was just something else. 

Just now, akm0404 said:

I resume you also skewered the Eagles for mortgaging the house for strong-armed small conference Carson Wentz too, right?

Fair point, but I still worry because Wentz was actually a successful college player. Allen has all the tools, but any measure of success has yet to follow. 

7 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

I think it's quite possible that the Cards would have chosen Allen, and the Bills would have passed on Rosen at 12. I just don't think they wanted that player, at any spot. 

9 minutes ago, lookylookyherecomescookie said:

First, I wanted Rosen

Second, I realize that the Bills know more than I do

But I just wanted to address the accuracy question regarding Rosen and Allen

Allen's completion % was 56.3% in 2017,  Rosen's  62.2%.  Now I realize that there are numerous variables such as types of passes attempted,  YPA, quality  of defenses played against, quality of offensive line and receivers, etc., but what we're talking about is 6 completions more per 100 attempts with Rosen, or approx. 2 per game  (assuming 33 pass attempts per game).  (At a yards per completion of 10 which was the approximate nfl 2017 avg. we're talking 20 yards). Is it possible, assuming no improvement on Allen's part, that it's ok to accept two fewer completions in return for a player who might  better fit the culture of the team that Mcbeane is attempting to build, might be more durable, and is certainly more mobile (fewer sacks).

Allen may make it, may fail,  but maybe this trade-off is worth it.

I also do not want to make excuses for Allen's accuracy

But I think that the style of offense has merit.....hardly any screen passes for Allen where as Rosen threw a ton....that DOES affect completion percentage.....down field throws considerably affect this because they are less percentage lays.

8 hours ago, Foxx said:

nothing wrong with being wrong, as long as you are not fanatical about it. wait a minute... isn't that where the word fan is derived from? oh well anyhoo... i guesss the only question i have is, are you going to defend him to the ends of the Earth if he stinks? oh, oh yeah... did you finally removed that Tyrod Fathead from the ceiling yet or are you still in mourning?

just razzing ya a bit... ;)

Well... the Bills homer glasses are coming on already... so probably for longer than I should :flirt:

Hell, I'm already kinda hoping he beats out McCarron this summer and is the starting QB from week 1, even though intellectually I think he needs to sit for a year.

I am fanatic... can't help it  0:)

1 minute ago, Boatdrinks said:

I don't buy that as the reason it was Allen over Rosen. I just don't think they would have drafted Rosen even if they had stayed put at 12. There was some other reason why they didn't like the guy , and Beane seemed uninterested in saying why they didn't like him. I don't think there was any knock on Rosen about hand size or anything like that, it was just something else. 

That may very well be true, but why not they just preferred Allen because long-term they thought he would be the better qb and a better fit for Buffalo?

11 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

I honestly believe Rosen had no interest in being in Cleveland or Buffalo.  I think he tried to steer to New York over Cleveland, it went too far and cost him several spots, but he was thrilled to land in Arizona vs Buffalo.

Look at the teams potentially rumored to be in on QB around our range.  Miami.  Arizona.  Chargers.  New Orleans.  New England.  Rosen isn't a Bill because he didn't want to be a Bill.  I think Josh Allen is out of his mind thrilled to be a Buffalo Bill this morning.  I don't think Rosen would have felt the same way.  Ultimately I think that's what swung it.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Dr. Who said:

That may very well be true, but why not they just preferred Allen because long-term they thought he would be the better qb and a better fit for Buffalo?

In a sense, yes. I'm just to the OPs premise that if the Cards had moved up they would do so for Rosen. The word last night was that AZ was also targeting Allen, but ultimately made a less costly deal for Rosen. It was predicted before the draft that Rosen was the most likely QB to fall on the boards. I don't think the Bills would have taken him, they'd have waited for someone else. That's all. 

• Like (+1) 1

75% of you are idiots. Josh will be the best QB in this draft. Book it. 

I've watched every single one of Josh's snaps in college and I can tell you that he's a leader and commands respect. JA is the most competitive and hard-working QB you will ever see. He's smart and takes instruction well. Humble kid. Highest wonderlic among the big time QBs. 

Brinkus said before the draft that he has the strongest arm in NFL history and the fastest release time that they have ever measure on sports science. And most of you guys act like he's some bum. smh. You will not believe it when you see him throw the ball. It's unreal. It's akin to Rembrandt painting or Einstein doing physics. Josh was put on this earth to throw a football. watch the master work. It's possible that he's got the most gifted arm ever

Josh also had the best broad jump, vertical and 40 among the top QBs. 

The only guy in two years that could really tackle Josh one v one was Vander Esh from Boise who just went 19th to the Cowboys. It's unreal how well he moves and how powerful and nimble he is at his size. It's honestly a lot like Cam Newton. Watch the tape and you will see countless broken tackles and outrun defenders.

This brings me to the main point. Josh has had no coaching. Brent Vigen, QB coach and O coordinator, sucks worse than any coach I've ever known of. He runs a pro-style offense that is the least imaginative, easiest to defend, predictable piece of **** known to man. Wyoming averaged the worst yards per rush in the MWC with a future 1st round talent. Everyone was keying on Josh and would drop a ton into coverage and we could still only manage a meager rushing attack. 

Wyoming lost to San Jose with out Josh. let that sink in. the worst team in college football. He was the sole reason we won any games and he dragged us to 8. 8 wins! He's a winner. We won because of his unimaginable talent... and a stingy d at times. There were dropped passes every game. Playcalling was atrocious and predictable. 

don't be uninformed sheep

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

I honestly believe Rosen had no interest in being in Cleveland or Buffalo.  I think he tried to steer to New York over Cleveland, it went too far and cost him several spots, but he was thrilled to land in Arizona vs Buffalo.

Look at the teams potentially rumored to be in on QB around our range.  Miami.  Arizona.  Chargers.  New Orleans.  New England.  Rosen isn't a Bill because he didn't want to be a Bill.  I think Josh Allen is out of his mind thrilled to be a Buffalo Bill this morning.  I don't think Rosen would have felt the same way.  Ultimately I think that's what swung it.

If that's the case, clean out the entire FO and bring in some real leadership. Imagine passing on Jim Kelly because he didnt want to be here. Tail wagging the dog if you ask me.

2 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Maybe, but it's the team drafting the player not the other way around. I don't think this was anything close to a Manning situation . I just think the team didn't like the player, perhaps it was mutual? Either way, the Bills weren't taking Rosen if he was there at 12. I think they keep the picks and take Lamar Jackson later on.