RD1, Pick 7: Josh Allen QB - Wyoming

SDS

2 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

I'm aware of various college systems. I'm also aware that a good passer of the football will tend to have a good passer rating regardless of system. A quarterback that struggles passing the football will not magically become a great passer when he makes the transition to the NFL.

When is the last quarterback to succeed in the NFL after having a passer rating ranked in the 80's in his final season of college? I'll wait.

Unless I am missing something Josh Allen's QB rating in college was 137.7 with a 44 to 21 TD to INT ratio. Completion percentage was relatively low but Allen was pretty productive for what its worth. 

3 minutes ago, Figster said:

Elite athletes run the more precise routes, get better separation, have a bigger catching radius, adjust to the football better then your average WR in my humble opinion. The better O coordinators/systems at the college level, or successful is perhaps a more appropriate description also run a more QB friendly style Offense IMO. Alabama for instance with its run 1st mentality on O and stiff Defense wins championships with practically anyone behind center and why A J McCarron failed to get recognition.

I get your point , but when you put a big armed smart kid behind a good Oline and provide him with an elite supporting cast like Shady at the RB position good things can happen in my humble opinion.

Our OL is rebuilding and we have arguably the worst group of receivers in the NFL.

Seems like a bad fit. 

49 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Eric Wood is obviously going to wax poetic on a big bills draft pick. He would had said the exact same thing if we traded up Joe nobody. 

Love wood too I'm basically saying he's a super nice guy so I can't really put any stock in his take.

I wasnt looking to him for opinion on the pick. I think it was nice to post a supportive tweet. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, K-9 said:

Shades of the reception Donovan McNabb received when he was selected by Philly. While I have the same concerns about his accuracy issues, he has other traits that are superior. And I suspect that his footwork can be improved which will lend itself to better accuracy. He’s ours now. Let’s get behind the kid.

I hope you're right, K9, but this one kinda hurt. 

15 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Better shut the message board down, then. Nothing to talk about until games are played.

My guess is that Beane's and McDermott's employment with the Bills will be over by the end of the 2019 season as a result of yesterday's disaster.

MY guess is they win a playoff game next year.  We'll see who's right.

18 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Better shut the message board down, then. Nothing to talk about until games are played.

My guess is that Beane's and McDermott's employment with the Bills will be over by the end of the 2019 season as a result of yesterday's disaster.

My guess is that you would have typed that no matter what they did.  This management team will succeed.  Just watch.

I wanted the other Josh.  He is more pro ready. 

However, the Bills picked Allen not Rosen and now I am rooting like hell for Josh Allen.  My worries are that the Bills really don't have a QB technician on staff.  Culley is a WR coach; Daboll coached TE's; Robiskie is WR coach. 

The Bills need to put Jordan Palmer on retainer if Josh Allen's footwork and read skills have improved under his guidance.  Allen has both a footwork and a read issue.  The read issue is more that he has too much faith in his arm. He is slow on his progressions because he waits for someone to come open too long and then he sees a small window and thinks he can gun it into that window.  His feet often aren't pointed in the direction of the throw so the super velocity is not there or it sails.  The guy has all the natural talent in the world and I really don't worry about his read skills like EJ Manuel --he has a good feel for the game.  Its too much arm faith and bad footwork.  He needs daily instruction and the Bills, I fear, have noone to give him that.  They just made a significant investment in the player--now its time to invest in a great technician to instruct him every day.

Edited by JoeF
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Our OL is rebuilding and we have arguably the worst group of receivers in the NFL.

Seems like a bad fit. 

I can't argue with Buffalo being in a bit of a rebuild mode.

Myself personally though, I love the fit.

A J McCarron is a good QB and should fill in nicely through the growing pains in my humble opinion jrober38

6 minutes ago, JoeF said:

I wanted the other Josh.  He is more pro ready. 

However, the Bills picked Allen not Rosen and now I am rooting like hell for Josh Allen.  My worries are that the Bills really don't have a QB technician on staff.  Culley is a WR coach; Daboll coached TE's; Robiskie is WR coach. 

The Bills need to put Jordan Palmer on retainer if Josh Allen's footwork and read skills have improved under his guidance.  Allen has both a footwork and a read issue.  The read issue is more that he has too much faith in his arm. He is slow on his progressions because he waits for someone to come open too long and then he sees a small window and thinks he can gun it into that window.  His feet often aren't pointed in the direction of the throw so the super velocity is not there or it sails.  The guy has all the natural talent in the world and I really don't worry about his read skills like EJ Manuel --he has a good feel for the game.  Its too much arm faith and bad footwork.  He needs daily instruction and the Bills, I fear, have noone to give him that.  They just made a significant investment in the player--now its time to invest in a great technician to instruct him every day.

Daboll Wanted to be QB coach at NE but they gave it to McDaniels.  I'm not sure he's going to be a mechanics guy, but i imagine he sees through the QBs eyes better than Dennison.

11 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

I'm aware of various college systems. I'm also aware that a good passer of the football will tend to have a good passer rating regardless of system. A quarterback that struggles passing the football will not magically become a great passer when he makes the transition to the NFL.

When is the last quarterback to succeed in the NFL after having a passer rating ranked in the 80's in his final season of college? I'll wait.

Your right.  players normally improve year over year.  I would ask what changed for Wyoming in 2016 to 2017.  2016 Allen had much better personal around him, in 2017 his skill players where very inexperience.  In 2016 he had a higher rating than Rosen.  Call it an excuse.  Sam Darnold operated out of a much more Qb friendly offense and from 2016 to 2017 Darnolds rating dropped at about the same rate Allens did.  Why? his skill players and o lineman left and he had inexperienced players around him.  Qb rating is not the end all nor is completion %.  We are talking about modern era so the Qbs of the 80 and 90 do not count.  i would argue this past season Allen's offense was closer to that era of football than the one it is in.  You dont like him that is fine.  Im very high on him.   We can both agree that Allen has the most potential than any Qb has had here since Kelly.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dneveu said:

Daboll Wanted to be QB coach at NE but they gave it to McDaniels.  I'm not sure he's going to be a mechanics guy, but i imagine he sees through the QBs eyes better than Dennison.

Still think they need to bring someone else in...look at this interview with Mayock..Allen is very comfortable with Palmer. Hell, Terry and Kim should just buy Jordan's company and have him establish a Buffalo Office.

I can get there on Allen.  I can certainly appreciate the work that was done to get the #3 (or higher) QB on their board given where they started, keep enough to add a stud LB prospect and not give up any future picks.  It was very well executed.  If Baker - Rosen - Darnold go off the board 1-3 in some combo and everything else played out liked it did, I would be pretty happy.

But man, Allen over Rosen because he can throw better in 2-4 games a year just feels like such a classic garbage idiot Bills move.

Just now, JoeF said:

Still think they need to bring someone else in...look at this interview with Mayock..Allen is very comfortable with Palmer. Hell, Terry and Kim should just buy Jordan's company and have him establish a Buffalo Office.

Yeah - I know bringing in Daboll was an indication that they knew they needed someone who's worked with a lot of different QBs.  Hopefully they can get someone to get on the same page with him mechanically.  

It's weird to look at him because he didn't play at a high school where they developed his mechanics a ton, and he didn't play at a big college... And despite all of that, he's actually got a good release, and pretty solid footwork.

2 hours ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

In this case, 34 thinks Edmunds is going to bust even though he is projected to be a monster. And maybe it is for the best that Allen isn't hyped. We won't be disappointed...

I think he's going to be a bust (for the Bills) because there  are significant holes in his game... Being incredibly young, he has a shot at a decent career, even after he leaves the Bills...

And, to be clear, it's Beane that I'm disappointed in... QB fever got to him.. I expected more composure.

• Haha (+1) 1

First, I wanted Rosen

Second, I realize that the Bills know more than I do

But I just wanted to address the accuracy question regarding Rosen and Allen

Allen's completion % was 56.3% in 2017,  Rosen's  62.2%.  Now I realize that there are numerous variables such as types of passes attempted,  YPA, quality  of defenses played against, quality of offensive line and receivers, etc., but what we're talking about is 6 completions more per 100 attempts with Rosen, or approx. 2 per game  (assuming 33 pass attempts per game).  (At a yards per completion of 10 which was the approximate nfl 2017 avg. we're talking 20 yards). Is it possible, assuming no improvement on Allen's part, that it's ok to accept two fewer completions in return for a player who might  better fit the culture of the team that Mcbeane is attempting to build, might be more durable, and is certainly more mobile (fewer sacks).

Allen may make it, may fail,  but maybe this trade-off is worth it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dneveu said:

Right?  He's the guy.  LETS DO THIS!!!

Hell yeah Brotha!

I just gotta throw my feelings/QB rankings aside and trust what Beane and McD are seeing that most fans are not.

This is the earliest and 1st time in franchise history we have ever drafted a QB in the top 10.

Welcome to Buffalo Josh Allen! Go kick some serious ass..........